Golf membership - Its just not worth it

scubascuba3

Golfs better without a caddy, its called exercise. Unfortunately no chance of that in Thailand, so back on topic..would be good to hear who has done the sums.

Your opinion. Caddies make the game more fun sometimes. As to exercise, it's called a gym. Find one. use it.

Golf and exercise in the same sentence...55555555555555555555555555555555555555
My 77 year old father would dispute the fact that Golf is not exercise and the sad fact is that he still hits sub 45 for nine holes and my brother is a 5 handicap. Still I like the 'excercise' with my military golf I cover more than a few kilometres (Signed 'The Black Sheep of the Family)
Yep its definitely exercise and on my course in the UK its 4-4.5km and calories is around 700 calories if you walk, more if you carry, I've used different apps to measure and it varies between 600 and 1200 which seems too high.

Funny I just looked up the official definition of exercise and its

1. bodily or mental exertion, especially for the sake of training or improvement of health: Walking is good exercise.

Surprised it said that but walking up and down hill 4-5 miles a few times a week has got to be good.

It's all relative as to one expect from exercise and one's fitness level. There's no denying that walking 7-8 km consists of some exercise and is not bad for a relatively sedentary person. That being said, I would consider myself in poor physical shape if I relied on golf to get exercise. Currently, I consider it a game like bowling or playing cards but when I'm 70 or 80, it may very well be a significant part of my exercise.

It's all relative as to one expect from exercise and one's fitness level. There's no denying that walking 7-8 km consists of some exercise and is not bad for a relatively sedentary person. That being said, I would consider myself in poor physical shape if I relied on golf to get exercise. Currently, I consider it a game like bowling or playing cards but when I'm 70 or 80, it may very well be a significant part of my exercise.

playing golf 3 times a week, walking and carrying your bag is good/enough exercise for a normal person even young.

As I said, it depends on the expectations one has about fitness. In my opinion, you don't get much for the amount of time you put in but if you're not going to do anything else and you have the time, it is an acceptable level of activity even without carrying the bag. Personally, I feel as I get older that I need to be in much better shape to play games like golf, tennis or football and I can't rely on the activity to provide what I need. If I don't train properly then my level of play will drop and there's a higher risk of injury. In golfing terms, some people can be happy being a Jimenez or Daly, others aspire to be more like Woods, Scott or DJ. To each his/her own and I would never laugh at someone that considers golf their exercise. It's a lot better than those who can't peel themselves from a bar stool.

Unless you have knee/other conditions walking is much better than cart, gives you a better opportunity to assess the shot, chat etc, I wouldn't play a course you had to have a cart.

Each to their own though, everyone has their own level of exercise.

Edited by scubascuba3

I golf at courses around Pattaya with a PSC membership with the resident discount.

What I miss most golfing in Thailand is the sport. At home, I used to walk and to pull a trolley when competing or when playing casual, carrying my bag (10 forged steel-shaft blades). In Thailand I miss the physical exercise, and the carts take away a lot of the social interaction too, can't talk too much because the course is done in 3 to 3 hours a half and idle times are minimal, and there is no time to talk while walking because there is no walking :-(

The second thing which I find a bit disturbing is that there are no options for doing away with the caddies - I don't need a caddie, and they always cost 250 baht fee plus 300 baht tip, which is not nothing.

Playing once a week the cost is negligible, but playing three times a week, it adds up over a year to almost 90000 baht...

These fees are an obstacle to anyone who wants to play often but has to watch finances as well.

All the above suggests a "different" golf course could be successful in Pattaya - maybe one with 2x 18 holes, offering both: play without caddie and without cart, and play with caddie and cart, alternating the offer between both courses every day.

Members could just pay an annual membership and play without paying anything else if they are not using carts or caddies... Just an idea !!

You must be playing at an early time to finish in 3 hours - I do not think I have had a round under 3 and three quarters for a long, long time - and usually with lots of idle time. In some ways I envy you.

Lots of places you do not need carts.

I think the minimum caddie fee is now 300 (apart from Plutaluang) and 350 on many courses? How are you only paying 250?

I have heard (but I may have misunderstood) that there is a Navy course at Sattahip that you do not have a caddy - only 9 holes but I think the norm is to play it twice. Apparently it is also very tight so great to hone your game - maybe that could be your "different" course (if I am not incorrect about there being no caddies)?

I golf at courses around Pattaya with a PSC membership with the resident discount.

What I miss most golfing in Thailand is the sport. At home, I used to walk and to pull a trolley when competing or when playing casual, carrying my bag (10 forged steel-shaft blades). In Thailand I miss the physical exercise, and the carts take away a lot of the social interaction too, can't talk too much because the course is done in 3 to 3 hours a half and idle times are minimal, and there is no time to talk while walking because there is no walking :-(

The second thing which I find a bit disturbing is that there are no options for doing away with the caddies - I don't need a caddie, and they always cost 250 baht fee plus 300 baht tip, which is not nothing.

Playing once a week the cost is negligible, but playing three times a week, it adds up over a year to almost 90000 baht...

These fees are an obstacle to anyone who wants to play often but has to watch finances as well.

All the above suggests a "different" golf course could be successful in Pattaya - maybe one with 2x 18 holes, offering both: play without caddie and without cart, and play with caddie and cart, alternating the offer between both courses every day.

Members could just pay an annual membership and play without paying anything else if they are not using carts or caddies... Just an idea !!

You must be playing at an early time to finish in 3 hours - I do not think I have had a round under 3 and three quarters for a long, long time - and usually with lots of idle time. In some ways I envy you.

I think the minimum caddie fee is now 300 (apart from Plutaluang) and 350 on many courses? How are you only paying 250?

I have heard (but I may have misunderstood) that there is a Navy course at Sattahip that you do not have a caddy - only 9 holes but I think the norm is to play it twice. Apparently it is also very tight so great to hone your game - maybe that could be your "different" course (if I am not incorrect about there being no caddies)?

yep, maybe 350... I'm not paying too much attention to the paper slips, I'm rather trying to forget the money paid as quickly as possible.

I still want my "different" course to be a full-blown, nicely designed and well-maintained championship course! Just cut out some of the unnecessary costs.

Edited by manarak

• 3 months later...

yep, maybe 350... I'm not paying too much attention to the paper slips, I'm rather trying to forget the money paid as quickly as possible.

I still want my "different" course to be a full-blown, nicely designed and well-maintained championship course! Just cut out some of the unnecessary costs.

about the navy golf courses, there actually 2:

the small 9 hole course is at the navy base, just near sukhumvit on the road to go to the beach hat sai kheow.

I understood it is rather very basic with minimal maintenance and there are probably no caddies.

But there is also Plutaluang golf course near the Navy hospital in Rayong, which also belongs to the Royal Navy.

36 holes, I believe carts and caddies are compulsory.

about the navy golf courses, there actually 2:

the small 9 hole course is at the navy base, just near sukhumvit on the road to go to the beach hat sai kheow.

I understood it is rather very basic with minimal maintenance and there are probably no caddies.

But there is also Plutaluang golf course near the Navy hospital in Rayong, which also belongs to the Royal Navy.

36 holes, I believe carts and caddies are compulsory.

Caddies yes but carts definitely no - played it (again) a couple of weeks ago. Trees in the middle of fairways can be a real pain!

Caddies yes but carts definitely no - played it (again) a couple of weeks ago. Trees in the middle of fairways can be a real pain!

which course are you talking about? The small 9 hole course, yes?

No Plutaluang.

Has some great holes (lighthouse par 3 for example on one of the 9s) but spoilt by the "cow" grass and a number of holes where you can hit a good drive down the middle of the fairway and be blocked by a tree or trees. Also navy personnel have priority and if you get behind a 5/6 ball say good by to your day.......

No Plutaluang.

Has some great holes (lighthouse par 3 for example on one of the 9s) but spoilt by the "cow" grass and a number of holes where you can hit a good drive down the middle of the fairway and be blocked by a tree or trees. Also navy personnel have priority and if you get behind a 5/6 ball say good by to your day.......

LOL 555

so... at plutaluang, caddies are compulsory but not carts

• 1 month later...

I don't buy into the idea that if someone opened a course where caddies were optional that it would not benefit the local community. Who would be maintaining the course? Most likely it would be locals, so therefore employment opportunities. Another point that is easily forgotten ,is that because of the reduced costs of playing, more locals who could not afford to pay green fees and caddie tips could also play. So that would also benefit the local community unless you have a snobbish clientele who believe they are of higher status then a normal Thai worker.

• 3 weeks later...

Believe Lanna in CM, an Army course, has caddy fee set at 250 TB. Tip, for me, always 300 on any course, any caddy. I have gotten away from the judgement of caddies and the resultant decision making. No exceptions, no ups, 300 TB. Possible that if hot caddy came on strong towards my game, my personality, my good looks and my ATM card, she might get more.

• 1 year later...

I am not a golfer. But I had visitors from the states 6 heavy duty golfers they play at least 4x a week in the states. Mainly in New Jersey and Florida. They were shocked at the green fees at the courses here they said it was double the cost of the states,. They do use golf carts but not caddies.

They will not visit again because they feel the cost is high for what they want to do, mainly golf daily. Are there any suggestions.

• 2 weeks later...

I too find it unpleasant and unnecessary to hire caddies and it is one of the reasons I would not want to live in Thailand all the time. It's not a matter of penny pinching, I don't like to waste money on something I don't need or want. The other reason why I wouldn't buy a membership is that very few clubs have much life in them. One of the benefits of playing in a club is the services/privileges offered to members and hopefully some kind of exclusivity. Not too many clubs offer that in Thailand...

As to exercise, you're walking about 8km regardless of having caddies or not and if you really swing at the ball, it's better for your back and your game not to carry clubs. I always walk and carry outside of Thailand and I find it helps my game a bit not to have a bag on my back the whole round. One of these days when I'm 80, I might consider buying a trolley.

Some of you need to curtail your little yank/brit banter, it's pretty childish...

I can respect alternate opinions regarding caddies. I don't need them as I am capable of reading greens and finding my own ball. And capable of carrying my own bag if I must. But when a group gets 4 good caddies who fit into the banter of the group I find them fun to have around. If that makes them worth the money I can't say. To each his own.

I find the memberships in Thailand are mostly only for the benefit of reducing costs. I don't believe they offer the same type of club atmosphere provided in western clubs which is part of their value. So it comes down to money alone. Based on my math I would have to play the same course a lot over the 6 months a year I am there to recover the costs of a membership and have never found it cost effective for me. I like to play a variety of courses with the various golf groups instead of the same one every day.

The only exception to this is if I lived there I might make the investment to Siam CC. Love the course and I do have friends that play regularly. It wouldn't be a great investment but assuming I got back a large proportion of the investment in 5 years it might be worth it.

And I agree that the yank bashing by scubascuba and finsbury was childish and unnecessary. Why it started or from what I haven't a clue and don't intend wasting time responding to them again. Odd how a person who is incapable of figuring out his own math for joining a club insults someone who was trying to add to his knowledge base.

I agree that having caddies on occasion can be fun and they are certainly not paid a lot of money for the effort they put in, the problem lies in the fact that it's compulsory and if you play a few times a week, it adds up. You could buy a new set of clubs every year for the price you pay in caddies if you play regularly. I agree with you that golf membership in Thailand has to mostly be about money since there's little else, the funny part of it being that in order to make it worth it, you have to play a lot which in turns costs you more in caddie fees/tips. Then again, if one decides to play golf, one must accept that it's not a cheap activity.

I never calculated the annual costs. But yeah, I play about 120 rounds a year there at let's say 600 baht per round caddie and tip for 72,000 baht. YIKES. That is a lot of upscale dinners in Pattaya. What really bugs me more though is courses with mandatory carts. Now, I HAVE to take them right now due to knee issues. But when I am healthy (which I hope is again soon following surgery) I like the option of walking the course. You get into a rhythm of the game. Worse still at Siam I must take a cart and it is cart path only. Double annoyance. And cost. If you get a caddy that doesn't listen you can find yourself without the right clubs all day.

But in the end golf is expensive.

On topic of course is the question of memberships. Always a gamble. A friend of mine who is a brit bookie tried to convince me to buy a Siam membership when they were closed to redo the course. If you've been there a while you know Siam used to be so poor no one wanted to play there. The memberships while they redid the course were 90,000 baht. Now they are over 200,000 baht. Note to self. If a british bookie suggests something where he has no personal interest pay attention. thumbsup.gif

Was his name Tim?

I guess I have always been in the mind set of playing different courses. I like to play around and the idea of being stuck to a "home" course does nothing for me. Being I grew up on the west coast of Canada golf is rather in expensive as well. Thai golf is quite a bit cheaper than the other countries around the area, More courses and choices to. Working in KL for a few years a while back opened up my eyes to the cost of a round at times. I think it's like most anything else though check the amount you intend to play and the deal that course gives. I would wager that one could find some solid deals if they want a "home" course.

quote name="jimmybcool" post="7662578" timestamp="1396881833"]

quote name="scubascuba3" post="7662408" timestamp="1396878612"]

quote name="little mary sunshine" post="7661365" timestamp="1396863021"]

I have a membership in Pattaya, play 3 sometime 4 times a week. Not at all

expensive compared to the States, especially Hawaii...Never even thought of

of the caddy fees as expensive or cutting out the caddy; very petty and cheap

of you, the girls work hard and are great.

Americans seem happy to pay caddy fees,

I wonder how many Americans have actually ever carried their golf bag around a course.

;(/quote]

Not sure what planet you guys are from. I;m a yank and play a lot of golf in the USA over the years. I never saw a caddy until I came to Thailand. So drop the pathetically uninformed remarks.

Amen to this brother! I've been playing for some 50 years stateside and never had a caddie until I arrived to Thailand. They are OK and can be fun but I sure don't need or want one.