New to linux

steve187

Hi i have been looking at linux for a number of years, but this year i took the plunge.

I read up quite a bit and downloaded linux mint 16 kde, as well as zorin os 8.1 after a lot of grief making a windows/linux duel boot with a uefi bios, i finally installed zorin 64 bit version on a seperate harddrive.

My experiences so far have been really pleasing, i have been able to do all that i require on the system. I have installed a brother mfc j415w printer, it took some working out but i got there after a few days of reading and experimenting . I think thats me done with windows

My system is an i7 2600, 6gb ram in a coolermaster haf case

• Like 2

Congratulations and welcome to the fold

Linux takes a little bit of getting used to but I am sure it will not be long before you are wishing you had done it sooner

sent from my Internet aware non fruity mobile device

• 1 month later...

Congratulations and wrlcome to the wotld of Linux

The first few months can be daunting as you climb the learning curve but you will find plenty of friends here willing to offer help and advice.

sent from my Internet aware non fruity mobile device

I've been using Ubuntu for a few years, but stll cannot shake the notorious "Distrohopperitis" which seems to arise everytime I get a small dose of Distrowatch.

Fedora, Slackware, Peppermint, Debian, Parsix, Bodhi, Pinguy, you name it, been there....

Even got my granddaughter on board with Ubuntu using Libre Office for school stuff..." it's just easier to use" she told me when I asked after her Windows 7 'puter crashed.

I still use Windows, why...don't know.

Yesterday, nothing to do...humm, got this old P4 with the 'buntu ( 12.04 ) on and by the end of the day, it now is running Zorin 8.1, Mint 16 & Ubuntu 14.04. Damn... and I kept looking at that dvd with Kubuntu sitting over here. ( had Zorin 8 Mini on it for around an hour..)

Be careful, don't end up like me....

XBMC has taken away some of this pain ( tinkeritis ) but a blank dvd will send me into a frenzy.

I've been using Ubuntu for a few years, but stll cannot shake the notorious "Distrohopperitis" which seems to arise everytime I get a small dose of Distrowatch.

Fedora, Slackware, Peppermint, Debian, Parsix, Bodhi, Pinguy, you name it, been there....

Even got my granddaughter on board with Ubuntu using Libre Office for school stuff..." it's just easier to use" she told me when I asked after her Windows 7 'puter crashed.

I still use Windows, why...don't know.

Yesterday, nothing to do...humm, got this old P4 with the 'buntu ( 12.04 ) on and by the end of the day, it now is running Zorin 8.1, Mint 16 & Ubuntu 14.04. Damn... and I kept looking at that dvd with Kubuntu sitting over here. ( had Zorin 8 Mini on it for around an hour..)

Be careful, don't end up like me....

XBMC has taken away some of this pain ( tinkeritis ) but a blank dvd will send me into a frenzy.

Blank dvd?!?!?

Unetbootin and a thumbdrive my good sir!

And you are welcome for helping your habit. :D

• Like 1