Mentally Unstable Songtow Driver

CMNightRider

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're flogging a dead horse UG.

Just accept that there are people living here that have no idea of the system.

Agreed. Someone claimed earlier that we "Falangs get a bad reputation for a skinflint attitude". After reading some of the responses on this thread, I can see why we get a reputation for being suckers for paying more that everyone else does. No wonder some Thais are so insistent that Westerners pay 3 or 4 times the going rate for pretty much everything. facepalm.gif

"Hello can I have a taxi to the airport?"

"150 Baht.....surely that's too cheap, I AM a farang?"

"But I'd really like to pay 500 Baht instead, if that's OK?"

"Thank you so very much" wai.gif

• Like 2

This thread reminds me of a Thai hairdresser I went to once. She told she could charge me double what she charges her Thai customers since a haircut in my own country was so much more expensive than in Thailand.

That incident gave me some insight into how some of the Thai people are thinking.

• Like 1

This thread reminds me of a Thai hairdresser I went to once. She told she could charge me double what she charges her Thai customers since a haircut in my own country was so much more expensive than in Thailand.

That incident gave me some insight into how some of the Thai people are thinking.

to be honest haircuts in uk are cheaper than here,or they were 3years ago last time i was home,with tip in uk about 200-250bht here with tip depending were you go,260-350bht

But guys this is not a thai thing- this is tourism the world over.

Anywhere that travellers are unaware of local pricing, drivers/ice cream sellers/market stall vendors/landlotds and the like sieze the opportunity. Surely you have all experienced this to a greater or lesser degree everywhere you travel.

There are also, farang landlords here who let short term property at double or more to visitors than a thai or local farang would pay.

Greed was one of the 7 deadly sins I think long before Thailand existed! So lets not use this as another excuse to bash the thai....

• Like 1

But guys this is not a thai thing- this is tourism the world over.

Anywhere that travellers are unaware of local pricing, drivers/ice cream sellers/market stall vendors/landlotds and the like sieze the opportunity. Surely you have all experienced this to a greater or lesser degree everywhere you travel.

There are also, farang landlords here who let short term property at double or more to visitors than a thai or local farang would pay.

Greed was one of the 7 deadly sins I think long before Thailand existed! So lets not use this as another excuse to bash the thai....

Yes I have come across this a few times. Quite often Thai's will set a 'fair' price and be happy with it, knowing a foreigner is living there and will take better care of it than a Thai (in most cases). But it is often pushed up by a foreign partner or busybody saying "that's cheap for farang you can get much more" or an agent trying to suck out every baht they can get.

In fact I know of one Thai lady who was quite embarrassed to advertise her house for 15,000 baht as she had built it and planned on 10,000 baht.........partner pushed her and it stayed empty for 18 months and was eventually leased for 12,000 baht after additional fixtures were put in.

Edited by uptheos

We have a saying in the USA- "Them that asks, gets..."

The driver was clearly trying to rip the OP off and after reading some of the posts here, I understand why" "Its only a few baht you skinflint!; prices have increased!" and such like...

The very same rip off apologists would have their respective panties in a twist if back home a taxi driver tried to over charge them by a factor of more than 10.

No matter how long we expats live here some of the locals will try it on, and even more amazing, many fellow foreigners will defend them for doing so.

Beam my up Scotty...

• Like 2

Why would people care about paying 100-200 bath per trip anyway? It is dirt cheap by most standard and would help those poor drivers improve their living condition. Besides, the current fleet of crappy red pickup truck is causing a lot of street level air pollution so I wouldn't mind paying more if it means getting a more quality service in better vehicles.

If people started "paying 100-200 baht per trip" to ride in the back of a songtow, everyone and his brother would become songtow drivers. Besides, if you started paying 100-200 baht to ride in a songtow, people would think you are ting tong. On second thought, maybe you are ting tong.

100 bath is the price of a metro ticket where I come from so no it isn't a crazy price especially as the songtow is usually faster than the metro (in my case they always bring me to my destination without picking anyone else). I do not speak thai so while I would not accept to pay a thousand baths for a short ride I won't waste my time arguing over a 3$ fare.

• Like 1

Why would people care about paying 100-200 bath per trip anyway? It is dirt cheap by most standard and would help those poor drivers improve their living condition. Besides, the current fleet of crappy red pickup truck is causing a lot of street level air pollution so I wouldn't mind paying more if it means getting a more quality service in better vehicles.

If people started "paying 100-200 baht per trip" to ride in the back of a songtow, everyone and his brother would become songtow drivers. Besides, if you started paying 100-200 baht to ride in a songtow, people would think you are ting tong. On second thought, maybe you are ting tong.

100 bath is the price of a metro ticket where I come from so no it isn't a crazy price especially as the songtow is usually faster than the metro (in my case they always bring me to my destination without picking anyone else). I do not speak thai so while I would not accept to pay a thousand baths for a short ride I won't waste my time arguing over a 3$ fare.

I'm not certain how you can compare riding a "metro" with riding in a songtow (back of a pickup). Many songtow drivers don't even have a drivers license. It isn't uncommon to see a songtow driver drinking alcohol while transporting passengers, not to mention consistently putting passengers at risk by driving recklessly. OMG!!

I am still trying to figure out how long it takes to become an expert on Chiang Mai and everything here. I certainly missed it by a long shot.

Be patient Grasshopper. It takes a long, long, time.

Master Po,

Not according to the wisdom meted out. But I will lift the hot kettle.

I am still trying to figure out how long it takes to become an expert on Chiang Mai and everything here. I certainly missed it by a long shot.

Be patient Grasshopper. It takes a long, long, time.

Master Po,

Not according to the wisdom meted out. But I will lift the hot kettle.

OH No! Please don't" lift the hot kettle" yet. You have to spend more time on ThaiVisa, lol. Please don't forget, this songtow driver is still roaming CM Soi's looking for another victim.

Well where I'm from I always pay about 6000 Baht from the airport into town (Nice Côte d'Azur -> Monte Carlo) so clearly a Chiang Mai Red Bus driver is entitled to a similar amount. But I usually tip extra at night of course.

attachicon.gifCapture.JPG

Well where I'm from I always pay about 6000 Baht from the airport into town (Nice Côte d'Azur -> Monte Carlo) so clearly a Chiang Mai Red Bus driver is entitled to a similar amount. But I usually tip extra at night of course.

attachicon.gifCapture.JPG

I mean, it's not like it's Zurich Airport to Liechtenstein. Getting to Vaduz is always a little spendy. Ha Ha.

Uh Winnie the date on your picture is April the 17 2014 that is three weeks away.

Don't you think that is a little late to avoid the smog season?facepalm.gif

Always ask... 10 baht anywhere north to south 2nd road and Beach rd Pattaya, standard price.

So next time I want to go to Pattaya, I'll stand at Thapae Gate and state 10B.

Great post makes more sense than many of the posts.

with that I would say.beatdeadhorse.gifbeatdeadhorse.gifdrunk.gif go team Songthaew bashers go.beatdeadhorse.gifbeatdeadhorse.gifviolin.gif

• 2 months later...

Wow !!! I feel this guy should be taken off the road given his display of rage associated with this event, im planning a trip to CM jan 15 and certainly hope I dont run into this idiot.....I feel for the tourist in the back of this so called truck with seats, that was left behind....in my country only a cattle dog is able to ride in the back, anyhow ive done some reasearch on Dukes and I believe the ribs are good , ill look forward to a full rack !! smile.png

I am surprised that more of this doesn't happen. In Thailand the police do nothing when criminals demand money, so why wouldn't every business in Thailand try to rip everyone off?

This may be a bit difficult for the cynical and simple minded to understand but I'll give it a try anyway......... because not everyone is dishonest. Believe it or not, as fantastic as this may seem to some, the majority of people the world over are honest and decent, and that includes Thais.

You should file this little nugget of information under "you learn something new every day".

if I might throw in my two satangs we are talking in general about taxi drivers who are not just ordinary people whether in London/Bangkok or new York in many places they rely on tourists for their tips ,and as in Thailand there is very little enforcement of the law, it tends to embolden some of them to the extent that ya-ba tea breaks are more common than we would hope for resulting in some horrific incidents, I have been blatantly lied to and robbed in a few places but Thailand is the only place up to now that I have feared for my life from a taxi driver who's rolled back eyes and foaming snarl passed for inhuman just a few months after an American was killed in Bangkok by a samurai sword wheedling cabby with a drugs habit, I know lots of decent thais but for some reason most seem to be away from the farang areas .

"maybe its the ones chasing the farang money that give the bad image" we all learn something every day.

cheers zoza

I always confirm a price for transportation. I learned that lesson early. In Chiang Mai, when using a red bus, I usually state my destination....i.e. Thapae Gate, Night Bizarre....and hold up two fingers and say Yi Sip (20 baht). I find that the normal price for popular destinations throughout the city. Sometimes I'll get a comeback of 30 baht and usually agree. Tuk Tuks are more and I usually get a fair price of 80 to 100 baht when I'm in an unusual place in town and/or off the beaten track. Occasionally I will get a Tuk Tuk driver trying to gouge me with a quote of 150 to 200 baht. I usually respond......I DONT WANT TO GO TO BANGKOK, JUST THE OTHER SIDE OF TOWN! My significant other, who is Thai, has told me numerous times I'll eventually get a knife for my smart remark. I guess I need to control my tongue but I hate being taken advantage of. When I walk away I usually get a re-quote of 100 baht but if there's another Tuk Tuk nearby I'll take his ride for the lower price.

Occasionally they will try it on but i find most drivers are pretty good , compared to taxis in Australia they are cheap and nearly always available.

True but have you factored in the disparity in wages ? Comparing Thailand taxi drivers level of personal income with our own home countries is pretty pointless.

A taxi driver I know in Bangkok is happy to take home about an average of 500 baht a day,for a 12 hour, or more, shift.

I always confirm a price for transportation. I learned that lesson early. In Chiang Mai, when using a red bus, I usually state my destination....i.e. Thapae Gate, Night Bizarre....and hold up two fingers and say Yi Sip (20 baht). I find that the normal price for popular destinations throughout the city. Sometimes I'll get a comeback of 30 baht and usually agree. Tuk Tuks are more and I usually get a fair price of 80 to 100 baht when I'm in an unusual place in town and/or off the beaten track. Occasionally I will get a Tuk Tuk driver trying to gouge me with a quote of 150 to 200 baht. I usually respond......I DONT WANT TO GO TO BANGKOK, JUST THE OTHER SIDE OF TOWN! My significant other, who is Thai, has told me numerous times I'll eventually get a knife for my smart remark. I guess I need to control my tongue but I hate being taken advantage of. When I walk away I usually get a re-quote of 100 baht but if there's another Tuk Tuk nearby I'll take his ride for the lower price.

Best not to discuss the price with a songtaew (red truck). I just tell them the destination in Thai, get the nod, then get in the truck. Pay them 20 baht at the destination and walk away.

Edited by mesquite
  • Like 2

When the bus service was introduced an agreement was made not to introduce it on the route covered by the Red Songtaus in return for the Songtau drivers accepting a set fare which is even as it has been increased considerably less than 20 baht. If they are unwilling to work for the agreed fare they of course have the option of not doing so but that includes staying off the road.

Edited by harrry