Help! Thai wife buys house but farang husband has no rights?

peter48

My Thai wife from UK is soon ( hopefully) to purchase new house in HH with our monies + mortgage from a Thai bank. As I am in UK I have to sign & take to Thai embassy in London among other things something called a 'letter of confirmation'. I think this means I am signing as a foreigner ( even though I am spouse of Thai) that I have no ownership rights of this property especially on divorce or bereavement. Is this correct?

Moreover what about the children of our marriage, I guess our Thai son ( living in UK with both passports) has inheritance rights? Our UK born son ( half Thai/half English) with UK passport has no rights too as he is a foreigner too. He's 11 years old so presumably could get Thai passport too.

Its so dam confusing - in sum, sounds like farang buys property for wife and it's just like a gift , like a car or something. Farang has no rights whatsoever. Can any one help.

• Like 1

op. one way out is for the seller to separate the land from the house. The wife owns the land (you cannot by law) but you can own the house, you can then get a 30 year lease on the house. as a side note your sons are THAI as they have a thai mum..The other way is to put the house in the kids name.. but it cannot then be sold until he is of age without a court agreement.. check the details with a lawyer.

ps: if you buy a car IT CAN go in your name biggrin.png (some Transport offices require a long term visa, easy to get at Hull consulate)

Edited by casualbiker
  • Like 1

op. one way out is for the seller to separate the land from the house. The wife owns the land (you cannot by law) but you can own the house, you can then get a 30 year lease on the house. as a side note your sons are THAI as they have a thai mum..The other way is to put the house in the kids name.. but it cannot then be sold until he is of age without a court agreement.. check the details with a lawyer.

ps: if you buy a car IT CAN go in your name biggrin.png (some Transport offices require a long term visa, easy to get at Hull consulate)

Just a slight slip there.

You can own the house and the it's the land you get a 30 year lease on (known as an usufruct). Establish this before you buy the house. That will probably mean a trip over here to rtegister the lease with the local Land Office.

word of advise...get a lawyer..and i mean one that specialize in land deals..do not let you partner or her family choose one...

this is a big investment...think about it..long and hard

think what would happen if things go wrong...

for me ...it would be no lawyer no deal...

i was presented with a land deal ...6 rai..the family was trying to stich me up...one call to my lawyer..the deal was blown out of the water...the land could not be sold..saved me 600000 thb..

Wow...6 rai for 600,000THB was it swamp land in (lower) Nakon Nowhere with (a fake) sor bor kor title

• Like 1

Thanks guys some interesting stuff. I am not sinking a life threatening amount into this ( circa 50% of price) so in extreme I could walk away from it as she has got to earn money ( through rent etc) to pay back the monthly payments. I amI guess a guarantor in the final analysis. She has also a significant insurance package on it from the Bank.

Interestingly though she has claimed it would pass to me and/or sons on death so I am unsure of that. Still unclear on divorce too. Who would it pass to?

We have been married over 10+ years so I know the score. Thanks for any help offered on divorce and bereavement (Hers, unlikely but you never know). ??

Sorry on my last point - its quite general really but can be seen as ambiguous.In Thailand if the Thai wife passes away or 'the Farang -Thai couple' divorce does not the husband have some rights to the property especially after long marriage ? Surely we are not saying he is left with zero.

Sorry on my last point - its quite general really but can be seen as ambiguous.In Thailand if the Thai wife passes away or 'the Farang -Thai couple' divorce does not the husband have some rights to the property especially after long marriage ? Surely we are not saying he is left with zero.

Foreigner can inherit property in Thailand, but will have to sell it within a certain period of time set by the court .

I would think that in a divorce he also can claim some part, since it are assets the wife acquired during the marriage, but you better ask that question in the Ask the lawyer forum.

Edited by JesseFrank
  • Like 1

As far as I know that is exactly what he gets.....Zero

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

I've been advised my a couple of Thai lawyers and people with experience in this that the way to go is to put the property in your name then take a usufruct on the land that prevents your wife from pulling the plug and kicking you off the land if things were ever to turn sour.

That said, I'm certainly no expert and have never bought a house in Thailand, I'm just passing on info that has been passed onto me.

Like some of the posters above have said, find yourself a good lawyer and seek advice from as many knowledgeable people as possible

• Like 2

As most people have said, Get a good Lawyer.

Also why not consider getting the good lawyer to create a company with both names on the title. The land doesnt belong to you as such, but belongs to the Company.

Yes you have to pay taxes but it is an investment also.

Let me know how things go. I'm very interested.

We are in the process of starting a real estate company and mainly looking after the Farangs best interest. www.siam-living.com

Best of luck and don't be a statistic

I am being blunt " DO NOT DO IT " just rent a house if you need a property buy a freehold apartment in your name do not use a local lawyer as there all family go find. Lawyer yourself in a different district nelieve me you and your English son will get ripped off big time

Out of interest, could the property be put in the name of the OPs "Thai" son? Who I guess was born in Thailand (and therefore can own land) and is obviously older then his "UK" son?

Also, would the bank lend money against the property with only the son as owner? I guess not?

What about having the property in name of "Thai" son and his wife?...They could then still borrow the money from the bank and would need both parties to sign and potential sale in the future.

You nor your Thai/English son with only a foreign passport can ever "own" the land. I guess a Usufruct or something similar is a way to protect you in case of divorce, but a will written up properly by a Thai lawyer will protect you in case of your wife's untimely demise before you and give you total "control" of your assets, including land here. I invested heavily into land and house when I first came here ten years ago and had to sign the same form you mentioned saying I have no financial interests in the land, however I got a Thai will drawn up that gives me control over the land until my death or sale of the land (and house). This is legal.

I did it because this happened to an American friend who lives here. He, luckily, had this type of will drawn up as soon as he bought property here in his wife's name (who was the same age as him). He did it to keep the family vultures from swooping in upon her death and taking everything from him. The will stated (as mine does) that if the Thai wife passes away before the foreign husband, the husband has a right to live in the house for the rest of his life, or sell the land and house and keep the proceeds. My friend's wife did pass away about ten years ago. He lived in the house until last year when he sold it for 28m baht that went into his bank account.

On his advice I had the same type of wills (you may want one for you and one for your spouse) drawn up for us. I used a very professional law firm (same one he used) called Pensit and Laws in Bangkok. It covers my wife's farm, her family home in Issan which are both in her name and land and houses we own in Hua Hin. I can control, live on, lease out, sell, any of them as I wish upon her death before mine. If I die first, of course everything is hers, and if we both go together or when the last of us dies everything will go to our daughter who lives in California but has both Thai and U.S. passports.

My daughter was born in the uk, has both passports. Owns a house and land.

Can you explain whose name the chanote was in, when he sold for 28m..

On the death of his wife, did he actually go thru probate..?

Interesting..

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app