Modular Kits Homes

Hi All,

Can someone advice me of any companies that sell kit homes in Thailand?

Preferably in the Bangkok/Saraburi area.

My in-laws want to built a house on the land they got.

I think it is a good idea to have some contact with installers as well, if you can assist.

Thanks.

Kit homes are too dear to use here.

You can build decent size house with 700.000 so there's no market for them really.

While I agree that a lot of the market forces here don't support kit homes, there is at least one dynamic that does.

I have read hundreds (perhaps thousands) of posts in dozens of threads from guys that either a) spent their entire waking lives for 6 months to a year riding herd over the "cheap labor" building their home, or B) Didn't spend the time during construction and now have a huge mess to fix after they moved in, or c) Spent the time and still ended up with a big mess anyway.

For those of us working here, the idea of paying more for a modular kit isn't scary, as long as we get what we want and don't have to take time off our jobs (and $$$ out of our pockets) to supervise construction. Every day that some of us take off of work can mean hundreds of dollars out of our paychecks, not to mention friction with our employers. For many well moneyed retirees, they'd rather spend their time at the beach.

There is a market. It may be small, but I suspect it could be lucrative.

There are many business that sell the Traditional Thai wooden houses, all shapes and sizes. You go to their show areas, pick out the one you like and they erect it where you want it. Expensive though I'm told. My wife says her sister and husband have a business doing this and make them a lot cheaper. That was news to me..........we live and learn.

Kit homes are too dear to use here.

You can build decent size house with 700.000 so there's no market for them really.

While I agree that a lot of the market forces here don't support kit homes, there is at least one dynamic that does.

I have read hundreds (perhaps thousands) of posts in dozens of threads from guys that either a) spent their entire waking lives for 6 months to a year riding herd over the "cheap labor" building their home, or cool.png Didn't spend the time during construction and now have a huge mess to fix after they moved in, or c) Spent the time and still ended up with a big mess anyway.

For those of us working here, the idea of paying more for a modular kit isn't scary, as long as we get what we want and don't have to take time off our jobs (and $$$ out of our pockets) to supervise construction. Every day that some of us take off of work can mean hundreds of dollars out of our paychecks, not to mention friction with our employers. For many well moneyed retirees, they'd rather spend their time at the beach.

There is a market. It may be small, but I suspect it could be lucrative.

You have some very good points there! Have to agree with You. Personally I enjoy the building process and I have tools and labor ready. Some might have different interests, like beach and limited access to trust worthy and reasonably priced workers .

Depends where you are located in Thailand. Up north there are many companies around Prae. Build your typical wooden Thai house, you may need 2 or 3 around a veranda to get the size you want. Also look at the height of doors, ceilings etc, many not tall enough for Farangs.You can find old central Thai houses around Saraburi route 2, many dealers in the area. There is also a company (Swedish) just north of the Khon Kaen ring road on route 2. They manufacture modulised house, treated softwood, to a western standard..There is also another forum, called Cool Thai House, (hope I am allowed to mention that) many threads on line. good luck

Some companies sell pre-built teak house which I assume they disassemble and rebuild on site. They are beautiful, but seem to be pricey for what you get. Also, a bit on the small side. Most wood except teak is easily attacked by termites. Some varieties even munch up gypsum board or even concrete, but seem to be rarer.

Most home construction in Thailand is "post and beam" construction which is very strong and means that the walls are not load bearing. Personally, I would stay with this technique, because it is simple, relatively inexpensive and well understood. Normally, it isn't necessary to hire an architect because most builders have a choice of designs that they have built many times. And modifications are relatively simple due to the "post and beam" construction.

One thing to watch is the concrete mix: they usually try to make it too wet in Thailand because it is easier to work. But if it has too much water, it won't be as strong as a mix the correct amount of water.

Good luck

Thanks for all the feedback.

Their main concern is that the builder could make a runner after some up front payment.

I have heard those stories before.

How can you prevent?

Not looking to build a palace, just a simple 2 or 3 B/R house.

May be the trick is to find a local builder with plans of previously build houses.

What is the best way to find them?

Their was mention of 700K B for a house,

I heard from my friends, one in Isaan, the other in Phang Nga, who are currently building a figure of 1.5 to 2 M and climbing. nothing special.

I study those web sites you have given me.

Very grateful.

Are these homes termite treated? Termites are a huge problem where I live. Our builder wouldn't use real wood for our verandah because of the problem.

I'd hate to buy a prefab only to find a pile of sawdust a few years later.

Thanks for all the feedback.

Their main concern is that the builder could make a runner after some up front payment.

I have heard those stories before.

How can you prevent?

Not looking to build a palace, just a simple 2 or 3 B/R house.

May be the trick is to find a local builder with plans of previously build houses.

What is the best way to find them?

Their was mention of 700K B for a house,

I heard from my friends, one in Isaan, the other in Phang Nga, who are currently building a figure of 1.5 to 2 M and climbing. nothing special.

I study those web sites you have given me.

Very grateful.

If You oversee and purchase materials yourself, 700.000 baht will pay for a nice little house.

1.5-2 mil would build a real nice house, if built yourself. Construction companies tend to overprice when dealing with falangs, I have seen family members taking commissions from builders and hardware stores, exaggerate costs etc...

not so many in thailand but it is easy to get a kit home from china, not sure of the import duty on such an item, just google or go to alibaba.com.ch and search

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

attachicon.gif.pagespeed.ce.eFBhf2OPKe.g2014-03-03 12.52.57.jpgattachicon.gif.pagespeed.ce.eFBhf2OPKe.g2014-03-03 15.03.25.jpgattachicon.gif.pagespeed.ce.eFBhf2OPKe.g2014-03-03 14.54.28.jpgim building a concrete fully insulated prefab on my land 2bedroom/2bathroom 60days delivered on a truck. western kitchen and fittingsattachicon.gif.pagespeed.ce.eFBhf2OPKe.g2013-12-22 10.08.07.jpg

excellent.....Machans 88..do you have the company contact details. website etc!
Please share with us. Thanks.

Yes, please do share, Thank you.

ok,found their website,they are based in hua hin,but truck them all around Thailand,can do multiple houses in a short time frame if building a resort,also they can be dismantled in 3 or 4 days if you want

to move.......or divorce the wife!!

http://www.plprecasthouse.com/index.php?page=aboutus&language=en

tell them you saw it on thaivisa...they might buy me a beer or two!!

Archived