Krabi resort closes doors, police seeking arrest warrant

webfact

Krabi resort closes doors, police seeking arrest warrant
Phuket Gazette

1_201443185850562_QUCgMklGKdbWADUASLBekR
The Phupranang Resort, which turned away 50 prepaid guests has closed its doors, as police search for the managing director. Photo: Kritsada Mueanhawong

PHUKET: -- Police are seeking an arrest warrant for the managing director of a Krabi resort that recently turned away 50 guests with prepaid bookings.

"An arrest warrant for Managing Director Prateep Kaewnont is imminent," said Krabi Police Superintendent Phrutthipong Nutchanart said.

Nitikorn Pissawong, one of two employees assigned by the owner to look after the Phuphranang Resort, explained that the owner, Peera Damrongmahasawat, was last known to be in Bangkok.

“The resort has been open for about nine years,” Mr Nitikorn said. “Mr Peera managed it for the first four years, and then rented it out to Mr Prateep for the last five.”

“Mr Prateep has not paid his rent or the employees’ salaries for the last five months,” Mr Nitikorn said, adding that Mr Peera had already brought a suit against Mr Prateep.

After Mr Peera heard the news about the tourists who had been turned away, he decided to close the resort, rather than risk continued bad press and potential financial liability, Mr Nitikorn added.

“Mr Peera tried to contact Mr Prateep but couldn’t. No one knows where Mr Prateep is now.”

The police investigation is ongoing.

— Kritsada Mueanhawong

Source: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Krabi-resort-closes-doors-police-seeking-arrest/29035

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2014-04-04

I would hardly call it a resort, it looks more like a dingy dirty cheap hotel

In Thailand, use of the word "resort" does not guarantee any standard of luxury. Not unusual at all a row of straw&bamboo huts plus a restaurant made of driftwood is called the so and so resort. At the other hand, a "guesthouse" might have a swimming pool and rooms with all the frills.

Up here in my neck of the woods a resort is a "love hotel". Three hours 200 Baht. All night 300 Baht. So I've been told of course.

D@mn !!!

Pimay where are you?

I think live in the wrong "neck of the woods". I am told (not that I have receipted proof, of course) that here it is 300 Baht for 4 hours

Edited by farangbanok

Krabi resort fraud case goes nationwide, hundreds file complaints
Phuket Gazette

1_2014410103051511_FNnOujVXcFnvNkyukZAjq
Fifty tourists were turned away by the resort, even though they had already paid for their rooms. Photo: Kritsada Mueanhawong

PHUKET: -- At least 231 victims have stepped up to file police complaints against the Phu Pranang Resort in Krabi, across Phang Nga Bay from Phuket.

The flood of complaints comes after 50 tourists were turned away by the resort earlier this month. The travellers bought low-cost package tours, but were left stranded after they were refused check-in by resort staff, who said the hotel was overbooked (story here).

After hearing the news, the owner of the resort, Peera Damrongmahasawat, closed its doors to avoid any more bad press and potential financial liability (story here).

“This case is going nationwide. In Krabi alone, we have received complaints from 231 people. This can amount to millions of baht in damages,” Col Witaya Maksai, Krabi Police Investigation chief, told the Phuket Gazette.

“Other victims are filing complaints against the resort through Consumer Protection Police [CPPD] in Bangkok.”

Krabi Police have yet to request a warrant for the arrest of the Phu Pranang Resort’s managing director, Prateep Kaewnont.

“We have yet to receive conclusive information from CCPD about how much the damages amount to, but I believe we will be able to conclude with our investigations and obtain the warrant by the end of the month,” Col Witaya said.

— Chutharat Plerin

Source: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Krabi-resort-fraud-case-goes-nationwide-hundreds/29100#ad-image-0

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2014-04-10

One has to guess...how many stars did they reward themselves to go along with the title- Resort?

Terrible place by appearance alone.

Glad to see it's off the market.

Lost in translation perhaps?

Last weekend I was out in the sticks, stayed at a place that called itself a "boutique resort", jesus wept there was nothing even remotely boutique about it. I've seen Backpacker hostels that are in better condition!

Krabi resort fraud case goes nationwide, hundreds file complaints

Phuket Gazette

1_2014410103051511_FNnOujVXcFnvNkyukZAjq

Fifty tourists were turned away by the resort, even though they had already paid for their rooms. Photo: Kritsada Mueanhawong

PHUKET: -- At least 231 victims have stepped up to file police complaints against the Phu Pranang Resort in Krabi, across Phang Nga Bay from Phuket.

The flood of complaints comes after 50 tourists were turned away by the resort earlier this month. The travellers bought low-cost package tours, but were left stranded after they were refused check-in by resort staff, who said the hotel was overbooked (story here).

After hearing the news, the owner of the resort, Peera Damrongmahasawat, closed its doors to avoid any more bad press and potential financial liability (story here).

“This case is going nationwide. In Krabi alone, we have received complaints from 231 people. This can amount to millions of baht in damages,” Col Witaya Maksai, Krabi Police Investigation chief, told the Phuket Gazette.

“Other victims are filing complaints against the resort through Consumer Protection Police [CPPD] in Bangkok.”

Krabi Police have yet to request a warrant for the arrest of the Phu Pranang Resort’s managing director, Prateep Kaewnont.

“We have yet to receive conclusive information from CCPD about how much the damages amount to, but I believe we will be able to conclude with our investigations and obtain the warrant by the end of the month,” Col Witaya said.

— Chutharat Plerin

Source: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Krabi-resort-fraud-case-goes-nationwide-hundreds/29100#ad-image-0

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2014-04-10

231. I would assume these are thais who have read the story. I wonder how many farangs who have since left the country were effected also

I would hardly call it a resort, it looks more like a dingy dirty cheap hotel

It is the "Last Resort"

cheesy.gif I stayed in this place, wife booked the trip. It is the last resort and it smelled like piss because staff don't use the john and piss outside against the building.

They are a booking trap for Thai and foreign tourists. Some amazing shit going on here in the kingdom, one certainly starts realizing this when making a personal experience like this.

After this we went to Koh Lipe and sat with our butts on a beautiful island (2500 baht per night resort) in the middle of rotting garbage, plastic bags, mouldy mattresses in the bushes.

Of course I don't like this but I can oversee and handle this and go on with my life, but for people who payed a handsome $5000+ who come spend their hard deserved holiday from abroad this becomes a different matter.

Isn't it time to get a grip TAT?wai2.gif

Cheers

Ah lovely Phuket.....world renowned 1st class tourist destination.

Best check your map. Krabi is a different Province from Phuket

True. I've had people whose opinion I trusted recommend Krabi as a place with absolutely wonderful beaches. Unfortunately, I am not a sun and sand kind of guy.

One has to guess...how many stars did they reward themselves to go along with the title- Resort?

Terrible place by appearance alone.

Glad to see it's off the market.

Lost in translation perhaps?

Last weekend I was out in the sticks, stayed at a place that called itself a "boutique resort", jesus wept there was nothing even remotely boutique about it. I've seen Backpacker hostels that are in better condition!

I used to have only 2 words to be wary of, Resort and Mansion.

Perhaps I need to add Boutique to that list, and be doubly wary if it is used in combination with one of the other 2.