Will I survive in Issan?

Saan

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you do agree to move then find a place in the city. Roi Et is quite a pleasant environment with many houses to buy and rent. There are also many expats there and they have a local expats newsletter too. If you look on the Isaan website you can find all the back numbers of the newsletter. If not PM me.

There are a number of restaurants that provide good 'farang' food as well as Thai. With Tesco, Big C and Makro plenty options for food. Currently there is a Central Plaza under construction too.

Population is about 44,000 so it's a small city with a man made lake as the focal point. However, avoid the sticks!!

However, she has realized that I could never adapt to the country "farm" life and since we live in Bangkok right now, considering a move to Ubon next few months, i have done lots (i.e. tons) of on-line research on Ubon and what it offers, which are a couple of shopping malls with Big C, Tesco Lotus major store, Pizza Company, KFC, McDonald's, Swenson's, several farang restaurants, pubs and night life, and since Ubon was a former large US military base during Vietnam, quite a few left there in the same age group. Makes for a bunch of ol' farts. Ha Ha

Did you even realize how insulting your post for people like me is? Life's much better in Ubon and it's a freaking big city with all available what Thais and foreigners need.

God, what's wrong with this world?

However, she has realized that I could never adapt to the country "farm" life and since we live in Bangkok right now, considering a move to Ubon next few months, i have done lots (i.e. tons) of on-line research on Ubon and what it offers, which are a couple of shopping malls with Big C, Tesco Lotus major store, Pizza Company, KFC, McDonald's, Swenson's, several farang restaurants, pubs and night life, and since Ubon was a former large US military base during Vietnam, quite a few left there in the same age group. Makes for a bunch of ol' farts. Ha Ha

Did you even realize how insulting your post for people like me is? Life's much better in Ubon and it's a freaking big city with all available what Thais and foreigners need.

Lighten up. I thought he was being very complimentary towards Ubon, his last comment being humerous.

I hope your over-reaction is not typical of what he might expect in Ubon.

• Like 1

My advice, for what it is worth?

Go to live in Roi Et town!

If you are not used to country living don't ever go to live in a small village, for whatever reason.

Most certaily not in a small house on the premises of the parents and assorted family members.

And your wife lives in town and wants to live in RE during the week?

Don't do it!

Spot on and he'll be able to have some social life too.

A lot of rubbish has been written above. Nobody can tell you whether you will be happy in a small village or not. I am, that's for sure, but I have a loving wife and a very nice, hard working family around me, TV, internet, and at 66 years I am still building stuff and being busy. It has nothing to do with watching rice grow and talking to chickens, maybe it has something to do with thinking about rice cultivation (we will be buying a rice harvester and storing and selling rice) and thinking about chicken breeding.

Up to you and only you, but I think you know already that you don't want to go. If your wife leaves you behind, then maybe good riddance, but that's none of my business.

All very well until you need a hospital or dentist urgently and it's the rainy season too boot.

My advice, for what it is worth?

Go to live in Roi Et town!

If you are not used to country living don't ever go to live in a small village, for whatever reason.

Most certaily not in a small house on the premises of the parents and assorted family members.

And your wife lives in town and wants to live in RE during the week?

Don't do it!

Spot on and he'll be able to have some social life too.

hansnl's conclusion was "Don't do it" - I concur.

If you want to give it a try then RENT somewhere in Roi-Et town for 6 months and see how it goes.

Don't allow yourself to be pushed out of somewhere you are happy and don't spend any further capital in Thailand until you are 100% sure of making a move.

• Like 1

Geez, don't get so insulted. Different strokes for different folks, type of thing. There's quite the difference between Ubon and say Bangkok, Chiang Mai, or Phuket,

I've never been to Ubon, but have lived in Khon Kaen for years now, so I'm assuming they're about the same. My parents won't even visit me anymore, until I move to Chiang Mai. :)

They love Chiang Mai, but absolutely hate Khon Kaen. Actually, that's wrong. My mom will come visit me, but my dad won't. He's staying home, unless I'm living in Chiang Mai when the flights are booked.

Lighten up. I thought he was being very complimentary towards Ubon, his last comment being humerous.

My apologies.

• Like 1

My apologies.

Anyone who is prepared to apologise for misreading a post is likely to be good company in Ubon smile.png

• Like 1

I think you would definitely be better off living in the town. Rent an apartment in town where there are a few foreign restaurants and enough foreigners around (can't predict whether you will like them or not, but they are there).

It depends on how much time you expect your wife to stay with you. For example, how would she (and you) feel about living in a small apartment or house in Loi Et town and then maybe go out alone (or sometimes with you) to visit her parents 2 or 3 days a week? That, you guys will have to answer on your own. Remember that her family will probably come and visit as well, unless you strictly say you don't want them at your rental.

Of course, this also depends on your health. If you are still all personally able to do your daily living tasks, a day or two off from the wife can be nice--you can use those days for longer spells at the foreigner places.

I know there is a site called loietfalang, too, so look that up and see what is happening there.

Anyway, bottom line, I think the village life could get really dull (especially based on what you wrote). I speak Thai and Laos to a decent level, love the food and am friendly with all the relatives, but I still get bored out there. Being in Loi Et should be nice, but it sounds like you might like the village 24km down the road instead of having the town 24 k down the road--that way at least you could walk around, window shop, have a coffee and even meet some thais and falangs who speak English.

Well, good luck with it.

Quite a few Thais in Roi Et will stop and speak to you in English, they like to practise it and ask if you speak Thai.

You chose to marry a Thai female and live in Thailand so therefore you must follow and accept the Thai culture. She only has one set of parents and it's her duty in Thai culture to take care of them and if you choose not to follow her to Issan, it puts both of you in an awkward situation in culture and in respect. Once you married your wife, her parents become your parents. The village will not see the respect which you must have to care for family forever. This is something which you should of thought of when marring her. Yes you will survive, you survived moving and living in Chiang Mai. You must not allow your wife to ''loose face'' in Roi Et and you must not allow yourself to become the ''bad farang'' and be labeled jai dum. Your wife loved and accepted you and you must love and accept her fully. You will be pleasantly surprised with the results. You married the village and her culture when you married your wife. Have an open mind and it will be filled with great rewards. Issan is wonderful. No other place on earth I would rather be other than Bangkok. Good luck my friend.

But she intends to carry on working every day of the week. That's not Thai culture. Finding some other mug to install in the family home to do the job for her is Thai culture though!

Sorry - little blurt of cynicism from me.

Being a bit more helpful OP, I live in rural Isaan and love it but, although I am a 'City type' (lived and worked in the City of London prior to Thai village) I am equally a type of person who is comfortable in my own company - which I am for roughly half of every day. It would drive me nuts if:

• I could not escape the house a couple of times a week to visit the local amphur (20 k away) for shopping and a chat at the local falang bar
  • I could not escape the amphur and visit one of the two larger provincial capitals (45k and 85k away) 3 or 4 times a month for similar outlet activities
  • I could not escapte Isaan once a month or two to go to Bangkok or other "pai thee-ow" destinations with family and sometimes alone or with mates
  • I could speak very little Thai. I worry about your sustainability by yourself if you have been here several years and shown no inclination to want to learn the language of your adopted home
  • I did not enjoy house projects (DIY) and gardening
  • I did not have a recreational activity or two - I organise the regional hash house harriers and am indulging a novice delight in checking out (feathered) bird-life. I cook Thai food for myself and family a few times a week
  • I had no exercise activities - I swim half a k a day just for flexibility
  • There was not a good internet connection and good TV package to indulge my love of football and a hour or so a day on TVF
  • I was on a limited budget which meant I could not do what I wanted whenever I wanted - particularly if it curtailed my 'escapes'
  • Some of the gorgeous Isaan girls did not still smile at me in the markets and around town (yes I know it doesn't mean I'm sexy, but it sure lifts my mood!)

So how you gonna fill your time and will you enjoy those activities? If you worry about your ability to be on your own and to find stuff to do that gives you a kick then I would not advise taking the plunge. The place will grow on you or against you - as is shown by the diametrically opposed experiences reported by everyone in these "can you survive a rural Thai village life" threads.

Edit: just reread and this comes across as smug! Intention was to show there are many things you can do from a rural base.

Edited by SantiSuk
  • Like 2

Just curious as to how long you have been together and in Thailand? I know that at some point my wife (the only daughter) will be responsible for looking after the parent/s if either live for a long time. It is the Thai way as old folks homes are few and far between. You are 70. This and other things should be thought of before you marry a Thai woman whose parents are younger than you.

Will you survive? Better yet, who is going to look after you in about 5 years?

• Like 1

My wife works in Los Angeles for 6 months at a time, My house is far removed from civilization (even Thai). I love the peace and quiet, find plenty to keep myself busy and just being around the locals you will pick up the language. They don't bite. In fact my inlaws go out of their way to help me even though they have no idea how. I just go with the flow.

• Like 2

Unless you enjoy watching rice grow and talking to chickens, don't do it.

You're 70 years old man. Do what makes you happy -- you've earned it. Why would you put yourself through the torment of living in a Thai village? It's not going to fun for you. Spend your golden years in a place that you want to live in -- not where some Thai woman wants to live.

Again, you have 70 years on this planet. You've earned the right to do what makes YOU happy.

Absolutely. Good post sir.

I love the village life! For about 48 hours! There's only so much smiling you can do at any one time! All I would say is try it but don't commit yourself to building anything yet. It's your life too remember!

Unless you enjoy watching rice grow and talking to chickens, don't do it.

You're 70 years old man. Do what makes you happy -- you've earned it. Why would you put yourself through the torment of living in a Thai village? It's not going to fun for you. Spend your golden years in a place that you want to live in -- not where some Thai woman wants to live.

Again, you have 70 years on this planet. You've earned the right to do what makes YOU happy.

Well stated. My view exactly. As well if the wife commutes back to the family village only on weekends why do you have to be there as you have little to add in the way of support? There's nothing wrong with you remaining in CM while the wife makes the weekly trek to her village. I believe I'm very tolerant and can live in austere locations, for a time, but this I would not do.

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa app

I tried living in Udorn once. I could not become junglized and failed. I am fluent in Thai but can not understand Isan and they could not understand me. Unless you have become junglized it is difficult for a lone farang to live in any Thai village unless you can supply a never ending supply of Lao Khao and lots of money for the temple.

• Like 1

In answer to all of your questions,

No N No you will probably go mad through shear boredom.

By submitting your post there is obviously a lot of concerns by what you have written. If there is doubt in your mind don't go to the countryside. Isolation, loneliness in 'deliverance' and you, with respect aren't getting any younger. Try renting somewhere in Roi Et itself. Good luck.

• Like 1

A lot of rubbish has been written above. Nobody can tell you whether you will be happy in a small village or not. I am, that's for sure, but I have a loving wife and a very nice, hard working family around me, TV, internet, and at 66 years I am still building stuff and being busy. It has nothing to do with watching rice grow and talking to chickens, maybe it has something to do with thinking about rice cultivation (we will be buying a rice harvester and storing and selling rice) and thinking about chicken breeding.

Up to you and only you, but I think you know already that you don't want to go. If your wife leaves you behind, then maybe good riddance, but that's none of my business.

All very well until you need a hospital or dentist urgently and it's the rainy season too boot.

Well we don't know how far it is to the next hospital, do we? It would take me 25 minutes tops, probably the same as for many people that live in a town and have to drive across it.

You will not acclimate to this type of living. You will be dead in less than 2 years. I lived in Isaan (Loengnoktha)....in the middle of a rice field with the exact same family scenario as you describe. You will go crazy of boredom just before your death and you will be killed by a pack of village dogs, so there will be no body to burn in the village temple. You go dog! Don't be an idiot.

Well we don't know how far it is to the next hospital, do we? It would take me 25 minutes tops, probably the same as for many people that live in a town and have to drive across it.

You don't have to try and justify living in the sticks - anymore than someone has to justify living in Bangkok. Your avatar (and posts) indicate a background that is suited to rural living.

Did you come to Thailand and live in a major city ?

I doubt it, but the OP did. If he wanted rural living he would not have chosen Chiang Mai. The fact that he even posted to thousands of strangers suggests that he is not positive about his wife's decision/announcement.

Time for him to make his own announcement.

The point about hospitals is a good one. Age 70, something will break down sooner or later. Happens to all.

Me, I already have a mild heart condition. I would guess that anyone aged 70 needs access to a cardiac catheter suite within 1 hour of driving. A CT scanner is also good to have.

The other responses here seem very mixed. I couldn't live in a village. The smallest place I could live in would be something like C Rai.

Many people seem to end up slightly mad, or drunk--the boredom is mind-destroying. A colleague of mine has a great wife in Issan, and a house...but he still chooses to spend 2-3 days a week in Bangkok, or he travels to other places.

Eddy