Prachuab Khirikan to hold alcohol free Songkran Festival

Lite Beer

Prachuab Khirikan to hold alcohol free Songkran Festival

PRACHUAB KHIRIKAN, 5 April 2014 (NNT) -Every part of Thailand is poised for the upcoming Songkran Festival where water splashing events are held nation wide.

In the province of Prachuab Khirikan, the governor has ordered all local Songkran organizers, both public and private, to focus on an alcohol-free festival

The governor Veera Sriwattanakul said every unit involved, such as police, local administration offices, the media, and volunteers, had cooperated in the province's plan to lower the number of road accidents.

Prachuab Khirikan is a major tourist destination and also a city connecting the central plain to the South which means the traffic on Prachuap Khirikan's key highway will be heavy during the Songkran holiday.

The risk of fatal road accidents is much higher during the festival, especially where the drinking of alcohol is involved. The sale of alcohol is closely monitored by authorities and those who violate the law will be punished. Local administrative offices which plan to hold water splashing or other cultural events should make sure that the fun occasion is alcohol-free.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 3024-04-06 footer_n.gif

i'm surprised more provinces don't do the same... a lot of Thais don't participate in Songkran because they don't want to see (or be hurt) by all the drunks... one Songkran was enough for me too (still have unpleasant flashbacks of a drunken motorbike accident)... if there was an alcohol free event near me i would go with the kids

• Like 1

Silliness. Another reason for some good willing tourists who just wanna splash out and have some fun to avoid Hua Hin. Yes, alcohol must be a controlled substance, but the laws are just ridiculous. You can't buy anything at certain times unless you buy over 20 Liters....er, yeah, that'll help! Mind you, I am a non drinker nor smoker but I think when people want to indulge, without bothering others, feel free. As far as Songkran goes: I "play" two days according to the "if you can't beat them join them" idea. Then I have enough in the house to be free of it for the rest and enjoy staying home.

• Like 1

This is crazy, I agree deal with the problem.

Most people who celebrate are either on holiday or live there. They are not driving around.

Yes, put up road blocks, random checks, anything, and punish those who drink and drive. Not the people who just genuinly want to have a good time.

Everything is blamed on alcohol.

Yes it is a major cause of accidents, but not just at festivals, all year round. Its just another excuse to stop people enjoying themselves.

A lot of people come on holiday just for Songkran. Kill the tourist industry, stop the enjoyment, and kill Thailand. That is exactly what is happening.

Sort out the problem, they have a police force....use it !!!!!

This sort of ad hoc regulation is using the Police to collect more tea money that is all, I believe there will be just as much alcohol consumed but the price to stay open will double.

• Like 1

This is crazy, I agree deal with the problem.

Most people who celebrate are either on holiday or live there. They are not driving around.

Yes, put up road blocks, random checks, anything, and punish those who drink and drive. Not the people who just genuinly want to have a good time.

Everything is blamed on alcohol.

Yes it is a major cause of accidents, but not just at festivals, all year round. Its just another excuse to stop people enjoying themselves.

A lot of people come on holiday just for Songkran. Kill the tourist industry, stop the enjoyment, and kill Thailand. That is exactly what is happening.

Sort out the problem, they have a police force....use it !!!!!

This sort of ad hoc regulation is using the Police to collect more tea money that is all, I believe there will be just as much alcohol consumed but the price to stay open will double.

How convenient. I remember I ended up in Bangkok on a non drinking weekend. I had no problem getting a beer and a cheeseburger, as several places were serving, and young policemen smiling and winking outside on the street.

The majority of People drink because they can. (Ferang Tourists and Workers).

They can afford to drink they enjoy a drink or 3.

Drink was invented by Monks - as a pleasent past-time

Most people enjoy it as that!

It's Internationally recognised that a small amout of drink is good for you -

especially if you are over 40.

The few people I have known over 90 - all state that a tot of Aqua Vitae (Water of Life - Whisky)
is there answer [to long life]

The majority of the westernised world drink alcohol at anytime they darn like

The minority (especially in Hua Hin) want to spoil other peoples freedom

because they can't be bothered to catch the baddies!

The good guys just want to PARTY!
(for a change to working hard...)

The majority of People drink because they can. (Ferang Tourists and Workers).

They can afford to drink they enjoy a drink or 3.

Drink was invented by Monks - as a pleasent past-time

Most people enjoy it as that!

It's Internationally recognised that a small amout of drink is good for you -

especially if you are over 40.

The few people I have known over 90 - all state that a tot of Aqua Vitae (Water of Life - Whisky)
is there answer [to long life]

The majority of the westernised world drink alcohol at anytime they darn like

The minority (especially in Hua Hin) want to spoil other peoples freedom

because they can't be bothered to catch the baddies!

The good guys just want to PARTY!
(for a change to working hard...)

I just canceled my reservation for the resort in Hua Hin for 4 rooms (4 foreigners + wifes). We have decided to go somewhere where there is no ban on alcohol.

So Hua Hin businesses will receive at least 100.000 THB less this year. (3 nights @ 3980/room) Stupid government !!!

That'll teach em !!!

totster :D

Thing is... I saw this article somewhere else and, there is no ban. It's just a suggestion... note the wording "to focus on an alcohol-free festival". There will still be alcohol consumed in stupid amounts no doubt.

Thing is... I saw this article somewhere else and, there is no ban. It's just a suggestion... note the wording "to focus on an alcohol-free festival". There will still be alcohol consumed in stupid amounts no doubt.

LOL - poor ole Fred has cancelled his holiday 55555555

totster :)

I just canceled my reservation for the resort in Hua Hin for 4 rooms (4 foreigners + wifes). We have decided to go somewhere where there is no ban on alcohol.

So Hua Hin businesses will receive at least 100.000 THB less this year. (3 nights @ 3980/room) Stupid government !!!

3 nights x 3980 baht x 4 groups = 47760 baht

I guess the other 50,000+ baht was going to alchohol?

• Like 2

So no Hua Hin for Songkran, got it.

I really wish Thailand would just completely ban alcohol, everywhere at all times. Then they can completely screw themselves instead of all these half measures. It shows a lack of conviction.

Edited by BudRight

That'll teach em !!!

totster biggrin.png

Reminds of the story I heard a few years ago of the Pakistani man that sat up in a tree and set light to himself to teach his wife a lesson because she had run off with another man.....clap2.gif. I may be wrong, and I am sure I will be corrected..rolleyes.gif .but isn't the article about alcohol free local municipal functions?

Anyone who reads my post will know I am very pro Thai and very seldom knock any of the but this Veera Sriwattanakul must have sh!t for brains.

They would be as well putting a sign up say Please Break The Law because no Thai who likes a beer or six will pay the least bit of attention to this unless they are in dager of being caught..

They would need an army of police to enforce this so why not use that army in another way.

Don't ban drink use the don't drink and drive laws they have already.

Set up road blocks and breathalse the obvious............they aren't that hard to spot.......a load of youngsters in the back of a pick-up. Obviously you couldn't breat test everyone.

A campagn saying no one will be able to drive through Hua Hin during Songkran without passing a breath test will make them think twice about driving at least driving back drunk after a day on the booze...

If they don't have the manpower to do that then hey don't have they manpower to check the hundreds of places that sell drink.

I'll give them 5 for trying