Ministry to try homeopathy in Sing Buri to fight dengue

Lite Beer

From RationalWiki therefore not subject to copyright restrictions....

Woo is a term used among skeptical writers to describe pseudoscientific explanations that have certain common characteristics.

The term comes from woo-woo, an epithet used in the 1990s by science and skeptical writers to ridicule people who believe or promote such things. This is in turn believed to have come from the onomatopoeia "woooooo!" as a reaction to dimmed lights or magic tricks. The term implies a lack of either intelligence or sincerity on the part of the person or concepts so described.

As a coincidence, the Chinese word "Wū" (巫) means a shaman, usually with magic powers.

Despite the terrible name, it has become quite a popular term. Woo is sometimes synonymous with bullshit, though there are differences. Bullshit is generally just a lie pulled out of wherever, about whatever. Woo is understood specifically as pseudoscience, uses a science-like formula, and attempts to place itself as scientifically, or at least reasonably, supported.

Woo generally contains most of the following characteristics:

1.A simple idea that purports to be the one answer to many problems (often including diseases)

2.A "scientific-sounding" reason for how it works, but little to no actual science behind it; for example, quote mines of studies that if bent enough could be described in such a way to support it, outright misapplication of studies, or words that sound scientific but make no sense in the context they are used in

3.It involves the supernatural and paranormal (not necessarily)

4.A claim of persecution, usually perpetrated by the government or the pharmaceutical, medical, or scientific community

5.An invocation of a scientific authority

6.Prefers to use abundant testimonials over actual scientific research

7.A claim that scientists are blind to the discovery, despite attempts to alert them

8.A disdain for objective, randomized experimental controls, especially double-blind testing (which are kind of what makes epidemiology actually, y'know, work)

9.And, usually, an offer to share the knowledge for a price.

Woo is usually not the description of an effect but of the explanation as to why the effect occurs. For example, homeopathy may occasionally give results, but as a placebo the explanations for these occasional results, e.g. water memory, are woo.

Woo is used to blind or distract an audience from a real explanation or to discourage people from delving deeper into the subject to find a more realistic explanation. You can't make money if nobody buys your bullshit. (As such, "woo" that has zero paying customers is more like just ordinary batshit crazy.)

http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Woo

• Like 1

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am amazed to read the prejudiced and ill formed dismissal of homeopathy here. Have the detractors ever taken any time to look into its wonderful power. The British Royal family amongst many other well know people are keen proponents of its healing power.

And they are also known for talking to plants.

• Like 2

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

@ bagheera65

please feel free to post the best peer-reviewed academic paper that you have come across during those 30 years you've been "studying" homepathy, that provides any evidence of homepathy's medical benefits

I was waiting for this one! Listen, life is simple and science too. And science is all about experiment, and experiment, and experiment again and again. You want to know the truth about Homeopathy? Just try it ( only when you need it , when you're sick of course ) or if you don't want , if you prefer to continue to, as i always say, "to talk about a movie that you've never seen" then go ahead, i don't mind and i'm not going to loose a single second of my life to try to explain something to people who obviously have decided that it's simply bullshit , even if they've NEVER experienced it before. What a great scientific attitude.....

What serious medical condition that you personally have suffered has been cured by sugar pills +/- "magic" water ?

Heart attack ? , Diabetes ? , Appendicitis ? , Broken leg ? , Malaria?

I could continue but do not wish to bore readers.

guys - for those of you who have no clue what homeopathy is, there is a good introduction on the NHS (National Health Service for the UK) website... www.nhs.uk/conditions/Homeopathy/Pages/Introduction.aspx

if there was any one entity in the world that could benefit from a cost saving new medicine, it would be the NHS but their position on this is very clear...

"There has been extensive investigation of the effectiveness of homeopathy. There is no good-quality evidence that homeopathy is effective as a treatment for any health condition"

Just read the NHS report, and obviously the guy who wrote it is another one who has never studied homeopathy. One or two things which are totally wrong in the NHS report:

"Practitioners believe that the more a substance is diluted in this way, the greater its power to treat symptoms."

WRONG, the more a substance is diluted don't make its power greater. The low dilution ( 5, 7 ch ) are for physical symptom, the higher ones ( 9, 15, 30, 200 ch ) are used for the most psychical symptoms. It doesn't touch the same PLAN, but it don't makes the medicine more powerful.

"Homeopathic remedies are generally safe and the risk of a serious adverse side effect arising from taking these remedies is thought to be small."

WRONG! The homeopathy is known as a "soft medicine" but it's not, believe me. If you decide to take by yourself one of the hundreds of different medicine that exist in homeopathy , and choose the wrong one, or in the wrong dilution, you're going to do what is called a PATHOGENESIS, which means that your body will go through all the symptoms associated with the medicine you took and it's no going to be funny...

Not only i wouldn't classify Homeopathy as a "soft medicine" but i would strongly not recommend to anyone to try it without someone who knows it well. Some homeopathic medicines can put you in extremely violent state ( Mercurius, Staphysagria, Hepar Sulfur, Stramonium for instance ) when one takes them when he don't need them. But if it's taken when you have the right symptoms then the ones listed above will cool you down. It's an extremely complex medicine, so don't do anything without knowing. No big chances that you will anyway as it's impossible to find homeopathy medicine in Thailand...

I am amazed to read the prejudiced and ill formed dismissal of homeopathy here. Have the detractors ever taken any time to look into its wonderful power. The British Royal family amongst many other well know people are keen proponents of its healing power. I am amazed,too, to read the strident dismissal of the placebo effect. Where are you people coming from? Haven't the detractors realized that science took a quantum leap thanks to the work of Einstein and others.way back in the early twentieth century? We no longer liver in the mechanistic Universe of Newton, Darwin and Descartes but in a world of quarks and bozons where atoms can be both particles and waves! Everything is energy, and to see the awesome power of that energy we need look no further than the horrific atomic explosions that obliterated the towns on Hiroshima and Nagasaki in 1945. The Chinese were the first to talk about energy cures when Yellow Emperor's book of healing showed that energy flowed through the body via the meridian system. This appeared 2,500 years ago and gave rise to the science of acupuncture.. Homeopathy is also a form of energy healing. All these modalities are far older than the current drug based medical treatments. The linear thinking behind this treatment is that for illness to occur something is lacking, so we give a chemical medicine that makes up for the missing component.. It does not take into account the holistic nature of a quantum perspective of the human body. Histamine is released by the body as a precursor to inflammation. This creates great pores in the surface of the arterial system. The result is a rash if you fall into a nettle patch. If histamine, however, enters the brain it stimulates thinking and motor activity. That's a very different reaction. That example explains why all pharmaceutical medications have side effects. Homeopathic remedies do not cause side effects. There are more than 20,000 homeopathic remedies; select the correct remedy at the correct potency and it will always work. Choose the wrong remedy and nothing happens! The irate dismissal of the amazing healing power of homeopathy comes from close minded blind prejudice that is deliberately fostered to protect the financial interests of the pharmaceutical industry but does little to improve the overall health of the population of this planet

At least one who knows what Homeopathy is. Thanks for posting it! You're right on everything EXCEPT on the point that "nothing can happen if you choose the wrong remedy" ( see my post above ). But although it could put you in very bad state, i agree that you won't die if you choose the wrong remedy.

From RationalWiki therefore not subject to copyright restrictions....

Woo is a term used among skeptical writers to describe pseudoscientific explanations that have certain common characteristics.

The term comes from woo-woo, an epithet used in the 1990s by science and skeptical writers to ridicule people who believe or promote such things. This is in turn believed to have come from the onomatopoeia "woooooo!" as a reaction to dimmed lights or magic tricks. The term implies a lack of either intelligence or sincerity on the part of the person or concepts so described.

As a coincidence, the Chinese word "Wū" (巫) means a shaman, usually with magic powers.

Despite the terrible name, it has become quite a popular term. Woo is sometimes synonymous with bullshit, though there are differences. Bullshit is generally just a lie pulled out of wherever, about whatever. Woo is understood specifically as pseudoscience, uses a science-like formula, and attempts to place itself as scientifically, or at least reasonably, supported.

Woo generally contains most of the following characteristics:

1.A simple idea that purports to be the one answer to many problems (often including diseases)

2.A "scientific-sounding" reason for how it works, but little to no actual science behind it; for example, quote mines of studies that if bent enough could be described in such a way to support it, outright misapplication of studies, or words that sound scientific but make no sense in the context they are used in

3.It involves the supernatural and paranormal (not necessarily)

4.A claim of persecution, usually perpetrated by the government or the pharmaceutical, medical, or scientific community

5.An invocation of a scientific authority

6.Prefers to use abundant testimonials over actual scientific research

7.A claim that scientists are blind to the discovery, despite attempts to alert them

8.A disdain for objective, randomized experimental controls, especially double-blind testing (which are kind of what makes epidemiology actually, y'know, work)

9.And, usually, an offer to share the knowledge for a price.

Woo is usually not the description of an effect but of the explanation as to why the effect occurs. For example, homeopathy may occasionally give results, but as a placebo the explanations for these occasional results, e.g. water memory, are woo.

Woo is used to blind or distract an audience from a real explanation or to discourage people from delving deeper into the subject to find a more realistic explanation. You can't make money if nobody buys your bullshit. (As such, "woo" that has zero paying customers is more like just ordinary batshit crazy.)

http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Woo

Or simply read post 29 for a classic example.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I am amazed to read the prejudiced and ill formed dismissal of homeopathy here. Have the detractors ever taken any time to look into its wonderful power. The British Royal family amongst many other well know people are keen proponents of its healing power. I am amazed,too, to read the strident dismissal of the placebo effect. Where are you people coming from? Haven't the detractors realized that science took a quantum leap thanks to the work of Einstein and others.way back in the early twentieth century? We no longer liver in the mechanistic Universe of Newton, Darwin and Descartes but in a world of quarks and bozons where atoms can be both particles and waves! Everything is energy, and to see the awesome power of that energy we need look no further than the horrific atomic explosions that obliterated the towns on Hiroshima and Nagasaki in 1945. The Chinese were the first to talk about energy cures when Yellow Emperor's book of healing showed that energy flowed through the body via the meridian system. This appeared 2,500 years ago and gave rise to the science of acupuncture.. Homeopathy is also a form of energy healing. All these modalities are far older than the current drug based medical treatments. The linear thinking behind this treatment is that for illness to occur something is lacking, so we give a chemical medicine that makes up for the missing component.. It does not take into account the holistic nature of a quantum perspective of the human body. Histamine is released by the body as a precursor to inflammation. This creates great pores in the surface of the arterial system. The result is a rash if you fall into a nettle patch. If histamine, however, enters the brain it stimulates thinking and motor activity. That's a very different reaction. That example explains why all pharmaceutical medications have side effects. Homeopathic remedies do not cause side effects. There are more than 20,000 homeopathic remedies; select the correct remedy at the correct potency and it will always work. Choose the wrong remedy and nothing happens! The irate dismissal of the amazing healing power of homeopathy comes from close minded blind prejudice that is deliberately fostered to protect the financial interests of the pharmaceutical industry but does little to improve the overall health of the population of this planet

I hope you never have a "heart attack" but if you do I presume your choice of "medicine" will be sugar pills and "magic" water ?

• Like 1

Tailor made!

Love the bit about the royal family. Prince Charles is a proponent and also a proponent of playing nice music to plants to help growth and general well-being of plants.

I hope you never have a "heart attack" but if you do I presume your choice of "medicine" will be sugar pills and "magic" water ?

Don't take us for more stupid than we are. If you have a heart attack you go of course directly to an hospital ! BUT if you want to recover from the side effects of your heart attack ( if you survived it ) then homeopathy will be very helpful. That said, homeopathy is not here for this kind of problem, or cancer, etc... but for hundreds of others, including serious one like for instance a whooping cough, usually classified as a children disease but which is very dangerous when you're an adult. NO "classic" medicine exist against it ( i know it, i had a whooping cough seven years ago ) except antibiotics they give you the first week supposedly to avoid you to give the virus to someone else. But it won't stop you to cough, which is the main problem of a whooping cough and even can be deadly in some cases. The only medicine which works is a homeopathy one ( Drosera, in most cases ).

To siampolee about the picture posted above:

And so, what? Did you EVER took homeopathy pills before? If you never did, it simply means that you're talking about something you don't know anything about, it's just a s simple as that.

good luck to you

Tailor made!

Love the bit about the royal family. Prince Charles is a proponent and also a proponent of playing nice music to plants to help growth and general well-being of plants.

But they're right. Even the horses of Queen Elizabeth are healed with homeopathic medicine. Instead to stupidly laugh about it, may be you could try to think that they might have a good reason to heal themselves with homeopathy... They're the british royal family, they have the best job in the world, why would they risk to die by using a medicine supposed to be complete bullshit?

May be because it's not.

I can't believe the amazingly stupid comments posted above... Does any of you, and i mean ANY OF YOU - ever studied of be healed with Homeopathy? And i don't mean to have take once or twice homeopathy pills but REALLY studied it during years and years? Obviously not, because if you did it like i did during the last thirty years you'll know that homeopathy is pure genius, and even a medicine closer to quanta physics than regular medicine as we know it. It's about time that homeopathy is introduced in Thailand as not only it can heal Dengue but also a lot of other diseases or problems more simple like the heat intolerance. And don't believe any of the supposed scientists telling you that homeopathy is bullshit it's their analysis which is. Believe me these guys NEVER tried homeopathy even once in their life! And by the way, Acupuncture is also a great medicine and it's a medicine at least 2000 years old, it was not invented yesterday.

What i can admit is someone saying "i'm sorry but from all what i've studied i can't see how Homeopathy can work". THAT would be fair, and objective. Because this is where all the problem is: they don't understand why it works because homeopathy seems to go against all known scientific current knowledge. Now, mark my words, folks: Homeopathy is so ahead of anything that science knows ( so far ) that when they'll find finally why it works it will revolutionize all others theories.

Nuff said'

So you're telling us that you know more than 'supposed' scientists. Wow. What about the real ones? Have you every thought of presenting your evidence in a scientific paper? If you do one tiny word of advice don't end it with 'Nuff said'. It tends to lose some gravitas for some reason.

Acupuncture is a different matter. It is widely used, particularly in China for all sorts of complaints and illnesses and in most of those cases it doesn't work. A lot of Chinese medicine takes a long time to be effective. Thousands of years in fact so it's only now that it's causing and increase in life expectancy. Don't listen to anyone who tells you that it's because they are now using western medicines, it's all bullshit. Nuff said.

Acupuncture does have a beneficial effect in terms of pain relief and this has been proven by scientists. I saw a lot of the research on television. The problem they faced was how do you do a double blind test with needles. I can't remember how they overcame this problem but I know it was very clever. With the real needles they could see an effect on brain patterns in areas associated with pain so they knew it worked. There was also a scientist who didn't believe that homoeopathy worked and was doing experiments to prove this . She ended up with results that seemed to suggest that it did. She went to James Randi who has offered a large reward for anyone who can show it works (maybe you should call him. It was about a million $ I think). He proved that her figures were wrong and she understood why.

• Like 2

The people in the most danger, with dengue fever, for example, are those with poorly functioning immune systems.

Well... people with poorly functioning immune systems happen to be in the most danger of taking a homepathic substance.

A presumed advantageous response to a homeopathic medicine requires, inherently, a well functioning immune system.

See the problem? Those who need something most to help them... are the very people who should never take a homeopathic medicine.

And, those who really don't need it, shouldn't take it because "they don't need it." Hello?

I know this via many aspects.... over 250,000 patient visits, and two separate doctorate degrees in healthcare. This topic can be closed.

Tailor made!

But they're right. Even the horses of Queen Elizabeth are healed with homeopathic medicine. Instead to stupidly laugh about it, may be you could try to think that they might have a good reason to heal themselves with homeopathy... They're the british royal family, they have the best job in the world, why would they risk to die by using a medicine supposed to be complete bullshit?

May be because it's not.

They're also a bunch of inbreeders who have produced more than a few mutants in their time.

Mod Note: This is not an insult, merely an observation; Royals tend to marry within the family.

Don't take us for more stupid than we are. If you have a heart attack you go of course directly to an hospital ! BUT if you want to recover from the side effects of your heart attack ( if you survived it ) then homeopathy will be very helpful. That said, homeopathy is not here for this kind of problem, or cancer, etc... but for hundreds of others, including serious one like for instance a whooping cough, usually classified as a children disease but which is very dangerous when you're an adult. NO "classic" medicine exist against it ( i know it, i had a whooping cough seven years ago ) except antibiotics they give you the first week supposedly to avoid you to give the virus to someone else. But it won't stop you to cough, which is the main problem of a whooping cough and even can be deadly in some cases. The only medicine which works is a homeopathy one ( Drosera, in most cases ).

Why would a supporter of the "magic cure" ever want to go to hospital where they would be given all kinds of nasy "Big Pharma" drugs !

Seems the faith is very weak or only intended for "others"

By the way !

Whooping cough is not caused by a virus !

Look up "Bordetella pertussis" then tell me all about the "magic" pill which "cures" this bacterial infection !

Look up

Edited by thepool

The people in the most danger, with dengue fever, for example, are those with poorly functioning immune systems.

Well... people with poorly functioning immune systems happen to be in the most danger of taking a homepathic substance.

A presumed advantageous response to a homeopathic medicine requires, inherently, a well functioning immune system.

See the problem? Those who need something most to help them... are the very people who should never take a homeopathic medicine.

And, those who really don't need it, shouldn't take it because "they don't need it." Hello?

I know this via many aspects.... over 250,000 patient visits, and two separate doctorate degrees in healthcare. This topic can be closed.

Okay, over 250,000 patient visits, and two separate doctorate degrees in healthcare, but did you ever studied homeopathy, YES or NOT? Probably not, because you're convinced it is bullshit before ever trying it, right?

Now, if a patient has a poorly immune system this is - contrary to what you think - a very good reason to take homeopathy pills ( the right ones, of course ). Why?, because - also contrary to what you think - homeopathy is incredibly powerful and will help to restore the immune system. You can take all vitamins your want at the same time, it won't hurt but nothing will be as powerful.

But you never tried homeopathy obviously and this is what i can accept, to see scientists talking about having a scientific attitude about something they've never experiment. it's a shame, really.

• Like 1

Okay, over 250,000 patient visits, and two separate doctorate degrees in healthcare, but did you ever studied homeopathy, YES or NOT? Probably not, because you're convinced it is bullshit before ever trying it, right?

Now, if a patient has a poorly immune system this is - contrary to what you think - a very good reason to take homeopathy pills ( the right ones, of course ). Why?, because - also contrary to what you think - homeopathy is incredibly powerful and will help to restore the immune system. You can take all vitamins your want at the same time, it won't hurt but nothing will be as powerful.

But you never tried homeopathy obviously and this is what i can accept, to see scientists talking about having a scientific attitude about something they've never experiment. it's a shame, really.

Just simple question does "homeopathy" "cure" Malaria or a broken leg or appendicitis or indeed anything ?

Lets have a list of what the "magic water" and sugar pills actually CURES.

Why would a supporter of the "magic cure" ever want to go to hospital where they would be given all kinds of nasy "Big Pharma" drugs !

Seems the faith is very weak or only intended for "others"

By the way !

Whooping cough is not caused by a virus !

Look up "Bordetella pertussis" then tell me all about the "magic" pill which "cures" this bacterial infection !

Look up

Because when you have a heart attack they don't give you remedies, they first try to save you, the remedies comes after, if you've survived.

And, okay, a whooping cough is a bacteria, not a virus, i give you that, but it doesn't change the fact that no classic medicine remedies can help you if you have one. Only Drosera, and a few others one, in homeopathy.

Just simple question does "homeopathy" "cure" Malaria or a broken leg or appendicitis or indeed anything ?

Are you completely stupid or what? There is not even classic medicine remedies for appendicitis or broken leg... They're is surgery but no remedies will do anything against these. As for the list of what homeopathy actually cures, it cures everything from physical problem to difficult psychical problems ( depression for instance ) except cancers or AIDS or anything which requires surgery. But it will be very helpful to recover from, for instance, side effects of chimiotherapy or post surgery shock and even help AIDS patients to restore their immune system.

@ bagheera65

please feel free to post the best peer-reviewed academic paper that you have come across during those 30 years you've been "studying" homepathy, that provides any evidence of homepathy's medical benefits

I was waiting for this one! Listen, life is simple and science too. And science is all about experiment, and experiment, and experiment again and again. You want to know the truth about Homeopathy? Just try it ( only when you need it , when you're sick of course ) or if you don't want , if you prefer to continue to, as i always say, "to talk about a movie that you've never seen" then go ahead, i don't mind and i'm not going to loose a single second of my life to try to explain something to people who obviously have decided that it's simply bullshit , even if they've NEVER experienced it before. What a great scientific attitude.....

Well I have tried it some years ago when I used to get very bad coughs. I can't remember what it was I used but my cough disappeared.

Unfortunately the next 2 times it didn't so my unscientific conclusion was that it doesn't work for me. At least not very reliably. It could have been placebo effect or more likely it went on it's own which it always does anyway eventually.

Judging by your posts I'd be more worried about it's effects on mental capacity if I didn't know it won't do any harm or good.

Edited by kimamey

Are you completely stupid or what? There is not even classic medicine remedies for appendicitis or broken leg... They're is surgery but no remedies will do anything against these. As for the list of what homeopathy actually cures, it cures everything from physical problem to difficult psychical problems ( depression for instance ) except cancers or AIDS or anything which requires surgery. But it will be very helpful to recover from, for instance, side effects of chimiotherapy or post surgery shock and even help AIDS patients to restore their immune system.

If one requires surgery which "magic pill" enables anaesthesia ? Or does the Quack system suddenly fail to provide the answer ?

Why would an advocate of "homeopathy" opt for drugs from Big Pharma ?

Have the detractors ever taken any time to look into its wonderful power.

Well I've tried it but I wouldn't use just my experience as proof one way or the other. I could look into it a bit more I suppose but then again I don't have anything like the facilities or knowledge that scientists do so I'll listen to them. If they found proof they could go to James Randi and win his $1,000,000 challenge.

I've already mentioned Chinese remedies but here's a quick view of what I said.

The Chinese have been using their medicines for thousands of years but it's only now that they are using western medicine that their like expectancy is increasing.

Acupuncture has been proved to work for pain relief but most of the other claims haven't. This proof comes from scientists. They're the people who say homoeopathy doesn't work.

As for the placebo effect that has been shown to work even if the person being given it is told it's a placebo.

• Like 2

James Randi's $1,000,000 is safe !

The Quacks of whatever persuasion will never be able to provide proof of their claims.

It is beyond time that people woke up and realised the Quacks are becoming rich on the back of false claims !