Water Bill - 4000 baht!

Just got my water bill and it was over 4000 baht! This seems way too much. I do water my garden twice a day for about 1 hour the first time and 30 min the second time. The kids have been filling a little swimming pool too. I thought 900 baht was bad last month but 4000 seems over the top.

How big is your garden and how much tdo you pay for water?

Just went through that last month with a 4000 baht water bill, normally 100-200 Baht. When I investigated I could hear the meter spinning from the street to the house. Not a drop leaking in the house or on the outside taps. Conclusion, underground leak and had to put new pvc in above ground as the pipes to the house were underground with concrete over them due to an extension built by the house owners making it impossible to get to them.

• Like 2

As a contrast: in the village tap water comes from a deep well (Tessaban operates it).

Costs 5 Baht/cubicmeter and we never had a bill more than 70 Baht or so.

Edited by KhunBENQ

To add to my post, I assume you have a meter, just check and see if it is spinning with all water turned off. If it is, than certainly an underground leak.

I did Tywais and it is not spinning. I am in Khon Kaen city. The hose could be on for 3 hours a day and a decent pressure.

To add to my post, I assume you have a meter, just check and see if it is spinning with all water turned off. If it is, than certainly an underground leak.

I did Tywais and it is not spinning. I am in Khon Kaen city. The hose could be on for 3 hours a day and a decent pressure.

Doing a very primitive calculation. Let's say when the hose is on it uses 1 cubic meter (1 unit) of water in 10 minutes. At 3 hours that would be 18 units/day. For 30 days then 540 units in a month. That could easily reach 4000 Baht as that is nearly the number of units when I had the problem and the cost.

Easy to check. Write down your meter reading before turning on the hose, run it for 3 hours exactly then read the meter again. Take the difference and multiply by 30 and that will give you an approximate number of units per month if you do this watering daily.

• Like 1

I put new sod in part of the yard last month. I paid my bill today it was over 1,100 baht the woman who took my money ask how could I possibily use that much water she was sympathetic about the cost. I told her i watered the garden a lot last month.. She still thought it was a lot . So can see why 4,000 raises questions.

Sure, 4000 THB is a lot. How were the bills in earlier months?

We also had a high amount on a water bill, but assumed it was a wrong low reading in the month before and then a correct reading the next, leading to a higher than normal bill.

• 2 months later...

That is nothing. My GF and I have a 4 room guesthouse. Our normal water bill is around 800thb a month. We just got our bill today and it is 8890thb! This is compounded by the fact that our electric bill jumoed from 3000thb a month when the guesthouse is full to 9800 last month with only 1 room booked! What in the hell is going on? No leaks for the water and the no one even read the electric meter! How can they lawfully do this?

Edited by KhunDude

In my city house my normal water bill is about 150 baht/month. When I start watering the garden and lawn from October to May it increases to between 500-800 baht/month. My section is small at 800 sq m. Up the road my friend's 1600 sq m section costs over 3,000 baht in the dry season. The problem is what to do. Have a dry garden and plants dying, put in underground watering just forthe garden (capital costs plus monthly increases in electricity), store rain water for dry season garden watering or plant drought resistant plants and forget about the green lawn. I like the latter.

You think you have problem's,on Thai tv 3-4 days ago some unfortunate person had a water bill of 1,8000.000 bart ,nedless to say the authority's are lookin in to it.

I tink it is a bit more than someone needs new batteries in they calculator.