Dead boy's family in Phuket 'mob' against Russians

webfact

Many posters seem to be cocentrating on Thai driving which I agree is far from safe and bloody dangerous most of the time.

However, the report is about a group of Russians (been drinking???) that have knocked a boy off his motorbike then left the scene of the accident (aparently one leaving on realising the boy was dead). They then have left the country after refusing to give their friends name.

They need to be held accountable regardless how the locals drive! One's got to ask though, what were the Thai police thinking? Why not take their passports? Why not make them report every day? Accidental or not, someone died and IMO they should have done more.

You're right. How can you drive away, if there's still hope to stop a bleeding, to do anything that might have helped the victim. Shame on them. I'd have stopped and helped and find it insane that posters here are writing that the boy didn't wear a helmet.

That was not the cause of his death. Rest in peace. Hope the Russian woman will go to hell.

Not so insane... i drive a bike.. 2 actually. I love driving them but if your not wearing a helmet and you get killed with head injury i feel that yourself are at least partly to blame for not wearing one. Sure its the car that hits you but things might have been a lot less worse if you had worn a helmet.

But i state again the perps should be held accountable.

Typical! Blame someone else. The family should first realise that their son was riding a bike at odd hours of the night without a crash helmet. That in itself is irresponsible and should go down to poor guidance from the parents. Societies acceptance of a lack of helmet does not help either. Yes, the Russians should have made a police report (it did not state if they did), and stayed back to closed up the loose ends of this accident. That is what it was an accident.

Either way, even if they had stayed back the end result would still be the same. A senseless death, why? because of clear disregard for safety.

This is more of the family not having the opportunity to milk money off these Russians for the loss of their child. IMHO.

Sorry RedNlvar, but I disagree with parts of what you wrote:

1. You can ride a bike at what ever time you want, what defines odd hours?

2. Poor guidance of parents the young lad was 16 years old, in many countries he can do wahtever he likes at that age (he was not a child)

3. Made a police report? its clearly written they did not stop, they drove off without stopping to check on the young lad

4. Milk money this statement is probably true but a young person has died I dont think its something that you or anyone else should say, imagine yourself in their position (its not always about money).

As you mentioned its a senseless death that maybe could have been prevented by wearing a helmet (law) But when young we dont think the same way as you do when older, I'm sure you took some risks when young, I know I did.

RIP

Like I said, the Russians should have owned up to what happens and seen the accident investigation through. I am not supporting their actions. Neither am I advocating the lads parents witch hunt for these Russians. Everything we say here is pure speculation, you can only make a u-turn at a certain speed which is not very fast (unless you're a professional driver). All I'm saying here is that if the speed limits were followed and the required safety devices was used, chances for a fatality would have significantly been reduced.

How many times have we seen this happen, with Russians, Thais or whoever. Instilling the right behaviour and education to ensure the proper safety is taken does not seem to be a priority in this country. Excuses are made blame is somehow shifted elsewhere.

In this case, had the Russians stopped at the scene of the accident when it happened, the outcome would still have been the same a senseless loss of life. As much as I hate to say it, compensations were not paid out and thus the issue has been blown up.

Edited by RedNIvar
  • Like 1

A 16 Y.O. wandering about at 1.A.M. No Crash Hat.If the Lad was mine id feel some resposibility.Perhaps im just Old Fashioned.RIP.

What on earth are spouting off about? He was killed by a car being driven illegally, helmet or not, the car driver caused his death.

You are quite correct chrissables. The driver was also probably drunk as well, since just leaving a party where alcohol bottles were piled everywhere. I am quite sure the Thai lad was not at fault in this case.

And for all those fuddy-duddies complaining about a kid being out at 1.00 AM - well just look at our Western countries now. Young peoples venues these days usually don't get going until midnight.

My condolences to the boy's family.

• Like 2

Don't blamed the boy as you hit and run that's a fault , let the police to investigate not hitting a cat or dog this is human we talking about sometimes the bike might not wearing helmet a short journey but we never knows when it will happen, don't drink and drive, it's not only hurt you and someone that we might killed like this accident a good lesson to warned of others.

• Like 1

I find the comments about "poor parenting" and "he wore no helmet" to be really at odds with the fact that a car with passengers struck and killed a lad and then left the scene. And in fact there was a second car as well. How callous is that? They left his body there and drove off, probably pissed.

That the Russians did something morally repulsive and should be held accountable is without question. But if he had worn a helmet things would have been much better so some blame also falls on him.

I drive a big bike and a scooter and a car in Thailand, I just feel that if you hit a bike with a car and they have no helmet or license they should be partly to blame as a helmet could have saved his life.

This of course does not excuse the Russians but not wearing a helmet has certainly contributed to the severity of the accident. I find it unfair to car drivers in general if they are being punished extra because someone did not wear a helmet.

I would never ride my bikes without a helmet.

But what these drivers did and fleeing the scene is unforgivable.

• Like 2

Typical! Blame someone else. The family should first realise that their son was riding a bike at odd hours of the night without a crash helmet. That in itself is irresponsible and should go down to poor guidance from the parents. Societies acceptance of a lack of helmet does not help either. Yes, the Russians should have made a police report (it did not state if they did), and stayed back to closed up the loose ends of this accident. That is what it was an accident.

Either way, even if they had stayed back the end result would still be the same. A senseless death, why? because of clear disregard for safety.

This is more of the family not having the opportunity to milk money off these Russians for the loss of their child. IMHO.

The way I understand your post the lack of a helmet caused him to be hit, what kind reasoning is this. Yes he may have survived the crash if he had a helmet on but the Russian hit him with a car, duh

• Like 2

I find the comments about "poor parenting" and "he wore no helmet" to be really at odds with the fact that a car with passengers struck and killed a lad and then left the scene. And in fact there was a second car as well. How callous is that? They left his body there and drove off, probably pissed.

That the Russians did something morally repulsive and should be held accountable is without question. But if he had worn a helmet things would have been much better so some blame also falls on him.

I drive a big bike and a scooter and a car in Thailand, I just feel that if you hit a bike with a car and they have no helmet or license they should be partly to blame as a helmet could have saved his life.

This of course does not excuse the Russians but not wearing a helmet has certainly contributed to the severity of the accident. I find it unfair to car drivers in general if they are being punished extra because someone did not wear a helmet.

I would never ride my bikes without a helmet.

But what these drivers did and fleeing the scene is unforgivable.

You are talking crap. If a car hits you and you are riding in a safe and legal way, the car driver is guilty, not the biker, not 1%. Also you have no idea if a helmet would have helped or not. Unless you were there and saw what happened.

You are talking crap.. without a helmet your not riding legal.

• Like 2

A 16 Y.O. wandering about at 1.A.M. No Crash Hat.If the Lad was mine id feel some resposibility.Perhaps im just Old Fashioned.RIP.

" Wandering" I thought he was out getting mosquito repellent... His mistake was not wearing the bike helmet ..may have just saved his life.

Of course the perps must be put to trial.

Horrible to just let the kid die in the street and drive away.

I hope this will haunt them the rest of their lives and that they will be brought to justice !

RIP young man and lots of strength to the family.

Having children myself I can only imagine your pain.

That being said, the comments towards Russians in general in the article, are way out of place.

Like hit and run never happens in Thailand with Thai drivers.

Remember: the Red Bull heir.

A pilar of society, even drags the victim along with his car for another 100 meters, before speeding off.

His friends didn't even have to mention his last name.

A battery of lawyers, judges and other influentials made sure that justice never got a chance.

Are all Thais then all of a sudden sociopathic people without feelings.

No, of course not !

As terrible as this behavior is, it is not a national trait, neither for Thais nor for Russians.

• Like 1