Deaths of Quebec women in Thailand may have been caused by pesticide

webfact

Deaths of Quebec women in Thailand may have been caused by pesticide
Audrey and Noémi Bélanger died mysteriously while on holiday in 2012

By Julia Sisler, CBC News

QUEBEC: -- A highly toxic pesticide used to control bedbugs in some holiday hotels in Asia may have caused the mysterious deaths of two Quebec sisters travelling in Thailand as well as several other tourists, according to new evidence from a joint investigation by CBC’s the fifth estate and Radio-Canada’s Enquete.

Audrey and Noémi Bélanger set off on a trip through Thailand in 2012. Days after they arrived at the popular tourist destination of Phi Phi Island, a maid found the sisters dead in their hotel room. Both were covered in vomit, with their fingernails and toenails tinged blue.

Now, for the first time, a Thai official is admitting that the sisters were probably killed by pesticide.

“The most likely explanation is the acute intoxication and it is intoxication from the chemical that belong to the pesticide group,” Dr. Pasakron Akarasewi, with Thailand's Ministry of Health, told the CBC/Radio-Canada investigation.

At the time, local authorities suggested several possible causes, from food poisoning to drugs. The Bélangers requested that the Quebec coroner do an autopsy on their daughters. Almost two years since the autopsy was performed, the results have not been released. They are expected to be made public in June.

The CBC/Radio-Canada investigation received a tip about what may have killed the sisters that points to a lethal pesticide called aluminum phosphide. [read more...]

Full story: http://www.cbc.ca/news/deaths-of-quebec-women-in-thailand-may-have-been-caused-by-pesticide-1.2569434

-- CBCnews 2014-03-14

I slept in a cheap-hotel bed which was sprayed with something fairly toxic, this was in Laos a few years ago. I was too tired to check when I went to bed, but when I woke up I saw there were dead bugs in the lower part of the bed, bugs which were leaking fluids. I got multiple lesions on my lower legs within 24 hours, one of which still remains today. It is hard to tell if it made me nauseous / tired etc. too, as I was travelling and this always makes me sick anyway because of my MS. But I felt dreadfully sick for about two months afterwards and still have some scarring on my lower legs. Again I would emphasise that this was a super-cheap hotel, and I am in no way criticising the other more high quality hotels in the beautiful nation of Laos.

Remember Down town Inn, Chiang Mai.

Yes sure- an elderly couple were found dead lady on the bed and her husband kneeling on the floor next to the bed.

If I remember at the time it was said they had heart attacks both at the same moment. The couple were on holiday from my home county of Lincolnshire, UK.

It got massive coverage. I think the floor they stayed on ,all the rooms were stripped and fumigated, Later the hotel was re named.

Apparently the hotel was owned by a very so so family in Chiang Mai. At the time they suspected the people there had eaten some poisoned food from a local market.

Thai follow ups rarely see the light of day, and we never really knew the definite outcome. It was believed to be covered up, much evidence was destroyed when they quickly revamped the rooms shortly after the deaths.

I haven't done any research only using memory of the event so my story is only half told. Many posters will remember.

Yes sure- an elderly couple were found dead lady on the bed and her husband kneeling on the floor next to the bed.

If I remember at the time it was said they had heart attacks both at the same moment. The couple were on holiday from my home county of Lincolnshire, UK.

It got massive coverage. I think the floor they stayed on ,all the rooms were stripped and fumigated, Later the hotel was re named.

Apparently the hotel was owned by a very so so family in Chiang Mai. At the time they suspected the people there had eaten some poisoned food from a local market.

Thai follow ups rarely see the light of day, and we never really knew the definite outcome. It was believed to be covered up, much evidence was destroyed when they quickly revamped the rooms shortly after the deaths.

I haven't done any research only using memory of the event so my story is only half told. Many posters will remember.

The hotel, has now been knocked down. No longer there!

The hotel, has now been knocked down. No longer there!

Amazing, evidence covered up shortly after the deaths--------renamed hotel-------------------knocked down.

Wasn't it the case they never brought the forensic lady--the best--in Thailand to look into these deaths ??? The 3 points I made above suggests something smelt.

It may have been pesticides but I highly doubt it was from the room being sprayed. If I recall it seemed like the deaths were sudden and near simultaneous and they didn't try to call or alert anyone. Doesn't seem logical it would kill them that fast and they would not have smelled something off in the room. I think they were poisoned and possibly accidental but there are just too many reasons to not believe the poison was from the room being sprayed. Even if it was sprayed in and got into drinking glasses doesn't seem all that plausible unless the glasses had so much pesticide in that it was visible in liquid form. These were not too 70 year old women with health conditions.

What has to be remembered is the total lack of any training or education on chemical use. This quite easily could have been a simple result of spraying or washing sheets with pure concoctions rather than following label mix recommendations. In CM in particular, and I guess all tourist areas a large portion of the labourious work os done by Burmese or Cambodians with no local language skills and mostly little guidance.

• Like 1

This makes a lot more sense than what the "authorities" in thailand were saying at the time. I remember one police spokesperson alluding darkly to ibuprofen being found in the hotel room with the victims, as though that might have caused their horrific death. Later, they advanced the theory that the girls had been drinking powerful drug and insecticide laced cocktails. I understand people being incredibly lazy and corrupt, and buffoons to boot, but when horrible deaths like this are involved, I would hope these guys would try to do something about it. If not for justice, then to try and prevent more deaths. This aluminum phosphide component would never have come to light, had it not been for the canadians, I feel.

Thailand is using too many pesticides for everything ..... fruits ,vegies, shrimps etc ...... when you see you can keep few weeks a tomato in the fridge without problem you only wonder what they sprayed on it .... those cheap hotels are the same , they spray for mosquito , for bed bugs etc .... and usually not aware of what they are using .... all those mysterious death in Chiang mai could also be linked to pesticides .... I wonder if Organic products sold in supermarket are safe also .

Not forgetting the 3 Aussie girls (1 died), the Thai woman etc etc.....was it 7 in total? That is why it is what it is today...flattened!

• Like 1

This makes a lot more sense than what the "authorities" in thailand were saying at the time. I remember one police spokesperson alluding darkly to ibuprofen being found in the hotel room with the victims, as though that might have caused their horrific death. Later, they advanced the theory that the girls had been drinking powerful drug and insecticide laced cocktails. I understand people being incredibly lazy and corrupt, and buffoons to boot, but when horrible deaths like this are involved, I would hope these guys would try to do something about it. If not for justice, then to try and prevent more deaths. This aluminum phosphide component would never have come to light, had it not been for the canadians, I feel.

Remember it well and there was also the lad that helped them home to their room....he was a suspect as well.

" At Thailand’s Ministry of Health, Akarasewi said there is growing concern about pesticides.

“Chemical poisoning is one of the emerging problems. So we hope we can do the job better in the future,” he said.

He seemed surprised to hear that aluminum phosphide might be used in hotel rooms, since it is dangerous and illegal.

Still, he said Thailand is as safe as any other country.

“I may travel someplace and get the same problem,” he said. “I may go to Europe, Canada, Australia and can get the same problem like this.”"

I bet you wouldn't, mate.

That is the way Thais respond to all their ills. "Other countries are as screwed up as we are."

It may have been pesticides but I highly doubt it was from the room being sprayed. If I recall it seemed like the deaths were sudden and near simultaneous and they didn't try to call or alert anyone. Doesn't seem logical it would kill them that fast and they would not have smelled something off in the room. I think they were poisoned and possibly accidental but there are just too many reasons to not believe the poison was from the room being sprayed. Even if it was sprayed in and got into drinking glasses doesn't seem all that plausible unless the glasses had so much pesticide in that it was visible in liquid form. These were not too 70 year old women with health conditions.

You have just read that this investigation has been so thorough and vigorous to the point some of the worlds top toxicologists got involved. The results took two years to conclude to make sure the facts are categorically correct. You have just had a statement from a Thai official admitting to the same, "no choice science does not lie" and you sit there and write that pile of brainless crap. Doesn't seem logical? My friend you are a dangerous individual. Scary!!!

• Like 2

" At Thailand’s Ministry of Health, Akarasewi said there is growing concern about pesticides.

“Chemical poisoning is one of the emerging problems. So we hope we can do the job better in the future,” he said.

He seemed surprised to hear that aluminum phosphide might be used in hotel rooms, since it is dangerous and illegal.

Still, he said Thailand is as safe as any other country.

“I may travel someplace and get the same problem,” he said. “I may go to Europe, Canada, Australia and can get the same problem like this.”"

I bet you wouldn't, mate.

Finally farrang at last are good for something: as a stupid excuse for their own mistakes and wrong doings.