Cha-am: Police arrest British national wanted in France for suspected drug trafficking

webfact

Thai police arrest suspected drug trafficker wanted in France

CHA-AM: -- Thai police on Wednesday arrested a British national wanted in France for allegedly smuggling about 375 kilograms of heroin and cocaine to Britain, police said.

Michael Alan France, 54, was arrested in the seaside resort of Cha-am, 130 kilometres south-west of Bangkok, at the request of French Interpol.

The suspect, who has been living in Thailand since October 2008,faces no criminal charges in the kingdom, Immigration Police Commissioner Lieutenant General Panu Kerdlarppol said.

He faces an arrest warrant in France for allegedly organising an attempted shipment of 28.3 kilograms of cocaine and 95 kilograms of heroin to Britain in 2008.

French police said he had over an 18-month period organised shipments of 375 kilograms of heroin and cocaine from France to Britain, Panu said.

He will be deported from Thailand to France.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-04-09

• Like 1

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

good place to hide out, knowing that the law here is non existent. And anybody can be bought!

Yup...

From a haul like that, he must be truly minted, and the police and extradition judges will be very interested in getting their hands on as much of it as possible before allowing him to slip away into the night.

Myanmar must be looking good right now... or even Dubai.... They don't extradite folks with illegal acquired huge sums of money.

Edited by WoopyDoo
  • Like 2

Suspected British drug trafficker accused of smuggling 375kg of heroin into the UK is arrested in Thailand
Michael France, 53, arrested in the seaside resort town of Cha-Am
He had purchased a luxury flat there after moving to Thailand in 2008
French Police claim he was the mastermind behind a drug-smuggling gang
They claim he fled to Thailand after gang members were caught in France
Customs seized almost 30kg of cocaine and 95.11kg of heroin

By DANIEL MILLER

br.jpg
Thai police officers arrested alleged drug trafficker Alan France in the seaside resort town of Cha-Am

CHA-AM: -- A suspected British drug dealer, wanted by French police on suspicion of masterminding a gang that smuggled hundreds of kilos of cocaine and heroin through France into England, has been arrested in Thailand.

Michael France, 53, was arrested in the seaside resort town of Cha-Am, where he had purchased a luxury flat after moving to Thailand in 2008, local police said.
He was arrested following a tip-off from French law enforcement officials through the country's embassy in Thailand.

French police said the suspect fled France in 2008 after customs officers arrested a group of Englishmen carrying almost 30kg of cocaine and 95.11 kilograms of heroin in their car.

Full story: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2600779/Suspected-British-drug-trafficker-accused-smuggling-375kg-heroin-UK-arrested-Thailand.html

-- Daily Mail 2014-04-10

An other quality Brit tourist, I don't see many Russian drug dealers getting busted.

Just my mirror for those who always bash the Russians and seem to think their (insert your country) produces quality tourists.

Good that they caught him and that he could not buy his way out.

The reason they caught him is so that he can buy himself out.....time will tell..

good place to hide out, knowing that the law here is non existent. And anybody can be bought!

Really?? Then why is he in custody? If he was going to be able to buy his way out it would have happened already. The Thai police are not going to make a public display catching this guy and then loose face by letting him get slip away.

Just because some police take bribes doesn't mean you can buy your way out of everything. Have you not seen all the people that have been arrested and deported for no work permits, overstaying visas etc? I had an employee stealing from my company, the police did their job. So if laws are non-existent why did they arrest him?

I know a friend that got caught by the police for drugs. He tried to buy his way out and got charged with bribery too. He has been convicted and is spending many years in jail. So many ex-pats in jails here and you think laws are non existent.

Did you know that the Thai police force was founded as a mercenary mob? It has never been disbanded or significantly restructured. Do some research. And did you know that the Thai police force is openly referred to within European government authorities as a "criminal organisation"? Yes, there are truly some decent cops here, scrupulous and diligent. But one does dot have to look far to find the other sort.

I do applaud the police for cooperating with Interpol on this one.

I only wish that the Australian authorities had cooperated with the New Zealand police, and held the French sabotage team who blew up the Rainbow Warrior, sinking it and thus killing a person on board. Do some research.

The Thai police force does need to be purged of corruption, starting with Thaksin Shinawatra's friends at the top. But credit is due for a lot of good work on many issues.

• Like 1

Let's not forget that he is a suspect, he has not been convicted of anything yet.

It's quite possible that he is innocent.

A least France appears to have an advanced and fair legal system, he's probably much better off in a French court than a Thai one.

• Like 1

Really?? Then why is he in custody? If he was going to be able to buy his way out it would have happened already. The Thai police are not going to make a public display catching this guy and then loose face by letting him get slip away.

Just because some police take bribes doesn't mean you can buy your way out of everything. Have you not seen all the people that have been arrested and deported for no work permits, overstaying visas etc? I had an employee stealing from my company, the police did their job. So if laws are non-existent why did they arrest him?

I know a friend that got caught by the police for drugs. He tried to buy his way out and got charged with bribery too. He has been convicted and is spending many years in jail. So many ex-pats in jails here and you think laws are non existent.

Actually money will buy anything here, it just depends on how much you're able to pay.

Looks like he's been sampling the merch.

If it was a video those eyes would almost be contra-rotating.

Wonder if we'll ever hear any follow-up and the outcome. Hopefully the British press will stay on the case.

• Like 1

Yup...

From a haul like that, he must be truly minted, and the police and extradition judges will be very interested in getting their hands on as much of it as possible before allowing him to slip away into the night.

Myanmar must be looking good right now... or even Dubai.... They don't extradite folks with illegal acquired huge sums of money.

I believe criminals can stay in Motenegro or Dubai ..... wai2.gif

• Like 2

Yup...

You've been watching too many gansta movies.

Why on earth would they tell Interpol they had caught him if they were going to accept a bribe?

Nothing would have been simpler than to approach the guy tell him he was being arrested UNLESS!!!! then allow him to move on elsewhere.

Once Interpol are involved and an International case for crimes outside of Thailand becomes high profile anyone's chances of walking lie between nil and zero especially if drugs or children are involved.

The only place this guy is disappearing to is into the hands of Interpol.

• Like 1

I have read somewhere that 50% of the Poms living in Thailand are active or retired criminals.......wouldn't surprise me

The fact that it would not surprise you means that of the "Poms" you know many are active or retired criminals........

You are obviously mixing in the wrong circles - and probably believe that the rest are ex special forces........jerk.gif

Edited by topt
  • Like 1

Good that the That Police is clearing up foreign criminals. Just wish they did the same in our countries...

But the 1 gr. Of marihuana on a poor lad in phuket is still a joke

The Thai police isn't cleaning up anything, they have no choice but to arrest him because he has been found by French Interpol. There may be no direct reciprocal agreement between the 2 countries but Thailand would be very stupid to tell Interpol to go away and not exercise an International warrant for such a serious crime.

• Like 1