Worst Thing In Bangkok

eric1000

A security guard who will watch you put a lot of effort into parking your car into a really tight spot and then when you're finally done tell you you can't park there.

Or when you walk into the hair salon and ask for your regular hairdresser and they ask you to sit down, then when you ask 20 minutes later "how long till my hairdresser shows up" they say "oh him no work today".

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I admit I only stayed in Bangkok for 4 weeks in Jan and Feb this year.

But I really couldn't find anything worth complaining about.

For a foriegner who did not speak a work of Thai and had never left US before. I found it very easy to go anywhere safely and without much trouble.

Thanks BTS. I went anywhere I wanted alone safely, could never do this in my own city Philadelphia, there are places I wouldn't last 5 minjutes there.

For me, I love Bangkok and will return this April.

Phillyherb

Maybe not the worst, but a story from Bangkok! :o

I sit in a Taxi 5.00pm last week. Somewhere beetween World trade center

and Khaosan road, a policemean who was placed for handle the trafficjam see a farang without seatbelts and he jumped into the street and stopped the taxi and wanted 1000 bath from me because I not used seatbelt. I look over my shoulder and there was no belt in the taxi. He dont care about this and still want 1000 bath.

I refuse to pay and he asked me how much I will pay him now or go to policestation and pay 1000. I still refuse to pay and he go down to 500 now or 1000 in the policestation. The price fall and the trafficjam get bigger and bigger. After nearly 30 minutes with arguing and price fall to 50 bath I take my camera (without film) and make flash and tell him to jump in the Taxi and I pay 1000 in policestation and report him for corruption. Then he get really mad and want the film. I said I want 1000 bath for the film. He get more and more angry and so do the thousends of car behind us.

After nearly 45 minutes I told him that I will give him the film if he forget about the "fine". Ok my friend! I told he was not my friend and show him that the camera not have film. He get more angry because I joked him, but at same time six more police came for handle the traficjam he made. I pay the taxidriver and leave the place with a tuktuk and I will never forget How much problem a single stupid greedy corrupt policeman can make.

pay the taxidriver and leave the place with a tuktuk and I will never forget How much problem a single stupid greedy corrupt policeman can make.

I have to say such kind of situation is not that common for at least two reasons:

1. How could the policeman speak in ENGLISH to you fo 45 minutes

2. 45 minutes are a LOT of lost opportunities and they are usually not that patient

1) Traffic jams. Not quite 24hrs but surkumvit is about 18hrs.

2) Pollution. Namely Diesel and 2 stroke oil. I understand there is a concern about exhaust fumes and they are spot checking. Don't make me laugh just stop all buses, tuk tuks, trucks and taxis...... problem solved.

3) Loud drunk tourist slobs/businessmen. Yes thats the obvious group and not so obvious, in a suit slob that seems to be getting more popular.

4) Jumping traffic lights. You would not believe how many accidents I have seen and how many traffic jams are made by ignoring the lights.

5) Corrupt Police. Ok I understand they have to get some to increase the sorry salary they are paid but could'nt they rota the collection days a bit. It pisses me off to get stopped more than twice in a day at the beginning of the month.

6) Smelly farang on the BTS/Bus. It is disgusting on a hot day and easy to remedy. Shower when you are hot and sweaty then change clothes before you go out !

:o

pay the taxidriver and leave the place with a tuktuk and I will never forget How much problem a single stupid greedy corrupt policeman can make.

I have to say such kind of situation is not that common for at least two reasons:

1. How could the policeman speak in ENGLISH to you fo 45 minutes

2. 45 minutes are a LOT of lost opportunities and they are usually not that patient

A troller or a guy with a vivid imagination I think :o

Bangkok, for all its faults is a wonderful city. At least you can feel remotely safe there. As well as getting far too drunk and not worry bout getting dumped somewhere by a cabbie because you look like you might puke in his cab. Now try getting drunk at 2am in central london, and count in minutes how long it'll take to get mugged. :o

Another nasty thing is to get caught in a gas station toilet ( thai style ) with a belly full of hot thai food waiting to make it's exit. It's hot smelly and no toilet paper in sight. You can not wait any longer so you just have to let it rip.

That's when I learned my lesson, never leave the hotel with out TP!

Jim

The only thing I hate about Bkk is the feeling you get as you aproach the airport for the journey home,,,,, :o

A sickening feeling right in the bottom of your guts :D

I am told, that sinking feeling, shouldnt happen until you get on the plane as Bangers International has a very good "barba shop" (no sheep jokes) - my mate seems to get his hair cut there everytime he is in the airport - hes bald :D:D

Maybe not the worst, but a story from Bangkok! :D

I sit in a Taxi 5.00pm last week. Somewhere beetween World trade center

and Khaosan road, a policemean who was placed for handle the trafficjam see a farang without seatbelts and he jumped into the street and stopped the taxi and wanted 1000 bath from me because I not used seatbelt. I look over my shoulder and there was no belt in the taxi. He dont care about this and still want 1000 bath.

I refuse to pay and he asked me how much I will pay him now or go to policestation and pay 1000. I still refuse to pay and he go down to 500 now or 1000 in the policestation. The price fall and the trafficjam get bigger and bigger. After nearly 30 minutes with arguing and price fall to 50 bath I take my camera (without film) and make flash and tell him to jump in the Taxi and I pay 1000 in policestation and report him for corruption. Then he get really mad and want the film. I said I want 1000 bath for the film. He get more and more angry and so do the thousends of car behind us.

After nearly 45 minutes I told him that I will give him the film if he forget about the "fine". Ok my friend! I told he was not my friend and show him that the camera not have film. He get more angry because I joked him, but at same time six more police came for handle the traficjam he made. I pay the taxidriver and leave the place with a tuktuk and I will never forget How much problem a single stupid greedy corrupt policeman can make.

Lovely story ! :o

People not moving on the esculators, and the general obliviousness of the indivudual Thai, to someone who wants to move faster than them.

The Thai perspective, worst thing about Bangkok:

Fat farang trying to push their way past us on the escalators and footpaths, and the way they stink because

a.) They don't even understand how to catch a proper, new cab with functioning aircon (what's up with the tuk-tuks and beaten up taxis who are infallably driven by Roi Et newcomers without a clue of city geography)

b.) They're too kee niaow to even catch a taxi

c.) Haven't figured out that the Thai climate requires a pace change, and a mood change in order to be bearable

d.) Don't understand they should shower more than once per day

:o

How true !... :D