Mcdonalds

And Ive been inn the Netherlands, UK, Germany., France.....and they all seem to have more McDonalds per capita than here in the US. Ok...they eat the shit and then talk trash.

good for them

I doubt Europe have more McD per capita than US!

Regarding "eat[ing] the shit and then talk trash" you got to remember that one country is not one opinion. Some people just love it and some people just hate it.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Please refrain from all discussions related to McDonalds breakfast.

No egg McMuffins are available here in wild and wonderful Thailand, and all this talk of McDonalds breakfast will soon start to get to me. So I ask again please refrain from discussions related to McDonalds breakfasts.

Your assistance in this matter will be greatly appreciated. :o

Egg McMuffin? Have you tried those new breakfast sandwiches called McGriddles? They are devine!!!!!! :D

McGriddles are you serious? You must have one heck of a sweet tooth. If I recall correctly from my last visit to the US these are breakfast sandwiches with pancakesque like bread – right?

Tried one and it was WAY too sweet for me - could not finish it.

Another thing that I have noticed since moving to Asia is that US portion sizes are way over the top. We need to learn a little moderation. I mean you can now get like a gallon fountain drink at some of the gas stations. Is your drive really so far that you need a gallon of Coke?

I took a vacation in Paris last year and in the neighbourhood I stayed (near the Bastille station), the local McDonald's always had a long line of Parisians (yes French, not tourists) from counter to door, while the nearby cafes were practically empty.

The only explanation I could think of was that the breakfast you got at McDonald's was bigger and cheaper than at the cafes. Bigger & cheaper--but not necessarily better. :D

I find that breakfast at Mc D's is such a good deal that eating at a place that is slightly better - but double the price - is just a waste of money. :o

No egg McMuffins are available here in wild and wonderful Thailand, and all this talk of McDonalds breakfast will soon start to get to me. So I ask again please refrain from discussions related to McDonalds breakfasts.

Your assistance in this matter will be greatly appreciated. :D

Sojos in Chiang Mai have pirated copies of Egg Mcmuffins, Sausage Mc Muffins and some other breakfast sandwiches with a choice of English Muffins OR sour dough bisquits.

By the way, Art Cafe in Chiang Mai has REAL Eggs Benedict and it is DELISH!

I took a vacation in Paris last year and in the neighbourhood I stayed (near the Bastille station), the local McDonald's always had a long line of Parisians (yes French, not tourists) from counter to door, while the nearby cafes were practically empty.

The only explanation I could think of was that the breakfast you got at McDonald's was bigger and cheaper than at the cafes. Bigger & cheaper--but not necessarily better. :D

I find that breakfast at Mc D's is such a good deal that eating at a place that is slightly better - but double the price - is just a waste of money. :o

Sojos in Chiang Mai have pirated copies of Egg Mcmuffins, Sausage Mc Muffins and some other breakfast sandwiches with a choice of English Muffins OR sour dough bisquits.

By the way, Art Cafe in Chiang Mai has REAL Eggs Benedict and it is DELISH!

what's eggs benedict?...sum kinda poached eggs on toast wid sauce?

I hate egg whites...ewwweeew...a big yellow dollop in the center with dead chicken embryos, ewwweeeeww...

dey gots to be scrambled...with either choritzo or nopalitos mixed in...loads of salsa and a stack of fresh corn tortillas on the side...

yassuh...

Egg McMuffin? Have you tried those new breakfast sandwiches called McGriddles? They are devine!!!!!! :D

McGriddles are you serious? You must have one heck of a sweet tooth. If I recall correctly from my last visit to the US these are breakfast sandwiches with pancakesque like bread – right?

Another thing that I have noticed since moving to Asia is that US portion sizes are way over the top. We need to learn a little moderation. I mean you can now get like a gallon fountain drink at some of the gas stations. Is your drive really so far that you need a gallon of Coke?

LOL! :o YA, I would agree with that. Lots of portion sizes here in the US are crazy. Most of the time I think the portions could be made smaller, such as they are in LOS. Certain times though, I think Thailand skimps too much on some things. What they consider a large drink in Thailand is merely a small in the US. No need to be so cheap on this. Thailand should make cups bigger. I only drink diet soda anyway so having a really big soda matter nothing to me.

LOL! :o YA, I would agree with that. Lots of portion sizes here in the US are crazy. Most of the time I think the portions could be made smaller, such as they are in LOS. Certain times though, I think Thailand skimps too much on some things. What they consider a large drink in Thailand is merely a small in the US. No need to be so cheap on this. Thailand should make cups bigger. I only drink diet soda anyway so having a really big soda matter nothing to me.

REALLY??

There sizes are much bigger then Oz, there large is like twice the size of our large. And if they are considered a small in the US then no wonder there all fat pricks.

Our large is like Thai's medium (if were lucky)

REALLY??

There sizes are much bigger then Oz, there large is like twice the size of our large. And if they are considered a small in the US then no wonder there all fat pricks.

"then no wonder there all fat pricks"

First of all, learn how to spell and use words correctly. Secondly, that statement shows what an idiot you are man. I'm American and I am far from being fat. There are plenty of overweight people in the US, as there probably is in OZ, but it's certainly not "all of them."

REALLY??

First of all, learn how to spell and use words correctly. Secondly, that statement shows what an idiot you are man. I'm American and I am far from being fat. There are plenty of overweight people in the US, as there probably is in OZ, but it's certainly not "all of them."

Relax bud, we are the second fattest after you guys. Dont take it to heart, im turning into a fatty too so relax.

where did I spell wrong?

REALLY??

Relax bud, we are the second fattest after you guys. Dont take it to heart, im turning into a fatty too so relax.

where did I spell wrong?

So many people make these same mistakes as you do. Lets have a little English lesson here, ok.

When writing in English, but not speaking it, a person can use three different types of this paticular word. The words are:

There

Their

They're

You used "there" like this........"then no wonder there all fat pricks"

In this particular instance, you should have used the spelling "they're" and not "there." What you meant to say was, "then no wonder they are all fat pricks." You see? "They're" is the short way of writing "they are."

When using "there", that is meant to show placement of something.

We went over there.

My jacket, it's over there in the closet.

Then the last one, "their", is meant to show belonging or possesion of something, so to speak.

Those kids, it's their money and they can do what they want with it.

Ya, those monks live a hard life, but it's their life to live.

Rant Over!

I can't believe that anyone still eats at MacDonald's let alone has anything good to say about them.

U.S. and Oz are nations that have serious obesity problems, especially worryingly amongst kids. MacDonald’s sell fat salt and sugar packaged in a way to make it "more-ish". It doesn't taste good and it's not food; it's a commercial product that pretends to be food.

It’s bad enough to see it spread through Europe… (I noted the French resisted it), but now it has come to developing nations. This sort of cultural intrusion I would regard as nothing short of catastrophic….already little round Thai rich kids are clamouring at their parents for more. In countries like China where famine is not a thing of the past, it is not in a parent’s repertoire to refuse kids food…..MacDonald’s and the other fast food companies know this and deliberately aim their products at children. On top of all this the food is not good value for money but people are shamed into paying for it, through pier group pressure.

Shortly after the opening of MacDonald’s on Samui, I was handed a leaflet from them extolling the great nutritional value of their products….this is a cynical distortion of the truth. I could hardly believe my eyes.

Up until recently when you caught the bus from Samui airport to Chaweng there was a huge billboard proclaiming something like “Welcome to Samui and Burger King…Home of the whopper”….people travel half-way round the world in search of a piece of paradise and what do they get? The very same that they were trying to get away from at home. What ever happened to home of the Coconut, coral reef, and Kai Kim?

If you want an idea of what MacDonald’s and its ilk does…look at the average Thai and then look at your own overweight purulent bodies burst veins, clotted arteries and all.

U.S. is now the first modern nation (maybe nation ever) who’s next generation has a lower life expectancy than the current one…..thank you fast food outlets everywhere - the terrorist inside you!

I can't believe that anyone still eats at MacDonald's let alone has anything good to say about them.

I find it difficult to believe that some people still think that they are clever when they come up with this same old malarkey about McDonalds. What a bore.

There is crappy fast food all over the world that is high in fat and sugar, but because it isn't "McDonalds" it seems to be just fine with the PC crowd. Ever heard of fried Fish and Chips, fried Japanese Gyoza, fried Fallafel balls, Kow Mun Guy (the mun is animal fat), and on and on and on? Where's your lecture about them? McDonalds doesn't have the patent on unhealthy foods.

A lot of people enjoy fast foods once in a while with no negative effects, and that is what they are meant for - once in a while. If you don't like them, don't eat them. If you do, try not to get carried away. If you are a pig it is your fault, not Ronald McDonald and not Col. Sanders.

I only eat at McDonalds something like once every 3 months, but it tastes good and I enjoy it when I do! :o

Ulysses, what you forget is that Mac D tell the world that their food is healthy. None of the other junk food companies have that cheek.

How about all the supposed "Health Food" companies that load their foods with trans-fats and sugar and market it as being good for you and people fall for it? They could teach Micky D's a trick or two! :o

Edited by Ulysses G.

I find it difficult to believe that some people still think that they are clever when they come up with this same old malarkey about McDonalds. What a bore.

There is crappy fast food all over the world that is high in fat and sugar, but because it isn't "McDonalds" it seems to be just fine with the PC crowd. Ever heard of fried Fish and Chips, fried Japanese Gyoza, fried Fallafel balls, Kow Mun Guy (the mun is animal fat), and on and on and on? Where's your lecture about them? McDonalds doesn't have the patent on unhealthy foods.

A lot of people enjoy fast foods once in a while with no negative effects, and that is what they are meant for - once in a while. If you don't like them, don't eat them. If you do, try not to get carried away. If you are a pig it is your fault, not Ronald McDonald and not Col. Sanders.

I only eat at McDonalds something like once every 3 months, but it tastes good and I enjoy it when I do! :o

Your apparent ignorance is quite mind-boggling….

I’m talking about the mass production and marketing world-wide of sub-nutritional products…it is not simply the process frying that renders MacDonald’s and other fast food chains so undesirable it is their ingredients and insidious marketing approach, I’m not talking about a particular dish, I’m talking about the manufacture of a product that damages both the customer and the environment and therefore everybody else.

When was the last time you saw a chain of fast food fish and chip shops on Samui or even Japanese Goya? In fact have you ever seen a fish and chip shop? If you had I can’t see how you could make a comparison. As for falafel, they are made from chickpeas and don’t require the destruction of acres of rain forest for cheap beef production.

If you think you are not getting a negative effect by eating only “once in a while” then you are kidding yourself and if you know so little about what you are eating that behaviour will probably be compounded with everything else you eat.

As for being a pig….these companies use flavour enhancers and enhancing aromas to increase the amount of food you buy when you’re there so they actively encourage you to be a pig, something else you seem to be unaware of. This is the kind of lack of personal discretion that leaves people open to exploitation by these multi-national companies.

'wilko' date='2006-06-23 09:13:11' post='790821']

As for falafel, they are made from chickpeas and don’t require the destruction of acres of rain forest for cheap beef production.

So you are against eating beef in general, not just McDonald's hamburgers. You are "Saving the RAINFOREST". :D:D:D

2006-06-23 09:13:11' post='790821']

I’m talking about the mass production and marketing world-wide of sub-nutritional products…it is not simply the process frying that renders MacDonald’s and other fast food chains so undesirable it is their ingredients and insidious marketing approach, I’m not talking about a particular dish, I’m talking about the manufacture of a product that damages both the customer and the environment and therefore everybody else.

I think that you Granlola Boys have been watching a little to much science fiction.

That totally discredited movie farce "Supersize Me" and "Solent Green" spring to mind.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soylent_Green

Oh my God, you have discovered another plot by George W. Bush to destroy the world!!! :o:D :D

Edited by Ulysses G.

As for falafel, they are made from chickpeas and don’t require the destruction of acres of rain forest for cheap beef production.

So you are against eating beef in general, not just McDonald's hamburgers. You are "Saving the RAINFOREST". :D:D:D

I think that you Granlola Boys have been watching a little to much science fiction.

That totally discredited movie farce "Supersize Me" and "Solent Green" spring to mind.

Oh my God, you have discovered another plot by George W. Bush to destroy the world!!! :o:D :D

You write as if you are completely incapable of logical or analytical thought, and consequently can only see the rest of the world as stereotypes and believe by regurgitating these clichés it constitutes some kind of argument…I can assure you that that is not the case. You have jumped to several groundless and illogical conclusions in your reply that only reinforce my initial impressions of you. In fact you have not accurately addressed a single point I made…Oh why on earth am I even bothering to respond to such facile and fatuous response?

:D

I still eat at McDonalds, and have a few good things to say about them. I would venture to guess with the number of restaurants they still have in operation (not to mention the number of new restaurants they are opening) that I am not alone in this category. As for not being able to believe this fact, well I guess that says a little something about your thought process.

U.S. and Oz are nations that have serious obesity problems...

Are you seriously blaming McDonalds and all the other fast food joints for all us fat Americans? Last time I was back home the US was still a free country and everyone was free to stuff their fat faces with what ever they wanted - people make themselves fat thru what they choose to eat. They have about as many options available to them in the US as probably anywhere else in the world. They choose to eat unhealthy diets - up to them.

...especially worryingly amongst kids.

Yes, worrying among kids – more so because it shows a lack of good parenting then anything else.

It doesn't taste good and it's not food; it's a commercial product that pretends to be food.

I disagree, because I think it does taste good and I do consider it food. Should one attempt to survive on a diet of only McDonalds products? Surely not.

On top of all this the food is not good value for money but people are shamed into paying for it, through pier group pressure.

:o

Oh please stop.

Oh yes, pier pressure is the reason I eat at McDonalds.

Oh, yes McDonalds is such the “in” place to eat.

I simply MUST be seen in McDonalds.

Shortly after the opening of MacDonald’s on Samui, I was handed a leaflet from them extolling the great nutritional value of their products….this is a cynical distortion of the truth. I could hardly believe my eyes.

Yea, and there are a million and one get rich quick schemes, and loose 90 lbs in 90 days diet schemes out there as well. But you can not protect people from their own stupidity.

If you want an idea of what MacDonald’s and its ilk does…look at the average Thai and then look at your own overweight purulent bodies burst veins, clotted arteries and all.

I would venture to guess that part of the reason the average Thai is not overweight has a little something to do with the amount of food they eat as well. Some of the more “traditional” Thai dishes contain huge amounts of fat as well and are cooked in tones of oil. Just take a look at some of the more Hi-so Thai. Many of them have put on a few pounds as well. Think this is because they are eating a more western diet? I doubt it – I think it is because they are eating MORE Thai food than the average Thai.

U.S. is now the first modern nation (maybe nation ever) who’s next generation has a lower life expectancy than the current one…..thank you fast food outlets everywhere - the terrorist inside you!

You see we do have a plan on how to fix out social security system.

QUOTE(wilko @ 2006-06-22 15:48:54)

I still eat at McDonalds, and have a few good things to say about them. I would venture to guess with the number of restaurants they still have in operation (not to mention the number of new restaurants they are opening) that I am not alone in this category. As for not being able to believe this fact, well I guess that says a little something about your thought process

Just because a lot of people do something does necessarily justify it as right. Gladiatorial games were very popular in Roman times and cigarettes are still very popular and even have increasing sales in some country, that does not make them OK. As for “I can’t believe” it’s quite a common idiom, I’m surprised you don’t recognize it.

U.S. and Oz are nations that have serious obesity problems...

Are you seriously blaming McDonalds and all the other fast food joints for all us fat Americans?

I don’t think I do that at all, I’m implying that fast food (MacDonald’s et al) is an integral part of US “fat” culture. So why would we want it here?

Last time I was back home the US was still a free country and everyone was free to stuff their fat faces with what ever they wanted - people make themselves fat thru what they choose to eat. They have about as many options available to them in the US as probably anywhere else in the world. They choose to eat unhealthy diets - up to them.

Your freedom to be fat results in many spin offs not least of all health problems, those are paid for by everyone in terms of medical fees, higher insurance fees, loosing the “breadwinner” from a family, inability to be productive and having to be supported by family or state. Others pay when you get fat. You are not alone on this planet. When you stuff your face it affects others. (Not to mention how unpleasant it is to sit for 12 hours on a plane next to some fat person with the resulting B.O. from a life of overeating).

...especially worryingly amongst kids.

Yes, worrying among kids – more so because it shows a lack of good parenting then anything else

And nothing to do with the aggressive advertising aimed at children?

It doesn't taste good and it's not food; it's a commercial product that pretends to be food.

I disagree, because I think it does taste good and I do consider it food. Should one attempt to survive on a diet of only McDonalds products? Surely not.

Taste is somewhat subjective but you must realize that the use of flavour enhancers is a factor in this. Most people nowadays are brought up on a diet of salt and savoury sugar (unlike Thailand) and have come used to a very narrow range of tastes.

On top of all this the food is not good value for money but people are shamed into paying for it, through pier group pressure.

Oh please stop.

Oh yes, pier pressure is the reason I eat at McDonalds.

Oh, yes McDonalds is such the “in” place to eat.

I simply MUST be seen in McDonalds.

The people I was referring to are those in developing countries where the ability to buy MacDonald’s or even have fat kids is a status thing (re- famine). All the same as you probably are aware, many behavioural patterns are the result of pier group pressure, but most people don’t realize how these social mechanisms work on themselves. If you think that being "in" is the only social pressure then even you are probably much more highly susceptible to pier pressure than you think.

Yea, and there are a million and one get rich quick schemes, and loose 90 lbs in 90 days diet schemes out there as well. But you can not protect people from their own stupidity.

So you consider this to be the acceptable face of U.S. capitalism? Justified by a million and one other get-rich-quick schemes?

I would venture to guess that part of the reason the average Thai is not overweight has a little something to do with the amount of food they eat as well. Some of the more “traditional” Thai dishes contain huge amounts of fat as well and are cooked in tones of oil. Just take a look at some of the more Hi-so Thai. Many of them have put on a few pounds as well. Think this is because they are eating a more western diet? I doubt it – I think it is because they are eating MORE Thai food than the average Thai.

Hi -So and increasingly other Thais are leaving traditional Thai diets and eating more and more western style food. (As well as dressing in Western style designer cl;othes etc) Of course if you eat more fat etc you will get fat…every culture has fat people but the general Thai diet is healthier. There is an obsession that fat is the only factor in fast food, this is not my argument, I’m saying that ultra processed food especially prevalent in fast-food chains is what is causing the damage. If you compare south European diet to the North you notice differences caused not by the quantity so much as by what they eat. Such as a predominance of Omega 3 fats as opposed to the omega 6 fats tat are universally present in fast-foods.

You see we do have a plan on how to fix out social security system

I would submit that this is on the contrary not relieving the social security systems at all. As more and more fat related diseases are rendering people incapable of looking after themselves and needing increasing amounts of health care at an ever earlier age, the result is an increasing pressure on health care every where.

First let me say that I am in general agreement with what I think is your main point it – that being the consumption (and even more troubling the fact that the trend is increasing) of processed foods is bad for one’s health.

Basically I agree McDonald food is not health food, but is not exactly killer food either.

Rather than go back and counter point each item, as each post would continue to get quite long. It appears to me that your along with your main point you also feel that peoples health effects society as a whole, and that possibly society needs to take some kind of stand to help people remain healthy. To which there is some validity.

But I think we differ mainly on who should be held accountable. It appears that you feel big business and/or government should take more responsibility for protecting society. I on the other hand feel it is more a personal responsibility. Much of this could depend upon one’s personal feelings in regard to health care (state controlled or not).

I feel that the state has absolutely no obligation to provide ANY level of health care to the populous. I do not feel that the state should be obligated to care for the obesity problems of us fat Americans. We got ourselves into the mess and others should not be responsible for fixing the sad state of our bodies. Along with the personal responsibility of eating at least a somewhat balanced diet also comes the personal responsibility for dealing with the results of not eating healthy. I think this responsibility falls in the lap of the individual and not the state.

as much as i dislike the way mcdonalds try to fill towns in the uk with as many of there restaurants as possible,i am not forced to enter one,& if i do, i am not thinking i am doing my body a favour by tucking into there food.

its the same with a smoker,he or she is generally not thinking about the harmful affects of smoking every time he lights up a ciggy.

maybe peoples denial should be addressed if they are entering a mcdonalds.

You write as if you are completely incapable of logical or analytical thought, and consequently can only see the rest of the world as stereotypes and believe by regurgitating these clichés it constitutes some kind of argument…I can assure you that that is not the case. You have jumped to several groundless and illogical conclusions in your reply that only reinforce my initial impressions of you. In fact you have not accurately addressed a single point I made…

Other than the fact that McDonalds doesn’t serve the world’s healthiest food – which pretty much everyone agrees with - I didn't see one "point" worth addressing.

I saw a laughable diatribe from someone who very possibly communicates with beings from the planet Zarcon through special pink polka-dot earmuffs. :D

someone who very possibly communicates with beings from the planet Zarcon through special pink polka-dot earmuffs.

I think I just tried that....with you.....didn't work....in future I'll restrict my conversations to earth humans rather than their ancestors

First let me say that I am in general agreement with what I think is your main point it – that being the consumption (and even more troubling the fact that the trend is increasing) of processed foods is bad for one’s health.....

It would seem that on the main issues surrounding MacDonald’s we are in broad agreement you just seem worried about who can deal with the resulting problems…..

I don’t think it really matters who takes responsibility for health care but I do think that big business has an obligation to the societies they exist in.

I'm assuming that if you have a heart attack or clogged arteries you won't be able to perform the medical procedures by yourself; this is usually carried out by a doctor in a hospital, who will require payment. Whether state or privately run you will turn to medical insurance to which many people contribute. Not only have they contributed to your treatment, the company in turn is likely to increase its premiums all round to cover this cost.

U.S. pays more per capita than any other country for health care …it matters little whether the money comes via state or private source, it is still part of the economy and part of everyone’s business.

When it comes to big business they are able to use market forces and capital to advantage themselves and disadvantage others. If you move a large store onto an island economy you are able to out bid for land stock etc. then you can sell at ultra low prices forcing local alternatives (choices and competition) out of business. Then when this is complete you can raise your prices and have a large number of people around who have been deprived of their living and can now work for you at a minimum wage. (In Thailand this is about 23 baht an hour)

As human we are a society animal and we have laws and services, how much legislation we have and who organises them is a matter for debate. In a free society they are organised by mutual consent of society. Not even in U.S. is the free market allowed to run untrammelled, as it has been shown that time and time again big business will operate against what is in the best interests of society as a whole. E.G. Ford Pinto or the Tobacco companies.

Edited by wilko

I just ate mcdonalds, I think im addicted too it. Ate a great McOZ burger (you guys prob have no idea) and it tastes so <deleted> good.

Its crap but I just keep going back. It must have something in it that makes you addicted I reckon. I mean other fast food is just as good if not better but most shopping centres that have a mcdonalds, the line kills the other chains by double.

Im suspicous :o

Maybe its all the perservatives

MCD is a godsend around the world in places like Japan and Hong Kong where cheap food is not available. Even if you want to get a cup of coffee in Tokyo, people are thankful for MCDs. In places like airports, MCDs are packed. On some of the busiest interstates worldwide, folks are glad to have an MCD drive thru for a quick pickup while on the run. I am so fed up with MCD bashing. MCDs is massively popular worldwide, which is why they have 30 or 40,000 stores. I have never ever seen an MCD shut down due to lack of business. MCD bashers bore me to tears. I've been to MCDs all around the world and they are popular as all hel_l. This is especially true outside the US. I have yet to see a gun pointed to anyone's head eating there

Edited by monochaser

Hey i eat it ocassionally and sometimes alot (especially when im out on the piss)

But I would love for them to pump a little less perservative in them and yes it is very popular world wide because the advertising is dont very well to kids, we all know most kids get there way these days.

But whats up with a burger not even going off after 3 years :o