BANGKOK
Sign in to follow this  
MonkeyLoo

Nong Khai as a place to settle. Good Idea ?

I miss The Meeting Place in Nong Khai. It was run by a shady Aussie named Allan (since diseased) and had good farang food back when it was not easy to come by in Thailand. Back then, very few foreigners could get long term visas, so we all passed through Nong Khai every few months on the way to Laos for a new tourist visa and he would show us the seedy side of the town. Those were the days.

Oh boy, the memories are flooding back. Lovely guy, lovely location in a quiet side street. No email, no mobile phones, pin a message to the board. Travelling around in those days was just so more relaxing. People you met were interesting as it took time and effort to get to places, Thailand itself was a lot more laid back. I'm in CM at New Year (hopefully) we must meet up and toast Alan !

OP, times have changed but I still like Nong Khai and can see why you do. Good luck in your quest.

Now we getting somewhere. You dont want to put up a lot. You just want a plaything then. Go do it. Im sure lots of people would sell you a gh thats going nowhere(financially) to you in a second.

Seriously i cant remember the last time i chose a place to stay because of a personable owner................lol. You want to socialize buy a BEER BAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ps i was under impression you were looking at prime land so that indicated you were thinking serious money.....SORRY!

Edited by choochoo

I miss The Meeting Place in Nong Khai. It was run by a shady Aussie named Allan (since diseased) and had good farang food back when it was not easy to come by in Thailand. Back then, very few foreigners could get long term visas, so we all passed through Nong Khai every few months on the way to Laos for a new tourist visa and he would show us the seedy side of the town. Those were the days.

Oh boy, the memories are flooding back. Lovely guy, lovely location in a quiet side street. No email, no mobile phones, pin a message to the board. Travelling around in those days was just so more relaxing. People you met were interesting as it took time and effort to get to places, Thailand itself was a lot more laid back. I'm in CM at New Year (hopefully) we must meet up and toast Alan !

OP, times have changed but I still like Nong Khai and can see why you do. Good luck in your quest.

PS. Ignore the idiots, what they know they could write on the back of a postage stamp, and what they don't know could fill a book.

I must drop by the Meeting Place and take a look. Been past it many times.

Hopefully I will find the right location soon.

Nong Khai has a lot going for it from what I can see. We will enjoy here.

Thanks again for the positive input.

Choochoo........Get some help man.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Whatever you decide to do Monkeyloo, I wish you all the best.

Also, I don't know how it will affect Nong Khai but does anyone know when the rail link from China to Singapore will be complete?

The small (98 Sq meter) land I saw on the river and quite central was priced at 7 million baht.

Over priced for sure but it could be a sign.

• Like 1

I couldn't do a beer bar. I would drink myself to death.

Also, I don't know how it will affect Nong Khai but does anyone know when the rail link from China to Singapore will be complete?

The small (98 Sq meter) land I saw on the river and quite central was priced at 7 million baht.

WHEN???

You do mean "if" don't you?

Decades mate, decades. If ever. . .

WHEN???

You do mean "if" don't you?

Decades mate, decades. If ever. . .

Alright then.........

The rail link is a very big "if". All I can say is that re-visiting NK a couple of years after the bridge had opened it had appeared to hit the tourist trade quite a bit, it had become a transit point rather than a destination in itself. The town itself had grown considerably but it seemed that most of the tourist trade was passing straight through to Laos then.How much trade there is now for a GH is something that only boots on the ground can judge.

The word 'hub' seems to be doing the rounds lately! Nong Khai, in my opinion it is just a hub for going to Laos, I love going to Nong Khai and having a meal on the mekong, but that's about it. Udon Thani, they're trying to make that a hub for tourists?? No chance! Maybe a transit hub but that's about it in my opinion. While not trying not to slag it off too much, there's just nothing there to warrant it being a tourist destination. The place has got more popular with farang because it's a cheap part of the country where they can reside with the wives etc.

I've been going to nong khai for 6 years at least twice a year,although a bit quiet at times there is still plenty to do,join either of 2 golf society's enjoy riverside bar/restaurants e.g Brendan's,apples or the Vietnam one also some good bars on the soi beside nong khai hotel happy bar is always good for a beer and a chat with terry and the boys,and there's always a party or two to be found.anyway you will enjoy

• Like 1

So you wanna own a guesthouse. With a background in marketing op needs to get a job in a hotel and learn all he can. From cleaning vomit off carpets to more fun stuff..................lol.

I have lived in Nong Khai full time for four years and before then I taught in a "School" for one semester a year for ten years. Times have changed in that time, but I still see many business fail up here. Both locals and Farangs. The one thing I miss is good (I mean very good) western food (There are many places to get German food but I have other tastes). I would love a place that had French and/or Italian food, I have also not found a place to get a good steak but I really don't expect than in Isan.

Many new Guest Houses have opened recently, Several Farang Bars have closed lately.

By the way you can shop around at the banks for a rate better than 2%. I have a special savings account that pays 2.75% and several other accounts form 3.25 all the way up to 4.2%. Needless to say when I have money I want to keep in the bank (like the 800,000 visa money) I shop around. A little bit different, but being different to get a higher rate is no problem for me.

• Like 1