BANGKOK
Sign in to follow this  
MonkeyLoo

Nong Khai as a place to settle. Good Idea ?

Hi All

I've recently moved to Nong Khai with my wife. We chose here as it has a good feeling about it and we felt it is not too busy and also not too quiet. As well as not being too close but not too far from her family ;-))

I was just looking for some feedback from anyone who is doing or has done the same and any suggestions on business opportunities here.

Thanks

ML

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

Thai family close by.

Eager to get a business going.

I'm sure you'll settle in just fine. :)

• Like 1

Can you expand on that David?

Family a 3 hour drive away by the way

Not to worry. Online banking can transfer money for loans instantly.

I don't do loans.

Anything constructive to add?

Only been there once but seemed like a nice place. I wish my wife would be willing to move there.

• Like 1

Business opportunity suggestion: You (or your wife, specifically) could organize a charter van service between Nong Khai and Mukdahan for those returning from the Thai Embassy-Vientiane after having been rejected for one visa or another and must travel post haste to the more friendly confines of the Thai Consulate in Savannakhet.

• Like 1

Nong Khai was once ranked 7th in the world as a retirement place. (not sure who did the ranking) Any hotel in the place, probably bars too, will have the relevant articles posted up on the wall somewhere.

Not to worry. Online banking can transfer money for loans instantly.

Not a believer in thai family......................lol. Op didnt indicate they were leehes!

Business in Nong Khai-forgetaboutit!

Probably you would get more constructive answers in the Isaan subforum.

I know Nong Khai only from occasional visits and my only visa run.

Edited by KhunBENQ

Nong Khai? nice place for a visit and a stroll. Anyone renewing a visa has passed through, at least once. It is on of the better border runs in Thailand. Pretty safe, and convenient to both Udon And Vientiane Airports. I prefer Udon, because I can just shoot up there in 40 minutes if I want. If I were to do a tourism related business, it would be in Nong Khai. I would not have any idea what you would be up to with that.......plenty of hotels and guest houses already. Perhaps good rooms and food with a small pub and farang food.... A friendly place for expats and tourists to hang out .....comfortable seating outdoors.....immaculate rooms, friendly staff....everyone knows what is desired, but few ever achieve the holy grail of ambiance and good service.

• Like 1

Business in Nong Khai-forgetaboutit!

I lived in NK about 8 years ago - there are always plenty of business opportunities if you are optimistic (and realistic).

- Open a guesthouse that offers visa-run services, minibus etc direct from NK bus and railway station to the Thai embassy in Vientiane. Offer an all-in package price if visa-runners stay one night at your guesthouse. Offer a cheap meal for visa-runners on their return from the emabssy, (cheap liunch results in guests buying beer and souvenirs from your GH). Offer travel services rerlated to the Mekong (ferry tickets, Bang Fai holiday, Naga Fireballs etc).

Good luck

Simon

Business opportunities that MAKE money are few and far between. Is the best idea you got a run of the mill Guesthouse?

Some constructive replies thanks for those.

I'm not looking to get rich here just get by. I'm not the sort to just sit around doing nothing.

I think the guest house with visa run service is a good one if I can get the location.

My wife is a great cook and could take care of that side of things easy.

• Like 1