Red stamp in Vientiane. Advice needed.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

“Because the translation of the documents required is very expensive”

Well i go married a few weeks back, and i don´t think the Translation cost that much, i only need 1 paper translate, price in Bangkok for that 300 baht.

But yea, total price for it can run up a little bit. Here is what i pay total.

First paper from my home country to say i was ready to married around 2.990 baht

First time at my Embassy 5.300 baht for the paper in Thai and English.

The go and legalized that paper i pay 800 baht (400 baht pr paper for done in a few hours, 200 baht if want to wait 2-3 day)

The go to our Amphoe, get married and pay 100 baht.

And then we legal married in Thailand.

Total price 9.192 baht.

After that my home country want the Thai married paper (Kor Ror 3) Translate to English and legalized so that 300 baht for the translation and 800 baht for the legalized (i want it same day again), because Embassy need both Thai and English married paper.

Then 1000 baht at Embassy for them to stamp it, then send the paper back home, and then my home country will register our married.

So that a additional 300+800+1000 baht = 2.100 baht

So for us total price is 11.292 baht.

Interesting that you chose to register the marriage in your own country.

A legal Thai marriage s recognised in all Western countries.

True, one can marry in an Amphor and not have to pay much more than for an Affirmation of ability to marry, but if you then want to take your new wife back to your home - residence - the costs and effort required escalate considerably depending on your destination.

Well now, a Brit, who residence is in Spain, marries a Thai in BKK and does all of the above plus police clearance cert + health cert + translated marriage cert validated by a BKK Law firm nominated by the Spanish FO in Madrid and the Spanish Emb can legalize the marriage and issue a 90 day EEA family member visa.

Travel to Spain and complete her registration as a resident of Spain. For this the Spanish FO now require their Madrid FO to stamp the already legalized marriage cert AND then it must be "Recognized" by the Brit Consul in Malaga - this requires a personal visit where both parties swear oaths on the bible to the effect that they are formally married and do live together. Cost of this "Recognition" 243 Euros.

Add to that the cost of sending the original translated marriage cert to Madrid by courier plus FO fees, about another 150 Euros. The drive and overnight stay near the Brit consul..... etc, etc.

During the process I got the idea that they make it up as they go along LOL

I forgot to mention that the only copy of the marriage cert that the BKK Law firm would accept was a photo copy made by the Amphor and stamped as such by them - back to the Amphor to get that copy LOL What's that you have in your hand - the original marriage cert but we can't use that one......

I would hate to tabulate the actual costs and travel times needed to get the whole job done.

During the process in Thailand, my wife started to worry that there were so many hoops for us to jump through that I would get bored and we would break up!

Thank goodness that I am retired and was happy to follow through on the paperwork.

It's great now because my wife has a Spanish resident ID Card that is valid for 5 years.

No 90 day reporting, can come and go as she requires, even alone, no more visas or re-entry permits.

Subsequent renewal should be routine same as for me and the Spanish and should cost about 10.40 Euros.

Oh yea, and has full NHS cover, same as me.

Despite all this, British Border Control refused her a general visitor visa for a 3 week holiday in the UK to visit my family. They suggested that she was not sufficiently attached to Spain, would overstay and require financial assistance from the UK Gov!

So I imagine that if we had decided to settle in the UK the costs would be more because of the necessary schooling to learn to speak, read and write English to the Pass level and to learn the knowledge necessary to pass the Knowledge test.

I was told that one of the questions was: what % of the UK population is Jewish?

Well, please introduce me to the genius who could answer that correctly!

There are now training courses, books etc to assist foreigners to pass this.

Conclusion: Maybe the OP has a point about the costs.....

Other say all ready, one do not need work permit for open a bank account, it is true some bank branch say so, walk on to the next branch and ask again.

Proof of residency from Immigration cost is different, at Nonthaburi Immigration it is free..

Interesting that you chose to register the marriage in your own country.

A legal Thai marriage s recognised in all Western countries.

It is really not that interesting, that the way it is in my home country (Denmark)

It is also because i want to secure my wife if one day i am not here any more, So she get her fair part of what i leave behind.

Also i get a good tax deduction every year in my home country where i still pay my tax if Married is register back home.

My interpretation is as follows:

The Consulate is in doubt if the OP is really travelling Thailand as a tourist. As a tourist he should have a home outside of Thailand und an income from somewhere - not from Thailand. Hence they request him to show proof of his address and his income and make this a condition for later tourist visa approvals.

Regards

Thedi

"As a tourist he should have a home outside of Thailand and an income from somewhere - not from Thailand. "

That thought came to me too. Typically the in-country residence of someone claiming to be a tourist would be a hotel or other tourist-type accommodation and any evidence of income/financial resources would be cash/t-cheques/regular foreign sourced deposits in a bank etc.

I would think if he shows he's staying at someone's house for an extended time that would not support his application for a tourist visa and if he has no evidence of foreign sourced financial support that wouldn't help either.

i did not read all replies, sorry, but PROOF OF RESIDENCY costs 500thb and can be obtained at immigration police.

the first time i needed it i went to immigration with a thai friend who declared i lived at his place. i renew the document every year to get a re-newed motorcycle dl (they don't give me a 5 year dl since i'm here on TR visas now) and simply called my friend from immigration police and he spoke with the officer.

it's no big deal...

i opened a bank account years ago. i had NON-IMM-O then but my gf had tourist visas and opened one too. the non-imm-o i received after showing my savings account (home bank). i was 36 years old at that time. some people here keep on saying that this is impossible, well trust me, i got 1 year multiple entry non-o without being married or having thai gf.

I am very interested on that non-o visa that you got, could you tell me where you got it and with what documents? I would be very grateful if you post it or if you put a message for me... wai.gif

i did not read all replies, sorry, but PROOF OF RESIDENCY costs 500thb and can be obtained at immigration police.

the first time i needed it i went to immigration with a thai friend who declared i lived at his place. i renew the document every year to get a re-newed motorcycle dl (they don't give me a 5 year dl since i'm here on TR visas now) and simply called my friend from immigration police and he spoke with the officer.

it's no big deal...

i opened a bank account years ago. i had NON-IMM-O then but my gf had tourist visas and opened one too. the non-imm-o i received after showing my savings account (home bank). i was 36 years old at that time. some people here keep on saying that this is impossible, well trust me, i got 1 year multiple entry non-o without being married or having thai gf.

I am very interested on that non-o visa that you got, could you tell me where you got it and with what documents? I would be very grateful if you post it or if you put a message for me... wai.gif

I suspect you will find that the non-o mentioned is longer no available and certainly not from any nearby location.

I suggest you make your next trip for a visa to Savannakhet instead of Vientiane and have some financial proof ready.

it's no big deal...

I suspect you will find that the non-o mentioned is longer available and certainly not from any nearby location.

I suggest you make your next trip for a visa to Savannakhet instead of Vientiane and have some financial proof ready.

Hi, i'm not sure about your post, i think you want say "is no longer available"... Could you confirm it?

And i think this is my last question, you talk about having financial proof ready, mi doubt is if i have to present that proof even i'm not required to do it (i had copys of my bank passbook in this last application, but no submited them because not was requested to do, is this an error?)

Edited by AaronIsaan

Sorry missed the no. They have tightened up on non-o's the last few years.

I suggest you attach financial proof to your application instead of waiting for it to be asked for. If you had done it last time you might not have that red stamp.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I suggest you attach financial proof to your application instead of waiting for it to be asked for. If you had done it last time you might not have that red stamp.

Just to add a little.

Any financial "proof" should clearly indicate that the funds originate from outside Thailand.

It is ironic, Thai immigration requires 400000 Baht savings for marriage visa or 800000 Baht for retirement visa when the average monthly salary is 8000 (construction worker) to 15000 (nurses) for most Thais. 10000 Baht per month would be more than enough to live in Isaan. Only doctors and lawyers earn 400000+ per year in Thailand.

Edited by Timwin

It is ironic, Thai immigration requires 400000 Baht savings for marriage visa or 800000 Baht for retirement visa when the average monthly salary is 8000 (construction worker) to 15000 (nurses) for most Thais. 10000 Baht per month would be more than enough to live in Isaan. Only doctors and lawyers earn 400000+ per year in Thailand.

It is not difficult to find foreigners who quite clearly cannot manage to live on 8-10000 bht .month!

It is not difficult to find foreigners who quite clearly cannot manage to live on 8-10000 bht .month!

It is not difficult to find Thais who cannot quite clearly manage to live on 8000-10000 Baht per month. Why are you so interested in other people's visas? They certainly do not need your not-so-hidden moralizing remarks.

Visa runs are a big business in Thailand. Visa run companies (run by Thais btw), minibus drivers, border controls, passport&form fillers and runners, restaurants and gas stations on the way, hotels in Laos and Cambodia. Money changes hands in a quite of lot of places.

Even overstay is good for business, 20000 Baht is equal to 22 tourist visas issued and that has to be paid after only 40 days of overstay. A border control earns easily hundreds of thousand of Baht from overstayers every month. Bigger ones many millions.

• 10 months later...

And do you confirm that 20.000 THB in a Thai bank account would be accepted as financial proof as suggested on this thread?

And do you confirm that 20.000 THB in a Thai bank account would be accepted as financial proof as suggested on this thread?

the 20k baht is what the rules state for getting a visa.

In the case of them wanting financial proof after after having visas in the past from them it should be proof that you have a regular income from abroad before applying for another visa.

Out of curiosity:

if I get legally married with a thai lady in Thailand and we break up, does she have any rights on my assets in my country of origin (EU)?

Cheers

If it goes to court, the judge will generally adjudicate both parties 50% of the assets accumulated during the marriage. See this topic in the forum "Ask the Lawyer:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/723058-is-it-really-5050-in-a-thaifalang-divorce/?p=7767317

We are really off topic here with your question. If you need more information, please post in the forum "Marriage and divorce"

• Like 1