Nong Khai as a place to settle. Good Idea ?

MonkeyLoo

Hi All

I've recently moved to Nong Khai with my wife. We chose here as it has a good feeling about it and we felt it is not too busy and also not too quiet. As well as not being too close but not too far from her family ;-))

I was just looking for some feedback from anyone who is doing or has done the same and any suggestions on business opportunities here.

Thanks

ML

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

Business opportunity suggestion: You (or your wife, specifically) could organize a charter van service between Nong Khai and Mukdahan for those returning from the Thai Embassy-Vientiane after having been rejected for one visa or another and must travel post haste to the more friendly confines of the Thai Consulate in Savannakhet.

• Like 1

Family a 3 hour drive away by the way

Not to worry. Online banking can transfer money for loans instantly.

Not a believer in thai family......................lol. Op didnt indicate they were leehes!

Business in Nong Khai-forgetaboutit!

Nong Khai? nice place for a visit and a stroll. Anyone renewing a visa has passed through, at least once. It is on of the better border runs in Thailand. Pretty safe, and convenient to both Udon And Vientiane Airports. I prefer Udon, because I can just shoot up there in 40 minutes if I want. If I were to do a tourism related business, it would be in Nong Khai. I would not have any idea what you would be up to with that.......plenty of hotels and guest houses already. Perhaps good rooms and food with a small pub and farang food.... A friendly place for expats and tourists to hang out .....comfortable seating outdoors.....immaculate rooms, friendly staff....everyone knows what is desired, but few ever achieve the holy grail of ambiance and good service.

• Like 1

I lived in NK about 8 years ago - there are always plenty of business opportunities if you are optimistic (and realistic).

- Open a guesthouse that offers visa-run services, minibus etc direct from NK bus and railway station to the Thai embassy in Vientiane. Offer an all-in package price if visa-runners stay one night at your guesthouse. Offer a cheap meal for visa-runners on their return from the emabssy, (cheap liunch results in guests buying beer and souvenirs from your GH). Offer travel services rerlated to the Mekong (ferry tickets, Bang Fai holiday, Naga Fireballs etc).

Good luck

Simon

Business opportunities that MAKE money are few and far between. Is the best idea you got a run of the mill Guesthouse?

Some constructive replies thanks for those.

I'm not looking to get rich here just get by. I'm not the sort to just sit around doing nothing.

I think the guest house with visa run service is a good one if I can get the location.

My wife is a great cook and could take care of that side of things easy.

• Like 1

I miss The Meeting Place in Nong Khai. It was run by a shady Aussie named Allan (since diseased) and had good farang food back when it was not easy to come by in Thailand. Back then, very few foreigners could get long term visas, so we all passed through Nong Khai every few months on the way to Laos for a new tourist visa and he would show us the seedy side of the town. Those were the days.

I never met Alan (deceased, please, UG, not diseased!) but had some dealings with him when he was able to secure visas via a source in the south. He didn't charge much either.

I haven't been there for some years, but remember it as an unusually clean little town.... and the Mekong is always a bonus. Some good restaurants, too.

• Like 1

Yes, sorry about the spelling error. wai.gif

The first time I met Alan he was stuck in Vientiane - in about 1991. He had used a fake entry stamp for some reason and the Thai Embassy caught it when he went to get a new visa and refused to give him another. He had been been there for months waiting for it and was not sure that he would ever be able to get back into LOS. He eventually worked it out ($$$) and shortly afterwards opened the Meeting Place and started his empire.

Edited by Ulysses G.

I was thinking of Nong Khai for retirement with a small business. Recently went there again to look at some land we have in the city but my wife could'nt find it .

I like the place close to Lao and seems to have reasonable eating holes and restaurants and markets and not too busy.

The only thing is it's a long way from Bangkok and it seems to get a bit cold for a couple of months of the year.

Is the best idea you got a run of the mill Guesthouse?

Er.. yes. Some GHs make money you know...

Simon

Owner/builder of:

Phuket Airport Hotel

Phuket Airport Overnight Hotel

Phuket FLY Guesthouse

Phuket 24/7 Hotel

Phuket Airport B&B

Ao Nang VIP Hotel

Phuket Airport VIP Guesthouse

Just saying.... smile.png

seriously sir. does op sound capable? for buddhas sake, his idea of business is his wife cooks edible meals.

2nd serious-ness....lol.. why do so many say they want to make enough bahts just to get by. Can you forcast profit to 8000 baht a month. Seems a good way to guaranttee lose your investment.

just going by income metric one would need to at least clear a teechers salary-one would think.

Hell- a million usa dollars would get you @ 2% interest . withdraw that and $10,000 of principal would last you forever and a legacy to boot.

ps it aint that hard to accumulate 1m$ in usa if you understood basic finance and started saving n investing right out of skool!

I was thinking of Nong Khai for retirement with a small business. Recently went there again to look at some land we have in the city but my wife could'nt find it .

I like the place close to Lao and seems to have reasonable eating holes and restaurants and markets and not too busy.

The only thing is it's a long way from Bangkok and it seems to get a bit cold for a couple of months of the year.

so when its cold you go to warm er weather and when you return your business will pick up right where it left off.....................lol.

such utter businessminded people here!

As susie ORMAN would say-DENIED~

Does it? I have been there many times and it has always been warm. Is it like Chiang Mai (Warm in the daytime. Cool in the evening and morning) for a month or two?

I lived in NK about 8 years ago - there are always plenty of business opportunities if you are optimistic (and realistic).

- Open a guesthouse that offers visa-run services, minibus etc direct from NK bus and railway station to the Thai embassy in Vientiane. Offer an all-in package price if visa-runners stay one night at your guesthouse. Offer a cheap meal for visa-runners on their return from the emabssy, (cheap liunch results in guests buying beer and souvenirs from your GH). Offer travel services rerlated to the Mekong (ferry tickets, Bang Fai holiday, Naga Fireballs etc).

Good luck

Simon

Business opportunities that MAKE money are few and far between. Is the best idea you got a run of the mill Guesthouse?

Farang coming in and competing against locals Thais.

What could go wrong?

Simon

Owner/builder of:

Phuket Airport Hotel

Phuket FLY Guesthouse

Phuket 24/7 Hotel

Phuket Airport B&B

Ao Nang VIP Hotel

seriously sir. does op sound capable? for buddhas sake, his idea of business is his wife cooks edible meals.

2nd serious-ness....lol.. why do so many say they want to make enough bahts just to get by. Can you forcast profit to 8000 baht a month. Seems a good way to guaranttee lose your investment.

just going by income metric one would need to at least clear a teechers salary-one would think.

Hell- a million usa dollars would get you @ 2% interest . withdraw that and $10,000 of principal would last you forever and a legacy to boot.

ps it aint that hard to accumulate 1m$ in usa if you understood basic finance and started saving n investing right out of skool!

Choochoo

You make many assumptions.

Perhaps like other considering the same have already made money in the western world and just want a semi retirement without getting rich but more as a pastime and social activity.

If it pays the way all well and good.

A guest house would be an ideal semi retirement. And yes my wife cooks fantastic food and really enjoys cooking. So what is the issue in using those skills in a guest house. I would say quality catering is an important factor.

Cheers for your input

ok. so give us some numbers for us to analyze.

We really cant do anything but make assumptions by what little you give us. EX. whats your net worth. If you want to keep the wife busy go find her a job cooking.

Socizlizing is a poor excuse to run a business..................lol.

Edited by choochoo

Simon

Owner/builder of:

Phuket Airport Hotel

Phuket FLY Guesthouse

Phuket 24/7 Hotel

Phuket Airport B&B

Ao Nang VIP Hotel

Impressive CV, you've done well, to all you naysayers who say it can't be done, look to Simon.