Patient dies on the bed in Bangkok Rama II hospital fire

webfact

Patient dies on the bed in hospital fire

3-24-2014-11-32-53-AM-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- A 42-year-old patient with alcoholism and long lung sickness died on his hospital bed when a mysterious fire broke out in the room shortly before midnight Sunday.

The fire happend at Room 405 of the Rama II hospital on Rama II road.

The patient was identified as Manoch Thep-sa-nguan.

He died on the hospital bed with his left hand and both legs tied with ropes to the bed.

He had fire burns on the face ad both hands.

Hospital director Dr Peera Kananuwat said the patient came to receive treatment regularly for luck sickness and alcoholism.

He also has mental problem for speaking alone and had tried to commit suicide several times and also disturbed other patients in the same ward.

He said the patient pressed a button calling call a nurse for a permission to smoke at 900 p.m. but was not permitted as it violated the hospital rules.

The director said a reason to tie the patient to the bed was because he had background of suicide attempts, and always leaving the room to disturb other patients.

The fire happened only on the bed while other medical equipment in the room was not damaged.

He did not confirm if the fire was the patient’s suicidal attempt and would let the forensic police to investigate.

Police said they did not find cigarette butt or cigarette lighter on the bed or in the room and were examining video footage of the hospital to find clue to the fire.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/patient-dies-bed-hospital-fire/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-03-24

• Like 1

Patient dies in fire at Rama II Hospital

BANGKOK: -- A patient died in his bed in a fire that broke out in his room at Rama II Hospital late Sunday night, police said.

The fire broke out at 11:50 pm in the room where Manote Thesanguan was receiving treatment.

He suffered severe burns on his face, body and arms. His left hand and ankles were tied to his bed.

Pira Khananuwat, the hospital director, told police that the man had to be tied up because he had tried to kill himself or sometimes harassed other patients.

Pira said the patient asked a permission to smoke at 9 pm but the nurse on duty did not allow him to smoke. The director said the hospital did not know how the fire broke out.

Police did not find any cigarette butt or a lighter in the room. Police had yet to check the feed of the security camera in the room.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-03-24

"Patient dies on the bed..."

You'd think that these Thai news agencies would employ native English speakers as editors for their English news editions.

RIP Khun Manote. Better luck in your next life.

Edited by connda
  • Like 2

Don't bother sedating him when they already the problems associated with this patient - just tie him down with good strong ropes and correctly tied knots.

Works every time and saves hard earned money as the ropes can be used indefinitely.

You'd think that these Thai news agencies would employ native English speakers as editors for their English news editions.

On the bed is correct in this case, the place of his demise - not on the floor, not on the toilet etc.

If you used in bed, this would assume he was probably in bed asleep, not tied onto the bed.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

<deleted> is "luck sickness?"

It is a sickness I have on lotto night, It is sometimes called No luck or no luck Yingluck.

No Yingluck would be good luck for Thailand.

• Like 1

<deleted> is "luck sickness?"

luck sickness:

When you find out your wife's "brother" is really her husband.

May Khun Manoch rest in peace.

Edited by Pimay1
  • Like 2

In the context of this report you have found the most important part of the article to pull apart and to state your hackneyed, unoriginal view about. Very well done.

• Like 1

The problem here lies in the fact that Thailand will not recognise mental illness. Nobody Thai has mental illness or disease - all are perfect. A visit to a psychiatrist is loss of face to the family, and is totally unacceptable, and therefore even children presenting with neurosis are prohibited from leaving the home. Archaic and bombastic and disgusting - then again, what does Thailand want to learn from the West? - nothing. Monks know more than Jung and Freud exemplified. I don't know of any one infirmary in Thailand dealing with psychosis, or psychiatric problems or presented neuroses, apart from Bankok Hospital for foreigners. Then again, there are lots of escape routes in wats, and collecting plastic bottles to survive instinctually.

Bolleux

BLAZE
Investigation into hospital fire opened

The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Police are investigating the likely causes of a fire at Praram 2 Hospital in Bang Khun Thien district on Sunday night that resulted in the death of a patient. The patient's legs and arm had been tied with rope to the bed, police said.

Dr Peera Kananuwat, hospital director, said Monday the patient, Manote Thepsanguan, 42, a regular patient and receiving treatment for alcoholism and lung infection. The director said the patient appeared to have mental problems such as talking to himself, following nurses and disturbing other patients. Therefore, the hospital decided to tie him to the bed as a preventive measure.

The victim was brought to the hospital by two men on March 21 and had no visitors. His request to smoke was rejected at about 9pm on Sunday and fire broke out in his room on the fourth floor of the building about midnight.

The fire damaged the bed of the patient, the director said, but refused to speculate as to the cause of the fire, saying it was the police’s duty.

Police commander; Pol Col Thanadet Theenaka, said evidence collected from the site showed that the fire may started near the victim’s torso and he had serious burn wounds on the right side of his body. Forensic officials found no cigarette butts or lighter at the scene and no sign of electrical short circuit in the room.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-03-24

The problem here lies in the fact that Thailand will not recognise mental illness. Nobody Thai has mental illness or disease - all are perfect. A visit to a psychiatrist is loss of face to the family, and is totally unacceptable, and therefore even children presenting with neurosis are prohibited from leaving the home. Archaic and bombastic and disgusting - then again, what does Thailand want to learn from the West? - nothing. Monks know more than Jung and Freud exemplified. I don't know of any one infirmary in Thailand dealing with psychosis, or psychiatric problems or presented neuroses, apart from Bankok Hospital for foreigners. Then again, there are lots of escape routes in wats, and collecting plastic bottles to survive instinctually.

Monks here really don't know much at all! Not even about what they should know about!

Oh, you thought the so-called English versions were for expats and others? Nope, they are to impress fellow Thai businesses and get ad money.

• Like 1

seems like he tried to smoke anyway, some people just cant help themselves. Hopefuly he will now be in a better place although it was a terrible way to get there.

A better place...where? Disneyland? You're silly!

appalling

1) tied to bed with ropes - is that the common practice for restraining annoying patients - I am guessing it would be illegal in most countries

2) in the event of a fire it is the duty of hospital staff to make sure all patients are evacuated

3) I sense an attitude of "just some alcoholic"

4) Lastly is the balcony the "fire assembly point" - unbelievable!

I hope there will be an enquiry to get at the truth and stop this happening again.... though I somehow doubt there will

Edited by gbswales

On the bed is correct in this case, the place of his demise - not on the floor, not on the toilet etc.

If you used in bed, this would assume he was probably in bed asleep, not tied onto the bed.

I have to agree with you, that there's nothing wrong. The only thing that's wrong is that the OP didn't even bother what a terrible way he'd chosen to die.

Alcoholism is a serious sickness. RIP -wai2.gif

Edited by sirchai

'The director said a reason to tie the patient to the bed was because he had background of suicide attempts, and always leaving the room to disturb other patients.'

That is a feeble attempt to explain why a patient was tied to a bed.

And His Majesties being denied access. Really sick hospital and patient. Alcoholism has been a known illness by the WHO for over 40 years now. Very sad indeed....

Sent from my i-mobile i-STYLE 8.2 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Tied him to the bed and left him without supervision.

Somebody needs some good spanking here.

Yes someone needs to go to goal, sick in the extreme.

Sent from my i-mobile i-STYLE 8.2 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app