Phuket kidnappers 'were Russian loan sharks'

webfact

'Gen Vitsanu said that the case is becoming clearer now and the police are convinced that the kidnapping was genuine. The question is whether Mr Slabinskiy was involved in the plan or not.

If he was involved, then the beating was presumably staged and he is now hiding somewhere in Phuket. If he was not, then investigators agree with Ms Strizheus, that he is most likely already dead.'

​After all the girlfriend said, the BIB still won't let go of this idea. From what she says the guy was assaulted viciously and repeatedly, yet they still say he could have set it up.

Jesus

They're just going by their own 'template' of their own irrationality as to what they would do if it were one of them. C'mon. None of them would lose the Darwin Award laugh.png

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Remind me to stay well away from that 'resort and spa' over at Kamala..passed it numerous times when I stayed down in Phuket going to the outdoor market a very quiet area(so I thought)and now the Russian loan sharks have moved in there..Cripes!!!

The daily limit you can withdraw is set by your bank... The only limit set by the ATM is "per transaction"

So if they had a Limit with their home bank for 10,000... Then could do 15 transactions at the same ATM for 20k THB each

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My wife makes multiple withdrawals as well 20,000 at a time. It may that 20 notes is the maximum that will coe out of the slot. just a thought.

I don't know why they say Russians if one of them is Ukrainian. It's not Russia, well not yet.

Hilarious that some posters are so eager to discredit any article that they're taking their own Thai debet card limits (without actually making inquiries as to whether or not it can be changed) as evidence that the facts in the article are incorrect.

The withdrawal limit per transaction is 10k and 20k (and, judging from some posts in this thread, even 30k), depending on the bank. However, I have personally experienced that the limit per day is 50k (default), but it can be extended to at least 500k. I've done it in the past, when we were building a house. You can also reduce it when you want to go back to a lower limit.

The banks in my home country does the same thing, though the default limits are a lot higher. It's a safety mechanism; if you are threatened (as in this case) to make withdrawals against your will, or lose your credit/debet card to criminals and don't discover it right away, at least your losses will be limited.

Must be some good 'con' men out there...

Good enough to make the boyfriend believe that borrowing i million bahts, from Shylocks, would yield enough profits to repay the loan with the huge interests...

But in the end not enough profits to meet the repayment promise...

And the boyfriend cannot con his gf out of her 300,000 bahts...

What ''business'' venture might that have been for the boyfriend.Alexei???

sounds exactly the same as Thai village loan sharks preying on,the even poorer and more vulnerable

Marcusd. Via tapatalk

I agree with laurentbkk about not being fair to generalized all Russians as bad and not to put them all in the same basket. I knew a few upstanding Russians in Thailand and some of them are good friends, too.

But on the other hand, Russians on extended Visa at any resort are, at most times, not tourists at all. I was in Na Thrang, Vietnam recently and the place is now close to be a Russian town. What most of them do there? Drugs peddling to other tourist. That's what they do!

No, banning them will not not work but maybe the police can imposed something like what the Vietnamese police does. If they are on a visa extension it has to be on invitation by a local person or local owed company and they have to report themselves within 4 hours of being there to the district police, show proof of their financial capability to stay there on the extended visa and also proof of where they are staying.

Yeah, there are still loopholes but at the very least, it curtails the problems.

Actually I'v logged because this comment.

My parents returned from Vietnam recently and they were at Na Thrang, they only saw some Vietnam old families in their hotel, and no russians except some tourists, also I cant believe that russians which are living abroad legally, are addicts, it's very strange, probably you mean some rare illegal criminals who escaped from their mother country

100 different atm stories. Pathetic.

At SCB, my bank..I can walk in any time and request a set amount to be withdrawn. Also, Kasikorn. One phone call and they up the limit up to 500k. Can it be done all at one time? No idea. But you can stand there for 30 minutes and in and out goes the card for however many k you need taken out.

100 different atm stories. Pathetic.

At SCB, my bank..I can walk in any time and request a set amount to be withdrawn. Also, Kasikorn. One phone call and they up the limit up to 500k. Can it be done all at one time? No idea. But you can stand there for 30 minutes and in and out goes the card for however many k you need taken out.

OK this is a week old thread now but just for the record.

Kasikorn's ATM limit is 1M/day (to be precise it is 999,999) but this limit is for all types of ATM transactions in one day. The actual cash withdrawal limit is 200,000/day no matter which bank's ATM or how many ATM machines you visit.

Whether you can withdraw 20K, 25K or 30K per transaction is determined by the mechanical capability of each particular model of ATM machine i.e. how many notes it can physically count and dispense.

The default limits are much lower but can be increased by a phone call to their contact centre during which they will ask you some personal information that only you are likely to know.

The 1M/day ATM limit with KBank has been in place for years. However the internet banking daily maximum limit which was previously 500K/day is now 1M/day. That also requires a call to increase.

So therefore if you had an account balance of 1M it would be possible to withdraw it all in one day if you had access to another 4 ATM cards to which you could transfer 200K each. The people queuing behind you might start complaining by the 49th transaction though.