Nong Khai as a place to settle. Good Idea ?

MonkeyLoo

I looked at some land overlooking the river and fairly central. Ideal for a guest house but they were asking 7 million baht for less than 1 rai !!

Ideally I would like to just lease one if the right one comes up.

I've not read the Lonely Planet book for years. I remember it being popular with backpackers etc. I just use the Internet now and sites like TripAdvisor. I can do the Internet marketing side myself, that's been a part of my job for many years. And sure, the Lonely Planet is huge.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

LP is a dying business with the internet these days. I would think advertising on TV would probably be a worthwhile thing to try. Along with all the other usual websites of course.

I miss The Meeting Place in Nongp Khai. It was run by a shady Aussie named Allan (since diseased) and had good farang food back when it was not easy to come by in Thailand. Back then, very few foreigners could get long term visas, so we all passed through Nong Khai every few months on the way to Laos for a new tourist visa and he would show us the seedy side of the town. Those were the days.

Alan was a character, indeed. H is partner (Connie?), was an outstanding cook. Alan made a lot of money there. I got my Laos visa from him to get my "O" vias .. that was in 1996.

Did he give you one of those packs of stapled up documents with the cash for the Lao contact inside? smile.png

I actually like Nong Khai. Couple of really nice little towns on the road along the river to NKP as well. I heard there are lots of rubber plantations southeast of Nong Khai.

I looked at some land overlooking the river and fairly central. Ideal for a guest house but they were asking 7 million baht for less than 1 rai !!

I've not read the Lonely Planet book for years. I remember it being popular with backpackers etc. I just use the Internet now and sites like TripAdvisor. I can do the Internet marketing side myself, that's been a part of my job for many years. And sure, the Lonely Planet is huge.

LP is a dying business with the internet these days. I would think advertising on TV would probably be a worthwhile thing to try. Along with all the other usual websites of course.

Advertising on TV...OMG thanks for that, have not had a laugh in a while. Who the heck watches TV these days. I doubt most people under 30 even have a TV.

I've considered Nong Khai as a place to live. Visited many times on visa-runs, and sometimes stay there a few days. I like the city, and the location is good - next to the border if you need it, only a short drive to Udon for big city amenities, and Udon includes an airport that can get you to BKK in short order as needed. I'm sure those that live there will have more info, but if I were moving, Nong Khai would be on my short-list of places to consider.

In places like Nong Khai or Udon for that matter I would NOT target westerners. There are to many businesses aimed at the limited ex-pat, traveller or visa run market and with all respect to ex-pats in those towns, they rarely want or are able to spend much money.

I would open a lounge style bar and restaurant aimed at middle class local Thai's as my primary target/market. A higher end alternative to hotel restaurants. This will give a year round customer base and the visiting or travelling Thais and Laotians will be drawn in by the locals and your reputation.

I would serve limited Isaan food with the onus on Southern and maybe Malay styles of cooking with a smattering of European dishes. Something different. As an example look at the Vietnamese food place on the riverside by the big market (sorry I have forgotten the names). Mobbed day in and day out.

A river location or even view would be nice but not essential as I am after locals which opens more locations to look at. Near the golf course(s) for example.

This may sound a bit more than the OP was originally asking for but as it is a Thai orientated business his input will not need to be as great or as long if it were a western place but an awful lot will depend on his wife and her skill set.

• Like 1

In places like Nong Khai or Udon for that matter I would NOT target westerners. There are to many businesses aimed at the limited ex-pat, traveller or visa run market and with all respect to ex-pats in those towns, they rarely want or are able to spend much money.

I would open a lounge style bar and restaurant aimed at middle class local Thai's as my primary target/market. A higher end alternative to hotel restaurants. This will give a year round customer base and the visiting or travelling Thais and Laotians will be drawn in by the locals and your reputation.

I would serve limited Isaan food with the onus on Southern and maybe Malay styles of cooking with a smattering of European dishes. Something different. As an example look at the Vietnamese food place on the riverside by the big market (sorry I have forgotten the names). Mobbed day in and day out.

A river location or even view would be nice but not essential as I am after locals which opens more locations to look at. Near the golf course(s) for example.

This may sound a bit more than the OP was originally asking for but as it is a Thai orientated business his input will not need to be as great or as long if it were a western place but an awful lot will depend on his wife and her skill set.

This or renew a $250,000 contract. I dont know why but op seems to think running a successful business is a walk in the park.

PSi dont think op wants to run a restaurant.

Advertising on TV...OMG thanks for that, have not had a laugh in a while. Who the heck watches TV these days. I doubt most people under 30 even have a TV.

I think he meant Thai Visa (TV)

It's mostly done via the Web these days.

I have been looking at restaurant ideas also. Rim Kong road next to the river is busy with diners every evening. Mainly Thais.

A large Chinese community here too.

The Vietnamese place does really well, it's become a kind of tradition for people to visit there when in town and they seem to do a huge amount of take away and delivery orders.

There is a restaurant downtown with Two D's in the name next to a restaurant with Two T's, The one with 2D's is Fantastic and mandatory for every visitor to Nong Khai they really cook with a Hot Wok, Big Chinese influence.

Edited by Dannyboy6

Well, Nong Khai is located at?

Yes the Mekong!

And the Mekong is known for what?

Yes, it's variety of fish which are partly cpouted as worlds largest (giant stingray, giant Mekong catfish)!

So, may be you like to go fishing from time to time...

Buy a suitable boat, hire a local fisherman to drive you around and learn to fish some places.

Then you could expand this to a business.

Your wife manages everything, has the equipment for lease if needed, a local guy drives the boat and you just enjoy the fun because you don't have a work permit. Nobody needs a permit to give a befriended fisherman some valueable tips ;-)

Bye,

Derk

• 8 months later...

I have been looking at restaurant ideas also. Rim Kong road next to the river is busy with diners every evening. Mainly Thais.

The Vietnamese place does really well, it's become a kind of tradition for people to visit there when in town and they seem to do a huge amount of take away and delivery orders.

Extending this thread as it was the most relevant in my google search.

Been on a tour of the North and East the past few weeks. Today law died in Nong Khai. Enjoyed the afternoon cycling around and then got a room, shower and got out after sunset to enjoy the river and get some food.

Wow. Only a handful of places were even open, and only the Vietnamese place had anyone in it.

We walked around and saw there were no other people around, I mean the streets are empty. So back to the Vietnamese place but they closed.

Anyway found some food then took a walk, about 2130, and we were the only people on the river walk, not an exaggeration.

Now 22:30, on the balcony of our river front room, only 500thb and a good deal to be sure, and there is not a sign of life. Not a person, not a sound, except one dog, and some motorbikes echoing from the Loas side.

I was here this time about ten years ago and recall much more life.

What has happened?

Any suggestions on other decent stops this week in issan? Just came from Chiang Khan sand wondering where to point ourselves next.

Cheers

Extending this thread as it was the most relevant in my google search.

Been on a tour of the North and East the past few weeks. Today law died in Nong Khai. Enjoyed the afternoon cycling around and then got a room, shower and got out after sunset to enjoy the river and get some food.

Wow. Only a handful of places were even open, and only the Vietnamese place had anyone in it.

We walked around and saw there were no other people around, I mean the streets are empty. So back to the Vietnamese place but they closed.

Anyway found some food then took a walk, about 2130, and we were the only people on the river walk, not an exaggeration.

Now 22:30, on the balcony of our river front room, only 500thb and a good deal to be sure, and there is not a sign of life. Not a person, not a sound, except one dog, and some motorbikes echoing from the Loas side.

I was here this time about ten years ago and recall much more life.

What has happened?

Any suggestions on other decent stops this week in issan? Just came from Chiang Khan sand wondering where to point ourselves next.

Cheers

An update of my last post. In the AM town is as snoozy as the evening. This place has it's own low key vibe, not sure where everyone is because it's a big town, everyone works outside if it I assume.

Anyway the Nook Coffee, on soon sukpracha great to kick back for a cafe. No river view, just a chance to see town life.

V. Quiet when I stayed there in August, but pleasantly so. Can you share the name of your 500 baht riverfront room with balcony? Thanks.

Yes sure, sorry for the delay, still in holiday mode so did not get here til now.

It's the Pan guesthouse, google that in NK and you will find it. Great tiny spot and if you book one of the few riverfront rooms you have a lovely balcony to enjoy the Mekong and life below. Only two stories but unubstructed view and as I say no street noise for our stay, no one out on the walk late.

We have had a house here for 26 years, its 25k from Nong khai near Phen, so I am in and out several times a week

I don't know who said that Nong Khai was the place to retire to but it's NOT where I would retire to.

Bars are very poor restaurants poor (except Beer Belly Bills)on Rim Kong Rd near the far end, the owner lived in UK for years and she is an excellent cook.

That's the only reason for me to go in.

After a month or so I can't wait to go back to our home in Pattaya.

If it wasn't for family I couldn't see my self ever wanting to come back.

Edd

Not clear to me what the OP wants? Or what he has? Or what he is prepared for?

I would not go to Nong Khai. Mainly too far from an airport, mediocre food and amenities, expensive land. I would have no desire to drive to Udon regularly.

OP: What skills/knowledge/abilities do you have? Ways to exploit those in LOS; but that's not retirement.

Your wife may be a good cook but can she run a business? And cook of what? I hope she is a government employee.

I would agree with those who say ::Forget farangs" It is the Thais who have the money (or can pledge their inheritance to get loans from the bank) What is the point of another dreary GH or "farang" restaurant? Ukrainian Food?

Get your wife to open a "superb" noodle stall or whatever..She will make money. The question remains: What on earth are you going to do in Nong Khai 24/7?