Work Permit for Teaching in Thailand?

One of the advertising Law Firms on this site have stated that people performing work for education are "Work Permit Exempt" and do not need a work permit to work in the education field in Thailand. Is this true? I would like to volunteer in my wife's tutor school and would like to know if I need a work permit for this specific volunteer work? Does anyone have any accurate information regarding my question or circumstances?

A good friend of mine, A very well-educated American who speaks reads and writes Thai and has been living here off and on for over 30 years told me something once that I've always remembered. As we all know, Thailand has never been colonized and for century after century laws have been stacked upon laws. In fact, if you look hard enough, there's probably a law that contradicts almost every other law.

From the labor law that I have read, all work is illegal without a work permit. But the way this is written cooking your own breakfast could be considered work and illegal.

I doubt any of my rantings makes sense but I hope they're useful.

A good friend of mine, A very well-educated American who speaks reads and writes Thai and has been living here off and on for over 30 years told me something once that I've always remembered. As we all know, Thailand has never been colonized and for century after century laws have been stacked upon laws. In fact, if you look hard enough, there's probably a law that contradicts almost every other law.

From the labor law that I have read, all work is illegal without a work permit. But the way this is written cooking your own breakfast could be considered work and illegal.

I would not want to be in the position of arguing the finer points of Thai labor law with officials of the Labor Department when they come to inspect your wife's school and find you "volunteering" there.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

While I would agree, I very much doubt they would make a big issue about a husband teaching in a wife's small language school.

From my experience, Labor and immigration simply see an opportunity to make some money when these things occur. There isn't much money in a (literally mom and pop) small language school. If the same thing happened at one of the big name schools with many foreign teachers the manager of that school better go to the ATM and get out a few hundred thousand baht. Then suddenly the problem would all go away.

Again, I agree, but anyone who's lived in Thailand long enough realizes that all of these things are also enforced subjectively. So unless you have managed to anger someone probably wouldn't be a big deal. Illegal, certainly illegal, but not a big deal.

I would not want to be in the position of arguing the finer points of Thai labor law with officials of the Labor Department when they come to inspect your wife's school and find you "volunteering" there.

Edited by brucetefl

Ok if that's how you feel, then go for it. But if you are prepared to break the law anyway why did you bother asking the question in the first place?

What are you talking about??? When did I say I was teaching or working? Can you read!!!!??? I am inquiring and reporting what a law firm has told me. If you read the Alien or Foreign Emplyment, Work Act 1978....it clearly states that education is exempt. I have never offer you (siamtwin) a rebuttle....

I am not prepared to break any thai laws which is why I did the post....

Edited by Sheryl
insult removed by Moderator

Ok if that's how you feel, then go for it. But if you are prepared to break the law anyway why did you bother asking the question in the first place?

What are you talking about??? When did I say I was teaching or working? Can you read!!!!??? I am inquiring and reporting what a law firm has told me. If you read the Alien or Foreign Emplyment, Work Act 1978....it clearly states that education is exempt. I have never offer you (siamtwin) a rebuttle....

"f you read the Alien or Foreign Emplyment, Work Act 1978....it clearly states that education is exempt."

So, is this OP about your interpretation of said act or, as you state, something written by a law firm which advertises on TV? A link to the law firm's assertion would be helpful.

If you read Acts, you will usually find that in the preamble the act will state words to the effect, "this Act supercedes xxx and xxx Acts etc" and thus trumps the earlier legislation. They can hardly go through all printed copies of all previous laws and edit them.

Edited by Sheryl
reply to deleted content removed

Why the hostility, people?

I kind of get a kick out the self righteous people who decry those evil law breakers.

Ever take one of the girls home from Nana?

Anyone ever had a drink on a buddhist holiday?

Download a movie?

Jaywalk?

by the way, joshstiles, a few years ago my wife and I opened a small English school in a small town in Chonburi. We went to the municipal office to register the school and this is what was said:

Us: "We would like to register our English school."

Officer: "How long have you been operating your school?"

Us: "Sorry, we are here to register the school so we can begin teaching."

Officer: So you are not even open yet? Open your school and see how it goes. If you are still open in six months, come and register. Otherwise its all just a waste of time, right?"

And if I can humbly use myself as an example, sometimes us lowly scum who open small English schools with our wives end up ok.

Edited by brucetefl
  • Like 1

Yes, to be legal, you must have a valid and current work permit for any activity that could be called work, including for pay or no pay, volunteering or otherwise. The matter is very strict and you can cook your own breakfast but watch out cooking for the whole family and especially taking money for that.

Seriously, if you are in the public eye and are working like you describe, technically you are breaking the law and someone could turn you in.

One of the easiest ways to get into trouble in Thailand is for someone to complain to the police about you. Personal complaints filed officially are investigated and once the officers have had to write the complaint up and go take a look, believe me some action will result. If the problem had been short cut earlier in the process, ok, but once the wheels get rolling, hard as they may be to get rolling, someone is going to suffer or pay.

The reason for the limit on foreigners working here is on the explanation that foreigners should not be allowed to take work away from the same kind of work that a Thai can do. One of the few categories is teaching English where it is rather assumed that a foreigner would be better able to do the job than a Thai, so most teaching, especially English or some other highly specialized category is allowed. "Allowed" does not mean exempt from a work permit. Thai lawyers, a breed even beyond the low ones in usa, may use phrases relating to this fact to get clients, but as a 6 year holder of teaching work permits here, I can testify you need the permit. Further , employers are at the greater risk for hiring undocumented workers than the worker, so they are loath to take on such.

You did not ask about the process, so I will wait.

hey retard....I prefer poverty to being an ignorant materialistic f like you....sukit

Yes, to be legal, you must have a valid and current work permit for any activity that could be called work, including for pay or no pay, volunteering or otherwise. The matter is very strict and you can cook your own breakfast but watch out cooking for the whole family and especially taking money for that.

Seriously, if you are in the public eye and are working like you describe, technically you are breaking the law and someone could turn you in.

One of the easiest ways to get into trouble in Thailand is for someone to complain to the police about you. Personal complaints filed officially are investigated and once the officers have had to write the complaint up and go take a look, believe me some action will result. If the problem had been short cut earlier in the process, ok, but once the wheels get rolling, hard as they may be to get rolling, someone is going to suffer or pay.

The reason for the limit on foreigners working here is on the explanation that foreigners should not be allowed to take work away from the same kind of work that a Thai can do. One of the few categories is teaching English where it is rather assumed that a foreigner would be better able to do the job than a Thai, so most teaching, especially English or some other highly specialized category is allowed. "Allowed" does not mean exempt from a work permit. Thai lawyers, a breed even beyond the low ones in usa, may use phrases relating to this fact to get clients, but as a 6 year holder of teaching work permits here, I can testify you need the permit. Further , employers are at the greater risk for hiring undocumented workers than the worker, so they are loath to take on such.

You did not ask about the process, so I will wait.

I appreciate what I believe to be a well intended response to my post. I am constantly mind-boggled by other people who simply can not read a simple post.

And for you other 'name calling responders':

[ I would like to volunteer ..............]

This implies a future plan....therefore NOT currently performing said plan....I can not understand how this statement can be misread....but the world is full of way too many ignorant people as well as those who speak before they think or thoroughly read that which they comment on.

AND....for the MODERATOR of this site....why allow the bad mouthing? I guess it is fair game for all.....ok.

I can't get in trouble if I am not currently teaching or volunteering....but everyone just assumes that anyone else is an idiot....yeah, I get it. This explains why foreigners walking down the street don't acknowledge each other....it's always 'turn your head the other way and pretend you don't see the other'....if you aren't grown up enough to offer some constructive response (positive or negative)....just read the bloody post and move on.

• Like 2