Cha-am: Police arrest British national wanted in France for suspected drug trafficking

webfact

good place to hide out, knowing that the law here is non existent. And anybody can be bought!

Really?? Then why is he in custody? If he was going to be able to buy his way out it would have happened already. The Thai police are not going to make a public display catching this guy and then loose face by letting him get slip away.

Just because some police take bribes doesn't mean you can buy your way out of everything. Have you not seen all the people that have been arrested and deported for no work permits, overstaying visas etc? I had an employee stealing from my company, the police did their job. So if laws are non-existent why did they arrest him?

I know a friend that got caught by the police for drugs. He tried to buy his way out and got charged with bribery too. He has been convicted and is spending many years in jail. So many ex-pats in jails here and you think laws are non existent.

Actually money will buy anything here, it just depends on how much you're able to pay.

I wouldn't be so sure, and it depends on who you're dealing with. Also, as someone else mentioned above, in the event of a high profile case such as this where there are overseas agencies involved, there is less chance to buy your way out.

Edited by runningfree73

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

An other quality Brit tourist, I don't see many Russian drug dealers getting busted.

Just my mirror for those who always bash the Russians and seem to think their (insert your country) produces quality tourists.

Good that they caught him and that he could not buy his way out.

I just google searched "dutchman arrested in thailand".

I am sure there are.. and your welcome to search unlike most here I don't care about nationality and readily accept there are a lot of idiots and criminals where I come from. Unlike others who seem to think that their country is the best and does not produce criminals.

Then go on bashing other nationalities to feel better.

Sorry rob, I wasn't having a pop at your country or its denizens. I really like Holland and Dutch people and your posting history and subsequent comment acknowledges that no single country has a monopoly on the depth of human garbage that settles down in LOS. I totally agree with that as well.

As Fox News would say, I am just keeping it "Fair and balanced."

Good that the That Police is clearing up foreign criminals. Just wish they did the same in our countries...

But the 1 gr. Of marihuana on a poor lad in phuket is still a joke

The Thai police isn't cleaning up anything, they have no choice but to arrest him because he has been found by French Interpol. There may be no direct reciprocal agreement between the 2 countries but Thailand would be very stupid to tell Interpol to go away and not exercise an International warrant for such a serious crime.

I surely hope they give him due process of law, but sometimes the law can be bought......

Thailand? I am so sorry that what some have produced, was never the ideal, the thought of moving ahead, and growing as a Nation..... But in my opinion, this is happening the world-round..... I sincerely hope that Thailand, finds its' moral compass, to turn it around........

Just a thought..... And to the true expats, still existing in Thailand? My best wishes for the ideals and things that you all have come to know......

kilosierra wai2.gifwai2.gifwai2.gif

I think that there is some truth in what you say, but in my opinion Thailand is the worse I have seen for corruption and lack of police enforcement for crimes at all levels.

I too hope they find their moral compass but it is going to take a change in societies opinion, acceptance and also a wholesale change of people in charge,,, what are the chances of that happening?

An other quality Brit tourist, I don't see many Russian drug dealers getting busted.

Just my mirror for those who always bash the Russians and seem to think their (insert your country) produces quality tourists.

"Another quality Brit tourist" He bought a property there in 2008, so that's 7 years since he bought, hardly a tourist, quality or other is he? He's probably lived here longer than you! A tourist would be a person that visits a country with a view to having a vacation and maybe "touring" around the sites a bit. A tourist is not everybody living here that gets arrested or makes a fool out of himself when drunk. Would you be an Aussie by any chance?

crying.gif By the looks of his eyes' demeanor, this guy's clearly looking for a way out . . . . . 5 5 5

Hope they get him and get him good down there in France; because, all kidding aside, people like this do destroy countless lives and they don;t care as long as they can live it up themselves ! ! ! Rubbish man ! ! !

1zgarz5.gif

Those of us who possess a reasonable level of insight and humanity would appreciate it if ignorant folk like yourself—whose avatar titles never seem to offer even a glint of interest, humor or creativity—transitioned to forums that are commensurate with your standard. I do not mean offense, but you have made it evident through the statement: "people like this do destroy countless lives".

We live in the internet age and even a five-year-old could comprehend such concepts as "drug definition" and "history of drug use in human civilizations"; but yet, you as an adult (I presume) continue to view the subject of drug use in overly simplistic and inaccurate terms. For example, would you be equally willing to share your genius if an alcohol magnate or car industry billionaire was arrested somewhere in the world?? We know that those industries have killed countless lives. "Oh, but people choose to drink and/or drive", I hear you say ... because no-one ever chooses to take cocaine or heroin ... "Oh, but alcohol and cars have greatly benefited humanity" ... like, I said, please transition to an intellectual level that you are actually qualified for and destroy most of what you own, as all items were invented/created by drug users ... "Oh, but these drugs are illegal" ... so as long as something is legal, it doesn't matter how much harm it causes??

Seriously, take your ignorance and go dole it out to people who are equally idiotic. Thanks in advance.

You are wrong on so many levels.

Rather then looking at other industries that can potentially cause harm to people (legal or not) and use that as your extremely weak justification for the legitimate existence of the drug trade why don't you learn about exactly what these drugs do to society.

Applying your logic we should shut down Macdonlads as obesity and heart disease are killers,, utter nonsense of course but just as legitimate as your car manufacturer and alcohol example.

I agree that it takes demand for there to be supply and people chose to take them so there needs to be a 2 pronged attack on the drug trade. 1 is education, 2 is kill the source.

In my personal view there are far too many people who condone and / or glamorize drugs as acceptable in moderation, particularly idiots who partake on occasion and then spout their crap about how harmless it is if used correctly. Well, it is never that simple. There are slums all over the world full of addicts who are living a life of misery, spouting additional crimes such as robbery, burglary, prostitution and even murder.

I have seen the terrible consequences of this addiction some years ago. My friends sister was unfortunate to partake in some recreational drugs (after talking to some condoning idiot no doubt) only to move onto much harder drugs resulting in her addiction and ultimately tragic death,, she left her baby son behind.

I myself have never, ever seen anything but misery at the end of the road when you get involved in this crap. There is no happy ending when you get wrapped up in heroin or other terrible drugs, I have never heard of anyone succeeding in happiness through her heroin, have you?

So, stop trying to exercise your intellect and stop over thinking what is basically a very simple thing to comprehend. These drugs are bad and they devastate societies, the dealers that profit from peoples misery are bad and the quicker we can educate people, silence the idiots who condone it and shut down the sources the better.

"Another quality Brit tourist" He bought a property there in 2008, so that's 7 years since he bought, hardly a tourist, quality or other is he? He's probably lived here longer than you! A tourist would be a person that visits a country with a view to having a vacation and maybe "touring" around the sites a bit. A tourist is not everybody living here that gets arrested or makes a fool out of himself when drunk. Would you be an Aussie by any chance?

Wrong.

In Thailand they do the border runs and become the forever tourists, they even buy land and businesses illegally using up front Thai names.

Having been here for the long term and allegedly owning property is no indication of these criminals visa status here in Thailand.

• Like 1

I only wish that the Australian authorities had cooperated with the New Zealand police, and held the French sabotage team who blew up the Rainbow Warrior, sinking it and thus killing a person on board. Do some research.

​i suggest you do the same australia had nothing to do with the rainbow warrior nz police caught them and did a deal with france on their punishment which the french reneged on when they had them back

• Like 1

crying.gif By the looks of his eyes' demeanor, this guy's clearly looking for a way out . . . . . 5 5 5

Hope they get him and get him good down there in France; because, all kidding aside, people like this do destroy countless lives and they don;t care as long as they can live it up themselves ! ! ! Rubbish man ! ! !

1zgarz5.gif

Disagree. When people go looking for drugs their lives are already ruined. It is not the dealers that keep the illegal drug industry flourishing, it is the users.

If people want, somebody will supply. Take away a supplier, someone else will supply. Take away a consumer, the market wii be decreased. Decrease the demand, you decrease the suppliers and weaken the industry. Economics 101.

However, weaken the industry and shippers, government workers, gun manufacturers, spy equipment manufacturers, politicians, and banks will lose money. And we know that is not going to happen.

Not 100% true as evidenced by the so called war on drugs. Busting the users/consumers has not had any effect on the drug trade at all.

1zgarz5.gif

Those of us who possess a reasonable level of insight and humanity would appreciate it if ignorant folk like yourself—whose avatar titles never seem to offer even a glint of interest, humor or creativity—transitioned to forums that are commensurate with your standard. I do not mean offense, but you have made it evident through the statement: "people like this do destroy countless lives".

We live in the internet age and even a five-year-old could comprehend such concepts as "drug definition" and "history of drug use in human civilizations"; but yet, you as an adult (I presume) continue to view the subject of drug use in overly simplistic and inaccurate terms. For example, would you be equally willing to share your genius if an alcohol magnate or car industry billionaire was arrested somewhere in the world?? We know that those industries have killed countless lives. "Oh, but people choose to drink and/or drive", I hear you say ... because no-one ever chooses to take cocaine or heroin ... "Oh, but alcohol and cars have greatly benefited humanity" ... like, I said, please transition to an intellectual level that you are actually qualified for and destroy most of what you own, as all items were invented/created by drug users ... "Oh, but these drugs are illegal" ... so as long as something is legal, it doesn't matter how much harm it causes??

Seriously, take your ignorance and go dole it out to people who are equally idiotic. Thanks in advance.

Rather then looking at other industries that can potentially cause harm to people (legal or not) and use that as your extremely weak justification for the legitimate existence of the drug trade why don't you learn about exactly what these drugs do to society.

Applying your logic we should shut down Macdonlads as obesity and heart disease are killers,, utter nonsense of course but just as legitimate as your car manufacturer and alcohol example.

I agree that it takes demand for there to be supply and people chose to take them so there needs to be a 2 pronged attack on the drug trade. 1 is education, 2 is kill the source.

In my personal view there are far too many people who condone and / or glamorize drugs as acceptable in moderation, particularly idiots who partake on occasion and then spout their crap about how harmless it is if used correctly. Well, it is never that simple. There are slums all over the world full of addicts who are living a life of misery, spouting additional crimes such as robbery, burglary, prostitution and even murder.

I have seen the terrible consequences of this addiction some years ago. My friends sister was unfortunate to partake in some recreational drugs (after talking to some condoning idiot no doubt) only to move onto much harder drugs resulting in her addiction and ultimately tragic death,, she left her baby son behind.

I myself have never, ever seen anything but misery at the end of the road when you get involved in this crap. There is no happy ending when you get wrapped up in heroin or other terrible drugs, I have never heard of anyone succeeding in happiness through her heroin, have you?

So, stop trying to exercise your intellect and stop over thinking what is basically a very simple thing to comprehend. These drugs are bad and they devastate societies, the dealers that profit from peoples misery are bad and the quicker we can educate people, silence the idiots who condone it and shut down the sources the better.

I can tell you far more stories about the legal drug called alcohol that does so much damage because its legal. Everyone condones it and its no different then the hard drugs. Even marijuana is less dangerous as alcohol and now used to help with cancer. But still its illigal. It does not say a thing about how harmfull something is just how it is labeled.

For now the beloved drug alcohol does more damage then the illegal drugs combined.

Some UK stats

The latest figures from the Office for National Statistics show that, in 2011, 8,748 people died from alcohol-related deaths. The National Statistics definition includes only those deaths from causes regarded as being most directly caused due to alcohol consumption, and not other diseases where alcohol has some causal relationship, such as cancers of the mouth, oesophagus and liver, and also does not include deaths from road traffic and other accidents. [2]

ONS figures for drug poisoning deaths in England and Wales in 2011 were 2,652, down from 2,928 in 2008. These figures include accidental and deliberate overdose with medicines (excluding paracetamol, which is related to roughly 1,000 deaths per year, most of which is suicide). However, the most recent statistics show that deaths involving just drugs of misuse have dropped to 1,605, down from 1,939 in 2008. [5]

So yes drugs are bad.. but alcohol is a drug and does the most damage.

• Like 2

Off topic posts and replies have been removed. Another post violating this forum rule has been removed:

11) Do not post slurs, degrading or overly negative comments directed towards Thailand, specific locations, Thai institutions such as the judicial or law enforcement system, Thai culture, Thai people or any other group on the basis of race, nationality, religion, gender or sexual orientation.

• Like 1

The beauty of it all - The biggest crime committed in this scenario is that the Thai police took too much time for the arrest etc.

The innocent, cherubic drug lord was merely selling some stuff for his existence.

Oh Thailand, why do you do so many mistakes?

It's quite disturbing that so many of you guys, I mean farrangs, alrady have passed sentence and verdict on Mr. France.

I always thought you were innocent until proven guilty.

Personally, I don't have a clue what he has done or what he's been doing all along and quite frankly, I don't care.

If the court finds him guilty of the charges against him, I could also be judgemental and have a negative opinion towards him and his choice of "profession", but until then , at least I wouldn't let my keyboard be an anonymus voice claiming to know anything or everything.

I'm very surprised to see this many people claiming to KNOW so much they possibly don't have a clue about.

I'm just guessing now, but I bet the majority of the people here spewing so much crap would never do anything if they would be approached by a drug dealer or seing any other crime being commited.

It's sooo easy to sit behind the keyboard and ventilate your frustration without any thought about the possible damage that might be the result of such action. Remember, Mr. France to my knowledge isn't convicted yet. No defense but I actually don't know ANYTHING about him or his previous actions.

• Like 1

Let's not forget that he is a suspect, he has not been convicted of anything yet.

It's quite possible that he is innocent.

A least France appears to have an advanced and fair legal system, he's probably much better off in a French court than a Thai one.

I have read that French prisons are extremely harsh compared to the UK, he is in for a rough time.

At the early stage I guess it's the quality of the justice system that's really important.

I knew a guy who did some time in both English and French prisons, he said they are similar in that it really depends which prison you end up in. Both France and England have horrible dirty old prisons and modern clean and nice ones.

Comfort for a prisoner goes beyond his surroundings. The ability to stay in contact with family and friends is very important to any prisoner and I guess he will have a hard time with that if he's locked up in France.

France has an investigative system of justice, the UK has an adversarial system of justice. If you are innocent you want the former, if you are guilty and pretending to be innocent you want the later and enough money to get a good barrister.

I am Guilty, I don't know of what, but definitely something, so therefore I am not innocent.

Apart from that I am still waiting for the pointing finger to confirm that the guy is actually guilty. How can you have a picture of someone arrested in Thailand and not have the pointy finger? its scandalous!

It's quite disturbing that so many of you guys, I mean farrangs, alrady have passed sentence and verdict on Mr. France.

Personally, I don't have a clue what he has done or what he's been doing all along and quite frankly, I don't care.

If the court finds him guilty of the charges against him, I could also be judgemental and have a negative opinion towards him and his choice of "profession", but until then , at least I wouldn't let my keyboard be an anonymus voice claiming to know anything or everything.

I'm very surprised to see this many people claiming to KNOW so much they possibly don't have a clue about.

I'm just guessing now, but I bet the majority of the people here spewing so much crap would never do anything if they would be approached by a drug dealer or seing any other crime being commited.

It's sooo easy to sit behind the keyboard and ventilate your frustration without any thought about the possible damage that might be the result of such action. Remember, Mr. France to my knowledge isn't convicted yet. No defense but I actually don't know ANYTHING about him or his previous actions.

ok, fair point but at the end of the day this is forum for people to voice opinion, it is not a court of law. People do not need to have the conviction confirmed before they voice their opinion.

Also, bear in mind that there must be very strong evidence linking him to the crime for Interpol to get involved and issue an International arrest warrant, they won't do this unless this is the case. Extradition is a complicated and very expensive process and they will not pursue this until they are fairly certain of a conviction.

It may be unfair for people to comment on how terrible this man is as he is not convicted yet, but i suspect there is more then a strong possibility that he will be. Perhaps you can wait until conviction and come back to the forum in a year or so and tell us what a scumbag he is then.

1zgarz5.gif

I can tell you far more stories about the legal drug called alcohol that does so much damage because its legal. Everyone condones it and its no different then the hard drugs. Even marijuana is less dangerous as alcohol and now used to help with cancer. But still its illigal. It does not say a thing about how harmfull something is just how it is labeled.

For now the beloved drug alcohol does more damage then the illegal drugs combined.

Some UK stats

The latest figures from the Office for National Statistics show that, in 2011, 8,748 people died from alcohol-related deaths. The National Statistics definition includes only those deaths from causes regarded as being most directly caused due to alcohol consumption, and not other diseases where alcohol has some causal relationship, such as cancers of the mouth, oesophagus and liver, and also does not include deaths from road traffic and other accidents. [2]

ONS figures for drug poisoning deaths in England and Wales in 2011 were 2,652, down from 2,928 in 2008. These figures include accidental and deliberate overdose with medicines (excluding paracetamol, which is related to roughly 1,000 deaths per year, most of which is suicide). However, the most recent statistics show that deaths involving just drugs of misuse have dropped to 1,605, down from 1,939 in 2008. [5]

So yes drugs are bad.. but alcohol is a drug and does the most damage.

So, you are just repeating your point before. You are comparing other potentially harmful things to justify the existence of the drug trade. It is such a poor argument, I would post examples on here about the damage of heroin but I think that would be an insult to you and other readers intelligence as everyone surely already knows how devastating the drug is.

For marijuana who said it is less dangerous then alcohol? is this just your opinion? I do not obviously know this but you "sound" like a "recreational" drug user who is trying to convince himself and others that your habit is ok. If true I doubt you will admit to it here on this forum though.

So, it may be used for helping cancer victims but so is chemotherapy and other drugs but they are not recreational are they.

Marijuana is not harmless! I also note that you do not include tobacco in your attack on legal and harmful things. why? Because marijuana is often smoked and is scientifically proven to be more carcinogenic then tobacco alone,, BUT you appear to endorse Marijuana so it doesn't suit you to attack cigarettes which is hypocritical.

Also marijuana can effect your brain functions, memory, mental health, sperm reproduction, defects in unborn children, lack of drive and ambition, etc, etc.

So, I for one don't want it legalized. i don't want to see it on the shelves in supermarkets next to cigarettes and being smoked in the street by teenagers and i don't want to see people openly stoned walking around when i am with my kids. I am wiling to bet i am not alone in this.

http://www.drugfreeworld.org/drugfacts/marijuana/the-harmful-effects.html

Last point, this man is charged with heroin smuggling so don't muddy the waters by adding your opinion on marijuana.

I have read somewhere that 50% of the Poms living in Thailand are active or retired criminals.......wouldn't surprise me

The fact that it would not surprise you means that of the "Poms" you know many are active or retired criminals........

You are obviously mixing in the wrong circles - and probably believe that the rest are ex special forces........jerk.gif

It's just surprising he admits to "reading somewhere" - maybe they had good pictures.

All the drug dealers and traffickers are scumbags. Happy to screw peoples lives for their profit. Being a scumbag isn't confined to particular nationalities.

At least the RTP appear to have taken 3 out here. Let's see them convicted and sentenced.

ok, fair point but at the end of the day this is forum for people to voice opinion, it is not a court of law. People do not need to have the conviction confirmed before they voice their opinion.

Also, bear in mind that there must be very strong evidence linking him to the crime for Interpol to get involved and issue an International arrest warrant, they won't do this unless this is the case. Extradition is a complicated and very expensive process and they will not pursue this until they are fairly certain of a conviction.

It may be unfair for people to comment on how terrible this man is as he is not convicted yet, but i suspect there is more then a strong possibility that he will be. Perhaps you can wait until conviction and come back to the forum in a year or so and tell us what a scumbag he is then.

Even in a forum like this he could probably press charges against you or TV for not erasing what you type here if he's aquited.

Every word anyone publish is still punishable if the printed word becomes slander or false information about a private citizen, no don't need to be a citizen of LOS, and if his business/private life gets seriosly damaged because what's been typed here on TV.

They must have a responsible publisher that has to take the fall if it happens.

If Mr. France choose to do IF he's aquited, it will probably fall under a civil case.

I can assure you one thing, if this happened to me and someone would write this kind of crap about me, I would definitevely pursue this in court, and in any civilised country, I would probably win.

Don't mistake a forum to be your personal womit bag.

Just wait a year or two or whatever time it takes for the verdict to fall, before womitting uncontrollably on the keyboard. I DO NOT condone drug crimes or any other type of serious crime, but I can't just ignore how stupid and ignorant people can become just because they are able to type anything, almost without being challenged how stupid they really are.

I'm defending the right for free speech, the right for being innocent until proven guilty. Free speech IS NOT the right to slander or having an opinion about other people, it's the right to publish or speak the truth about whatever it is, it doesn't mean you are free to print anything you actually don't know shit about that could do damage to another person/s.

Edited by KamalaRider