French resort manager, Ukrainian tour guide nabbed in work permit raids

webfact

French resort manager, Ukrainian tour guide nabbed in work permit raids
Phuket Gazette

1_2014325171620527_hwDiLIIrqbCGdOQGpToAI
Resort manager Eric Raymond Seigneurin, 55, was charged with working illegally. Photo: Kritsada Mueanhawong

PHUKET: -- Phuket Immigration last night arrested the manager of The Blue Garden Resort & Spa in Cherng Talay, where Russian woman Iana Strizheus was found bruised and battered after her alleged kidnapping ordeal.

Officers moved in and arrested French national Eric Raymond Seigneurin, 55, at about 9pm after plainclothes police posing as tourists observed him serving tourists at the resort.

Mr Seigneurin presented his passport and the company registration documents for the resort to officers, but could not produce a work permit, explained Phuket Immigration Inspector Tianchai Chompoo.

“In addition to being charged for working without a work permit, Mr Seigneurin was charged for not filing a list of guests currently staying at the resort with Phuket Immigration, which in this case would have included Ms Strizheus,” Lt Col Tianchai said.

Mr Seigneurin was taken to Cherng Talay Police Station to process the charges.

Earlier last night, at about 7pm, immigration officers arrested Ukrainian national Ivan Vivdenko, 26, in Phuket Town on an outstanding warrant for working without a work permit and working illegally as a tour guide.

“We received a tip-off from plainclothes police that Mr Vivdenko was seen walking on Phuket Road,” Col Tianchai said.

“He was wanted on a warrant issued by the Phuket Provincial Court on March 5, so we took him to Chalong Police Station to be processed, as it was the Chalong Police who requested the warrant.”

Source: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/French-resort-manager-Ukrainian-tour-guide-nabbed/27952#ad-image-0

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2014-03-26

• Like 2

“In addition to being charged for working without a work permit, Mr Seigneurin was charged for not filing a list of guests currently staying at the resort with Phuket Immigration, which in this case would have included Ms Strizheus,” Lt Col Tianchai said.

So he's charged both with working illegally and not doing his job properly?

It made me Goggle too....

For Retirees and Business People.....

Can we have a follow up on this - working as Retired - no permit?

Not forgetting the seeming laid back mistake of lodging the guest list.

(Which many tourists find a hassle...)

Perhaps this Forum or the lawer section could use this as an example?

“We received a tip-off from plainclothes police that Mr Vivdenko was seen walking on Phuket Road,” Col Tianchai said.

sad is that the coppers wouldn't find any criminals without those " tip-offs."-wai2.gif

would love to know how many Thais work abroad illegally .... coffee1.gif I know a lot in Germany already

Sorry, but this is not about how many Thais are working illegally in Germany and elsewhere..

Once they get caught, they'll also be send back where they came from. There are many ways to be legal, paying taxes, giving Thai nationals a job here.

I volunteered a Thai woman who became a tourist guide and had to study hard to be where she is now.

Why should foreigners have it easier than Thais. This is Thailand. Germany is Deutschland.-wai2.gif

Edited by sirchai
  • Like 1

A few years ago there was a story about a bar owner in Phuket who was arrested for sitting on the customer side of the bar and talking to customers. He was charged with working without a permit on the basis that he was actively "marketing" the bar while sitting and talking to customers. He was deported and lost everything.

It would seem that the laws are such that if you get on anyone's shit list anywhere, they can "tip off" authorities and have you busted and deported for essentially doing nothing. Perhaps someone wants your bar or guesthouse; perhaps your wife wants you gone; perhaps you didn't pay the local police enough... whatever. The fact is, there is NO protection under the law in Thailand. It doesn't matter if you have family here that you are supporting, that you are paying taxes here, hiring and paying Thai's an actual living wage, building a successful business, etc. Nothing matters; there is simply no protection under the law.

This man may have gotten on a black list for one or more very undesirable things--we cannot know. But what we can see and know is that the same thing could happen to most any of us if anyone had it out for us for any reason: an unhappy neighbor, envy, jealousy, an unhappy employee who was actually expected to work, etc. It is one of many things that make it difficult for me to be optimistic about Thailand's future.

I guess you hold the assumption that Thailands future is dependant on people working illegally in the country.

Future, past and present! At least if you include Thais and "illegal activities."

Amazing and excellent police work! What a case and may the French guy never see the daylight again for his horrible crimes.

I am really impressed and good for Thailand too! Think I will go drink a Red Bull and get on with life...

So he's charged both with working illegally and not doing his job properly?

There is probably more to it than that.

Many of these people are members of criminal gangs, in to all sorts of dubious activities in Phuket. I also wonder if this guy has false documents and a false passport? Because he has more of a Eastern European appearance than French and he certainly looks a lot older than 55. More like 65 I would say.

The police should also arrest the Thais that are fronting these undesirables..

"Many of these people are members of criminal gangs"

are you referring to the french guy or the police?

• Like 1

There is probably more to it than that.

Many of these people are members of criminal gangs, in to all sorts of dubious activities in Phuket. I also wonder if this guy has false documents and a false passport? Because he has more of a Eastern European appearance than French and he certainly looks a lot older than 55. More like 65 I would say.

The police should also arrest the Thais that are fronting these undesirables..

Easy there Tonto.

I have a pal from high-school in Scotland in the late 60's called Alec Cameron. Black as the inside of a cow he was but 2nd (possibly 3rd) generation Jockinese. Almost as good as most Englanders.

And I look a lot younger than my late 50's... what is your point exactly?

Regarding banging up the Thai stockholders... and kill the goose that lays the golden egg?

• Like 1

Of course he gets arrested. He was caught working illegally. Yes, maybe he was unlucky these thugs ended up at his place, so what? He was working illegally, the police really did not have a choice.

yes clearly this is a hideously egregious crime.... fancy bringing foreigners with money to spend into local Thai businesses and supporting the flagging tourist trade that has taken such a hit these past months from such loyal Thai persons as Sutep and other similar Thai economy supporters.... These people obviously deserve public humiliation!

what a stupid comment.

If you want to work get a visa. end of story

The French guy in the OP wasn't arrested for a visa violation. He was arrested for working without a work permit. Visa and work permit are two entirely separate and different things.

There was no mention whatsoever in the OP article of the Frenchman's visa status.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

Ah! Firstly I find it lovely that when someone is having problems people liek Beetlejuice starts to say that they are probably criminals and deserve whatever comes to them. Good going! You fit as a glove to Thailand and Thai attitude.

Secondly, I find it a very stupid and outdated law that if you OWN a business you have to have a separate work permit. Who doesn't want to work in his own business? The costly bureacracy is not helping making your business viable having freeloaders sucking in all profits.

Thirdly, this kind of news give a very clear and loud signal to anyone wanting to start or purchase a business to NOT do so. Let Thais have it all. I see an exodus of Farangs in a medium to long time period. Phuket is a criminal playing ground and I have news for you...most of these criminals are not Farang.

• Like 2

........ The fact is, there is NO protection under the law in Thailand. ...............

Hmm. How should I understand this. You expect someone who is working illegally to be protected under the law, or ....................

I think he was referring to the reason he was charged for and deported plus losing his business etc. The reason for talking to someone an promoting his bar is really digging to the bottom of the barrel.

Same thing here. You are talking to someone in a bar and telling him how good your country is and the special places to go. So,can they get us for working without a permit for promoting your country????

Kiwi Kenny

• Like 1

Sounds fine to me. I don't want tourists working illegally in my country either.

What is your country?? Maybe people don't want to be tourists there!!

Well it doesn't really matter. My country is the one I happened to be born in. It seems normal to me for countries to regulate foreign workers. I don't expect normal standards to be relaxed at certain locations because people of my race or other status I share will tend to be affected.