House Wanted In Chaing Mai

Koratlover

Hi all,

I am currently residing in Korat and the wife wants to have a holiday home in Chaing Mai but as we have never bee there can anyone help with what would be a suitable location not to far from the city and would it be better to go through an agent in Chiang Mai or look around myself.

I have abudget of about 2.5 mil Baht and would like a 2 or 3 bedroom place with a nice garden to relax and have some beers.

Any help much appreciated as I am planning to go to Chaing Mai 1st week of July to look for a house.

Thanks in advance. :o

Agents add cost but in theory save time. Finding something yourself is almost just as easy if you have a car or bike to check around the various housing estates. (These are on all major roads out of town, I'm sure it's similar in Khorat)

I would however also check out some agents, if only because they drive you around so you get a feel for the area and what's generally on offer. But don't pay much attention to the prices they're quoting as you will not like them. :o

> I have abudget of about 2.5 mil Baht and would like a 2 or

> 3 bedroom place with a nice garden to relax and have some beers.

That's a bit tight but not impossible. (might have to cut down on the beers. :D

Cheers,

Chanchao

Here are a few sites to look at to give a feel of prices and styles. As chanchao says, look around without a realtor will end up cheaper (bargaining directly with the owner).

http://www.chiangmairealty.com/house1-3.htm

http://www.chiangmairealestate.net/houses_for_sale.html

http://www.homeinpark.com/html/models.html

Also you can look at this pinned topic: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=34228

Edited by tywais

Agents add cost but in theory save time. Finding something yourself is almost just as easy if you have a car or bike to check around the various housing estates. (These are on all major roads out of town, I'm sure it's similar in Khorat)

I would however also check out some agents, if only because they drive you around so you get a feel for the area and what's generally on offer. But don't pay much attention to the prices they're quoting as you will not like them. :o

Cheers,

Chanchao

Hi Chanchao,

Thanks for your advise and I will see an agent as well as go looking myself, considering the land and house policy now being enforced (houses in a company name being scrutinised) I am hoping that they might be some desparate housing companies wanting a cash deal.

In anycase what area of Chaing Mai would you reccomend?

Cheers,

Chanchao

Hi Chanchao,

Thanks for your advise and I will see an agent as well as go looking myself, considering the land and house policy now being enforced (houses in a company name being scrutinised) I am hoping that they might be some desparate housing companies wanting a cash deal.

In anycase what area of Chaing Mai would you reccomend?

Hi Korat,

I would recommend something on the way to san kampheng. for 2.5M, you can get a very nice house in sivalai 3. You can check out their site here. Sivalai.

i am not associated with them with regards to $$$. just that they build great houses with quality finishing for what they charge.

Houses going towards Hang Dong, Mae Rim, Mae Jo, and Doi Saket a bit on the pricy side i think now. not to mention the huge inbound traffic. all the best.

i do have a house for rent in case you are interested though.

http://www.satihoga.com/House_sale_Chiang_Mai_Mae_Rim.htm

i saved this website for my own interest as i too am looking. price in you range.

i also found several decent homes below your budget - mostly smaller lot sizes (like less than 60-79 square wa.) three-four bedrooms, with 2-4 baths.

good luck.

Many thanks all of you for youe valueable responses, I will be in CM 1st week of July and if any of you are about I will buy you all a drink!

Hi all,

Well I have just made an offer on a lovely house and it looks like it has been accepted and I will view it at the end of this month (as I am currently working in Iraq), all going well I should be buying and moving in the same day (my wife will be pleased).

And yes you all may have a drink on me when I get there! :o

Amazing how you can virtually buy a house over the internet.

All the best

Paul

• 3 months later...

Want to come to find a place to rent - about 2+ years to start with, and this site seems to have lots of very helpful info. If anyone would trouble to add anything to adapt it for a prospective renter - instead of a buyer - I'd be very grateful. I'd want 2/3 bedrooms, within 10/15 minutes drive of CM, fitness room, connectability to adsl - as much else as was available. I could go to 15000 or a bit more a month.

If nothing else I'd appreciate suggestions of where I should best drive around to look; I'll have a thai speaker with me too.

Thanks a lot.

cd

Try the road out towards Sankamphang (beyond Big C). Lots of new houses - the further you go the cheaper it tends to be. Hang Dong road there are loads of houses for rent.

Best advice I can give is try and steer away from the property agents. At best the rental prices are way over what you can get yourself and at worst some are less than truthful. But what ever info you are given try and check, especially connectivity to ADSL. One agent swore blind that all of Chiang Mai can get ADSL which of course is not true.

Don't be afraid to negotiate on the price, some landlords are more keen than others, while some strangely are happy for the house(s) to remain empty for months and months even years. Crazy but true. Too much money I presume!

Also think about deposit - no more than 2 months and weigh up the landlord for yourself and ask yourself is this person likely to pay back xxxxx baht when the rental is over. Some don't, some do.

You have a great bargining tool on the rent if you want to rent for 6 or more months. Lastly check the rental agreement and query anything you are not sure of.

Good luck!!!

Thanks for that.

Lots of people advize looking for oneself and not through agents - advice I intend to follow, unless it leads me nowhere for a good while. In general are most houses on agents' websites also available to me directly if I find them, or is there an exclusivity commitment by the landlord to the agent?

Once I start driving around, looking, I may have more questions - hope I can return to this thread with them then.....next month, as I'm out of Thailand just now.

In general are most houses on agents' websites also available to me directly if I find them, or is there an exclusivity commitment by the landlord to the agent?

That depends - but everything is negoitiable :o Be prepared to walk away if the deals not right for you. Agents here work for the landlord not the tenant.

Try Northern Land & House, they have an office on the 3rd floor of Panthip Plaza. Talk to Aaron, he is an American and has properties all over Chiangmai and beyond.

I rented a house from Swedhome http://www.chiangmainews.com/swedhome/

They were the only agency who did not waste my time, and drive me around me showing me the complete opposite of what we were looking for, you can speak to Suwanit she speaks good english

I had a similar budget and she was the only one that showed us modern houses we would want to live in good locations and within our budget

If you find a house quickly and want to see how crazy some of the agents are in your free time, I can give you a list of people who will show you places well below your budget with no kitchen, and in locations only accessible by helicopter, or with a full tank of petrol just to get there :o

Edited by Remo