BINDGE Drinking

ronthai

Why does everyone get hung on on whether or not they are an alcoholic. It is just a word that is used to describe problem drinking. It is not like pregnancy where you either are or are not but is a term to designate a medical condition that some drinkers have

If you are a binge drinker then you are an alcoholic period, full stop. Normal people don't binge drink, normal people can walk away from a half empty glass at a bar or cafe, normal people don't have to get drunk every time they drink

If you don't want to call yourself an alcoholic then that is your preference but it is obvious to me that you feel you have a drinking problem or you would not be posting in an open forum

There is no cure for alcoholism, only the awareness that certain people cannot control their drinking and it will only get worse as time goes by. So far you have taken the first step, now it is up to you to choose whether or not your are going to quit entirely or continue and watch and see if all those things that you say are not happening to you now, start happening to you in the future.

Unfortunately I can guarantee you that they will since the other insidious part of alcoholism is that it is a progressive disease with the final outcome being death

Why would he be an alcoholic?Because he feel comfortable and relaxed when he stay at a bar? or because he enjoys the taste of an alcoholic drink now and then and let himself go.

I'm sure there must be a similar word then for people who enjoy dinner buffets.

I'm almost similar to the OP. For the first 14 years of my stay in Thailand i went out every night 7 days a week till 7-8 am. Spending 1500 - 2000 each night on drinks only.

For the past 5 years i have been out maybe 10 times in total and buy a bottle of what I like every 2 - 3 weeks or so, but when I have the bottle at home it will be emptied in 2 - 3 nights maximum, because I enjoy the taste and relaxation, so don't restrict myself. When the bottle is empty I may buy a next one in another 2 - 3 weeks. I can't remember I've been drinking alcohol before 7pm as long as I stay here.

Am I also an alcoholic ? I don't think so .

You don't mention whether or not you can stop drinking once you've started drinking alcohol. If you can't stop drinking, then yes, you are probably an alcoholic.

I mentioned that I don't see a reason to stop something I enjoy. But When I don't have a drink for weeks in kine, I also don't have any craving for one.

If that is your definition of an addict, then how do you call someone who goes to a restaurant and stays there for hours ordering delicious foods, until he's full.

For me an alcoholic is someone who can't go a few days without alcohol, and drinks to drink, not someone who enjoys what he's drinking.

"I mentioned that I don't see a reason to stop something I enjoy. But When I don't have a drink for weeks in kine, I also don't have any craving for one."

You still don't tell us whether you can stop. if you wish, once you've started drinking. Doing something in excess, even though you may enjoy it, may still be bad for you.

"If that is your definition of an addict, then how do you call someone who goes to a restaurant and stays there for hours ordering delicious foods, until he's full."

Someone who can stop when full is not an addict. An addict would keep on eating either at the restaurant or at home. Again, it's about not being able to stop once started.

"For me an alcoholic is someone who can't go a few days without alcohol, and drinks to drink, not someone who enjoys what he's drinking."

I binge drank for years, before my boozing escalated, and I could go for weeks and even a month or two without drinking. When I drank, I couldn't stop. I can tell you that I enjoyed what I drank, I enjoyed a good wine or a single malt scotch.

If you can't stop drinking once you start, you might be an alcoholic.

• Like 2

Some people are physically addicted to the sauce. If they stop, they will go through withdrawal. I had that problem for ten years. One day I just stopped, and had tremors and hallucinations. That is downright dangerous. I could only stop for six months, but I never felt better or happier in my life. I started running and my former drinking buddies became downright resentful.

The strange part is, I missed the drinking. It must have been something in my brain that wanted the effects. I became as you are. Never drink at home, I exercise 5 days a week...have cars and motorbikes but ride a bicycle with my gal. I am almost euphoric for sometimes two weeks, but most of the time only one week. I do not know why I miss it, but I end up binge drinking. I wont stop once I start. After two beers, it is like I become glued to the seat and my legs go hollow. I drink endlessly, until somebody (usually its my girl) lies to me and tells me we are going to a new, exciting club and meeting lots of pals there. It always works because I think, at that point, I start mumbling in strange languages. Cannot possible sit in a bar and drink water, as one person suggested. I am bored to death. The alcohol puts me in a different perspective.

I consider myself an alcoholic. If I was left to my own devices, I would probably get one of those stinking apartments right over a bar, so I would not have to be far from it. It is also for that reason, more likely than others, that I remained in Southeast Asia for 18 years, with only four short trips back to the States.

To put it bluntly, most of my time is sober, but the one night I go out for 4 or 5 hours seems like heaven, but, as I am told, is like Hell. I know the next day will be.

Professionals as in some stranger who gonna dictate how someone has to run his life.

Are that the same professionals who say that smoking is bad for you because of the nicotine, then advise to smoke electronic cigarettes, which contain even more of the bad stuff.

I think Luckyluke has said it very well, couldn't have formulated it better.

Really, do electronic cigarettes have an endorsement from the Cancer Society stating that they are OK ?

The problem with cigarette smoking has never been the nicotine, it has always been the accumulated tars, carbon dioxide, and other carcinogens contained in cigarette smoke

You are not the OP and since you are not an alcoholic by your definition, you really should not post on a subject that you clearly are not familiar with

• Like 2

Professionals as in some stranger who gonna dictate how someone has to run his life.

Are that the same professionals who say that smoking is bad for you because of the nicotine, then advise to smoke electronic cigarettes, which contain even more of the bad stuff.

I think Luckyluke has said it very well, couldn't have formulated it better.

Really, do electronic cigarettes have an endorsement from the Cancer Society stating that they are OK ?

The problem with cigarette smoking has never been the nicotine, it has always been the accumulated tars, carbon dioxide, and other carcinogens contained in cigarette smoke

You are not the OP and since you are not an alcoholic by your definition, you really should not post on a subject that you clearly are not familiar with

Last time I checked there was not moderator under your username, so where do you think you got the authority to define who is allowed to post or not to post .

Say it loud, I'm an alcoholic and I'm proud bah.gif

Edited by JesseFrank

To the Original Poster. I have no idea if you are an alcoholic. Or if alcoholics even exist. Your drinking habits sound problematic. Consider taking a year off from any form of alcohol, on any occasion special or otherwise. See how you feel. One year is not a lifetime, however it will give perspective that may surprise you.

Best of luck however you proceed.

I don't know if others here in Thailand (or elsewhere) have this same issue.

I post this here, because it seems the obvious forum, but maybe it should be more a general forum, I will leave that up to the moderator if it needs to be moved.

I do NOT consider myself an alcoholic.

I go for days, 5 to 14 days without drinking anything, no problem, sometimes might have an urged but resist it, purely due to choice and just don't want to go out (and refuse to drink at home).

After any period of time, I do need a drink and go out.

Problem is, I can not stop after the first beer, want the second, up to 5-7 beers and after that the stronger stuff.

Then of course I fell crappy for 1-2 days, too much alcohol, and don't drink again for 5-14 days.

Other example, sometimes not planned end up in a bar, but just can not order a bottle of water and the first beer is there,

well same story un-expected a drinking afternoon/evening.

Why can I stay away from it at home, but not in a bar?

How old are you if you dont mind me asking?

I am now early 30's but in my ealry to mid 20's i was exactly the same. I have never been a drink at home person, its more a social thing. When i did go out though i would not settle at 1 or 2, always had to carry on until 10-15 later.

After meeting my wife i settled down and have a youngster now, still dont drink at home and very very rarely drink at all. When im Jomtiem on extended hols i will happily have a couple on the beach amd mayne aa couple in the evening if we venture out. If nanny is babysitting thougj and we get some 'us' time, i will quite happily drink upto 10 whilst playing pool etc. We have fun and the opportunity does not come very often.

As said earlier, it depends on how old you are i think, the older you get (me) the less appealing it becomes and much easier to say thats it.

If you are from the UK i think the opening hours have aa lot to do with binge culture, drink as much as you can because the bar shuts soon but the clubs stay open. If you go out late, making up for lost time. If you go out early, its quiet and you pace yourself more

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Why would he be an alcoholic?Because he feel comfortable and relaxed when he stay at a bar? or because he enjoys the taste of an alcoholic drink now and then and let himself go.

I'm sure there must be a similar word then for people who enjoy dinner buffets.

I'm almost similar to the OP. For the first 14 years of my stay in Thailand i went out every night 7 days a week till 7-8 am. Spending 1500 - 2000 each night on drinks only.

For the past 5 years i have been out maybe 10 times in total and buy a bottle of what I like every 2 - 3 weeks or so, but when I have the bottle at home it will be emptied in 2 - 3 nights maximum, because I enjoy the taste and relaxation, so don't restrict myself. When the bottle is empty I may buy a next one in another 2 - 3 weeks. I can't remember I've been drinking alcohol before 7pm as long as I stay here.

Am I also an alcoholic ? I don't think so .

You don't mention whether or not you can stop drinking once you've started drinking alcohol. If you can't stop drinking, then yes, you are probably an alcoholic.

I mentioned that I don't see a reason to stop something I enjoy. But When I don't have a drink for weeks in kine, I also don't have any craving for one.

If that is your definition of an addict, then how do you call someone who goes to a restaurant and stays there for hours ordering delicious foods, until he's full.

For me an alcoholic is someone who can't go a few days without alcohol, and drinks to drink, not someone who enjoys what he's drinking.

"I mentioned that I don't see a reason to stop something I enjoy. But When I don't have a drink for weeks in kine, I also don't have any craving for one."

You still don't tell us whether you can stop. if you wish, once you've started drinking. Doing something in excess, even though you may enjoy it, may still be bad for you.

"If that is your definition of an addict, then how do you call someone who goes to a restaurant and stays there for hours ordering delicious foods, until he's full."

Someone who can stop when full is not an addict. An addict would keep on eating either at the restaurant or at home. Again, it's about not being able to stop once started.

"For me an alcoholic is someone who can't go a few days without alcohol, and drinks to drink, not someone who enjoys what he's drinking."

I binge drank for years, before my boozing escalated, and I could go for weeks and even a month or two without drinking. When I drank, I couldn't stop. I can tell you that I enjoyed what I drank, I enjoyed a good wine or a single malt scotch.

If you can't stop drinking once you start, you might be an alcoholic.

Any one who comes on a board about drinking and not being able to stop and spends as much effort as he does defiantly has a problem. I liked his comparison of an expert telling you not to smoke use the electronic ones. They have not been around that long. I wonder what he thinks the experts who call alcoholism a disease say to drink.

The list of straws the alcoholics grasp is long and entirely laughable. I once heard a lady say she was to much of a blue blood to be an alcoholic. I know it is serious but some times I just have to react and this is one of them.cheesy.gifcheesy.gif

• 3 months later...

The binge drinking is a sure problem. I do not crave alcohol for the flavor, or some kind of physical need. However, stress builds up, and after about 8 to 10 days, I just want to let loose, get drunk, dance around and meet other people who are having a good time. I stay far away from quiet, or disgruntled people when out and about. I look for a smiling face, and a place where the customers are enjoying themselves.

Unfortunately, I am sometimes drawn to areas where people like me are unwelcome. I do plan on staying far away, but after a few beers my mind gets wrapped around the idea that I must go to these places and try to enjoy .... it is like a challenge. My girl easily falls into a conversation at the drop of a hat. I, on the other hand, am probably an unwanted distraction. A tad bit large and do to poor eyesight, a bit clumsy and awkward. Most people move away, but the girls find it entertaining.

The point is....I use the binge drinking to get out and be somebody that I am not. Actually, I am a quiet, introverted guy at home....never drink, and just joke around a bit. I see my binge drinking as a psychological addiction..... I am much happier doing some exercise, traveling to new places and otherwise healthier activities. I cannot explain the attraction to go to the bar and get a good drunk. It never works out well.

• 2 weeks later...

Happy Oktoberfest. Prost!!

Don't worry AA and other programs will be there for you when you're ready to get sober!

lol, wut? I'm no alcoholic, I'm just giving a happy prost to fellow my beer drinkers. I'm currently sitting at my desk drinking a big bottle of ice water.

I don't know if others here in Thailand (or elsewhere) have this same issue.

I post this here, because it seems the obvious forum, but maybe it should be more a general forum, I will leave that up to the moderator if it needs to be moved.

I do NOT consider myself an alcoholic.

I go for days, 5 to 14 days without drinking anything, no problem, sometimes might have an urged but resist it, purely due to choice and just don't want to go out (and refuse to drink at home).

After any period of time, I do need a drink and go out.

Problem is, I can not stop after the first beer, want the second, up to 5-7 beers and after that the stronger stuff.

Then of course I fell crappy for 1-2 days, too much alcohol, and don't drink again for 5-14 days.

Other example, sometimes not planned end up in a bar, but just can not order a bottle of water and the first beer is there,

well same story un-expected a drinking afternoon/evening.

Why can I stay away from it at home, but not in a bar?

One day you will face a consequence after drinking this much in this way, and stop.

It could be work. It could be an accident. But right now, obviously you have no consequence to your binge drinking. You will probably get bored of it and stop.

And no, I don't think you are an alcoholic.