Successful Non B 1 Year at Penang

heading down monday , have heard nothing from anyone, an banana gh ( whom i contacted last week) said only that you need go to the consolute on ur own, no longer can a travel agent take it for you.

Need 9 months on wp

Great Weary, perhaps you could send an update as soon as you know. I need to exit Thailand by the 6th July so I still have a little time. I still got 10 months validity on my work permit.

Thanks

Just made a booking at the Banana Boutique Hotel in Penang for monday

asked Lily if there were ay changes in 1 year visas,

she said no

Good news, thanks.

Sent from my GT-N5100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I would like to know if anyone with in the past 2 weeks has had any issues

I got a 1 year visa on the 4th June, no problem. Banana Guesthouse took application for me and I payed express (200 MYR) so i could receive it back the same day and get the train back the next.

Only slight issue was on re-entry to Thailand got a talking to from Immigration official about too many 90 day stamps in my passport, and told me I need to get an extension of stay. I explained that my company do not meet the requirement. He reluctantly stamped my passport back into Thailand, but said I wouldn't get back in if i do the same next year. Didn't make much sense to me- seemed to have a problem that I have been legally working in Thailand for 3 years straight.. and still doing visa runs every 90 days.

Edited by gwyd1982

also Banana does the whole thing for you, you do not need to go to the embassy as was stated only last month

regular charge is 60 MYR for the service, ( jim charges the same)

passport back next day at 2 pm

IF u fly an need it before then ( like firefly leaves Penang at 3 pm ) they will get it back for u at noon.

They are doing a BOOM business here

For 200 MYR cheaper to stay another night ro next time fly :-)

I have a question. I thought once you use non-b visa and get work permit, your non-b visa is convert to extension of stay (based on work permit), you can then apply for (multiple) re-entry if need to travel in and out (frequently) within the extended period of stay? In this case, why go (abroad) and get a non-b multiple entry visa again? Tks.

You can only apply for an extension of stay if your job meets the criteria for an extension of stay. Those criteria are stricter than for a non-B visa and thus not all people with a work permit qualify for an extension of stay and get new non-B visas.

UPDATE:

stayed at the Banana Boutique gh on Chula street,

turned in the passport with all paperwork including wp for a 1 year NON B visa

550 MYR plus 60 service charge

they took it to the Consolute Tuesday morn an brought it back this morning ( weds) at 11:30 all done. NO need to go to Consolute just hang out in HOT Penang and eating good food.

• Like 2

Since I have a WP for two years now, and am director of the company do I still need that Letter of introduction ?

The MFA also mentions VAT registration papers , any need for this?

Yes, bring the PP20 (VAT Papers) in case they are requested - Bigsteve's Company is not VAT registered.

Oh dear, I'm told by accountant I do not have VAT relevant docs as the co makes under 1 mil per year.

What's in the letter? As I am the director, can I write it in English. I don't recall needing either last year at Penang for 1 year , If it needs to be in Thai, is there a template anywhere?

Actually all I need is 90 days but 1 year would be nice in case there are delays on my permanent G-ingTFO

I intend to take all the docs I have from the extension request just denied by Phuket ( "not enough profit")

I got a 1 year visa on the 4th June, no problem. Banana Guesthouse took application for me and I payed express (200 MYR) so i could receive it back the same day and get the train back the next.

Only slight issue was on re-entry to Thailand got a talking to from Immigration official about too many 90 day stamps in my passport, and told me I need to get an extension of stay. I explained that my company do not meet the requirement. He reluctantly stamped my passport back into Thailand, but said I wouldn't get back in if i do the same next year. Didn't make much sense to me- seemed to have a problem that I have been legally working in Thailand for 3 years straight.. and still doing visa runs every 90 days.

Yeah, it's like impossible now, all this threatening, and posturing, Will you be allowed in? . If not then you lose everything you own? Run a business, by the book , pay pay pay. Then; Pay Pay Pay some more and some moncy canmake up any excuse to not let you in <deleted> !!!

Now some Sadao desk rat wanting to see large sums of cash, paying 500 baht in the PP is one recent report F them !!!

I cannot wait to get off this horrible ride.

That's very strange, never heard of that one. I thought that officials were only supposed to question holders of too many visa exempt entries and maybe tourist visas or a combination of the two, but non-imm B visas, even if they're multi-entry should be exempt from any scrutiny. Anyway, good thing he stamped you back in but I wouldn't worry about his "threat" of not getting stamped back in next year. I presume that even by next year you may still not be eligible for an extension of stay, or want an extension of stay either. For someone who travels a lot, even if it's just once every 3 months I think a 1-year multi non-B should be good enough.

Since I have a WP for two years now, and am director of the company do I still need that Letter of introduction ?

The MFA also mentions VAT registration papers , any need for this?

Yes, bring the PP20 (VAT Papers) in case they are requested - Bigsteve's Company is not VAT registered.

Oh dear, I'm told by accountant I do not have VAT relevant docs as the co makes under 1 mil per year.

What's in the letter? As I am the director, can I write it in English. I don't recall needing either last year at Penang for 1 year , If it needs to be in Thai, is there a template anywhere?

Actually all I need is 90 days but 1 year would be nice in case there are delays on my permanent G-ingTFO

I intend to take all the docs I have from the extension request just denied by Phuket ( "not enough profit")

Ok, you are not VAT registered, so no PP20 (VAT Registration Certificate).

Letter of Introduction addressed to Penang should be in English requesting that you are issued with your required visa (type, entries, length)..

You need 8 months+ validity on your WP for a one year Multiple Entry Non 'B' at Penang.

No harm taking all the papers you presented to Phuket immigration for the Extension, but as a rule don't ever give any official in Asia a document that they haven't asked for, it might just complicate matters.

Edited by digitalchromakey
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Got my 1 year Non B Multy Entry visa on the 1st this month via Banana Boutique. No problems. Didn't have to go to the consulate. Stayed a couple extra days in Georgetown wandering and eating great food. Folks at Banana Boutique were great.

• 5 weeks later...

Would be great to see a template for this application letter. Anyone know if the application form can be downloaded and printed so I can fill it out ahead of time? Is there a definitive list of exactly what's required here?

I emailed Banana to ask them what paperwork is required but did not get a very helpful response.

I'm applying for a 1-year multi non-B on the basis of a work permit next week - will try to update so that this thread's a bit clearer for the next reader.

Would be great to see a template for this application letter. Anyone know if the application form can be downloaded and printed so I can fill it out ahead of time? Is there a definitive list of exactly what's required here?

I emailed Banana to ask them what paperwork is required but did not get a very helpful response.

I'm applying for a 1-year multi non-B on the basis of a work permit next week - will try to update so that this thread's a bit clearer for the next reader.

Here's a link to the Thai MFA list of requirements:

http://www.mfa.go.th/main/en/services/123/15388-Non-Immigrant-Visa-%22B%22-(for-Business-and.html

Penang also normally require 8 months+ validity on your Work permit to issue a One Year Multiple Entry Non Immigrant 'B' Visa.

Any concerns then you can always phone Penang, they do answer the phone.

Here's a link to the application form:

http://www.consular.go.th/main/contents/files/services-20120630-200636-192763.pdf

• Like 1

http://www.mfa.go.th/main/en/services/123/15388-Non-Immigrant-Visa-%22B%22-(for-Business-and.html

Penang also normally require 8 months+ validity on your Work permit to issue a One Year Multiple Entry Non Immigrant 'B' Visa.

http://www.consular.go.th/main/contents/files/services-20120630-200636-192763.pdf

Thanks, I already have all the paperwork from the MFA link, but this thread specifically mentions a "letter of introduction" which isn't on the MFA's list, and nobody has quite explained exactly what it is.

Who should it be addressed to? Does it need to be on letterhead? Signed by whom? Etc etc.

My work permit was issued less than a month ago, so that shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks for the application form though, that should definitely save some time.

I'll do my best to update this thread next week when I've figured it all out (or been denied, lol).

Thanks, I already have all the paperwork from the MFA link, but this thread specifically mentions a "letter of introduction" which isn't on the MFA's list, and nobody has quite explained exactly what it is.

Who should it be addressed to? Does it need to be on letterhead? Signed by whom? Etc etc.

My work permit was issued less than a month ago, so that shouldn't be a problem.

I'll do my best to update this thread next week when I've figured it all out (or been denied, lol).

In the old days, all you took was pretty much the letter of introduction.

Yes it's on letter head in English or Thai addressed to the Consulate in Penang briefly asking that they issue a One Year Multiple Entry Non Immigrant 'B' Visa to you, name abc, passport number xyz.

In the old days, all you took was pretty much the letter of introduction.

Yes it's on letter head in English or Thai addressed to the Consulate in Penang briefly asking that they issue a One Year Multiple Entry Non Immigrant 'B' Visa to you, name abc, passport number xyz.

Thanks for that, very helpful - we added the company stamp as well as the letterhead just in case. No idea whether that's required, but the bureaucrats do seem to like their stamps...

Anyway, for the record, I booked into the Banana Boutique on Chulia Street, Georgetown - they handled everything for me, so no need to visit the Consulate myself. I handed over my mountain of paperwork to the hotel staff at 9.30am yesterday and got the passport and work permit back today, with a fresh 1-year multi-entry non-B.

The hotel staff gave me an application form with the local address part pre-filled with their details, so no need to bring your own forms - I just had to supply the paperwork, letter, WP11, passport photos and fee - the visa fee is 55MYR, then the hotel charge an agent's fee of I think 6MYR, making it 610MYR total, or approx 6,100THB.

Many thanks to digitalchromakey for the info, hope this helps the next applicant.

Edited by thatmanagain

• 8 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

If anyone else can answer this, I would appreciate it as I am going there next week.

Everyone talks about Banana Guest House, which is good that they do what they do to help people with visa hassles and running about.

My question is, are there nicer places that offer the same? I am sure this hotel is pleasant, but I was thinking of something a bit more, with swimming pool etc.

thanks

The Brit

If anyone else can answer this, I would appreciate it as I am going there next week.

Everyone talks about Banana Guest House, which is good that they do what they do to help people with visa hassles and running about.

My question is, are there nicer places that offer the same? I am sure this hotel is pleasant, but I was thinking of something a bit more, with swimming pool etc.

thanks

The Brit

You must be looking for this place

Lone Pine Hotel
Swimming pool etc
Only some $200 night !smile.png

Thank's for the replies.

I have a question.

When I did the run in KL, I handed the passport to them in the morning 10am and got it back next day 2pm.

Is it the same in Penang?

How long does it take to get from the Embassy to the Airport?

Appreciate any help in this matter,

regards

Thank's for the replies.

I have a question.

When I did the run in KL, I handed the passport to them in the morning 10am and got it back next day 2pm.

Is it the same in Penang?

How long does it take to get from the Embassy to the Airport?

Appreciate any help in this matter,

regards

Apply 09:00-11:30 and collect 14:00 to 16:00 next working day (closed Sat/Sun and Thai/Malay public holidays).

Consulate is way out in a very quiet residential area, if you can persuade a taxi to wait for you, then you are looking at maybe around an hour to get to the airport.

If you lose the taxi then it takes up to an hour to get back to George Town walking/bus, then you have probably more than an hour by taxi to the airport.

Edited by digitalchromakey

Thank you very much Digital Chromakey. I would like to leave the Embassy with a taxi to the Airport, just trying to sort out times.

I will see if I can convince a taxi to wait for me.

I was thinking of Bayview Hotel, in George town. Seems reasonably priced at 1700 THB.

I am not a party animal but where abouts is the night life, restaurants etc?