Where to go?

smilesfly

Hello fellows,

I am reaching my limit. It's close to break now. I'm thinking of my old folks back home and no child should pass before their parents do. I drink too much and it is destroying my life and mind. I'm thinking of going to a hospital tonight or tomorrow morning but I don't know where and how they can help me but it's a risk I will have to take. I am need of help. I am in Sathorn, Bangkok. Any recommendations? Thanks.

For the sake of your parents (and yourself) please get the help you need. You are right about parents needing to pass away before their children; the devastation my parents have suffered since my brother died does not ease - their lives have been hollow from that day.

Maybe, just maybe, the best place for you to be is back home with them. Maybe that could help you.

Good luck.

• Like 2

It is easy if you really WANT TO, not just make noise like most do re stop smoking or drinking to excess !

Toughen up mentally & make a plan, reduce your point of focus to a small space or time frame, e.g. daily, all mental energy on "no drinking today" repeat - repeat etc

You need to replace the time you spend on the piss with other activities, hopefully some healthy !

You will find if you look at your group of friend / associates some are a negative influence, again toughen up and limit your exposure to them.

I took a few weeks to formulate these steps many years back, I smoked twice in my life - I went hard, 2nd time I was on 3 packs a day - I went to zero forever by these steps

Most important is if you want to mouth platitudes and wank on like a schoolgirl - Ooh I wish I could etc - you will fail - so TOUGHEN UP and WIN !

I am now in Cambodia, I was drinking way too much, 2 x bottles Scotch & Vodka weekly at home + beers, then out with friends, some days 12 - 15 beers in bars - 3 weeks ago I did it all again, stopped COLD - I have lost noticeable weight and I feel like a new younger me.

The difference in mental focus & energy is like a new game plan on life as it becomes a real prospect daily.

Feel free to let me know the results if you make it happen

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Maybe these people can help you out. From the map in the link there are many meetings around Sathorn! Best wishes, you can beat this! http://www.aathailand.org/meetings-map/Bangkok

Another option, you might want to look into is http://www.thamkrabok.net/

You may also want to consider moving to Suadi !

" I'm thinking of going to a hospital tonight or tomorrow morning ,or tomorrow afternoon ,or tomorrow evening,maybe the day after tomorrow or next week ,or...........

You think too much and you drink too much .

Think about your funeral ,will it be this month,this year or next year?

So get serious about it ,or continue drinking.

First thing I would look at doing is changing the people you are with.

Do you have a thai girlfriend? She and her friends could help.

Have you thought abut moving to a different area?

The bet thing to do is change what you do and where you do it.

If you need people to talk to then let us know here I am sure there are those of us that are willing to help if you really want it

This may sound strange but. GET THEE TO A TEMPLE. Find an English speaking monk. Let him know your problem. They deal with this alot and will definitely be able to helpyou immediately.

It may require you living with them but I guarantee they will remove it all from you.

There is a facility they run for drug addicts that has been reported about a lot. make no mistake about this you are a drug addict or drug abuser. They may be cigarettes and alchohol and they may be legal but they are a drug.

Edited by kingstonkid

There's not much way of knowing which posts are genuine on here. I've not met many (if any) alcoholics who are still knocking back the booze and would be talking about it openly on a forum about being an alchoholic. And just what do you imagine a Thai hospital would do to cure your alcoholism? Give you an anti histamine to sleep better? Waste several thousand baht seeing a psychiast for 20 minutes?

Edited by Zodaka

Maybe these people can help you out. From the map in the link there are many meetings around Sathorn! Best wishes, you can beat this! http://www.aathailand.org/meetings-map/Bangkok

Hi, Pluto, I read the website about thamkrabok monastery. What a wonderful place with great ways of helping people.

If I am ever in that area, I would like to have a look myself.

Good on you from down under

Wolly

• Like 2

Man, some of these responses to a guys serious cry for help are too sarcastic or just WAY too cold....certainly not a way I'd treat and alcoholic crying out for help

My thoughts exactly, guess the poster that said move to Suadi has never suffered with this kind of addiction, good luck OP

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

You may also want to consider moving to Suadi !

Mr Compassion!!!!

Some people can dry out at home with tablets from the doctor. If you get very bad, though, you may shake too much and need to stay in hospital. A lot of it is will-power, and finding other things to do.

The monastery is a very special place and not for everyone. It seems to work for some people. But, it is a real cold-turkey thing, including a special drink which makes you vomit. There are no feather beds, and you won't sleep well for some time. You have to follow the buddhist rules.

There is another place near C Rai--not monks, but run by a belgian guy. I am sure that somebody has the link. It is quite cheap to stay there, but you will have to get up at 6am and work in the gardens or something. The people are counsellors and therapists.

There is another place or two, but the high-end rehabs charge about 6,000 GBP a month.

The AA is very good for some people but you have to keep going to meetings. You will find other people who have been in your situation. Perhaps an AA meeting is good to try. You will see that you are not alone.

Alcohol really can kill you. No other drug has such nasty effects on all your internal organs.

Eddy

• Like 1

Well, I stopped drinking about 3 months ago. Been heavy drinker 20+ years and it was finally catching up on me. I started having lack of energy, stomach was constantly loose, overweight, sleeping bad, looked old and tired...the final drop was that my partner told me that he doesn't understand why I drink.

Most of my social life was in the pubs and when having a drink with friends or people I met. So I had to come up with a plan to fill my hours. I started having long walks 5-8 kilometers whenever I felt restless (= wanting to go to a pub). First month was the worst. I had to take some sleeping pills and painkillers (alcohol is sort of a numbing medium in itself). Second month was much easier and now I feel much better.

The only downside was that when I got more active in sports I got a motorbike accident driving from my exercise place. Now my ankle in cast so need to wait a while. Anyway, I feel it is rather simple. Go see a doctor if you feel bad, they can give you B vitamine injections to help you recover and if you feel anxious or can't sleep just tell them so. I saw a doctor and I believe they don't have similar attitudes towards heavy drinkers that one might experience in the West. The doctor I saw was very supportive and helpful in advice.

One at first will be very bored since drinkers often have only this thing to fill their hours of idleness. But when one starts to get around like going to movies and maybe take that little trip with their loved ones or families, it all starts to change. I started walking with my partner and made a diet plan also. We have now been doing more things together than in last 5 years. I also decided something that may sound silly but made a huge difference...when I was tired, drunk or hungover from the last night, I never wanted to have activities with my lover and family...now I decided to say 'Yes' to any suggestion that is reasonable and involves time together with family. It can be just small picnic that we prepare our own food or a day trip to nearby city on my partners day off. This way new possibilities have opened up to make meaningful things together not to mention that my relationship has improved and now we talk and share.

It will be difficult, you may have relapse, but eventually it is about you. Talk to your friends (those who are not permanent barflies), make plans and stick to them and stay away from people that drink and go to bars. In the end, it is your life. You need to make a promise to yourself to be better, not perfect, but improving slowly. In just few months you will feel like a different person.

I am a bit weak-minded and had one relapse but I don't dwell in that. I feel much better and hope you will feel that when you will love yourself enough to give up drinking. All the best for you.

• Like 2

Thanks for the replies. The gentle advice, sarcasm, and kicks up the backside are appreciated. No more postponing, today is the first day of the rest of my life!

Thanks again.

If you relapse you won't be the first. Pick yourself up and start over again.

Good luck.

Get yourself away from the triggers.

I moved away from Sukhumvit a few years ago because it was too easy "for me" to over do it. Friday's were automatic rituals followed by Saturdays.

It's been a few years now and maybe once a year I will have a beer but that's it. Life without hangovers is much better.

Good luck.

• Like 1

Sawasdee my Friend,

You have done two things right so far:

You have acknowledged and admitted to a problem

And you are seeking help.

If you understand what your problem is: are you an Alcoholic or an habitual drinker? Then you can consider your options.

This is the first day of the rest of your life. Something has to change.

Sit down and make some kind of plan that demonstrates you know what your objectives are.

This is you, not me but if it were me I would first want to know how much I am drinking - make a note of it.

Then decide on a regime that reduces this by an amount (say, 10%) per day/ week/ month

Write it down, commit yourself to it

The important thing about all of this is that you will be doing something to help yourself. It will give you self-confidence and self respect and you will feel good that you are succeeding at reaching your objectives.

If you want me to help with this, send me a message.

Kind regards from Chris

• Like 1

As ChrisKC says above here - You have taken two important steps already as you have admitted and realised that you have a drinking problem and secondly you are seeking help for this.

If you dont admit to yourself and realise that you have a problem -- there is no way in the world you can do somethingh about it.

I have been in Your shoes 5-6 years ago - but like most others and like that what they say in AA - you need to hit your personal bottom to realise this. If you dont hit the bottom real bad you wont realise that you have a problem. When I realised that I was an alcoholic and that I needed help - the first major step towards healing and sobriety was taken. Many other steps was needed and much discomfort along the way had to be lived through - but man does it feel great to sober nowadays. I can still go to a bar and socialize with others but I have a coke or a fruitjuice or whatever I want instead of a beer or drink. I dont waste money, braincells, I never wake up with a hangover and blackout and hefty regrets and I save a lot of money as well - but most important - I stay sober!

Alcoholism is a progressive disease that if not cured eventually will end up with death. And probably a terrible death as well.....

There is only one solution to alcoholism - and that is to stop consume alcohol. This process is not easy and it might take a long time also - but it is definitively possible. If youre still drinking - you will first need detoxication. This must be done in a place where they know how to handle this. Dont go to a doctor and "get som pills" as others have said earlier in this thread, Thats is not smart at all - you will need a lot more than a couple of pills.

After detox - you will need some time in a rehab place. And after that you will probably need some treatment for a while and follow up.

Involve all your near and dear ones. GTell them the truth - tell them you need help and understanding, tell them youre on your way to sobriety. Its much easier if you involve your nearest.

Its not uncommon to have a relapse or two during this process - but dont give up - theres always hope.

Where and what institutions that are suitable for you in Thailand I do not know - but you have already got some suggestions in this thread.

Personally I reached the first bottom in the Philippines and the second time in Thailand - but both times I was helped back to my home country and recived help there. For more than two years I wasnt outside my own country during the healing process but after that I have been travelling extencively - and wow how much enjoyment and pleasure I have had in my life after I stopped drinking. You wouldnt belive it!

You have made the first important step - now take the other steps as well. You wont regret it and continuing drinking will lead you only one way. Dont follow that way.

Good Luck With your healing process! And dont give up! Theres always hope!

Edited by Mangkhut
  • Like 1

It is easy if you really WANT TO, not just make noise like most do re stop smoking or drinking to excess !

Toughen up mentally & make a plan, reduce your point of focus to a small space or time frame, e.g. daily, all mental energy on "no drinking today" repeat - repeat etc

You need to replace the time you spend on the piss with other activities, hopefully some healthy !

You will find if you look at your group of friend / associates some are a negative influence, again toughen up and limit your exposure to them.

I took a few weeks to formulate these steps many years back, I smoked twice in my life - I went hard, 2nd time I was on 3 packs a day - I went to zero forever by these steps

Most important is if you want to mouth platitudes and wank on like a schoolgirl - Ooh I wish I could etc - you will fail - so TOUGHEN UP and WIN !

I am now in Cambodia, I was drinking way too much, 2 x bottles Scotch & Vodka weekly at home + beers, then out with friends, some days 12 - 15 beers in bars - 3 weeks ago I did it all again, stopped COLD - I have lost noticeable weight and I feel like a new younger me.

The difference in mental focus & energy is like a new game plan on life as it becomes a real prospect daily.

Feel free to let me know the results if you make it happen

I'm glad to hear that this approach has worked for you.

That being said, it may not work for everyone and certainly may not for an alcoholic, if that is what the OP feels he is.

As i understand it, there is a difference in the "heavy drinker" as opposed to the "alcoholic". One can, I suppose, "stop cold" if they drink heavily. The alcoholic, however, has an uncontrollable need to drink, and no degree of human advice or willpower can alter that.

Alcoholism is classified as a disease by the WHO and numerous other medical bodies. As a disease, and like other diseases, willing the disease to abate is very unlikely to have any effect. It is much like telling a person with diabetes to will the disease away and be strong. This approach is highly unlikely to have any winners.

Drinking alcohol to the point where one becomes alcoholic is a symptom of the disease. The underlying reasons are much more complex. Support groups, such as Alcoholics Anonymous, helps the individual to understand the disease, develope a program to deal with the disease and to provide emotion support through the fellowship of other alcoholics.

I don't know the OP, I'm not a doctor or counselor and I wouldn't presume to prescribe any sort of plan or "treatment".

Posting of personal experiences can be helpful. I prefer to avoid language that uses such controversial terms such as "...mouth platitudes and wank on like a schoolgirl - Ooh I wish I could etc - you will fail...".

Even though it may be unintentional, to the person suffering, those words may only accelerate their downward spiral.

One Day at a Time

What Benmart said is 100% on the money....Good luck with getting sober, its a great way of life to be free of Alcohol.

Whether or not you will need a medically supervised physical detox depends. Many people are able to work solely with AA meetings and a sponsor (which has the advantage of being free of cost). Do you develop tremors or other physical difficulties if you don't drink? If so that would suggest a need for a supervised initial detox. If however you experience craving to drink but no tremors or severe physical symptoms, it might not be necessary. Wither way you will definitely need external help to deal with the craving to drink. Even a medically supervised detox will do you no good if you don't have assistance afterwards to avoid drinking again. The physiological aspects of an addiction are the easiest to deal with.

A couple of general observations in Thailand| which I don't think are as prominent in some other places:

1) Socializing and making friends between foreigners seems to be based around drinking or meeting in a drinking establishment. I can't think of many people who do other things together such as bike rides, house visits, etc.

2) When I go out to restaurants or bars there's an unfair amount of pressure to buy alcohol from the serving staff and establishment owners. Avoiding alcohol is often met with glares, assumptions that you must be short of money or simply mean with it, or even in one case I was accused of being gay for ordering a water then an orange juice!!

I am not a big drinker and many times I don't feel like consuming any alcohol but I've sometimes ended up buying a beer just because of pressure from either people I've opted to meet up with.