Doi Suthep Fire

hokloo

Something's always burning on that hill it seems. They had some shovel crews up there, but I haven't seen alot of firetruck activity up there. I have a pretty good view from the roof with binoculars. It doesn't seem too big atm but it is getting a bit windy. 5pm tonite was still burning.

cv

First dry season in Chiang Mai?? ;-) There's small fires almost all the time. These are more visible at night. Used to worry me before when I was living in a forested area pretty much right at the foot of Doi Suthep, but then realized this is normal. :o

Cheers,

Chanchao

5pm today I could see a large fire (just alot of smoke) on the northeast side of the hill, and a smaller one on the southwest. No flames visible but it was pretty hazy (normal).

It seems people burn anything here anytime, without alot of worry about the consequences.

cv

That is the Thai way.

If it looks dry enough to burn and you have some matches or a bic lighter,set it on fire and go about your business.

It is a real scenic ride on a bus from Khon Kaen to Chiang Mai at night this time of year.Fires in the forests every where you look.

The soil erodes away when it rains, You have to cut the air in chunks before you can breathe it and folks dying everyday of lung cancer and they wonder why.

• 2 weeks later...

It's actually against the law to burn refuse, including fallen leaves, etc, within city limits in Chiang Mai. There are even signs posted, in Thai, saying so. No one in my neighbourhood pays any attention, there are at least four or five fires a day in my 'hood, every day, during the hot season. Smokey as Hades around here ...