Dead boy's family in Phuket 'mob' against Russians

webfact

Can not disagree about the BB comment but they were only following well established Thai traditions.

Hit and run seems ingrained in Thai culture and is so common it's often not even reported.

How many Thais have a valid driving license, legally obtained, not bought? How many, any nationality, bother to obey Thai law regarding helmets?

As the saying goes, When in Rome..........

As has been stated before the foreignor appears to have no rights or rule of law on his side and as such is forced to take the law into his own hands.

It is disgusting, but until this country cleans up it's act, this behavior will be never ending.

Foreigners have as many rights as Thais in the court of law.

Gullible people with no connections or influence(Thai or foreign) have little rights

• Like 1

......a Thai bus driver kills......10-20-30 passengers......mostly if not all......foreigners.....often.....

...but that's okay......

...sorry but racism.....hatred of foreigners.....resentment......is rampant in Thailand.......

....I wish it wasn't so....but it is....and anyone who says otherwise is deluded.......

• Like 1

Shocking comment by some not showing an iota of empathy. Perhaps they are Russian trying to protect their own. Whether who is in the wrong, the right way is to stop and help. Both flee the scene!!! Is there anymore to say??

I haven't read all the 9 pages, but...

Perhaps this quote is an example of a typical Russian bashing, or perhaps it's the typical response from a yank?

Lets look in your own backyard first before we start a Russian bashing, shall we?

...48 percent of crashes in Los Angeles in 2009 were hit and runs...

...the national hit-and-run average hovers around 11 percent...

...California stands at around an average of 18 percent...

http://www.thewire.com/national/2012/12/48-percent-car-crashes-los-angeles-are-hit-and-runs/59721/

One out of every 5 pedestrians killed on the roads die from a hit-and-run, according to a National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.

http://www.hitandrunreward.com/hit-run-accident-statistics.html

I'm not defending them, not saying they did the right thing, under the circumstances I certainly understand why they run away, but again I'm not defending them.

This sort of thing happens in Thailand all the time and as I'm sure was pointed out countless times, Thais are themselves are fine example of hit and run.

Before you continue with your Russian bashing, lets try to find some statistics on what percentage of all nationalities are the visitors from Russia? I'm too lazy to look but I remember it was a great number. So logically the greater the number of visitors from ANY country, the greater the number of <deleted> from that country will be.

Was the US as close to Thailand as the Russia is, was the flight from US as cheap as it is from Russia, I'm sure we would have observed a lot more of the "quality" US tourists with all of the consequences like hit and run (see the above quoted US statistics)...

Typical! Blame someone else. The family should first realise that their son was riding a bike at odd hours of the night without a crash helmet. That in itself is irresponsible and should go down to poor guidance from the parents. Societies acceptance of a lack of helmet does not help either. Yes, the Russians should have made a police report (it did not state if they did), and stayed back to closed up the loose ends of this accident. That is what it was an accident.

Either way, even if they had stayed back the end result would still be the same. A senseless death, why? because of clear disregard for safety.

This is more of the family not having the opportunity to milk money off these Russians for the loss of their child. IMHO.

Such a "humble" opinion, indeed.

All I get from this article is that Russians assimilate perfectly with Thais. This is a fine example. The Russian and her husband acted in the exact same manner as a a Thai would in that situation. Fled the scene.

^ This pretty much says it all.

Russians are problem tourists for Thai police because they are so well acquainted with lawless behaviour , and graft and corruption , that they manage it all or ignore it , most effectively .

Thus they know when to flee , they know when to go silent and they know darn well that when there is no other alternative they will have to pay - and pay as little as possible.

Its not fair that they should arrive en masse when the Thai police had it so easy before ...

• Like 2

If you want to ride a bike with a helmet, have speed radar & breathalyser units why don't you go home.

The beauty of this country is the lack of these regulations. When I started riding a bike the only riders that wore helmets were the track racers (unless you come from a cold country). Compulsory helmets were a retrograde step to satisfy the insurance companies (obviously not here though).

Freedom is what we want. We, like Thais, prefer to look after ourselves without do-gooders trying to put their will on us.

There is no lack of regulations regarding helmets, speed and drunk driving.

Helmets are mandatory, there are speed limits, and drunk driving is against the law in Thailand.

You want the freedom to drive drunk? I want the freedom not to be killed by you.

Compulsory helmet laws in many countries were enacted to offset gov't funded health care systems.

Why should I pay higher taxes because you are too dumb to put a crash hat on?

If you live in Thailand you don't pay higher taxes

A 16 Y.O. wandering about at 1.A.M. No Crash Hat.If the Lad was mine id feel some resposibility.Perhaps im just Old Fashioned.RIP.

I really don't believe this attitude, it is nothing short of heartless - this is Thailand and it should be safe enough for a young man to take his motorcycle to the night market to buy something. How many people do you see wearing crash helmets in Thailand? If anything that is the fault of the police for not enforcing the wearing of helmets. The issues here are the driver failing to stop and report the accident (that would almost certainly get her a jail term in the UK), the police incompetence In allowing her to flee the country and the callous indifference of the drivers friends in not releasing her name.

A 16 Y.O. wandering about at 1.A.M. No Crash Hat.If the Lad was mine id feel some resposibility.Perhaps im just Old Fashioned.RIP.

What on earth are spouting off about? He was killed by a car being driven illegally, helmet or not, the car driver caused his death.

Illegally - where is that mentioned? I understand the outrage and bitterness and the fact that they fled, and I'm not defending the parties involved, but this is the same as at least a Thai coach driver/truck driver or whatever fleeing the scene of events like this on a weekly basis here.

This boy and all the kids in Thailand should not be driving motor cycles and should not be out alone at 1;00am.

What a complete and utter load of tosh. I have many friends who at 16 had a job, a license and a motorcycle. One of the reasons motorcycles have lights is so they can be ridden at night!

One other reason a bike has a light attached, that comes on with the ignition, (which admittedly, not all bike have, so my comment applies to bikes equipped with this SAFETY feature) is to make them more visible at all times of the day or night. In Australia, i believe that it is law, for the light to be on at ALL times, for this reason

Any machine should only be operated by a trained and competent operator, including but not limited to motorbikes.

Countries with death rates less than 23000 souls annually, benifit from operator training and guidelines (laws), which include limited hours of operation which generally see inexperienced ( include here poorly trained) people restricted to driving during safe times.. ( read here, daylight hours etc)

Everyone is jumping back and forth on this issue, with alarming speed, even though if truth be told, we know little of what really happened, apart from the words of the police, which may or may not be biased, because the primary witnesses have alledgedly fled the country ( immigrations should be able to confirm or deny that, as the BIB seem to have good photos to share on facebook... Which matching software at immigrations could use, once they get the photos from the facebbok site... That is why immigrations take your photo, isnt it?)

Whilst it is undoubtedly a tragedy, regardless of age, race or sex, speculating is pointless.

As to the driver fleeing the scene... Really?

This forum usually advises not stopping to render assistance. ... And further, i have been in a couple of countries, where my host catergorically states "do not stop". Admittedly they go on to say that you should report to the nearest police station forthwith... But some will say that doing this here is arguably not the best of ideas... And they could be right in that

From my limited time in Thailand (5 years) i have noticed that whilst most older thais drive sedately, younger ones (especially males) do not, and im sure all readers, on reflection, will agree with this to some extent.

Furthermore, most accidents that i have witnessed, but not all, are a result of bad practise on the bike riders part, oftentimes where the driver of a car can do little to minimise the effect.

My partner and i often go to parties, and where i will get pished, she never drinks (sober for 18 years) and will drive me home

Given these points, and lack of witnesses, credible or otherwise, i fail to see why people would assume that the driver is at fault. It may be the case, but nothing in the story confirms this, so without evidence (which is not a solely western concept), folk should perhaps temper their comments, and especially their anger and vitriol, and wait to see what a thorough investigation reveals. (For those about to suggest the police are incapable of this type of investigation... Fair enough, but please dont go on and also also decry someone who flees the scene... You cant have your cake and eat it too).

For all we know, and as others have suggested, the driver was a thai, and is still in Phuket.

Not likely you say? Lets look back at past incidences where murderers have disposed of bodies, in their own luggage, and stayed in town afterwards... Anything is possible.

The fact is that a boy has died. The only positive way to move on here is with the imposition and enforcement of road laws designed to make road use safe for all. Only then will this death, and the other 22999 deaths a year, be honoured... As a stepping stone to reform

So let the parents public outcry continue, and grow, such that the lawmakers must sit up and take heed, to hopefully lessen the unrealised pain of future generations (yes... Generations... Major change takes time)

• Like 1

For arguments sake, and why not?

The police claim to "know" who the driver was.

But do they?

Assumedly they base this claim on the statement made by the passenger in the first car... Which may be an incorrect assumption on my part

But what if this person knew that Lorisa and Valentin had already hopped a plane, so shifted the blame?

Ergo an investigation is needed vs mob rule and a good old fashioned lynching.

• Like 1

Did the boy have a driving license ? A simple question.

Irrelevant question in Thailand.

Motorbikes are used sometimes in the same fashion as a bicycle by kids....very safely, and without a licence...

And sometimes are used by older teens in the same fashion are race bikes.... With a licence.

I fear the latter....

Family making a scene in the hope there is to be some money coming. If it were Thai on Thai they would all be just sitting at home hoping the police will do their jobs. This just confirms the general underlying hatred of foreigners Thais have, so easy to whip up a mob into a frenzy, yet this type of thing happens, Thai on Thai, everyday across the country.

Boy should ve worn a helmet. Russian should not have driven off. Then the second Russian drives past. The fact that he did not wear a helmet seems a lot less of a violation then TWO cars who have something to do with it, speeding off. Then they also cover it all up and hide identities. And to add injury to insult, they quickly leave. Poor boy, poor parents. May they all find peace, except the Russians.

• Like 1

Typical! Blame someone else. The family should first realise that their son was riding a bike at odd hours of the night without a crash helmet. That in itself is irresponsible and should go down to poor guidance from the parents. Societies acceptance of a lack of helmet does not help either. Yes, the Russians should have made a police report (it did not state if they did), and stayed back to closed up the loose ends of this accident. That is what it was an accident.

Either way, even if they had stayed back the end result would still be the same. A senseless death, why? because of clear disregard for safety.

This is more of the family not having the opportunity to milk money off these Russians for the loss of their child. IMHO.

Wow you have the true gift of a lawyer being able to turn around facts to blame the dead guy.

Are you anti-Thai or perhaps a bit nationalistic? Would you say the same thing if all involved were Thai? I doubt it.

Edited by smileydude

Claiming that foreigners do bad when thais do it on a dialy base - TIT!

Russians should show heart and responsibility when no Thai can do so?

I'm not a friend of how like 95% of the Russians behave, but same same with the Thais!

I just had a motobike accident with a car driver not giving me the right of way - he not even left the car before deciding to drive away and leaving me with the 100+ k THB bills for broken glasses, motobike and hospital (5 days stay).

Bye,

Derk

I have sincere sympathy for the pain and trauma you suffered and hope you are making a full recovery without any long term complications left from the accident.

But 2 wrongs don`t make a right. A young boy is dead and whoever it was caused his death, either by accident or negligence, has done a runner and now we have the heart broken parents who are left in the lurch not knowing the full details as to what happened during the night their son was killed, as if this boy`s life means nothing and is of no importance.

Those of us who have children must place our thoughts with the parents and be thinking; what if I was in a similar situation of those parents and consider how you would feel in those circumstances.

Typical!!! Whenever a Thai flees the scene of an accident I never see a 'heartless' comment, but as soon as it's a falang they're all over it!!! Nonetheless, I hope they get them!

If you followed thai social media you'd see outcries and condemnation as well for things in their own society.

• Like 1

Not wearing a helmet? post-4641-1156693976.gif Solution: always wear a helmet and body armor! The parents should have taught him better. Note: There are Russian and Thai women drivers on the road after all! Also need mandatory seat belts on school and tourist buses/ mini vans as well...beatdeadhorse.gif

Edited by fullcave

If you want to ride a bike with a helmet, have speed radar & breathalyser units why don't you go home.

The beauty of this country is the lack of these regulations. When I started riding a bike the only riders that wore helmets were the track racers (unless you come from a cold country). Compulsory helmets were a retrograde step to satisfy the insurance companies (obviously not here though).

Freedom is what we want. We, like Thais, prefer to look after ourselves without do-gooders trying to put their will on us.

There is no lack of regulations regarding helmets, speed and drunk driving.

Helmets are mandatory, there are speed limits, and drunk driving is against the law in Thailand.

You want the freedom to drive drunk? I want the freedom not to be killed by you.

Compulsory helmet laws in many countries were enacted to offset gov't funded health care systems.

Why should I pay higher taxes because you are too dumb to put a crash hat on?

If you live in Thailand you don't pay higher taxes

I was simply pointing out that it wasn't just insurance company lobbyists insisting on helmet laws.

The taxes comment referred to my own country, but Thai hospitals are heavily subsidized as well.

Your initial post insinuates you also want the freedom to drive drunk.

Just how far should you take the " don wan no guvvimint takin mah freedom away" argument?

Not to absolve of the Russians' responsibility, but why is a 16 year old driving a motorbike, at 1am Saturday night, without wearing a helmet??

The other day I saw what must have been a 12-13 year old Thai on a motorbike RACING down a soi in Ratchada with his friends. I repeat, not Ratchadapisek road, a 3 meter wide soi...and no helmet, of course.

Parenting: a "foreign" concept in Thailand.

Edited by elzach

I have been to Russia and the mentality there is quite similar to Thailand regarding life.... I feel very sorry for the family. However, they need to stop and think for a moment, it's not just Russians that behave like this.

How many times have we seen Thais flee the accident scene. One time in Samui the driver of a ten wheel truck, not only knocked down a motorbike killing one person instantly, he then reversed over the second person in order not to leave any witnesses. He drove off at speed, by the time we worked out what had happened (there was a foreign couple who had witnessed it from nearby) I gave chase but couldn't find the truck.

RIP in peace young man and I hope your parents pressure the authorities to stop this madness, that's the best way to make his life more worthwhile.

As posters, we can really only respond, initially, to what the article says. If the person is 40, did a life of good deeds (not reported), spent every day helping others (not reported), and then dies without wearing a helmet.....we will simply disregard his life and say "no helmet, no helmet." If it was someone we knew, it would be entirely different. Even in the USA a guy I knew died without wearing his seat belt. His entire existence was boiled down to, "oh, should have worn his seat belt." i am sure we would all act differently if we attended the funeral, or at least 99% of us. i am convinced I will get hit by a meteor and die....and the only posts on my death will be.... 'why didn't that idiot wear his meteor protection?" life, fleeting.

to hit a kid with your car, kill them, and then run......i do hope karma exists.

Anyway, with Songkran just around the corner this sort of thing will be happening all the time.

Just another Thai bashing thread, with the majority of posters having little sympathy for the boy.

Perhaps the boy`s family are reading some of these posts and I know how I would feel if it were a child of mine.

I strongly hope that it is you that will become a victim of a traffic accident during the festive period and I can be in the position to say; ah well, it was Songkran, tough luck.

RIP for the boy and my sincere and heart felt symphaties go out to the parents and families of the victim of this tragic accident.

Anyway, with Songkran just around the corner this sort of thing will be happening all the time.

Just another Thai bashing thread, with the majority of posters having little sympathy for the boy.

Perhaps the boy`s family are reading some of these posts and I know how I would feel if it were a child of mine.

I strongly hope that it is you that will become a victim of a traffic accident during the festive period and I can be in the position to say; ah well, it was Songkran, tough luck.

RIP for the boy and my sincere and heart felt symphaties go out to the parents and families of the victim of this tragic accident.

If you were a parent,would you let your boy to go on the motorbike,in the middle of the night and without the helmet?....I am a parent and I would do everything to not allow this to happened...my wife is Thai and she thinks different...ohh well....

16 is not that young here. They are riding, (without helmets) from 10 years what i have seen.

They were never going to stop. Had been drinking seriously it seems. Likely she turned in front of him, not sure what same direction means, before or after the u-turn.

If it was my kid I would hunt them down.

Maybe money has already been paid, they are all gone. Surely the police can get their names from somewhere, I'm sure I could. They had hotels, plane tickets etc.

Even the ones left here are obstructing justice.

• Like 1

If you were a parent,would you let your boy to go on the motorbike,in the middle of the night and without the helmet?....I am a parent and I would do everything to not allow this to happened...my wife is Thai and she thinks different...ohh well....

No I would not, if either wearing or not wearing a helmet. I wouldn`t let my 16 year old child be out that time of night, full stop. But that does not mean to say it was the boy`s or his parents fault that he was killed for being in the wrong place at the wrong time as an incident like this could happen at any time of day.

The facts are that although the boy was breaking the law by not wearing helmet (so we are told) that the Russians done a runner, which means they had reasons for not wanting to come forward and not staying on the scene, as they should have done by law.

Perhaps they were driving recklessly, over the alcohol limits, did not have the correct driving documents, or had other dubious reasons for not wanting to be investigated by the police. Maybe the boy was still alive after the impact and they just drove off and left him in the road to die. The fact remains that these Russians should have remained on the scene. Regardless of the age of the motorbike rider, whether the rider was legally entitled to ride the bike or not, or what time of day it was, this is an undisputed case of hit and run and therefore these Russians must be brought in for investigation and to establish the circumstances that lead to Russian car driver to colliding with the said motorbike.

Why so many drivers involved in accidents here do the runner?...one of them who 'surrendered' next day to the police (different case of course),have said,that he was afraid that the mob would kill him,if he stayed...and he was Thai...so,what could happened to a farang(not necessary Russian),if one would stay on the seen involved in deadly accident...I wouldn't chance it....better to do the runner,I guess...

• Like 1