Help! Thai wife buys house but farang husband has no rights?

peter48

If you have a Thai wife, and your money is used to build a house, do not build of stone. Build of wood, or in any other manner to allow you to disassemble it and bring it somewhere else.

why not build the house out of straw .. like the three little pigs ....

then you could always huff & puff .... and blow the house down ... whistling.gif

Edited by steven100

Your wife can legally leave you the house and land in her Will. But you will have to sell it within six months after taking possession. According to Thai law, all assets of a marriage belong to both partners, which means you could claim half the cost of the house/land sale if you divorce. In practice, I have yet to find a single case where a falang has walked away with half of anything!

Complete and utter rubbish.

Thai law says nothing of the kind.

And a racist to boot!

Has the OP stated his ethnicity at any point in this thread, I think not.

What above is "complete and utter rubbish "?

1) Do not get into a physical altercation with a Thai

2) Do not purchase a home to be registered in a womans name

3) Do not open a business.

First one suicidal, second your odds are poor, third you might have a go at it but the corruption, extortion, and expense rarely make it a worthwhile financial endeavour in the long run.

Edited by arunsakda
  • Like 1

I have done numbers 2 & 3 fifteenth years ago ---- seem to be traveling OK..... But I'll keep a look out ..

.........& thanks for your warning..................I think.............coffee1.gif

PS Actually I have just re-read you list arunsakda.....your right---- number 2 didn't work out alright,----- in Australia.

Edited by sanuk711

We all know that we are not the masters of our intellect. We cannot avoid being influenced by advertising, public opinion, and social media. But not only our intellects are unfree. Our emotions are too. We love what we, our our genes, need. If we are obsolete, we are loved less. And this is an unconscious process.

My Thai wife from UK is soon ( hopefully) to purchase new house in HH with our monies + mortgage from a Thai bank. As I am in UK I have to sign & take to Thai embassy in London among other things something called a 'letter of confirmation'. I think this means I am signing as a foreigner ( even though I am spouse of Thai) that I have no ownership rights of this property especially on divorce or bereavement. Is this correct?

Moreover what about the children of our marriage, I guess our Thai son ( living in UK with both passports) has inheritance rights? Our UK born son ( half Thai/half English) with UK passport has no rights too as he is a foreigner too. He's 11 years old so presumably could get Thai passport too.

Its so dam confusing - in sum, sounds like farang buys property for wife and it's just like a gift , like a car or something. Farang has no rights whatsoever. Can any one help.

Dont buy anything in your thai wifes name.

Get a prenuptial agreement before marrying any thai, be it hi-so rich miss this or that or a bargirl.

Cars and condos should be bought in your name.

Get a lease of the land and buy a house or dont buy it at all!

With the feeling of having no rights you feel insecure and it will have effects on your wellbeing.

Good luck to you and any other reader that has an interest in the subject.

My girlfriend got all the facts from me early on, prenuptial agreement, everything will be bought in my name and I will not move to Europe. We will not stay there 2 years so she can get a EU passport.

I can relax, sabai sabai...

• Like 1

We all know that we are not the masters of our intellect. We cannot avoid being influenced by advertising, public opinion, and social media. But not only our intellects are unfree. Our emotions are too. We love what we, our our genes, need. If we are obsolete, we are loved less. And this is an unconscious process.

Huh...?!?

1) Do not get into a physical altercation with a Thai

2) Do not purchase a home to be registered in a womans name

3) Do not open a business.

First one suicidal, second your odds are poor, third you might have a go at it but the corruption, extortion, and expense rarely make it a worthwhile financial endeavour in the long run.

I would alter your item 2) to read,

2) Do not allow any homeless woman to move into your home.

If she doesn't have her own home, she won't be sleeping in mine.

• 3 years later...

personally i would put it in the kids names right from the start, thais don't like to do this because then they can't take loans against the house and they have to pay higher interest on unsecured loans. If you are fairly well off then you won't need to worry about loans. If it is a holiday home then really consider a condo as you can just walk out the door and not have to worry about garden and building maintenance whilst you aren't there.

She obviously wants her own plot in her homeland, i can understand that, but if your kids are growing up and being educated in the UK, consider their life map, are they really likely to ever live fully in Thailand?