Salt Water Fishing - Chumphon Area

Canuck50

I am partners in a 45 foot boat based in Chumphon area that is diesel and has a Thai captain. The boat is equipped with an on-board generator, lights for squid fishing, and sonar/gps. Currently the boat has been used primarily for SCUBA diving out at the islands but is very under utilized. I am not a diver myself but very interested in fishing with many years experience in the west for salmon etc. My goal is to establish a group of interested parties who either have suitable gear, or willing to buy their own gear, to fish on a regular bases by sharing the operating costs of the boat. I would expect to do a combination of trolling, jigging, and using live bait rigs, but would eventually focus on what works the best in the area. Since the boat is equipped for squid fishing already, I would like to build a live bait well, catch squid the night before, and use as live bait the next morning.

So far I have had marginal success personally with King Mackerel and Barracuda, while trolling inside the islands (during diving trips). I expect there would be greater success achieved by going just outside the islands where the bottom drops off. It is a bit of a learning curve for me in these new waters so it would be a big bonus to find someone who has experience in these waters already, but not a requirement of course. I have heard opposing opinions about the fishery here....some say it is already fished out but others say you just have to find the right spots and the locals have great success still. I met with several tackle shop owners in the area who regularly fish the islands and claim to have good catches and have photos to back it up. Of course they only divulge so much information!

Anyone who might be interested, please reply by either posting or PM directly.

Edited by Canuck50

• 1 month later...

I'm interested in coming down to Chumphon for a visit and fishing trip,would you let me know the cost of a day out.

Mike.

Currently the boat rents out at 9,000 Baht per full day, including fuel, Thai captain and helper. On that basis you would have to bring your own tackle/bait and expertise, as we are not providing those services at this time.

My original post was intended to find local fishermen with an ongoing interest in forming a club for regular trips in the area around the islands off Chumphon. As such there would be a substantial reduction in the boat cost which would be shared among four or so people. Again, each would need there own fishing gear. But to date I have seen no interest. Not sure if there are no fishermen in the area or a prevailing belief that salt water fishing opportunities are poor. Any feedback would be appreciated!

Mike, if you have an interest in renting the boat, please PM me with the time-frame you intend to be here.

Do you have a photo of the boat handy or a dive website?

Sorry, no dive website. If you are interested in going diving, please PM me and I will put you onto my partner who schedules the dive trips. Currently we have 8 diving club members who are just filtering back from trips overseas so the diving activity will be ramping up considerably over the coming months. We also have a PADI instructor available for anyone interested in lessons.

• 1 month later...

Use your depth sounder if you have one .. try live baiting with the squid you catch at night when they are fresh, send them to the depth you are marking fish at .. if there are any predators around you'll find out : )

If you don't have the electronics , try sending the squid down apx. 30 - 50 meter's ..

if there are squid around .. there's bound to be something that eat's them .. patience is required to learn new area's and technics .....

I catch YFT , small Swordfish at nite here where I live .. using this method ..

Salt water game fishing the tropics .. is not salmon fishing .. if you are trolling with repala's .. barracuda and spanish mac's are about what you can expect to catch ...

Tight lines and good luck ...

Use your depth sounder if you have one .. try live baiting with the squid you catch at night when they are fresh, send them to the depth you are marking fish at .. if there are any predators around you'll find out : )

If you don't have the electronics , try sending the squid down apx. 30 - 50 meter's ..

if there are squid around .. there's bound to be something that eat's them .. patience is required to learn new area's and technics .....

I catch YFT , small Swordfish at nite here where I live .. using this method ..

Salt water game fishing the tropics .. is not salmon fishing .. if you are trolling with repala's .. barracuda and spanish mac's are about what you can expect to catch ...

Tight lines and good luck ...

Thanks for the tips. What area do you live/fish?

From the west coast u.s. ... living in the tropics - Bali 15+ years - charter biz trolling , jigging , popping ..

before Indo , 10 years on Guam small boat - commercial - trolling , deep bottom

Learning a new area with no western charter skippers in the area .. not easy .. i did that here .. to become consistent ...

it took years, allot of fuel and using all the knowledge accumulated over a lifetime of hobby and 25 yrs. professional experience. ..

you might check out the yearly run of sailfish that happens in Rompin , Malaysia .. maybe they migrate into your area ?