Where can I buy: A Cement Mixer and Large Concrete Blocks ?

MikePJones

Hi Good Folks on Thai Visa. Any suggestions where I can buy a good medium sized cement / concrete mixer (either electric or petrol) ? Also large concete blocks i.e. approx 16 inches x 9 inches x 9 inches (or metric equivalent are probably a bit different) 40cm x 30cm x 30cm or somewhere near. I guess "Thermalite" or "Breeze" blocks are'nt available in Thailand? Anyway, I need about 3,000 concrete blocks (For walls and retaining walls). I live in Pai and they only seem to have the very thin blocks here! I'm wondering if anyone has seen them at any of the big building merchants in or around Chiang Mai. I would also need to transport them to Pai. Any info, ideas or suggestions will be most appreciated. Many thanks in advance.

You can buy traditional 4/3 belle mixers at Global, thai watsadu and some of the roadside merchants.

Breeze blocks...not in our interpretation, clinker four inch solids, here they are three inch hollow almost impossible to cut where you want as they fall apart.

They tend to use the channelled bricks here but you can buy their equivalent of durox blocks 600mm long, very lightweight and expensive.

Also they do a concrete block now, I guess its a european import, with a name I forget, and more akin to what you may need. Global stock it and currently have about 50 packs along the road for advertising I think.

Good luck

• Like 1

Thanks again Eye Catcher,

Phoned Global today and they have the Concrete Blocks in Stock.

For anyone else who's interested they are 60cm x 20cm x 20cm with a 75mm wall thickness. Price 21 Bht each (Price at 14th March 2014) which I think is very good for a big thick-walled block.

They also have the Belle Mini Mix (One Bag) Model 150 Cement Mixers for 22,500 but it sounds like you have to buy the motor seperately. Will clarify on this when I go top Global and post.

Global don't do big deliveries so the only thing I need now is heavy transport from Chiang Mai to Pai. Looks like 2,000 blocks will weigh around 40 tons so need a company with a 6 or 8 wheeler truck or more about 16m long. I've done a separate posting re that but any suggestion welcome.

eyecatcher is right, most concrete blocks here are weak, Q-con bricks are also not structural

There is a place north of Mae Joe not too far before the light at the turn to Mae Rim, on the west side of the road that makes concrete blocks, strong, do not break when dropped, have to cut with a power tool, not cheap but consider for the retaining walls. They are wider than the other blocks in Thailand and the size used in Auz and the US for building structures without posts and beams as they make a true load bearing wall. Come in colors too.

• Like 1

Beware of the Global Belle-like cement mixers, none of the ones Iv'e seen have stands blink.png

dunno why but TIT wai2.gif

Are you sure? Stands are separate, maybe they don't want someone walking off with them.

Without a stand I doubt they would be high enough to tip into a barrow.

Also some makes actually use the handle wheel set up to tip backward to act as a stand .

Don't always believe what you see.

• Like 1

I don't know about the stands eyecatcher, Iv'e tried to find out at my local global in Chaiyaphum but my Thai isn't up to cement mixer stands & nobody speaks a word of English there so no sense to be had, just that Rabbit in the headlights look & agreeing with whatever you say. TIT

• Like 1

eyecatcher is right, most concrete blocks here are weak, Q-con bricks are also not structural

There is a place north of Mae Joe not too far before the light at the turn to Mae Rim, on the west side of the road that makes concrete blocks, strong, do not break when dropped, have to cut with a power tool, not cheap but consider for the retaining walls. They are wider than the other blocks in Thailand and the size used in Auz and the US for building structures without posts and beams as they make a true load bearing wall. Come in colors too.

Agree... just north of Mae Jo for building materials. Good selection at good prices.

• Like 1