Official stamp by MOE on Thongsook BA TESOL Degree

"Commission on Higher Education take note of approval of this course as of 23 December 2556"

If you print out that cover, officially stamped as it is, and show it to the MOE or CHE, they can confirm its been officially approved and its completely legit.

post-156626-0-83193300-1403879989_thumb.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

"Commission on Higher Education take note of approval of this course as of 23 December 2556"

If you print out that cover, officially stamped as it is, and show it to the MOE or CHE, they can confirm its been officially approved and its completely legit.

Good to see you finally got the degree course signed off.

May I advise using your links to try and find a source for what is required to get a teaching license as the 4 tests seem to have been scrapped. It would be a shame for your students to work so hard and then have no recourse to get a license.

Sent from my XT1032 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Degrees are actually approved by the university board of directors, so our degree was approved well before we began the classes. However it is required to submit the curriculum to the MOE for a final stamp, which we did and was stamped in late 2013.

We specifically chose not to create this as a B. Ed. because this would cause the program to be extended to 5 years (most of our students will complete this degree in 3). We should have an affordable M. Ed available for our graduates by the time they do finish. We felt this would be approximately the same price but far more useful.

Edited by brucetefl

Well done. Hope it's going well for you and your students. You could turn out to be the TEFLR saviour!

• Like 1

No. Not graduate school. You need a degree from a recognized university. High school and a TOEFL score is not going to do it at all. you will be rejected IMMEDIATELY and told to get a degree.

If you want to be a troll at least be a good one. That was pretty sad.

coffee1.gif

And ANY degree from a university in Thailand that is recognized by the MOE can lead to graduate study in the US or UK. Nothing special there.

So can a High School education and suitable TOEFL score

Edited by brucetefl

Apparently it says:

I am open to sincere and polite discussion on the matter.

Can you explain the readers of this forum what the stamp actually says?

Until someone completes this course, then applies and gets a teaching licence for their hard work / money, it'll be treated as any other TEFL, TESOL, course here.

It appears that several posters are implying or stating that this degree would be enough to get one into graduate school in the West. No way, Josue. Usually the number one requirement for admission to grad school is an undergraduate degree from an accredited college or university.....and they don't mean accredited by the Thai MOE. Would they even let you into Chiang Mai University with it? It does seem to offer a band-aid solution to those, who need some sort of degree to teach in Thailand.......but with so many advocating teaching illegally; what's the point? Also, it appears that a big selling point is that they will get you an ED visa, (so will Walen), and you can work while going to school. Working on an ED Visa? For three years? When is Santa Claus coming this year?

Edited by Thighlander

I love it when people post libelous information on the Internet. Shall we have the attorneys work for the owners of Thongsook College contact you directly, Thailander?

this has been an accredited university since 1995 which is listed on the Ministry of Education website. It's also included in the UNESCO list of approved international universities. But thank you for exposing your blatant lack of knowledge and also breaking the law. The internet is a wonderful thing.

Edited by brucetefl
  • Like 2

Can i ask about this future M.ed? Is it coming? You got plans on it? When we talking here and how much? If you wouldnt mind getting on the case and offering such a thing (at nice thai price instead of uk price), id be peachy keen on taking a year out for a full time course on it in a couple of years. Having got my korean driving license (completely transferable in the UK), on the cheap, im genuinely keen to add degree tourism to my thrifty scottish ways.

Edited by inutil

I think Bruce has already proved that his degree is recognized and accepted by the Thai MOE. There's no reason to think that it wouldn't be recognized by universities in and outside of Thailand for post grad study.

Edited by Loaded

people with degrees from recognized Thai university studies for graduate degrees all the time in the US and the UK. Any claims otherwise are absolutely ridiculous. And your constant personal attacks on me are also libellus.

Edited by brucetefl

Our planned MEd may eventually c become a partnership with another university.

right now we hope to have two options. One would be agreed only from a cow University. And the price would be quite affordable. Maybe only about 50,000. the second option would be a partnership with a US university. The student would get either two separate master's degrees or a degree that was jointly issued. Obviously, this would be far more expensive but we still hope to have the price at less than 170,000.surprisingly, the delay is with the thai University.

Edited by brucetefl

US accreditation of course goes further with prospective employers so more interested with that. Thai one is no problems, but kidna dont really wanna work in Thailand. Wanna work in Japan, Korea etc and for them, youre not really looking to tick immigration boxes, but actually show youre a cut above the riff raff smile.png Just did the maths. Puts it around 3000 quid. I guess its the cost of living where the savings really pick up. For a frugal life, you could do it on around 7-8000UK? If it also revolved around the counter-intuitive pick up of course demands during public school holidays rather than during the normal school year, then work could also help eat some of those costs. rightyo, definitely on board for more info in the future. Engage! Make it so! You have the bridge Mr Tefl. etc etc.

Edited by inutil

Thats just non sensical. A TEFL course is a four-week course that is not even required by Thai law to work in Thailand.

A degree is required.

Its that simple.

A degree isn't required to work in Thailand.

It is required to be employed as a teacher in schools that fall under the OBEC umbrella.

• Like 1

It appears that several posters are implying or stating that this degree would be enough to get one into graduate school in the West. No way, Josue. Usually the number one requirement for admission to grad school is an undergraduate degree from an accredited college or university.....and they don't mean accredited by the Thai MOE. Would they even let you into Chiang Mai University with it? It does seem to offer a band-aid solution to those, who need some sort of degree to teach in Thailand.......but with so many advocating teaching illegally; what's the point? Also, it appears that a big selling point is that they will get you an ED visa, (so will Walen), and you can work while going to school. Working on an ED Visa? For three years? When is Santa Claus coming this year?

Nonsense. Plain and simple.

I think Bruce has already proved that his degree is recognized and accepted by the Thai MOE. There's no reason to think that it wouldn't be recognized by universities in and outside of Thailand for post grad study.

And after a course by course evaluation; you might find yourself repeating three years of undergraduate work. Let's see a program in the US that matches up with a "BA in TESOL." Also, enrolling as an International Student in your own country would present its own challenges. Someone with a mainstream major, would have a far easier time going abroad for graduate school. Since we don't have one student from this specific program, who has done it; we don't know for certain...but they aren't simply going to say you have a BA, now you can go for MA. There are independent agencies that do course for course evaluations, and from what I've seen happen to community college transfers; it's not very generous.

I am sorry, Thailander, you are just dead wrong. Having a BA from Thailand, be it a BA in TESOL from Thongsook or another BA or BS from another Thai university, meets the minimum requirements for applying for graduate school in the US, UK etc.

You would need a course-by-course evaluation if you were transferring credit. No one is even discussing that. We are talking about potentially going on to a Masters Degree in the US or UK based upon having a degree from Thongsook or ANY accredited Thai university.

In the US, universities will accept degrees from Thailand that are accredited by the MOU and CHE. Its really that simple. They do not automatically accept everyone that applies, just like they do not automatically accept all applicants with US degrees, but its considered to meet the minimum requirements of application.

If you were a US citizen you would not be applying as an international student just because you have a degree from Thailand. Undoubtedly in your essay you would explain how you ended up in Thailand studying in a Thai university. Like in all applications for Masters Degree programs you would need to put your best foot forward.

But its a simple fact, having a BA from Thailand, be it a BA in TESOL from Thongsook or another BA or BS, meets the minimum requirements for applying for graduate school in the US, UK etc.

Finally your attempt to compare us with a certificate course went bad at CMU is absolutely ridiculous. This is a full degree program, approved by the Board of Directors and stamped by the Council of Higher Education. This is so unlike the former CMU TEFL its impossible to compare them.

Your reckless attacks are both pitiful and embarrassing at the same time. Go do something productive, please, before you get your self into a great deal of trouble. Chiang Mai is not that far from BKK.

And after a course by course evaluation; you might find yourself repeating three years of undergraduate work. Let's see a program in the US that matches up with a "BA in TESOL." Also, enrolling as an International Student in your own country would present its own challenges. Someone with a mainstream major, would have a far easier time going abroad for graduate school. Since we don't have one student from this specific program, who has done it; we don't know for certain...but they aren't simply going to say you have a BA, now you can go for MA. There are independent agencies that do course for course evaluations, and from what I've seen happen to community college transfers; it's not very generous.

Edited by brucetefl

Students from all over Thailand, with degrees in many subjects from many universities, including Thongsook, are doing just that.

It's an undeniable fact.

I believe that students with degrees from Thongsook, with the same accreditation as the BA TESOL, are studying MA's in UK and US universities, based on the degree they gained at Thongsook.

http://www.jmu.edu/grad/prospective/international/admission_requirements.shtml

this would be for a Thai applying to a State school in Virginia. Evaluation of each course done in undergrad....how is a 6 credit hour research paper going to match up?

But in your case, it would be someone from the US, using their Thai degree to gain admission to graduate school:

http://www.jmu.edu/grad/prospective/admissions.shtml

"graduation from a regionally accredited college or university"

Here is what "regional accreditation" means: (from wikipedia)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regional_accreditation

Each program within each university has its own prerequisites....as I stated before; you could end up doing three years of undergraduate work before you can start on your masters. I stand by what I stated earlier, simply having a BA does not give you a carte blanch to get an MA. I looked at the school in question, and while it is an accredited college in Thailand; this specific program only requires 30 weeks of class over three years....3 of the courses are 6 credit hour research papers.....

Edited by Thighlander

I have no idea why James Madison requires this. From our research every school we contacted just required that the degree be accredited by the MOE.

This from UCLA:

Your inquiry to Chancellor Block was forwarded to the Graduate Division for reply.

For UCLA graduate programs, applicants from Thailand are expected to hold bachelor’s degrees, with above average achievement, from accredited institutions.

Sincerely,

Of course for James Madison we would provide the course descriptions.

But certainly its true that you are wrong that:

"It appears that several posters are implying or stating that this degree would be enough to get one into graduate school in the West. No way, Josue. Usually the number one requirement for admission to grad school is an undergraduate degree from an accredited college or university.....and they don't mean accredited by the Thai MOE. Would they even let you into Chiang Mai University with it?"

CMU, not sure. UCLA, yes?

clap2.gif

OK I will take that exchange! hahaha

(OK, in reality CMU would have absolutely no problem accepting a graduate from another accredited Thai university. I was just having some fun with Thailander's logic.)

BA_TESOL_Course_Modules_Description (2).pdf

Edited by brucetefl

And that would clearly apply to a Thai student; who is going to pay out of State tuition, and produce the test scores in English proficiency. A US citizen, presenting a degree from a Thai Institution will be scrutinized differently....both cases there will be GRE, GMAT, etc....UCLA is very competitive, too, and I'm sure they have a number of Thai students. I know of one Doctor, who did undergrad there....but she is US born, but as Thai as a bag of som tam. and you have the largest Thai community in the US in LA, too, and those students have had the advantage of growing up in a English speaking school system. But, for a farang teacher, who wishes to go back to the US for two years of grad school.....save 10,000 THB per month for 30 years.......you might have enough. Out of State tuition is brutal in the States, and they have their own special investigators to determine if you are a legit citizen of that state.

BTW, was Mr. Hippo executed? He never reported back about his passport. I read I'll seven pages of that drama.

Edited by Thighlander

So NOW a teacher in Thailand would not WANT to go back home to get their MA...

Just no pleasing you is there, Thailander.

I have no idea who Mr. Hippo is. If you want to PM me and fill me in I might or might not be able to answer.

I love it when people post libelous information on the Internet. Shall we have the attorneys work for the owners of Thongsook College contact you directly, Thailander?

this has been an accredited university since 1995 which is listed on the Ministry of Education website. It's also included in the UNESCO list of approved international universities. But thank you for exposing your blatant lack of knowledge and also breaking the law. The internet is a wonderful thing.

I had my reservations about this degree. Not least the approval confirmation from the MOE. But now it has it there is no problem. To state that you couldn't use it to further your education with a Masters is just stupid! It is an accredited university degree (whether some university's would look down on it is a possibility. BUT it is still an internationally recognized degree! )

Sent from my XT1032 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by casualbiker