Whats better, teaching in Thailand, or teaching in China?

Iwantto

Well, I just retired to Chiangmai after spending the last six years of my teaching career in Wuhan, China. ...... But six years was long enough for us!

A much truer account of China than some of the posters. I have found China a lot cheaper that Thailand. Thailand is getting more expensive every time I visit.

I guess all people have different experiences. The average wage for EFL teachers in china is between 6-9kRMB a month and for that you might as well stay in Thailand.

12k RMB is ok but remember taxes are quite high. I am not sure but think that 12k would be taxed at about 16%. It is also difficult to exchange money out and you typically lose on the exchange rate. The government puts strict controls on currency for obvious reasons.

If rent is included, you should be able to save about 1k USD a year out of that 12k. Korea pays better overall and you get a year severance at the end of the contract. China has cracked down this past year and it is harder to get jobs. You need an expert certificate. All jobs require a degree and many jobs require TESOL or a teacher's license. If you are experienced, certified, and the right degree many international schools pay very well. Government schools are tough and so are private English academies. I personally find Thai students much better behaved but I have never taught in poor government schools.

Overall, I like China a lot and think it is a good place to work if you can deal with the system.

"The same money will get you a much nicer condo or apartment in China than in Chiangmai."

I don't know where you lived but no way that is true. The average 1 room apartment in any city worth living in China costs a minimum of 2-3k RMB for 10-15k baht you could get a very nice house in CM.

The cost of living in China is at least 30% higher than Chiang Mai. Some of the poorer areas or smaller cities will be cheaper than BKK but overall China is more expensive. If you drink, eat out or party at all it is a lot more. If you just eat veggies, meats and the like from fresh markets it is slightly more expensive but comparable.

The other comment about it's transportation being second to none, Have you actually ever lived anywhere else? China's public transportation is slow, crammed, and stops early.

Korea's public transportation is better, Japan's is better, Most European cities are better.

As for the girls. Chinese women are crazy about white guys. You will have no problems finding respectable educated women who are interested in you. Gold diggers are everywhere but you are young and hopefully nice. Most of my friends here meet women all the time.

Good luck.

What I'm really looking for is fun... I love it here in Chiang Mai. I like the party scene, I like the town, I like my friends, I like the girls.... But I'm adventurous... I want to see the world you know? So I basically want this same life style.... I want a good party scene, cool people... And, most importantly, hot girls who are interested in me.... I'm not wanting to move to China to get rich... I just want to maintain a lifestyle.... I want to be able to go party 2 or 3 times a week, live in a decent place, and eat decent food when I want.

If you love it in CM. And you don't care about the money, job or school. It's all about hot girls and the party scen. Why would you even consider to move then?

And why ask where it's better to teach? When it's all about girls, party and getting laid?

Edited by larsjohnsson

Well teaching would be my job... but I want to keep my lifestyle. I want to move because Ive been here more than a year, its great, Ive had/have fun here... But I'm obviously not teaching in Asia for the money... Is anyone? I'm here to travel.... And this is part of my research before I make a big move with the next year of my life. I'm just information gathering.... Teaching is teaching.... I can adapt to this very easily anywhere in Asia. Its the lifestyle that will very. If I can live a good life and have fun in China, I will go. If people come on here and tell me how awful China is, how the girls hate white guys, how there is no party scene, how the food is awful, how the accommodation is awful... I wont go. Maybe I'll move my search to Vietnam, Cambodia, Burma... Thailand is my first Asian experience... And I love it.