Which Bangkok "tefl" School To Attend?

Hello,

I would like to attend and receive my teaching certificate in Bangkok. I'm from Ohio, USA; 56 years old with a B.S. degree in Marketing/Business with over 30 years of outside sales experience. I have many years of speaking in front of 100's of people , but now I'm burned out with the sales quotas and the countless number of sales managers that I report to! I need a change; plus I've been visiting Thailand for 3 years and have fallen in love with a beautiful Thai man. My question to all of you, can you suggest a good school in Bangkok so I can get my TEFL? I believe from what I've been reading this is what I need?

Thank you for your time and I look forward to the responses.

Regards,

Jerry

Have a look on here mate there's a fair bit of info about TEFL courses in Bangers and elsewhere.

Make sure it offers at least 100 hours class time and at least 6 hours observed teaching practice to hit the supposed international standard!

Well I recommend you AVOID the Tesol Course given at AUA Language Center and sponsored by the School for International Training in Vermont, USA. You would be better off just interviewing experienced and well regarded teachers and paying them 1000THB/hr to teach you what you need to know. And sitting in on several classes as an assistent would be invaluable too.

I have heard good things about Text and Talk; that it is very practical and worth while.

Edited by paulfr

Well I recommend you AVOID the Tesol Course given at AUA Language Center and sponsored by the School for International Training in Vermont, USA. You would be better off just interviewing experienced and well regarded teachers and paying them 1000THB/hr to teach you what you need to know. And sitting in on several classes as an assistent would be invaluable too.

I have heard good things about Text and Talk; that it is very practical and worth while.

Thank you for your response! Yes, I have been reading good remarks about Text and Talk. I'll have to explore this company more.

My question to all of you, can you suggest a good school in Bangkok so I can get my TEFL?

Is it a TEFL that you're after or would you consider a CELTA?

I'm not sure the difference between the two? Is one better than the other?

My question to all of you, can you suggest a good school in Bangkok so I can get my TEFL?

Is it a TEFL that you're after or would you consider a CELTA?

I'm not sure the difference between the two? Is one better than the other?

:o:D:D

gabriele, that's a good question: what is the difference between a so-called TEFL certificate, and another one that calls itself CELTA? You'll find some of us have very strong opinions in the matter. Historically, around the world, CELTA got the lead and became the well-known cert but it's for TEFL, teaching English as a foreign language overseas; some folks like to pretend that CELTA is too good to be called a TEFL cert, but many of us disagree.

If you were set to make another decades-long career out of teaching EFL, you'd want to get far more than a mere four week course that doesn't even include how to teach children. You'd want to get an education degree, maybe a master's, professional license in the USA, etc. Obviously, that's not your plan.

Hey, if one of your main motivations is that you want to be in Thailand to have a long term relationship with a Thai boyfriend or girlfriend, and you're already 56, I suggest you take a course like Text&Talk as I did, and teach. Many of us who have taught teenagers and children in Thailand feel that a course like T&T taught us at least as well as the more expensive, UK-based course did. TeflInternational has a similar course

I came here at 60, took the course, and in the next two weeks got a Thai boyfriend who lives with me three years later, got a decent full time job, a condo and a sportbike.

Welcome. Send me a PM if you want. Good luck.

Hey, if one of your main motivations is that you want to be in Thailand to have a long term relationship with a Thai boyfriend or girlfriend, and you're already 56, I suggest you take a course like Text&Talk as I did,

I looked at their website and didn't see anything about long-term relationships or boyfriends.

LoL!

A CELTA is a TEFL but not all TEFL's are CELTA's :o But they are all TESOL's although IMO a CELTA is more geared towards ESL students (and thus is more of a TESL which by the by is also a TESOL) and generally in Thailand they're EFL students.