Cha-am: Police arrest British national wanted in France for suspected drug trafficking

webfact

For marijuana who said it is less dangerous then alcohol? is this just your opinion?

Results of scientific research supports that assertion.

20101106_WOC504_0.gif

Alcohol is the most harmful drug in Britain, scoring 72 out of a possible 100, far more damaging than heroin (55) or crack cocaine (54). It is the most harmful to others by a wide margin, and is ranked fourth behind heroin, crack, and methamphetamine (crystal meth) for harm to the individual. The authors point out that the model's weightings, though based on judgment, were analysed and found to be stable as large changes would be needed to change the overall rankings.

Source: Scoring drugs by The Economist online

This "drug baron" was merely a businessman satisfying consumer demand. It is hypocritical to demonize anyone involved in the illegal drug trade and its end users whilst at the same time have no problem with the businesses involved in the trade of legal but more harmful substances and its users. I find it extremely ironic to see police officers smoking tobacco and drinking whisky heavily yet they still arrest and charge someone who is in possession of a gram of dried plant matter (Phuket Police sting operation nets Brit and Nigerian for drugs).

If you spend some time reading and watching widely about the enormous topic of psychoactive substances and their use in different societies, cultures, religions, and medicine, you would have a better understanding of why the existing drug laws are farcical. I have personally spent plenty of time doing so.

Existing drug laws and their enforcement are not based on the harm that the drugs directly cause. The enforcement itself often cause more harm than the drugs themselves, especially in the case of soft drugs like cannabis. It's very much a waste of taxpayers money that could instead be put to much better and more productive uses.

People should become more aware of the differences in the levels of harm of different drugs. The common belief that all illegal drugs are harmful (and equally so) and that all legal drugs are safe is an extremely simple-minded misconception. Here are some links to some scientific studies that have explored the harmfulness of various drugs:

Drug harms in the UK a multicriteria decision analysis

Quantifying the RR of harm to self and others from substance misuse results from a survey of clinical experts across Scotland

Development of a rational scale to assess the harm of drugs of potential misuse

These studies show that alcohol and tobacco are even more harmful than many of the illegal drugs. If anyone knows of other studies that compare different drugs then please mention them.

Decriminalization, legalization, regulation, taxation, and education (about responsible use focused on harm reduction), starting with the least harmful illegal drugs like cannabis and MDMA is the best way forward.

I hope that the authorities are starting to become aware that the "just say no" anti-drug campaign does not work; it's better that this realisation is late than never. Factual education that is based on scientific studies about the effects and risks (including addiction), and how to minimise the risks in case they are ever in a situation in which they have the option to consume any drug, would be better.

Maybe it's a little like teenage sexual activity - it's going to happen (due to innate evolutionary urges) regardless of how much they are all told to refrain, so teaching them about condoms is the better way than "just don't do it".

Once people know which drugs are very harmful in comparison to others and are well-informed of the effects, and if they are insistent on seeking out and trying something, they may choose to try the least harmful drugs instead. e.g. for partying, instead of crystal methamphetamine ("ice") they may choose to take MDMA instead as it is far less harmful (particularly less addictive) whilst still extremely enjoyable, i.e. the enjoyment-to-risks ratio is far higher with MDMA.

Edited by hyperdimension

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Those of us who possess a reasonable level of insight and humanity would appreciate it if ignorant folk like yourself—whose avatar titles never seem to offer even a glint of interest, humor or creativity—transitioned to forums that are commensurate with your standard. I do not mean offense, but you have made it evident through the statement: "people like this do destroy countless lives".

We live in the internet age and even a five-year-old could comprehend such concepts as "drug definition" and "history of drug use in human civilizations"; but yet, you as an adult (I presume) continue to view the subject of drug use in overly simplistic and inaccurate terms. For example, would you be equally willing to share your genius if an alcohol magnate or car industry billionaire was arrested somewhere in the world?? We know that those industries have killed countless lives. "Oh, but people choose to drink and/or drive", I hear you say ... because no-one ever chooses to take cocaine or heroin ... "Oh, but alcohol and cars have greatly benefited humanity" ... like, I said, please transition to an intellectual level that you are actually qualified for and destroy most of what you own, as all items were invented/created by drug users ... "Oh, but these drugs are illegal" ... so as long as something is legal, it doesn't matter how much harm it causes??

Seriously, take your ignorance and go dole it out to people who are equally idiotic. Thanks in advance.

You are wrong on so many levels.

Rather then looking at other industries that can potentially cause harm to people (legal or not) and use that as your extremely weak justification for the legitimate existence of the drug trade why don't you learn about exactly what these drugs do to society.

Applying your logic we should shut down Macdonlads as obesity and heart disease are killers,, utter nonsense of course but just as legitimate as your car manufacturer and alcohol example.

I agree that it takes demand for there to be supply and people chose to take them so there needs to be a 2 pronged attack on the drug trade. 1 is education, 2 is kill the source.

In my personal view there are far too many people who condone and / or glamorize drugs as acceptable in moderation, particularly idiots who partake on occasion and then spout their crap about how harmless it is if used correctly. Well, it is never that simple. There are slums all over the world full of addicts who are living a life of misery, spouting additional crimes such as robbery, burglary, prostitution and even murder.

I have seen the terrible consequences of this addiction some years ago. My friends sister was unfortunate to partake in some recreational drugs (after talking to some condoning idiot no doubt) only to move onto much harder drugs resulting in her addiction and ultimately tragic death,, she left her baby son behind.

I myself have never, ever seen anything but misery at the end of the road when you get involved in this crap. There is no happy ending when you get wrapped up in heroin or other terrible drugs, I have never heard of anyone succeeding in happiness through her heroin, have you?

So, stop trying to exercise your intellect and stop over thinking what is basically a very simple thing to comprehend. These drugs are bad and they devastate societies, the dealers that profit from peoples misery are bad and the quicker we can educate people, silence the idiots who condone it and shut down the sources the better.

I can tell you far more stories about the legal drug called alcohol that does so much damage because its legal. Everyone condones it and its no different then the hard drugs. Even marijuana is less dangerous as alcohol and now used to help with cancer. But still its illigal. It does not say a thing about how harmfull something is just how it is labeled.

For now the beloved drug alcohol does more damage then the illegal drugs combined.

Some UK stats

The latest figures from the Office for National Statistics show that, in 2011, 8,748 people died from alcohol-related deaths. The National Statistics definition includes only those deaths from causes regarded as being most directly caused due to alcohol consumption, and not other diseases where alcohol has some causal relationship, such as cancers of the mouth, oesophagus and liver, and also does not include deaths from road traffic and other accidents. [2]

ONS figures for drug poisoning deaths in England and Wales in 2011 were 2,652, down from 2,928 in 2008. These figures include accidental and deliberate overdose with medicines (excluding paracetamol, which is related to roughly 1,000 deaths per year, most of which is suicide). However, the most recent statistics show that deaths involving just drugs of misuse have dropped to 1,605, down from 1,939 in 2008. [5]

So yes drugs are bad.. but alcohol is a drug and does the most damage.

So, you are just repeating your point before. You are comparing other potentially harmful things to justify the existence of the drug trade. It is such a poor argument, I would post examples on here about the damage of heroin but I think that would be an insult to you and other readers intelligence as everyone surely already knows how devastating the drug is.

For marijuana who said it is less dangerous then alcohol? is this just your opinion? I do not obviously know this but you "sound" like a "recreational" drug user who is trying to convince himself and others that your habit is ok. If true I doubt you will admit to it here on this forum though.

So, it may be used for helping cancer victims but so is chemotherapy and other drugs but they are not recreational are they.

Marijuana is not harmless! I also note that you do not include tobacco in your attack on legal and harmful things. why? Because marijuana is often smoked and is scientifically proven to be more carcinogenic then tobacco alone,, BUT you appear to endorse Marijuana so it doesn't suit you to attack cigarettes which is hypocritical.

Also marijuana can effect your brain functions, memory, mental health, sperm reproduction, defects in unborn children, lack of drive and ambition, etc, etc.

So, I for one don't want it legalized. i don't want to see it on the shelves in supermarkets next to cigarettes and being smoked in the street by teenagers and i don't want to see people openly stoned walking around when i am with my kids. I am wiling to bet i am not alone in this.

http://www.drugfreeworld.org/drugfacts/marijuana/the-harmful-effects.html

Last point, this man is charged with heroin smuggling so don't muddy the waters by adding your opinion on marijuana.

To your last point.. I agree he is a criminal and needs to go to trial.

As for your other points, i have already demonstrated that science tells me I am right.

Yes comparing something with something else harmful is poor, but it is still a comparison. I bet you consume alcohol.

And I dont want to see beer in supermarkets and I dont want drunk people around my kids.. do you know how stupid that sounds. Same stupid as about marijuana.

There might be bad effects but they are not as bad as all that american propaganda your putting there. Slowly country after country is seeing the light.

Its called freedom and I want it, as for people high on drugs.. driving doing bad things.. catch them punish them ect ect. Do the same to them as those caught with alcohol, actually make punishment higher on both of them. Nobody under the influence of anything should ever operate a vehicle.

The only people that have good arguments are those for banning it all inclusive alcohol all others are just hypocrites.