[Technology] A 'BIG' MARKET - Automatic Measurement of Calorie Intake

singa-traz

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/healbe-gobe-the-only-way-to-automatically-measure-calorie-intake

The company has already passed their funding goal (500K US$ committed with an initial goal of 100K US$).

Not much information on the actual measurement of calorie intake mechanism and it's accuracy, but who cares, after spending 200-300 US$ for the device, and having it on your wrist while eating, it would have such a powerful psychological effect that it can only change positively your eating habit.

"The Electronic Bracelet for Fat People" would not be the best marketing positioning ... but "Automatic Body Manager" sounds better :-)

Another one:

http://www.digitaltrends.com/sports/airo-smart-band-uses-leds-monitor-caloric-intake/#!zBD3T

http://mobihealthnews.com/3360/academic-wireless-sensors-can-easily-measure-caloric-intake/

I have tried a device like that bodyfit media.. and it did not work as good as they said. I am a bit sceptical here.. Its real hard to get real correct data.

It can't work without knowing what you eat exactly, or take blood samples, or maybe you could measure something in near infrared on the skin....

And how is it supposed to measure your exercises, only with the heart rate?

If I drink half a bottle whiskey or train will have the same result on the heart frequency.

I have tried a device like that bodyfit media.. and it did not work as good as they said. I am a bit sceptical here.. Its real hard to get real correct data.

It can't work without knowing what you eat exactly, or take blood samples, or maybe you could measure something in near infrared on the skin....

If I drink half a bottle whiskey or train will have the same result on the heart frequency.

Mine had a motion sensor too.. that way it could check how intense you exercised. Did of course not work good on a stationary bike and such. It showed me when i slept and woke up (nice to see the sleeping paterns)

But as far as how many calories i burned it way overestimated it.

Mine had a motion sensor too.. that way it could check how intense you exercised. Did of course not work good on a stationary bike and such. It showed me when i slept and woke up (nice to see the sleeping paterns)

On this stationary bicycle you can burn enormous amounts of energy without moving your hands at all. While there is some Chinese exercise where you swing your arms like crazy...but it won't burn much. So the motion sensor is complete pointless.

Beside that it doesn't measure motion it measures acceleration. So a steady straight movement with a bicycle isn't registered as well.

So it has heartbeat and sweat only to estimate burned calories.

I easily believe that it overestimate the burned calories.....Than you have these people who eat only 1500 calories per day. burn 500 with exercise but don't loose weight and blame genetic and hormones on it.

On this stationary bicycle you can burn enormous amounts of energy without moving your hands at all. While there is some Chinese exercise where you swing your arms like crazy...but it won't burn much. So the motion sensor is complete pointless.

Beside that it doesn't measure motion it measures acceleration. So a steady straight movement with a bicycle isn't registered as well.

So it has heartbeat and sweat only to estimate burned calories.

I easily believe that it overestimate the burned calories.....Than you have these people who eat only 1500 calories per day. burn 500 with exercise but don't loose weight and blame genetic and hormones on it.

Most machines overestimate.. the only thing that i seen that comes close to real is the rowing machine I have. Anyway.. it was nice to try but not useful at all for me that is. Others might use it and like it. The positive mental thing might be a good thing.