Mentally Unstable Songtow Driver

CMNightRider

20 Baht at night for across town does seem a bit tight for me (or 60 baht for all). Especially considering if you were going to Dukes to feed three, you would normally drop a bundle on that and not bat an eyelid. The fare would be what maybe 2 or 3% maybe a bit more or less with drinks etc.

I will grant you that if he wanted a 1000baht he should have at least worn a mask and had a hand gun to get your moneys worth.

I actually like the songtows...catch a few a week never a problem, tell where and then if they are going ask price and start the discussion (accepting around town and day time 20 is the go). If I travel with my wife on a long or irrefular route she makes me hide out of sight .....she only does this for songtows ....and tragically now I always shuffle off to the darkest spot and make myself smaller before being asked......honest sad.png

Edited by mamborobert

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry to be the Nth person so say this but: Did not first negotiate the price? rolleyes.gif In any case do not believe that 20baht does not still "cut it" as one forum member has asserted. For a few kilometres 20baht is no big deal. For example most times I can go from say Tha Pae Gate to Airport Plaza Central or Lotus Kad Suan Kaew for 20baht. Sometimes must settle for 40baht and rarely as much as 50baht during rush hour.

The yellow songtaews go from Airport Plaza to CM Gate or further on to Warorot Market - all for 20 baht. Airport Plaza also runs a free songtaew (dark green) to Loi Kroh - about eight to ten time scheduled journeys a day. So would be hard for them to charge more without knowingly trying to rip you off. When I do border runs I get a red songtaew from Samoeng junction (Hang Dong) to Arcade for between 60 and 100 baht - usually 80 baht. Its a long journey and they simply would not take anyone all that way for less - and I feel fine with paying that. As aklways in this country, it helps top separate oneself from the tourist marks by speaking the local lingo when informing them where you want to go.

In town, I never ask how much - just say where to. It will be 20 baht - if they try it on, then they still get 20 baht and the chance to vent (to which I walk away casually). Always helps getting off somewhere busy - like a market - they haven't time to chase you or get out to argue the toss.

I saw a mentally unstable sorngtoew driver around Nima about two months ago. While waiting at the lights where the road becomes the inner r&g road one joker thought it was ok to drive right up to the lights in the oncoming traffic lane and sit there instead of lining up. All the oncoming traffic had to go down to single file when the lights went green, the intersection was blocked as a result and some drivers voiced their displeasure by sounding their horns. Well, that just sent this guy into a tail spin so he stopped his car in the middle of the intersection, got out and abused all and sundry. One guy managed to sneak by his barricade but he made the mistake of sounding his horn and this led the maniac to jump into his truck and actually chase this guy all the way to the moat nearly running some cars off the road in the process. I managed to give him a beep as well just to see his reaction as this was by now pure entertainment and I thought his head would explode! Fortunately I was in a position to annoy him and make good my escape while he was hemmed in traffic.

That guy was really mentally unstable, maybe the same chap?

20 Baht at night for across town does seem a bit tight for me (or 60 baht for all). Especially considering if you were going to Dukes to feed three, you would normally drop a bundle on that and not bat an eyelid. The fare would be what maybe 2 or 3% maybe a bit more or less with drinks etc.

I will grant you that if he wanted a 1000baht he should have at least worn a mask and had a hand gun to get your moneys worth.

I actually like the songtows...catch a few a week never a problem, tell where and then if they are going ask price and start the discussion (accepting around town and day time 20 is the go). If I travel with my wife on a long or irrefular route she makes me hide out of sight .....she only does this for songtows ....and tragically now I always shuffle off to the darkest spot and make myself smaller before being asked......honest sad.png

We didn't go to Dukes at night. We went their for an early lunch. When we entered the red songtow there were two other passengers. One passenger got off before we reached Dukes, and the other passenger who appeared to be a western tourist was still in the back of the songtow when the driver took off at a high rate of speed yelling at us. I can still see the terrified look on the tourists face, as he sat alone, knowing he would be next to have to deal with this lunatic.

I saw a mentally unstable sorngtoew driver around Nima about two months ago. While waiting at the lights where the road becomes the inner r&g road one joker thought it was ok to drive right up to the lights in the oncoming traffic lane and sit there instead of lining up. All the oncoming traffic had to go down to single file when the lights went green, the intersection was blocked as a result and some drivers voiced their displeasure by sounding their horns. Well, that just sent this guy into a tail spin so he stopped his car in the middle of the intersection, got out and abused all and sundry. One guy managed to sneak by his barricade but he made the mistake of sounding his horn and this led the maniac to jump into his truck and actually chase this guy all the way to the moat nearly running some cars off the road in the process. I managed to give him a beep as well just to see his reaction as this was by now pure entertainment and I thought his head would explode! Fortunately I was in a position to annoy him and make good my escape while he was hemmed in traffic.

That guy was really mentally unstable, maybe the same chap?

I'm almost certain, because of the high number of red songtows on the streets of CM, there may be more than one "unstable songtow driver" running amok in CM. You were lucky you managed to escape with your life, after beeping your horn at this person. These people usually don't like loud noises directed towards them. You may have actually had a close encounter with the same individual as we did. OMG!!!

"Please be on your guard for a red songtow fitting the above mentioned description with an older unstable driver." That's a really useful description cheesy.gif

I apologize for not taking a photo of the driver and his songtow, but at the time we were more concerned about the drivers unstable demeanor. This is just a public service announcement and nothing to get hysterical about. I have been here for about 6 years, and have never experienced an encounter like this before.

Is there a lesson to be learned? Maybe it's a good idea to first agree on the fee instead of just assuming. By not doing so you are putting yourself at risk. The driver was probably making a point because you were so sure of what you should pay without first having him agree. You then caused unnecessary disagreement and then you spent your time to write about it bashing this driver. How much did it really cost you in the end? I think the driver was thinking you were arrogant by no agreeing first. Everywhere in Thailand and everywhere I go I've seen passengers first agree on the price. Why didn't you do the same?

"Please be on your guard for a red songtow fitting the above mentioned description with an older unstable driver." That's a really useful description cheesy.gif

I apologize for not taking a photo of the driver and his songtow, but at the time we were more concerned about the drivers unstable demeanor. This is just a public service announcement and nothing to get hysterical about. I have been here for about 6 years, and have never experienced an encounter like this before.

Is there a lesson to be learned? Maybe it's a good idea to first agree on the fee instead of just assuming. By not doing so you are putting yourself at risk. The driver was probably making a point because you were so sure of what you should pay without first having him agree. You then caused unnecessary disagreement and then you spent your time to write about it bashing this driver. How much did it really cost you in the end? I think the driver was thinking you were arrogant by no agreeing first. Everywhere in Thailand and everywhere I go I've seen passengers first agree on the price. Why didn't you do the same?

That is not the system the Thais use and you will usually pay more if you mention the price. Anyone who is enough of a lunatic to demand 1,000 baht for that trip is not going to abide by the price that you negotiated anyway. In Vietnam, the cyclo drivers will sometimes agree to a price and then demand much more when you arrive. Maybe the driver is a recent immigrant.

Edited by Ulysses G.
  • Like 2

Why would people care about paying 100-200 bath per trip anyway? It is dirt cheap by most standard and would help those poor drivers improve their living condition. Besides, the current fleet of crappy red pickup truck is causing a lot of street level air pollution so I wouldn't mind paying more if it means getting a more quality service in better vehicles.

If people started "paying 100-200 baht per trip" to ride in the back of a songtow, everyone and his brother would become songtow drivers. Besides, if you started paying 100-200 baht to ride in a songtow, people would think you are ting tong. On second thought, maybe you are ting tong.

They get that much and my wife will have one even if I have to teach her to drive it.

I appreciate you sharing your infinite wisdom regarding Thai songtows. In the future, I'll make sure the trip will be the standard 20 baht fee before climbing into the rear of one of these vehicles. However, I don't think "the driver was making a point" by demanding 1000 baht. I believe he is mentally unstable and possibly delusional.

"How much did it really cost me in the end?" My share was 20 baht. Do you think I should have given the driver 1000 baht rather than "causing an unnecessary disagreement?"

If you ask him before you get in if the price is 20 baht half the time it will go up to 30 baht. When they agree to take you it is an agreement to do it for 20 baht. If they want more they will say so. Mind you with the cost of living I am more open to that in many cases. I did not come here to have them support me. I am willing to pay my fair share. It probably cost me 300 baht more a month than many others doing the same routes and times as I do but it is not worth getting upset over.

Except for a few lunatics and I am dammed if I will let them scare me off the normal acceptable practices here in Chiang Mai.

If it's more than 2 km; I always verify price. There have been times when one wouldn't take 50, then a minute later there is one that will do it for 20 and not bat an eye. When the sun goes down, things get dodgy, and those who take long trips without verifying the price are clearly looking for pompom. The songtaews over at Nimman are looking for big fish to fry, especially the ones who are parked. Similar to MM soi 7....doing what we assume they do is the furthest thing from their minds. It's just not difficult to hold up two fingers and get a nod before getting in. If you are afraid to negotiate in front of your date; then get a new one. Red/yellows have taken good care of me over the years, and most are cleaner than the busses in the Browntowns of America. Sat by a med student, yesterday.

Off topic, I suppose, but...... I've spent most of my life in America, and I've never heard anyone use the term "Browntowns" before.

If you don't mind my asking, what or where are you referring to, exactly?

If it's more than 2 km; I always verify price. There have been times when one wouldn't take 50, then a minute later there is one that will do it for 20 and not bat an eye. When the sun goes down, things get dodgy, and those who take long trips without verifying the price are clearly looking for pompom. The songtaews over at Nimman are looking for big fish to fry, especially the ones who are parked. Similar to MM soi 7....doing what we assume they do is the furthest thing from their minds. It's just not difficult to hold up two fingers and get a nod before getting in. If you are afraid to negotiate in front of your date; then get a new one. Red/yellows have taken good care of me over the years, and most are cleaner than the busses in the Browntowns of America. Sat by a med student, yesterday.

Off topic, I suppose, but...... I've spent most of my life in America, and I've never heard anyone use the term "Browntowns" before.

go upstairs and ask your grandma.

go upstairs and ask your grandma.

Huh?

What an odd, eminently inscrutable reply!

Both of my grandmothers are long dead, and I've never shared an address with either of them. They were as different as night and day though, and the only thing that I can think of that they had in common was that they were both born in the 19th century.

I'm only guessing here, but are you trying to say that the term "Browntowns" was only understandable or relevant in the 19th century, and hasn't been since?

Otherwise.... I'm afraid that you've lost me! blink.png

brown town

to 'go to brown town' with someone means to have anal sex with them

I want to go to brown town with Vanessa.

Urban Dictionary

Can we say anal sex here? And in case anyone was wondering, I googled it. I'm not speaking from experience and I've never met Vanessa, or her brother.

Edited by Chiengmaijoe
  • Like 2

I would like to claim a prize for riding in the oldest CM Songthaew with the oldest grandpop and mom driver last Saturday but omitted to note the number.

Before we even left the airport, the songtheaw gave out and he couldnt get it in gear-in the middle of the road. Even a 2 handed gearchange attempt and help from the missus sitting beside him wasnt doing it. So reaching for a bottle ( I thought to console himself) and up with the hood,slopped in the oil, slipped it into gear and off we went- suspensionless to Nong Hoi. 50 baht each plus a sympathy tip to buy more oil.

I guess a typically thai reaction from my gf and a rather nice one in my view: Why arent the family looking after them better?

A fun welcome back to Chiang Mai from the capitalism hustle and bustle of Hong Kong

Geez, waiting outside for a cheapie, after arriving from 'the hustle and bustle of Hong Kong'.

Did you have to wait long for this 'special' vehicle after your arrival, or did you just get lucky as songtheaws are moved on rather quickly after dropping people off?

You can get an air con taxi to Nong Hoi for 120 Baht, without setting foot outside the terminal!

Nice story.

I agree with your point but ours was not to wait the usual 20 minutes or more for a 'proper' taxi and we stopped this guy before he dropped his fare so no waiting at all-as we had hoped. And as for air-con, after the relative cold of Hong Kong, the natriural aircon of a songthaew was more than welcome. It's great to be back, as ever

From Urban Dictionary.

brown town

to 'go to brown town' with someone means to have anal sex with them

I want to go to brown town with Vanessa.

Can we say anal sex here?

Ah!

Thanks for the clarification.

So, when he says: "If you are afraid to negotiate in front of your date; then get a new one", he's talking about a new what?

A new "date"? A more effective means of "negotiation"?

And when he says that "Red/yellows have taken good care of me over the years, and most are cleaner than the busses in the Browntowns of America", he's talking about.... what exactly? (And by "busses" (sic), I'll assume that he means "buses". Otherwise...... eeewwwww!)

At any rate, as long as he's not implying that one or the other of my dear departed grandmothers was an antediluvian, unapologetic, overtly racist a-hole, then.... I suppose that my question has been answered!

Edited by landtrout
  • Like 1

I m amazed (I think) that a few baht has generated so much correspondence. Whats even more ironic is that the original poster and his friends were travelling to Dukes with its over inflated prices (plus service charge!!!!) and yet feel the need to argue about paying a proper price for a taxi type journey!!

I guess there are still too many tight ass skinflints here who still think the world is as it was ten years ago. Wake up, people, smell the coffee, (if you can afford one) and recognise the reality of life as it is not how it was.

• Like 2

Maybe there was a communication breakdown of some sort and he mixed up 100 baht / 1,000 baht? just a thought

I did think of this later but the driver said 1000 baht very clearly and he repeated it a couple of times. I don't run around stiffing Thai's for services rendered, and I always leave a tip at restaurants unless the restaurant has a service charge. In my opinion, songtows work fine in small towns but has out lived their usefulness CM. The city managers should probably focus their attention on how to get these vehicles off the road and look at city busses, metered taxis, or a subway system. Whether we like it or not, CM is growing rapidly and is being advertised all of the world as an affordable tourist and retirement destination. Now the Chinese have discovered CM, OMG!

That is not the system the Thais use and you will usually pay more if you mention the price. Anyone who is enough of a lunatic to demand 1,000 baht for that trip is not going to abide by the price that you negotiated anyway. In Vietnam, the cyclo drivers will sometimes agree to a price and then demand much more when you arrive. Maybe the driver is a recent immigrant.

You're flogging a dead horse UG.

Just accept that there are people living here that have no idea of the system.