Want to set up small food area in my home

irlguy1

Good morning irlguy1,

I guess I am somewhat confused now.  You DID ask a lawyer and you received a reply from a legal 'professional' yet you chose to ask the same question on a forum that is used by expats (none of whom would I expect to know more about Thai law than a Thai lawyer) to converse and share thoughts, observations and opinions and you were expecting a more definitive answer than you got from a Thai legal professional? ! ! ! 

OF course your confused now!  Please keep in mind that this is Thailand.  There are no absolutes here except death.  Look at the current situation within the government where not even the legislators understands the legality of the things they try to do and if they do, there are those who will bend the law to fit their agendas!  In Thailand laws tend to be 'soft', they tend to be guidelines for conduct but in the end most do what they want to do.  In the end, you can be legally 'right' but still end up in trouble if someone with more influence wants to get their way.  The opposite is also true, you can be legally wrong but if you secure the proper influence you can bypass the law.

So what you are seeing here in your thread is the result of the soft laws where nobody KNOWS what will happen with any absolute certainty.  The forum members try to be helpful but there are no black and whites and those who have lived with it long enough understand this and deal with it or they go back to home because they need the rigid structure of legal certainties.

I know this isn't what you hoped to hear but it is the reality of living in this culture. Wishing you and your wife the best of luck in your new venture.  

Cheers,
Stix

I read the first few lines of your comment then got so annoyed I just couldn't finish it.
Let me clarify (shouldn't have to if you actually followed the timeline of the thread)
I checked with the lawyer after I started this thread and AFTER I had the varying comments.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good morning irlguy1,

I guess I am somewhat confused now.  You DID ask a lawyer and you received a reply from a legal 'professional' yet you chose to ask the same question on a forum that is used by expats (none of whom would I expect to know more about Thai law than a Thai lawyer) to converse and share thoughts, observations and opinions and you were expecting a more definitive answer than you got from a Thai legal professional? ! ! ! 

OF course your confused now!  Please keep in mind that this is Thailand.  There are no absolutes here except death.  Look at the current situation within the government where not even the legislators understands the legality of the things they try to do and if they do, there are those who will bend the law to fit their agendas!  In Thailand laws tend to be 'soft', they tend to be guidelines for conduct but in the end most do what they want to do.  In the end, you can be legally 'right' but still end up in trouble if someone with more influence wants to get their way.  The opposite is also true, you can be legally wrong but if you secure the proper influence you can bypass the law.

So what you are seeing here in your thread is the result of the soft laws where nobody KNOWS what will happen with any absolute certainty.  The forum members try to be helpful but there are no black and whites and those who have lived with it long enough understand this and deal with it or they go back to home because they need the rigid structure of legal certainties.

I know this isn't what you hoped to hear but it is the reality of living in this culture. Wishing you and your wife the best of luck in your new venture.  

Cheers,
Stix

I read the first few lines of your comment then got so annoyed I just couldn't finish it.
Let me clarify (shouldn't have to if you actually followed the timeline of the thread)
I checked with the lawyer after I started this thread and AFTER I had the varying comments.

My sincere apologies sir.  Happy New Year and best of luck with your new venture.

Stix

Good morning irlguy1,

Cheers,
Stix

My sincere apologies sir.  Happy New Year and best of luck with your new venture.

Stix

Happy new year
Thanks for the good wishes.

With regard to the lawyer as u may have read from other previous comments it would seem that even they can't be trusted so I hope now you can appreciate my frustration. :(

People who fail to achieve their goals usually get stopped by frustration. They allow frustration to keep them from taking the necessary actions that would support them in achieving their desire. You get through this roadblock by plowing through frustration, taking each setback as feedback you can learn from, and pushing ahead. I doubt you'll find many successful people who have not experienced this. All successful people learn that success is buried on the other side of frustration.

Tony Robbins (1960 -)

"My advice is don’t take advice from anybody. This is good advice, and as such, it’s bad advice."

Jarod Kintz

My advice to you is, if "you don't take advice from anybody" - don't ask any questions designed to solicit information from another. 

Of course, I have just given you advice, which you will not take.   biggrin.png

• 3 months later...