Dead boy's family in Phuket 'mob' against Russians

webfact

There needs to be an investigation..Why did the police not with hold the passport? They had the person responsible for the accident..where talking manslaughter here. What were the 4 police officers doing when the car went through their check point? Are they there just for looks. I can only read what is presented in article and If he was out just getting mosquito repellent at 1am in the morning then why cant the locals go about their business without being killed.... The police have a lot to answer for here..anyway why not get the name from the car rental mob..Sad loss for the family

• Like 1

A 16 Y.O. wandering about at 1.A.M. No Crash Hat.If the Lad was mine id feel some resposibility.Perhaps im just Old Fashioned.RIP.

People at that age work, they could be leaving their work-out to get some mozzie killer---What do you mean "wondering about " 1am here is not late unless you work in a bank.

The crash hat is a technical offence, and stupidly like most Thais they hate them.

The main point you missed--you forgot ???? who hit who ??? your just not old fashioned, your focusing on the deceased not the killers.

I want to ask you--is it against the law to ride a m/cycle at 1 am ????

• Like 2

I do have to agree with the Thai family for the failure of the police for not seizing the only valid witnesses passport.

But in saying that my wifes brother inlaw is a high ranking police investingator in cases like this and if you knew the amount of cases

and conditions he has to work under its no wonder poor police proceedure exist in this land

RIP Little Buddy

Why would she have her passport seized? She made a statement as a witness but she has done nothing wrong. It would be very wrong to hold her passport.

Basically, the couple have fled and gone back home. It is tragic but it was an accident and fleeing the scene is just the normal thing in Thailand,, or at least that is how it seems.

So, there really is nothing the police can do about this. They will never track the driver down.

Do you really think that the Russians have flown home? The police state they don't even know their names? Do you really think that the Chalong Police if they were so inclined could not persuade by some manner or means the silent friends to identify the suspects? Of course they could. This is the notorious Chalong Police and as always the sweet aroma of tea abounds.

• Like 1

Wait... so if a Thai runs someone down on a bicycle or motorbike and kills them (which is practically a daily occurrence), it's ok... som nom nah...shouldn't have been on the road. But when a foreigner does it, let's riot.

A) MOST of these accidents are due to negligence and regardless of where they're from, there should be stiff penalties for reckless/careless driving (but police are lazy and easily bought so, this will never happen).

cool.png This 'mob' is probably more about a long ongoing irritation with Russian tourists (or perhaps tourists in general) than this particular incident. Perhaps the police should enforce laws better to keep tourists in line (Oh yeah...forgot, they're useless).

C) Wear a <removed> helmet. I'm still astonished when I see three drunk idiots flying down the road on one scooter, no helmets and all over the road. They crash, they die, nobody cares. If only the police..... nevermind.

• Like 2

You are talking crap.. without a helmet your not riding legal.

Comparing riding without a helmet to fleeing the scene of a fatal accident is like comparing slapping someone in the face to stabbing him 34 times though.

You obviously did not read any of my other posts where i condemm the hit and run and calling it morally repulsive. Where i say they need to be held accountable.

All what I am saying is that riding without a helmet has probably made this worse and i feel that that should be taken into account.

I ride bikes and a car here in Thailand have been for 8 years now. I always wear a helmet as it can safe my life not because its mandatory. But I feel that not wearing a helmet and getting hit you are partly responsible too because then something that you could have survived turns into something deadly. I feel that its unfair to put that squarely on the shoulders of a car driver.

That really does not excuse the driver here from hitting and running.

Lets think clearly - we have bad and irresponsible people in every country either it Russia, Thailand, USA or whatever. Why say that ALL Russians are bad base on few man? Base on this we could say that every man in world is maniac or worse

Also I could say that 76% of Thai drivers wouldnt stop at all, at least in Bangkok.

Edited by SergeyKot

I've said it before and I'll say it again. This is just the beginning with these Russian's. They need controlling.

yes, yes. only russians do things like this. never thai, british, australien or us citizen and so on did this before killing someone on the street and running away clap2.gif

Edited by benny1616

Can a 16 yo legally have a license to drive a motorbike? What is the legal driving age in Thailand?

You are not asking the question--Did the Russians have international license to drive ?? did they have Thai drivers license ??? were they insured/allowed to drive the hire car, how many names were on the rental agreement-to drive the car--many questions to be asked BEFORE checking on the deceased lad, you want the coffin to go to jail ???

yes stay at the scene and wait to receive Thai justice for a foreigner. It reminds me of what an old British boxer Henry Cooper once said about fighting in Italy ' you have to knock them out to get a draw there.

• Like 2

Typical! Blame someone else. The family should first realise that their son was riding a bike at odd hours of the night without a crash helmet. That in itself is irresponsible and should go down to poor guidance from the parents. Societies acceptance of a lack of helmet does not help either. Yes, the Russians should have made a police report (it did not state if they did), and stayed back to closed up the loose ends of this accident. That is what it was an accident.

Either way, even if they had stayed back the end result would still be the same. A senseless death, why? because of clear disregard for safety.

This is more of the family not having the opportunity to milk money off these Russians for the loss of their child. IMHO.

Yes, I agree since the child is dead that the only thing left to do is make some money on it. What else can be done. If you drive in this country u know how a 16 yrs old does it and I doubt he was out for medicine for his grandma. Did you ever see a policeman stop anyone while driving on the road breaking the laws, no - only at there stop stations where they extort money from you (take a bribe). I don't blame the woman for leaving the country because they already knew they were going to get the shaft no matter what the boy did. RIP I feel sorry about what happened and I'm sure the Russians are too and it will live inside of them for ever.

Edited by CIHUAHUA
  • Like 1

Can a 16 yo legally have a license to drive a motorbike? What is the legal driving age in Thailand?

15 for a motorcycle

But you're limited to under 90cc, or so it was for my 15-year-old when he got his license many years ago. Has the law changed? He had to wait until he was 18 before he could ride any bike.

And isn't there a curfew of 22:00 hrs for under 18's? I remember reading that it might be imposed but not sure if it was.

RIP to the lad. Hope they catch the hit 'n runners. To the boys family my condolences. To parents of children, teach your child to wear a helmet and don't let them drive motorcycles until of age. Also be aware of what they are up to at night. They are your responsibility until age of majority.

• Like 1

There needs to be an investigation..Why did the police not with hold the passport? They had the person responsible for the accident..where talking manslaughter here. What were the 4 police officers doing when the car went through their check point? Are they there just for looks. I can only read what is presented in article and If he was out just getting mosquito repellent at 1am in the morning then why cant the locals go about their business without being killed.... The police have a lot to answer for here..anyway why not get the name from the car rental mob..Sad loss for the family

At no time did the police "have" the person responsible for the accident - so how could they hold her passport?

The car was rented in a third party's name apparently.

• Like 1

Typical! Blame someone else. The family should first realise that their son was riding a bike at odd hours of the night without a crash helmet. That in itself is irresponsible and should go down to poor guidance from the parents. Societies acceptance of a lack of helmet does not help either. Yes, the Russians should have made a police report (it did not state if they did), and stayed back to closed up the loose ends of this accident. That is what it was an accident.

Either way, even if they had stayed back the end result would still be the same. A senseless death, why? because of clear disregard for safety.

This is more of the family not having the opportunity to milk money off these Russians for the loss of their child. IMHO.

The way I understand your post the lack of a helmet caused him to be hit, what kind reasoning is this. Yes he may have survived the crash if he had a helmet on but the Russian hit him with a car, duh

You understood my post wrong, lack of helmet significantly reduced his chances of survival. You and I both do not have enough details to say if this accident could haven been prevented. The Russians should have stayed at the site of the accident. Had they not fled the outcome would have still been the same, a senseless loss of life. Accidents happen everyday. The article does not indicate that the car was being reckless, or speeding. It was an accident, where loss of life might have been prevented if proper safety equipment was used.

But hey, maybe we should do it your way and forget instilling safety gear usage to improve survival probabilities, grab us some pitchforks and go get us some Russians. Because in your words "the Russians hit him with a car, duh"

• Like 1

The bottom line is there is very, very little here in the way of law enforcement. Sooner or later, Thailand is going to have to introspect (imagine that?) and decide to gets its act together when it comes to the police. Billions upon billions of dollars will have to be spent on training, and equipment. Forensic labs, real detectives, trained overseas (how could they be trained here, when there is so little in the way of knowledge in that area?) etc. It will have to happen at some point. They have been putting this off for decades, and have essentially said to the police, in exchange for not paying you properly, and equipping you with the basics that allow you to do you jobs, we will allow you to behave as you please, and do anything you want. When will this stop? Real police could have possibly found a way to prevent these murderous insects from leaving the country.

• Like 1

You are not asking the question--Did the Russians have international license to drive ?? did they have Thai drivers license ??? were they insured/allowed to drive the hire car, how many names were on the rental agreement-to drive the car--many questions to be asked BEFORE checking on the deceased lad, you want the coffin to go to jail ???

Question - Why Rental Company GIVE a car if people didnt have license

I find the comments about "poor parenting" and "he wore no helmet" to be really at odds with the fact that a car with passengers struck and killed a lad and then left the scene. And in fact there was a second car as well. How callous is that? They left his body there and drove off, probably pissed.

That the Russians did something morally repulsive and should be held accountable is without question. But if he had worn a helmet things would have been much better so some blame also falls on him.

I drive a big bike and a scooter and a car in Thailand, I just feel that if you hit a bike with a car and they have no helmet or license they should be partly to blame as a helmet could have saved his life.

This of course does not excuse the Russians but not wearing a helmet has certainly contributed to the severity of the accident. I find it unfair to car drivers in general if they are being punished extra because someone did not wear a helmet.

I would never ride my bikes without a helmet.

But what these drivers did and fleeing the scene is unforgivable.

You are talking crap. If a car hits you and you are riding in a safe and legal way, the car driver is guilty, not the biker, not 1%. Also you have no idea if a helmet would have helped or not. Unless you were there and saw what happened.

How can you be riding "in a safe and legal way"? No helmet illegal. No licence illegal. Under age illegal. No insurance illegal?

I am no fan of Russian manners, but the posters who point out that this is another case of blame the farang when Thai drivers do worse every day are right. The Russians could not expect a fair treatment. Double standards.

The Royal Thai Police are a shambles and an international disgrace to the Kingdom.

• Like 2

My goodness, it makes me cringe to think how people are perceiving this police officer and his thought process. Capt Thada Sodarak if you are reading this i would like to say to you. This is the fault of his parents, they are the ones who need prosecuting for child abuse. This boy and all the kids in Thailand should not be driving motor cycles and should not be out alone at 1;00am. When something like this happens the parents should be made an example of. Kids on bikes are an accident waiting to happen, they are reckless, speeding lunatics on a deadly toy. As for Thailand in General just check out the advert for this new Boomer X bike. It is aimed directly at Thai children as the "inn thing" the pinnacle of coolness, the chick grabbing machine!! For gods sake do people who think like this captain not understand the solution to any kind of pollution is dilution!

So, let me get it straight. According to the article, the woman did a U-turn and hit a teenager on a bike. The husband was following her in another car, they saw the kid was dead/dying and they decided to flee the scene.

In Western countries, that right there would be enough to get her in jail for fleeing the scene and for not providing assistance to the kid.

In addition, the article doesn't say anything about the kid being at fault, besides him failing to wear a helmet. And, yet, you turn that into "an opportunity for the family to milk money out of those poor Russians???" That is widely uncalled for. They're the ones who now have to live without their child while those Russians just took the first flight home.

Edit: The article actually says he was driving in the same direction than the woman. Since she was making a U-turn, the kid had the priority over her (he was driving straight on), at least based on what has been reported.

Night time. Maybe no lights on the boy's bike as I often see it ?

No helmet. Ok, maybe he wouldn't have survived even if he had worn a lousy Thai helmet without the straps closed.

Most probably the Russians were drunk. Still the accident must have been a shock for them.

Would you turn in yourself to the police knowing the Thai system of justice and law ?

Not sure if I hadn't run away, too.

Now they are complaining about a hit and run, whereas it is a very common fact that Thai drivers flee the scene once caused an accident.

I'm so sorry for the boy and his family but also for the Russians.

• Like 1

What a stupid and heartless post! So you blame the boy being the victim of a hit-and-run now? Are you Russian perhaps? How do you know that he would have survived with a helmet on? Did you do the autopsy perhaps?

There are only thee people to blame, and that is the cowards in the cars who hit a young boy and left him to die. Disgusting people!

Hmm, being a little presumptuous are we? You seem to know more details about the accident that what is on print, to be able to lay blame on the car drivers. Or you came to this conclusion because they fled the scene.

Anyway yes, you are correct on every point. We should crucify them Russians. Safety devices in Thailand like helmets and seat belts is there for its cosmetic value and using them is a wage of time.

I do have to agree with the Thai family for the failure of the police for not seizing the only valid witnesses passport.

But in saying that my wifes brother inlaw is a high ranking police investingator in cases like this and if you knew the amount of cases

and conditions he has to work under its no wonder poor police proceedure exist in this land

RIP Little Buddy

Why would she have her passport seized? She made a statement as a witness but she has done nothing wrong. It would be very wrong to hold her passport.

Basically, the couple have fled and gone back home. It is tragic but it was an accident and fleeing the scene is just the normal thing in Thailand,, or at least that is how it seems.

So, there really is nothing the police can do about this. They will never track the driver down.

What is true - is true.

The dead boy cannot be helped.

He might have been at fault on many points:

- at 16 I doubt he had a DL;

- not wearing a helmet;

- might/might not have been under the influence;

But saying this ( and all these facts can and should have been verified by the Police Investigators)

There is a lot to be said about the Bloody Bastards involved in this incident.

They were at fault on many points too:

- like 'hit and run' - a highly illegal and cowardly action;

- like not having a valid DL for Thailand;

- like escaping the country - this sort of actions never look good;

As to the tracking them down, it could be done easily. Via Immigration records.

But it will never be done. Too much trouble and nobody will pay for it.

So, the easiest way out - mobilize the mob! Death to the Russians! A very stupid behavior, but Thai to the inner core...

( I wonder why nobody has mentioned Thaksin yet?)

Before I am labeled a Thai basher, please read this post again, thanks.

• Like 1

It's hard to argue with much that has been said here, most of it is valid from both sides.

One thing that has not been questioned however is were his lights working? Another common Thai trait. This may well have been a contributor (I am not saying it was). How many times do you see bikes with no or obscured headlights? Maybe the helmet was in the basket.......

The rest of the comments pretty much have merit, on both sides, the Russians have to live with their decision for the rest of their lives no matter what.....

• Like 1

Fleeing the scene after causing an accident is in the western countries a major crime. Russians are heavy drinkers. Could be that they were aware of the consequenses if the police arrived. Probably for the same reason fled the country. Not taking responsibility and not offering support to the poor family who lost their beloved son is inhuman behavior. But they are Russians; doesn't surprise me. Thailand is slowly taken over by the Russians.

• Like 1

The way I understand your post the lack of a helmet caused him to be hit, what kind reasoning is this. Yes he may have survived the crash if he had a helmet on but the Russian hit him with a car, duh

You understood my post wrong, lack of helmet significantly reduced his chances of survival. You and I both do not have enough details to say if this accident could haven been prevented. The Russians should have stayed at the site of the accident. Had they not fled the outcome would have still been the same, a senseless loss of life. Accidents happen everyday. The article does not indicate that the car was being reckless, or speeding. It was an accident, where loss of life might have been prevented if proper safety equipment was used.

But hey, maybe we should do it your way and forget instilling safety gear usage to improve survival probabilities, grab us some pitchforks and go get us some Russians. Because in your words "the Russians hit him with a car, duh"

I still feel they needed to stay at the scene, they are as bad as Thai drivers who hit and run. Hit and run is not acceptable. I get your point about the helmet i feel that way too. But it does not excuse the Russians.

But I will always feel that someone not wearing a helmet has some blame too. Its mandatory plus it can safe your life.I dont ride without one, and when i drive my car I always worry about some mc guy without a helmet doing something and me hitting him.

Your kid would have walked away with a few scratches if he'd have been wearing a helmet.

I don't care how many of your foolish children fall over and die;
it doesn't give you the right to be racist against an entire group of people.