Visa Run to Laos- Driving my Car

Watthanaya

Hello!

Just recently bought a car, but am paying it off (3 years). I need to go to Laos and do a simple overnight visa run. My options are either Vientiane or Savannakhet.

Can I take my car over the border if I am still paying it off? It is in my husband's name (he is a Thai Citizen) and I am a Canadian Citizen.

Thanks in advance, and sorry if this is a repeat question!

Also, if I can't bring my car into Laos (as I am suspecting I can't until it is paid off) what are the options for leaving it in Thailand near the border?

Does anyone know of any reliable spots or hotels that I could leave my car? I would like to spend the night in Laos, but could just go in for the day if need be.

Too many bus accidents…want to drive myself.

Cheers!

Also, if I can't bring my car into Laos (as I am suspecting I can't until it is paid off) what are the options for leaving it in Thailand near the border?

Does anyone know of any reliable spots or hotels that I could leave my car? I would like to spend the night in Laos, but could just go in for the day if need be.

Cheers!

Carry out a search (top right of this forum page) by entering the following query.

Driving to Vientiane for Non-Imm O Single Entry Visas

You should find your answer somewhere in the various posts.

Hope this helps.

Cheers!

Or carry out a search from this link address

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/706647-driving-to-vientiane-for-non-imm-o-single-entry-visas/

Here are a couple of things i found from posts but don't take them all to be 100% correct as with time things do change.

There is secure parking at the bus station where the buses that cross the bridge operate from. It is on the right coming in from Udon Thani at the intersection just before the bridge.

Driving into Laos is easy. You only have to remember to keep right once you're over there. It's up to you if you decide to drive into Laos, or keep your car parked on the Thai side (parking is available near the customs area, just behind the 7-11 for 40 Baht per day). Personally I'd always opt for driving into Laos (except if your car has red dealer plates or otherwise isn't allowed to exit the country), as there are hundreds of Thais who do so daily at a cost of only 200 Baht for the paperwork + insurance costs on the Lao side (once you have the car passport) and it makes it easier to get around despite Vientiane being located only 20km from the border crossing.

The ITP (aka car passport) has to be applied for in the province where the car is registered as far as I know.

Info about embassy consular section here: http://vientiane.tha...consular_check/

You apply in the morning of the first day and pick it up the next afternoon.

It does not matter if you fly out or cross by land as long as you leave on or before the permitted to stay date stamped in your passport it will not be a problem.

Hope this helps.

Edited by nam-thip

Not sure about the car but if you are looking for a place to park it, it would be better to know which border crossing you intend to use.

Sorry, mentioned in my first post that I can go to either Vientiane or Savannakhet.

It sounds like until I officially own the car I can't it take over the border so I would be looking for safe over night parking :)

There is secure "undercover" parking 100 meteres on the left before the crossing in Nong Khai. It was 100 Baht per day last time. I heard there is secure parking at the Savannakhet crossing as well.

• Like 2

There is a secure parking at the bus station on the right side of the road just before the bridge (big intersection). I use it everything I go on my 90 day runs (a total of 7 times). Never had a problem. I can't remember the price though.

• Like 1

If first time. Park your car at Thai border (many parkings, all 100/day). Do the borders, take a taxi or other transport to Vientianne. Take your paper of the car and ask information at border. I am not sure, but I think only the owner of the car can take it in Laos. Means you probably can never drive the car in Laos if your Thai hubby is not coming along.

Dear OP,

Forget the driving into Laos episode, please. So, you are married to a Thai, but he doesn't know the answer?

Drive to Mukdahan ( Thai side of Savannakhet), leave your car right in front of the "friendship bridge". Take the shuttle bus, or a Tuk Tuk and you'll be fine.

And please show your husband how to Google that. Good trip.wai2.gif

P.S. No fee for parking there, left mine there a few times.

Edited by sirchai

If first time. Park your car at Thai border (many parkings, all 100/day). Do the borders, take a taxi or other transport to Vientianne. Take your paper of the car and ask information at border. I am not sure, but I think only the owner of the car can take it in Laos. Means you probably can never drive the car in Laos if your Thai hubby is not coming along.

Please don't post if you don't have a valid point.Also called Spam. HUBBY.

Edited by sirchai

Thank you! My husband has been living in Canada with me for four years…and has only been to Laos once :) So we are both learning...

Dear OP,

Forget the driving into Laos episode, please. So, you are married to a Thai, but he doesn't know the answer?

Drive to Mukdahan ( Thai side of Savannakhet), leave your car right in front of the "friendship bridge". Take the shuttle bus, or a Tuk Tuk and you'll be fine.

There is secure "undercover" parking 100 meteres on the left before the crossing in Nong Khai. It was 100 Baht per day last time. I heard there is secure parking at the Savannakhet crossing as well.

As with the poster that posted a video, there is paid parking at border crossing Mukdahan to Savannakhet, over the Friendship Bridge.

I've left my car there twice, without problem. It's on the left side as you drive toward the border. You can walk from the car park to the immigration building.

A bit further up, between the paid parking and immigration building there is also a car park area, not covered, not paid.

I've left it there once too without problem.

As for crossing the border there: first by a bus ticket, for the bus that takes you, and everybody else, over the bridge to the other side where

the Laos immigration is. Ticket is 50 baht per person. The ticket booth is behind the restrooms. That's before you get to the immigration booths

where you 'stamp out'. Then you walk behind the booths to the waiting area for the bus.

Mind you that the bus is usually full every time, meaning if you don't get in early, you will have to stand. The trip is under 5 minutes.

The bus goes every half hour or even longer than that.

The bus will drive over the bridge and stop at the other side, where you get off at Laos immigration. There you will have to get a visa application form which you will

have to fill in and hand in with your passport and 1 passport size photograph (the form mentions 2 photos but they always give one back).

This is all done at the front booth on left hand side. The Laos visa costs 1500 baht if you don't pay with dollars. Wait to get your passport back.

Once you have your passport with visa, go to the Laos immigration booth to enter Laos. Once you have passed that, you will see Laos people

that will offer taxi or tuk tuk service. It's usually more expensive then in Thailand.

My surprise was (and I was probably ripped off) that each passenger has to pay 120 baht to get a tuk tuk from the border to the Thai consulate,

even if you share a tuk tuk with others. I thought a discount would be reasonable.

But since you are doing only a border run and are not getting a new visa, I guess you will go from the border to a hotel.

Since you are only doing a border run.......why stay overnight?

Anyway, hope this helps.

• Like 1

This is awesome information! Thank you so much! As for staying the night…just thought it might be nice!

As with the poster that posted a video, there is paid parking at border crossing Mukdahan to Savannakhet, over the Friendship Bridge.

I've left my car there twice, without problem. It's on the left side as you drive toward the border. You can walk from the car park to the immigration building.

A bit further up, between the paid parking and immigration building there is also a car park area, not covered, not paid.

As for crossing the border there: first by a bus ticket, for the bus that takes you, and everybody else, over the bridge to the other side where

the Laos immigration is. Ticket is 50 baht per person. The ticket booth is behind the restrooms. That's before you get to the immigration booths

where you 'stamp out'. Then you walk behind the booths to the waiting area for the bus.

Mind you that the bus is usually full every time, meaning if you don't get in early, you will have to stand. The trip is under 5 minutes.

The bus will drive over the bridge and stop at the other side, where you get off at Laos immigration. There you will have to get a visa application form which you will

have to fill in and hand in with your passport and 1 passport size photograph (the form mentions 2 photos but they always give one back).

This is all done at the front booth on left hand side. The Laos visa costs 1500 baht if you don't pay with dollars. Wait to get your passport back.

Once you have your passport with visa, go to the Laos immigration booth to enter Laos. Once you have passed that, you will see Laos people

that will offer taxi or tuk tuk service. It's usually more expensive then in Thailand.

My surprise was (and I was probably ripped off) that each passenger has to pay 120 baht to get a tuk tuk from the border to the Thai consulate,

even if you share a tuk tuk with others. I thought a discount would be reasonable.

But since you are doing only a border run and are not getting a new visa, I guess you will go from the border to a hotel.

Anyway, hope this helps.

Not true - a power of attorney is acceptable. However, increasingly it is becoming difficult to get permission from finance companies to get permission to take a car out of the country - many just won't do it, except maybe if your payment history includes no defaults and you are close to finishing paying off the loan and/or you go on a tour with a tour leader, in which case even brand new vehicles can be taken across the border.

If you can get a bank loan such as a personal or car loan to pay off the car then you can take it across the border no problems. However, virtually all cars in Thailand are financed using hire-purchase, meaning the bank effectively owns the vehicle until such time as the loan has been paid off in full.

• Like 1

This is awesome information! Thank you so much! As for staying the night…just thought it might be nice!

Anyway, hope this helps.

arminbkk is spot on with his information. Have done that trip numerous times. For some unknown reason Canadians need to pay US$42 for a Laos visa at the border (highest country charge) whereas its US$35 for British and US citizens and most Europeans and US$30 for Aussies. Swiss are for free. Guess the Generals have their bank accounts in Switzerland. The standard rate for all nationalities is Baht 1500 if not using $US. With a Canadian passport you may as well use Thai Baht as very little saving using dollars. The safe undercover parking is off to the left just before you enter the main gates. There are ATM's and a bank there. Also has a private transport office where you can book other forms of transport to take you across the bridge rather than lucky dip with the 50 baht regular bus. Having a Thai partner, he can sort all that out. Much better option than the regular bus.

post-32650-0-92110300-1395539725_thumb.jpost-32650-0-22326700-1395539746_thumb.jOops, thought I posted the Google Earths of the secure parking, nada, so will try again.

I just returned from a week in Laos, having left my car at the Nong Khai parking, baht 100 a night. Have been doing so for lots of years and never had a problem, longest stay was about 10-12 days.

Mac

• Like 1

The rate for Canadians in Baht is not 1,500 it is 1,800 (maybe 1,900) so still better for you to pay in USD. Both cities in Laos are worth staying a night or two . As well Nong Khai is nice place to visit (vientiane) for a day or two. Recommend Mut Mee as a good guest house.

Enjoy.

• Like 1

Watthanaya, on 21 Mar 2014 - 14:15, said:Watthanaya, on 21 Mar 2014 - 14:15, said:

Cheers!

Edited by Rorri

• 4 years later...
On 3/22/2014 at 5:13 PM, sirchai said:

Dear OP,

once you enter into the compound, where to head for the free parking? im assuming its pretty secure because they close the gate every night ? 

Edited by at15