Alternatives to Thailand. Cambodia ? Philippines ?

septimus

I like the Philippines but retirement in Thailand is much easier, with respect to visas. I don't keep 800k in a Thai bank, I get a Verification of Pension letter from my embassy, thai immigration accepts it in lieu of money in the bank. As I recall the Philippines requires $10,000 US in one of their banks with a verified pension.

Alternatives to SE Asia? Back to the USA for me smile.png

no money required for I card if you have a filipina wife ....

much, much different.

I was divorced from my filipina wife, but passport says i am still married....Voila !!!!!

Hadn't thought of this before now, but as there's no such thing as divorce in Philippines (you'd need to annul the marriage) if you were to divorce your wife outside of PI I guess in the eyes of PI immigration your still married Edited by JB300

You have to admit that even the Filipinos don't want to live in the PI...at least the ones that I've met. Where do you live, btw?

Incorrect. I know many who have married friends...and myself 30 years ago...and lived in the states. They all want to go back to PI..... with money of course.

same idea as the Isaan gal returning with the fat farang wallet and making her mark.

In the Philippines, it is very tribal... People in a Barrio are like a big family. It is the social interaction that is missing completely where I live in Udon, now. The Filipinos are all out in the streets mingling with neighbors, singing, drinking outside and kind of hanging out. Thai people stay indoors when at home. Filipinos stay outdoors....and group up. It is kind of festive. They organize into Barkadas (packs of close friends) and roam around... They miss that alot

If you ever really talk to a Filipina/Filipino in the USA ....they will seem happy, but you can see they miss their Barrio and Barkada of friends... and will get misty eyed.... You need to see how happy they are when they get back herE..

The part about Thais staying indoors is not the way it is where I'm at. We're always outdoors in the village way up north. Only go inside for sleeping and bad weather.

The reason is the "Siesta"(inherited from the Spanish era).... and unemployment. Most Thai's are employed...and so not outside...Most people in the Philippines are unemployed.

The farms in Thailand are obviously out and about.... but most Thai's fear getting dark. People in the Philippines are darker,

Edited by slipperylobster

I like the Philippines but retirement in Thailand is much easier, with respect to visas. I don't keep 800k in a Thai bank, I get a Verification of Pension letter from my embassy, thai immigration accepts it in lieu of money in the bank. As I recall the Philippines requires $10,000 US in one of their banks with a verified pension.

Alternatives to SE Asia? Back to the USA for me smile.png

no money required for I card if you have a filipina wife ....

much, much different.

I was divorced from my filipina wife, but passport says i am still married....Voila !!!!!

Hadn't thought of this before now, but as there's no such thing as divorce in Philippines (you'd need to annul the marriage) if you were to divorce your wife outside of PI I guess in the eyes of PI immigration your still married

True..if Married in the Philippines. We were married and divorced in San Diego. Perfectly ok.

whistling.gif Just my personal preference.... but if I had the funds and had to choose some place to retire to other than Thailand, it would be Vietnam, probably around Vung Tau , south of Ho Chi Minh City as it is now called.

I spent my first year in Southeast Asia as a 19 year old boy there in 1966 to 1967, and although it has changed a lot since that time, well so have I ....and I could happily spend my last years drinking a cold beer on the porch of my rented flat watching the Sun setting over the South China Sea in the distance.

No particular reason, except that is as good a place to spend my last days as any other.

Edited by IMA_FARANG
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...

I'll add my two cents to this discussion.

I've gone to Boracay more than two dozen times and married a Filipina, but Thailand is the clear winner over the Phils. Manila is a nightmare and I've gone there plenty of times. The traffic is the killer for me, I can't stand having to spend an hour in a cab just to go a few kilometers. The LRT and MRT in Manila suck beyond imagination, and Filipinos can't get their act together.

The Phils, however, does have good islands, though the tourist infrastructure and getting to those places are tough. El Nido bests Boracay as the best beach in the Phils, though the latter is more fun. Coron is great for nature, and Malapasqua is gaining a following for its beautiful beach.

I've read about Thailand in another popular forum and yes, it seems Filipinas trump Thais in the wife dept.

I went to Bohol and cebu for 3 weeks 2 years back. I loved it. People are friendly and open. I saw lots of similarities to Thailand hearing expats complain about girls, etc. I never had one issue while their, even walked from my hotel to a near by shopping mall regulary. I never even had any issues with Taxis unlike Bangok where I was attacked for taking a picture of a drivers info so I could report

him for refusing the fair.

Western food is much cheaper then Thailand for sure. Being able to communicate is a big plus. It is a much poorer country then Thailand with limited inferstructure but in most urbon areas you can find most things that you would want.

Security is a concern but I never had any issues at all. Maybe my view point is different because I skipped Manila, but I would consider the Philippines.

I like Malaysia a lot despite what most of the typical Thailand sexpats say it is a great place, I consider it my second home since I have visited so often over the last 15 years while living in Thailand. Each place has its own positives and negatives for sure. Cambodia is not bad just not for me.

[quote name="jomcondo" post="7590042" timestamp="1395384040"

Oh ok. I thought the Philippine government is asking for 800,000. smile.png

Just wondering how you thought he meant that when he wrote...................."No 800.000 Needed ?"

That's why I'm asking because I don't know that No 800.000

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Go to Fillys.

Meet a girl who is educated and bring her here to live.

Thats the perfect solution.

Fillys is a shit hole.

Thats why all the Pinos want to leave!

+1

There is a good reason why so many westerners take their filipinas to live in thailand.

PI is a complete dump......I don't know how they messed it up so bad, but they have.

The food is some of the worst in the world.

Oucchhhhh.....

I think much better for me to leave this forum now. I don't want to read any comments against Philippines.

Edited by genobkk

Thailand is safer then the Philippines, and the only "cultural" activity there will be to have lot of girl friends..nothing more, but I agree that Philippine women are easier to read, more westernized, and fun to be around.

Thinking in moving away from Thailand, when I was single, I visited Bali and really loved the people and the culture there. Stunning landscapes too, and better weather. Immigration requirements were no so bad, and foreigners can work and own properties. Cost of living similar to Thailand, and most people speaks English. More choices in women, very friendly, and not only the locals. A lot of Western single women from every world country are living in Bali, and looking for adventure with other foreigners or the locals. Something that doesn't happens in Thailand so much.

Thailand is safer then the Philippines, and the only "cultural" activity there will be to have lot of girl friends..nothing more, but I agree that Philippine women are easier to read, more westernized, and fun to be around.

Thinking in moving away from Thailand, when I was single, I visited Bali and really loved the people and the culture there. Stunning landscapes too, and better weather. Immigration requirements were no so bad, and foreigners can work and own properties. Cost of living similar to Thailand, and most people speaks English. More choices in women, very friendly, and not only the locals. A lot of Western single women from every world country are living in Bali, and looking for adventure with other foreigners or the locals. Something that doesn't happens in Thailand so much.

After living and working in Manila from 96-02, I was offered a post in Bangkok, which I jumped at as Manila had very much started to get me down. So after seven semi e notable years in Bangkok, I was moved to Dongguan in China where are still reside and work.

Last month I was required to visit Manila on business and what a huge difference I found. Instead of using the ancient NAIA T1, it's now T3 in use and it's much better planned and seems to have stamped out the scammers. The short(ish) taxi ride to the hotel was cheap, the driver was amiable and able to hold a decent conversation, however the traffic had not improved very much.

The hotel in Rockwell was superb, clean, modern and the staff seemed genuinely pleasant and very helpful. Across from the hotel was a huge shopping mall, with too many eating holes to shake a fist at, and not just local but Australian as well as European fare on offer.

The supermarket was a delight, so many imported cheeses, meats, beers, spirits as well as a good sized area selling Waitrose products from the UK.

Not being a penny pincher, I wasn't too concerned about prices, but I believed that overall prices were on par or slightly cheaper than Thailand.

The Filipino people are streets ahead of Thais, they speak English and they have a more Western mind set. Example, one day I left the Mall in the middle of a thunderstorm and lashing down with rain. I stood under a canopy waiting to cross the road to the hotel when my arm was held by a aging lady who put us both under umbrella and we crossed the road together. In all my travels, that has never happened to me before.

Yes there are armed guards everywhere and its something one gets used to, however, I have always noticed in the PR there always seem to be lots of girls at check out counters. I think it may be a way of giving employment to a very over populated country.

• Like 2

negatives for flipper are much more crime and problems with police, bribes, thefts and scams. also danger to person, people carrying wespons willing to use them etc.

negatives for cambodia include not much to do, boredom, other foreigners who are genuinely down and out, not just complainers, drug addicts, not much to do. constant nagging by hawkers, motos who will follow you slowly down the street as you walk and not take no for an answer or who will wait outside youf hotel or apt all morning until you come out. homosexual vibe to many of the cambofian men imo.

the food also sucks in both countries. thai street food is excellent in comparison.

Homophobic idiots when they come out in the morning.

I went to Bohol and cebu for 3 weeks 2 years back. I loved it. People are friendly and open. I saw lots of similarities to Thailand hearing expats complain about girls, etc. I never had one issue while their, even walked from my hotel to a near by shopping mall regulary. I never even had any issues with Taxis unlike Bangok where I was attacked for taking a picture of a drivers info so I could report

Western food is much cheaper then Thailand for sure. Being able to communicate is a big plus. It is a much poorer country then Thailand with limited inferstructure but in most urbon areas you can find most things that you would want.

Security is a concern but I never had any issues at all. Maybe my view point is different because I skipped Manila, but I would consider the Philippines.

I like Malaysia a lot despite what most of the typical Thailand sexpats say it is a great place, I consider it my second home since I have visited so often over the last 15 years while living in Thailand. Each place has its own positives and negatives for sure. Cambodia is not bad just not for me.

3 weeks is hardly enough to give a useful opinion as to how life in the Philippines is.

I've been living in the Philippines over a year:

Western food is not really cheaper in the Philippines compared to Bangkok. Some is cheaper, some more expensive.

Overall much better food options in Thailand.

The street food in Thailand is much more abundant, more fresh, and cheaper.

Fresh fruit, which are on every street corner in Thailand, are almost nowhere to be found in Metro Manila.

7-11s in Bangkok are much better: bigger, more products, better and healthier food options, better air-con.

A condo in Metro Manila, same size, same quality, same distance from the business center, will be 20-30% more expensive than in Bangkok.

I currently pay in Metro Manila 25k thb (33k peso) for a 60m condo, which is not in the business center.

I used to pay 18k thb in Bangkok for a similar size condo, although it was older. And it was a 3 minute motorcycle ride or 15 minute walk from a BTS staition.

Taxis are a problem in Metro Manila. Many drivers will refuse to take you by meter.

I solve that by using Taxi Lines in malls, office busildings or hotels - the drivers never argue in Taxi Lines.

In small cities in the Philippines there are no taxis, only small Tuk-Tuk like vehicles, which of course do not have a meter.

Most Filipinos use Jeepneys, which are cheap, but slow, hot (they are open vehicles), and of course you get to breath all the polution.

Security is a much bigger concern in the Philippines, and security guards are everywhere: apartment buildings, office buildings, malls, banks, government offices, cinemas.

Seems like there are a hundred thousand security guards in Metro Manila.

If you need internet for work or business, you have a big problem.

I use two separate connections that cost me a total of 2,000 thb per month (2,600 peso), and still I have problems on occasion.

If you need to travel within Metro Manila, or would like to travel to another city: again, you are screwed.

Traffic is a nightmare in Metro Manila - less than 10km per hour on average. Sometimes less than 5km per hour.

Going to Subic, 110 km from where I live, took me 6-7 hours using the public transportation network.

Anybody lived in Malaysia? I have looked at property prices in Malaysia and it seems quite expensive. Nothing under US$250 a month. I can rent basic room in Thailand for $50 a month and up so for me, Thailand is a no-brainer. I went over to Cambodia, and it's the same thing. High prices for rentals. The only other country with cheap accomodation seems to be the Philippines.

3 weeks is hardly enough to give a useful opinion as to how life in the Philippines is.

I've been living in the Philippines over a year:

Western food is not really cheaper in the Philippines compared to Bangkok. Some is cheaper, some more expensive.

Overall much better food options in Thailand.

The street food in Thailand is much more abundant, more fresh, and cheaper.

Fresh fruit, which are on every street corner in Thailand, are almost nowhere to be found in Metro Manila.

7-11s in Bangkok are much better: bigger, more products, better and healthier food options, better air-con.

A condo in Metro Manila, same size, same quality, same distance from the business center, will be 20-30% more expensive than in Bangkok.

I currently pay in Metro Manila 25k thb (33k peso) for a 60m condo, which is not in the business center.

I used to pay 18k thb in Bangkok for a similar size condo, although it was older. And it was a 3 minute motorcycle ride or 15 minute walk from a BTS staition.

Taxis are a problem in Metro Manila. Many drivers will refuse to take you by meter.

I solve that by using Taxi Lines in malls, office busildings or hotels - the drivers never argue in Taxi Lines.

In small cities in the Philippines there are no taxis, only small Tuk-Tuk like vehicles, which of course do not have a meter.

Most Filipinos use Jeepneys, which are cheap, but slow, hot (they are open vehicles), and of course you get to breath all the polution.

Security is a much bigger concern in the Philippines, and security guards are everywhere: apartment buildings, office buildings, malls, banks, government offices, cinemas.

Seems like there are a hundred thousand security guards in Metro Manila.

If you need internet for work or business, you have a big problem.

I use two separate connections that cost me a total of 2,000 thb per month (2,600 peso), and still I have problems on occasion.

If you need to travel within Metro Manila, or would like to travel to another city: again, you are screwed.

Traffic is a nightmare in Metro Manila - less than 10km per hour on average. Sometimes less than 5km per hour.

Going to Subic, 110 km from where I live, took me 6-7 hours using the public transportation network.

I am married to a Filipina and considered living in the Phils but given how horrendous security and infrastructure is, I've passed on that. I need good Web speed and the Phils charges you a lot but the connections SUCK, SUCK, SUCK! And who knows, one day, someone sees me, a foreigner, and decides he wants whatever is in my bag and shoots me for it. Not a good country to raise a family in.

Dont like Philipines personally , but many farang i know do , They go for 1 reason.

Try Vietnam very nice

The Phils is what it is. After many visits there, I've concluded it's not a place to raise a family and such given the crime and lack of protection for foreigners. Lots of desperate Filipinas looking for a sugar daddy, though I would trust a Filipina far more than a Thai.

• 2 weeks later...

Dont like Philipines personally , but many farang i know do , They go for 1 reason.

Try Vietnam very nice

I've looked at the property prices there but it looks pricey. Nothing under $200 a month in HCMC?? I'm comfortable with about $100/month for a room rental. My income is not huge. I'm just a digital nomad, so I need a decent apartment that is priced right but has a good internet connection. For me, Thailand has ticked all the boxes so far. Although, I would choose Cambodia today if only I could find an apartment there for around $60 a month with wifi(still looking).

Edited by zierf1

Anybody lived in Malaysia? I have looked at property prices in Malaysia and it seems quite expensive. Nothing under US$250 a month. I can rent basic room in Thailand for $50 a month and up so for me, Thailand is a no-brainer. I went over to Cambodia, and it's the same thing. High prices for rentals. The only other country with cheap accomodation seems to be the Philippines.

Have a look at the visa rules for Malaysia, particularly if you're thinking of a retirement visa. They ask for a lot IMO.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

https://www.yahoo.com/news/italian-hostage-released-southern-philippines-police-144058526.html News report

Italian hostage released in southern PhilippinesCecil Morella,AFP 13 hours ago
a0becbb06ba8ecf9299515b5138b14603c2d22fb

Manila (AFP) - A retired Italian priest abducted six months ago in the southern Philippines by suspected Islamic militants was released on Friday, police and the Italian government said.

Rolando Del Torchio was picked up at a port on the remote island of Jolo, a stronghold of the Abu Sayyaf group, national police spokesman Wilben Mayor, told AFP.

The Abu Sayyaf is a small group of militants infamous for kidnapping foreigners and demanding huge ransoms.

Its leaders have in recent years pledged allegiance to the Islamic State group that controls vast swathes of Iraq and Syria.

It is believed to be currently holding nearly 20 other foreigners.

Mayor said Del Torchio was in poor health when he was found in the early evening inside a boat at the port on Jolo, a mainly Muslim-populated island about 950 kilometres (590 miles) south of Manila.

"The... team decided to bring the kidnap victim to the Trauma Centre (a local military hospital) where he will be taken care of by a military doctor," Mayor said.

Gunmen snatched Del Torchio, then 56, at gunpoint at his pizza restaurant on the city of Dipolog, about 400 kilometres northeast of Jolo, in October last year.

Del Torchio had worked as a missionary for the international organisation PIME in the south from 1998 before retiring in 2000 to set up his restaurant, colleagues told AFP shortly after he was abducted.

The identities of the kidnappers were never confirmed. But authorities said they suspected he was taken by boat to the Abu Sayyaf.

"No further details as of this time," Mayor replied by text when asked which group had kidnapped Del Torchio and whether a ransom was paid for his release.

The Italian foreign ministry released a statement on Friday confirming Del Torchio's freedom and thanking local authorities for their help.

"Italian national Rolando Del Torchio... was released today and is currently in the custody of the Philippine authorities," the statement said.

"The foreign ministry thanks the Manila authorities for their excellent cooperation and commitment, which permitted the release of the Italian national."

The Abu Sayyaf was established in the early 1990s with seed money from Osama bin Laden's Al Qaeda network.

It was a radical offshoot of a Muslim separatist insurgency in the southern Philippines that has claimed more than 100,000 lives since the 1970s.

Mostly based on Jolo, the group has been blamed for the country's worst terror attacks, including a 2004 Manila Bay ferry bombing that claimed 116 lives.

But kidnappings in the south have been its main signature, using huge ransoms to buy more arms and boats.

- Enduring threat -

A rotating contingent of about 500 US Special Forces troops were deployed in the southern Philippines from 2002 to 2014 to train Filipino troops how to defeat the Abu Sayyaf.

Many of the Abu Sayyaf's leaders were killed or captured during that time, and the group was degraded from roughly 1,000 gunmen to about 300, according to authorities.

But after the US troops were withdrawn, the Abu Sayyaf quickly re-emerged as a kidnapping force.

Two Canadians, a Norwegian and a Filipina were abducted in September last year from yachts in a harbour in the southern Philippines.

The Abu Sayyaf has posted videos of those captives on the Internet, and demanded millions of dollars for their freedom.

The gunmen set a deadline of Friday for the money to be paid or the Canadians and Norwegian would be killed. But the deadline passed with no word on their fates.

The group beheaded a Malaysian tourist last year.

The latest groups of victims were 10 Indonesian and four Malaysian crew members snatched over the past two weeks from a tugboat and a cargo ship near the southern Philippines.

The kidnapping spree followed the reported payment of millions of dollars for the release of a German couple in 2014, which allowed the militants to buy better boats and arms.

The group is also believed to be holding a Dutch bird watcher abducted in 2012.

• 3 weeks later...

For women in SEA, and among the rest of the world even, the Philippines is a clear winner. Its not a great place to live, however in my opinion. There is a very real 'third world shock' even coming from Thailand. Poverty is very real, the infrastructure is not up to par, its far more dangerous, and the food is pretty bad. Internet is bad. I prefer Vietnam, its on par with Thailand for most things, except for the women, shopping, and level of English.

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone have any experience living in Laos? Been all over SE asia but never to Laos. I've encountered several Lao women in Patts who were very fine looking & similar to their Isaan brethren.

This probably could use it's own thread. I have lived and done business in Laos for around ten years. I know there are a few others on this site that have lived there as well. If you make a thread I will answer some questions there.

To walk around bars and not hear a word of Thaiglish....that might be nice.........

Message sent from my friend you.........w00t.gif

To learn the local language..that might be nice...of you!

• Like 2

Try Vietnam very nice

I've looked at the property prices there but it looks pricey. Nothing under $200 a month in HCMC?? I'm comfortable with about $100/month for a room rental. My income is not huge. I'm just a digital nomad, so I need a decent apartment that is priced right but has a good internet connection. For me, Thailand has ticked all the boxes so far. Although, I would choose Cambodia today if only I could find an apartment there for around $60 a month with wifi(still looking).

$200 per month is Pricey?

I assume you are talking USD.

$200 per month is about 10% of rent of where in the US I come from ( San Francisco area)

Where did life go wrong for you?

Maybe a "Digital Nomad" is not such a good job choice for you?

$60 per month would not pay your water bill in the US!

• Like 2

I find it sad , but predictable ,that the priority for so many TV members when looking for a country to live in is the quality, availability and price of play for pay women in SE Asian countries.

Get out of the meat rack bars, and get a women who doesn't need to be paid to tolerate you...get a life!

Are you really so discussing that no woman could really want you?

Work on it...you can probably do better.

• Like 2

I often find it amusing that BMs begrudge the lack of infrastructure in certain SEA countries. And at the same time, in other forums regret the development in Thailand. Phuket, specifically floods during downpours with sewers overflowing for a brackish, fecund soup. And while power is fairly consistent there, transportation infrastructure is nonexistent, the fresh water supply is dubious, and raw sewage often plumes untreated into the sea. Maybe Udon Thani is better, I don't know.