400-600 Baht Hotels?

magic

Do you want cheap, but airconditioned? I'm spending 330 per night at Inthanin Hotel, 14 Morakot Road, Muban Santitham, tel 053-215514. That's about a kilo north of Kad San Kaew. UBC cable almost all in Thai.

Nothing wrong with Top North, either; its former assistant GM got me this place at the Inthanin, and the tuktuk driver last night knew right where to bring me home. However, at any place below 500 baht and outside the obvious tourist areas, don't expect them to speak or read English.

any recommendations. Not looking for guest houses really..

Always wondered - what's the difference between a small hotel and a large guesthouse?

Quality of course..... price, environment, service...etc... difference? got to check it out

Top North Hotel right at the Tapae gate. 600 Baht with swimming pool ! can't beat the location.

Yeah, very good location, just make sure there's no green algae before you dive in the pool :o

Top North Hotel right at the Tapae gate. 600 Baht with swimming pool ! can't beat the location.

Yeah, very good location, just make sure there's no green algae before you dive in the pool :D

There is normally a nice bit of farang totty around the pool.Not that I was looking... :o

> Always wondered - what's the difference between a small hotel

> and a large guesthouse?

Sometimes none at all. For some places (Lai Thai for example) the sign in English says 'Lai Thai Guesthouse', the sign in Thai says "Lai Thai Hotel". Same I think for that "Northlands" place in Moon Muang soi........ 7(?) So there you go.

Personally I would also take the general vibe into consideration. Hotels tend to be more about privacy, guesthouses more about Western/Japanese travellers hanging out. As soon as hotels charge more than 300 baht or so they WILL cram in a tiny old TV and an ancient little fridge. Guesthouses in that range don't bother with that and focus on a rustic/"thai" decoration of the room, bamboo stuff on the wall, etc.

But there will always be crossover places. Not the Lai Thai which I think is a hotel, period, no matter what the sign says. Same for the Galare "Guesthouse" on the river: Hotel.

But in Bangkok for example you have the EXCELLENT Suk11 "hostel" which gives you a very very clean private room with a great bed, cold cold airconditioning, bathroom. But no TV and no fridge. (They have a big TV a community room, along with a big fridge and microwave) So the vibe is different, I always end up enjoying myself immensely there because it is so conductive to meeting people. Reminds me of my backpacking days, but without the crap dirty rooms and attitude.. (To complete this infomercial let me state they include a basic Euro breakfast and that they're right at the BTS Skytrain in Soi 11. www.suk11.com :o )

> Always wondered - what's the difference between a small hotel

> and a large guesthouse?

Sometimes none at all. For some places (Lai Thai for example) the sign in English says 'Lai Thai Guesthouse', the sign in Thai says "Lai Thai Hotel". Same I think for that "Northlands" place in Moon Muang soi........ 7(?) So there you go.

Personally I would also take the general vibe into consideration. Hotels tend to be more about privacy, guesthouses more about Western/Japanese travellers hanging out. As soon as hotels charge more than 300 baht or so they WILL cram in a tiny old TV and an ancient little fridge. Guesthouses in that range don't bother with that and focus on a rustic/"thai" decoration of the room, bamboo stuff on the wall, etc.

But there will always be crossover places. Not the Lai Thai which I think is a hotel, period, no matter what the sign says. Same for the Galare "Guesthouse" on the river: Hotel.

But in Bangkok for example you have the EXCELLENT Suk11 "hostel" which gives you a very very clean private room with a great bed, cold cold airconditioning, bathroom. But no TV and no fridge. (They have a big TV a community room, along with a big fridge and microwave) So the vibe is different, I always end up enjoying myself immensely there because it is so conductive to meeting people. Reminds me of my backpacking days, but without the crap dirty rooms and attitude.. (To complete this infomercial let me state they include a basic Euro breakfast and that they're right at the BTS Skytrain in Soi 11. www.suk11.com :D )

Does Lai Thai still have that sign stuck to the counter that reads 'if you stain the sheets you will have to pay 50 baht?' or words to that effect? :D:o:D

Yeah, very good location, just make sure there's no green algae before you dive in the pool :D

There is normally a nice bit of farang totty around the pool.Not that I was looking... :o

You must like your women XXXL from what I have seen next to that pool.

• 3 months later...

May I revive this one? Coming to CM to look around and I hope identify a house to rent long term. Am looking for a hotel/guest house. Priorities are charm (hotel and location), size of the room and connectability tointernet for my lap top. It doesn't have to be central as I'll have my car. I anticipate staying a fortnight or so - first time to CM and want to get a feel for it and environs. Thanks

cd

Yeah, very good location, just make sure there's no green algae before you dive in the pool :o

Not to forget crocodiles or hippos, you just never know (because they won't tell you), what has escaped from the Night-Safari this week ! :D

Not so suitable for a car but heard great things on a new place in Ratchadamnoen Soi 1.

This one : http://www.minicostcm.com/

Another great example of a place calling itself a guesthouse, but actually being closer to a small / boutique hotel. Nice eh?

It's less suitable if you have a car because parkign in Ratchdamnoen Soi 1 would be nightmarish at best. :o If you have a car however you can stay just about anywhere out of the way of course. Still, Top North Hotel (not to be confused with Top North Guesthouse) has a good parking lot I think.

Cheers,

Chanchao

Not so suitable for a car but heard great things on a new place in Ratchadamnoen Soi 1.

This one : http://www.minicostcm.com/

Another great example of a place calling itself a guesthouse, but actually being closer to a small / boutique hotel. Nice eh?

It's less suitable if you have a car because parkign in Ratchdamnoen Soi 1 would be nightmarish at best. :o If you have a car however you can stay just about anywhere out of the way of course. Still, Top North Hotel (not to be confused with Top North Guesthouse) has a good parking lot I think.

Cheers,

Chanchao

chanchao

thanks a lot. the minicost site gives no info on prices or the variety of rooms - i've emailed them for this info just now.

am going to google for top north hotel too and look into that.

so far i've found that the vuanghua mansions gives me all i want (including even a kitchen which will obviate a bit of expense and hassle occasionally); the flora apartments look ok, but i've asked about internet connexions, and if they're not good it'll rule that out. if the minicostcom is much cheaper i might go for it - i say much because the vuanghua gives me a an exercise room too (as well as the kitchen and big room).

yes i'd happily take a place out of town - with my car and so on - if i can save money. do you know of a suitable place for a month or so? but in any case, thanks for passing on the info you have already.