BANGKOK
Sign in to follow this  
webfact

Dead boy's family in Phuket 'mob' against Russians

There needs to be an investigation..Why did the police not with hold the passport? They had the person responsible for the accident..where talking manslaughter here. What were the 4 police officers doing when the car went through their check point? Are they there just for looks. I can only read what is presented in article and If he was out just getting mosquito repellent at 1am in the morning then why cant the locals go about their business without being killed.... The police have a lot to answer for here..anyway why not get the name from the car rental mob..Sad loss for the family

• Like 1

A 16 Y.O. wandering about at 1.A.M. No Crash Hat.If the Lad was mine id feel some resposibility.Perhaps im just Old Fashioned.RIP.

People at that age work, they could be leaving their work-out to get some mozzie killer---What do you mean "wondering about " 1am here is not late unless you work in a bank.

The crash hat is a technical offence, and stupidly like most Thais they hate them.

The main point you missed--you forgot ???? who hit who ??? your just not old fashioned, your focusing on the deceased not the killers.

I want to ask you--is it against the law to ride a m/cycle at 1 am ????

• Like 2

I do have to agree with the Thai family for the failure of the police for not seizing the only valid witnesses passport.

But in saying that my wifes brother inlaw is a high ranking police investingator in cases like this and if you knew the amount of cases

and conditions he has to work under its no wonder poor police proceedure exist in this land

RIP Little Buddy

Why would she have her passport seized? She made a statement as a witness but she has done nothing wrong. It would be very wrong to hold her passport.

Basically, the couple have fled and gone back home. It is tragic but it was an accident and fleeing the scene is just the normal thing in Thailand,, or at least that is how it seems.

So, there really is nothing the police can do about this. They will never track the driver down.

Do you really think that the Russians have flown home? The police state they don't even know their names? Do you really think that the Chalong Police if they were so inclined could not persuade by some manner or means the silent friends to identify the suspects? Of course they could. This is the notorious Chalong Police and as always the sweet aroma of tea abounds.

• Like 1

Wait... so if a Thai runs someone down on a bicycle or motorbike and kills them (which is practically a daily occurrence), it's ok... som nom nah...shouldn't have been on the road. But when a foreigner does it, let's riot.

A) MOST of these accidents are due to negligence and regardless of where they're from, there should be stiff penalties for reckless/careless driving (but police are lazy and easily bought so, this will never happen).

cool.png This 'mob' is probably more about a long ongoing irritation with Russian tourists (or perhaps tourists in general) than this particular incident. Perhaps the police should enforce laws better to keep tourists in line (Oh yeah...forgot, they're useless).

C) Wear a <removed> helmet. I'm still astonished when I see three drunk idiots flying down the road on one scooter, no helmets and all over the road. They crash, they die, nobody cares. If only the police..... nevermind.

• Like 2

You are talking crap.. without a helmet your not riding legal.

Comparing riding without a helmet to fleeing the scene of a fatal accident is like comparing slapping someone in the face to stabbing him 34 times though.

You obviously did not read any of my other posts where i condemm the hit and run and calling it morally repulsive. Where i say they need to be held accountable.

All what I am saying is that riding without a helmet has probably made this worse and i feel that that should be taken into account.

I ride bikes and a car here in Thailand have been for 8 years now. I always wear a helmet as it can safe my life not because its mandatory. But I feel that not wearing a helmet and getting hit you are partly responsible too because then something that you could have survived turns into something deadly. I feel that its unfair to put that squarely on the shoulders of a car driver.

That really does not excuse the driver here from hitting and running.

Lets think clearly - we have bad and irresponsible people in every country either it Russia, Thailand, USA or whatever. Why say that ALL Russians are bad base on few man? Base on this we could say that every man in world is maniac or worse

Also I could say that 76% of Thai drivers wouldnt stop at all, at least in Bangkok.

Edited by SergeyKot

"The incident has sparked anger at the Russian woman driving the car, at her friends and, by extension, Russians in general"

Well the Russian police volunteers did help by identifying the Russian couple.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. This is just the beginning with these Russian's. They need controlling.

yes, yes. only russians do things like this. never thai, british, australien or us citizen and so on did this before killing someone on the street and running away clap2.gif

Edited by benny1616

Can a 16 yo legally have a license to drive a motorbike? What is the legal driving age in Thailand?

You are not asking the question--Did the Russians have international license to drive ?? did they have Thai drivers license ??? were they insured/allowed to drive the hire car, how many names were on the rental agreement-to drive the car--many questions to be asked BEFORE checking on the deceased lad, you want the coffin to go to jail ???

yes stay at the scene and wait to receive Thai justice for a foreigner. It reminds me of what an old British boxer Henry Cooper once said about fighting in Italy ' you have to knock them out to get a draw there.

• Like 2

Typical! Blame someone else. The family should first realise that their son was riding a bike at odd hours of the night without a crash helmet. That in itself is irresponsible and should go down to poor guidance from the parents. Societies acceptance of a lack of helmet does not help either. Yes, the Russians should have made a police report (it did not state if they did), and stayed back to closed up the loose ends of this accident. That is what it was an accident.

Either way, even if they had stayed back the end result would still be the same. A senseless death, why? because of clear disregard for safety.

This is more of the family not having the opportunity to milk money off these Russians for the loss of their child. IMHO.

Yes, I agree since the child is dead that the only thing left to do is make some money on it. What else can be done. If you drive in this country u know how a 16 yrs old does it and I doubt he was out for medicine for his grandma. Did you ever see a policeman stop anyone while driving on the road breaking the laws, no - only at there stop stations where they extort money from you (take a bribe). I don't blame the woman for leaving the country because they already knew they were going to get the shaft no matter what the boy did. RIP I feel sorry about what happened and I'm sure the Russians are too and it will live inside of them for ever.

Edited by CIHUAHUA
  • Like 1