Dead boy's family in Phuket 'mob' against Russians

webfact

A 16 Y.O. wandering about at 1.A.M. No Crash Hat.If the Lad was mine id feel some resposibility.Perhaps im just Old Fashioned.RIP.

What on earth are spouting off about? He was killed by a car being driven illegally, helmet or not, the car driver caused his death.

Or maybe she had her right turn indicator on and he ran into the back of her either because he was under the influence or maybe he didn't know what the indicator light meant as he had never used one himself.

Or maybe she was drunk after a party and didn't see him.

Either way the Russians new it would be farangs fault and was going to cost them a lot of money

Very sad and it does highlight the need for helmets. The circumstances aren't clear but it could be that the driver indicated right and if it's the same as my area that's taken as an opportunity to overtake on the right so it might not have been entirely her fault. If I'm right in thinking it was after dark then it's possible the bike had no lights as well. She should have stopped but as many have said there's a chance of being attacked here apparently. Still no reason she couldn't report to the police though.

How can the police know they've left the country if they don't know their names. Am I missing something?

• Like 1

I find the comments about "poor parenting" and "he wore no helmet" to be really at odds with the fact that a car with passengers struck and killed a lad and then left the scene. And in fact there was a second car as well. How callous is that? They left his body there and drove off, probably pissed.

That the Russians did something morally repulsive and should be held accountable is without question. But if he had worn a helmet things would have been much better so some blame also falls on him.

I drive a big bike and a scooter and a car in Thailand, I just feel that if you hit a bike with a car and they have no helmet or license they should be partly to blame as a helmet could have saved his life.

This of course does not excuse the Russians but not wearing a helmet has certainly contributed to the severity of the accident. I find it unfair to car drivers in general if they are being punished extra because someone did not wear a helmet.

I would never ride my bikes without a helmet.

But what these drivers did and fleeing the scene is unforgivable.

You are talking crap. If a car hits you and you are riding in a safe and legal way, the car driver is guilty, not the biker, not 1%. Also you have no idea if a helmet would have helped or not. Unless you were there and saw what happened.

I feel sorry for the family and the whole thing is a tragedy but would you call driving a motorbike without a helmet, without a license, without insurance, driving in a legal way? As for safe then no one knows what really happened that night. But I am sure if laws were enforced. Young kids not allowed to drive bikes. Before you drive a bike you have to learn the rules and then demonstrate you can drive properly, not just drive across a plank without falling off! Then there would be many less deaths in this country and many more children would not loose their lives because the parents don't care.

My son was a passenger on a bike driven by his cousin. His cousin was just going to drive off but my son insisted he go back in the house and get a helmet. (I had spent years teaching him Never to go on a bike without a helmet). He got the helmet but his cousin never bothered. They were hit by a truck! My son was in hospital for a long time and sadly his cousin died. His head was smashed open. The doctor said the only reason my son was still alive was because he had a helmet on and if his cousin had worn one he probably would still be alive.

The point of the above is that my son 's aunty was devastated. Her son had died. I felt so sorry for her. She knew why, no helmet. But a short time after I was so angry to see that she took my 10 year old daughter to the market on the motorbike and not only did she not wear a helmet but she never put one on my daughter! I cannot understand the mentality. She is not a stupid women but it is as if they cannot connect actions with consequences! Until this changes there will be many more senseless deaths on Thai roads.

Chris

• Like 1

Regardless of Thai or Foreigner, driving away from a crime like just makes everything worse. Doesn't matter how bad the system is or the possibility of corruption. People need to be held accountable for their actions. Blaming the system or making excuses just degrades them as human beings. No point in making excuses or condemning them for their actions, it's a police matter. Hopefully they will be brought back for justice. It was just caused by one person, nationality is irrelevant, blaming all Russians for this one action is silly. As for the culprits friends, they should provide all necessary information because their actions will determine how some people view the Russians as a group. Funny how people say "Everyone else would run so I did too", never worked for me when I was young, just funny that seems to be what lots of people believe now.

Anyway, with Songkran just around the corner this sort of thing will be happening all the time.

Just another Thai bashing thread, with the majority of posters having little sympathy for the boy.

Perhaps the boy`s family are reading some of these posts and I know how I would feel if it were a child of mine.

I strongly hope that it is you that will become a victim of a traffic accident during the festive period and I can be in the position to say; ah well, it was Songkran, tough luck.

RIP for the boy and my sincere and heart felt symphaties go out to the parents and families of the victim of this tragic accident.

Maybe if the parents are reading this thread then if they have other children they would stop them driving without a helmet. But I don't think so (See my last post). This is not Thai bashing. It is speaking the obvious wanting to save lives of innocent people.

Chris

Not to absolve of the Russians' responsibility, but why is a 16 year old driving a motorbike, at 1am Saturday night, without wearing a helmet??

The other day I saw what must have been a 12-13 year old Thai on a motorbike RACING down a soi in Ratchada with his friends. I repeat, not Ratchadapisek road, a 3 meter wide soi...and no helmet, of course.

Parenting: a "foreign" concept in Thailand.

What a stupid thing to say - do you know any Thai parents? Would you say this to them?

^ So that makes it perfectly ok just to drive off does it? Who said the boy doesn't have a licence? Only gotta be 15 to have one

Indeed, "lostyourbike". Read the book. "Money Number One..

Not one person on this forum has yet to reply that leaving the scene was whistling.gifk. But Thai civil behavior, in this regard, has earned Thai people a global reputation for seizing the opportunity to fleece foreigners, whenever that opportunity presents itself. And, Thai people further know that the police will support their efforts to fleece any foreigner, even when the police "know" that the Thai was 100% in the wrong.

I hope you "findyourbike" someday! Cheers,coffee1.gif.pagespeed.ce.Ymlsr09gMJ.gif

So if someone hit your 16 year old boy whilst he was out getting mosquito repellent, that's ok cos you've read some book!?!? haha pathetic response.

I have had accidents where Thais were in the wrong and the BIB were most helpful and not insisting I pay at all, probably cos I was speaking Thai and most polite too. So your idea of farang wrong, farang pay isn't always the case.

Never mind son, how you get some more experience before commenting next time, oh and don't believe everything you read in a book.smile.png

Wrong again. You're the one who needs to "grow-up" and wake-up to the realities of Asia.coffee1.gif

Thank You for all the Likes to my post, so many, its nice to know many of us here still regard rearing our Children as our Duty, and not The State. Perhaps they listen now. RIP again Young Man.

Do you know what 'Thailand' means? Many of us came here for the 'freedom' to do what we want. I have kids and certainly don't force them to wear safety helmets on their bikes. I wonder if your parents made you wear a seatbelt when you were in their car? When I was 16, I never listened to my parents.

How many farang will have their kids on the back of their pickup throwing water on the streets at the most dangerous time of year?

One thing I like about Thai people is that they have a lot more faith in the universe/Buddha/karma etc than most farang I know who want everyone going around in body armour on the right side of the road, under the speed limit etc.

• Like 1

Anyway, with Songkran just around the corner this sort of thing will be happening all the time.

Just another Thai bashing thread, with the majority of posters having little sympathy for the boy.

Perhaps the boy`s family are reading some of these posts and I know how I would feel if it were a child of mine.

I strongly hope that it is you that will become a victim of a traffic accident during the festive period and I can be in the position to say; ah well, it was Songkran, tough luck.

RIP for the boy and my sincere and heart felt symphaties go out to the parents and families of the victim of this tragic accident.

Maybe if the parents are reading this thread then if they have other children they would stop them driving without a helmet. But I don't think so (See my last post). This is not Thai bashing. It is speaking the obvious wanting to save lives of innocent people.

Chris

Although I totally agree that all motorcyclists should wear a protective helmet, plus it`s the law, in this case we have no ways of knowing if the boy had been wearing a helmet, whether it would had saved his life or not? It depends on the force of the impact and the sorts of injuries the boy incurred.

As far as I am concerned this boy was a victim of some particularly heartless people and if that boy would have been my son, I would have travelled to the far reaches of the Earth and back, no matter how much it cost me, including the shirt off my back if need be, in order to bring these people to justice and face up to what they have done, seeking justice legally or illegal whatever it had to be. And I am certain other fathers will feel exactly the same way as I do.

No sets of parents are going to say; ah well, what a shame, but at least the death of my son will serve as a warning to others, so lets forget it and have a cup of tea.

Edited by Beetlejuice
  • Like 2

Thousands of people are going to die over Songkran, are you going to come on here, start a thread about each one and rip them? It's one of the most dangerous places to drive or ride in the world, Thais prefer to not hang around after an accident mostly because of mob repercussions and financial demands from the victims families so Farangs do the same thing. If you get caught you just deal with it.

Just a fact of life about living here I'm afraid and until the road rules are enforced by the police it will continue.

If I get run over during song kran you have my permission to come on here and say tough s**t ok? I won't get upset.

• Like 1

Thank You for all the Likes to my post, so many, its nice to know many of us here still regard rearing our Children as our Duty, and not The State. Perhaps they listen now. RIP again Young Man.

Do you know what 'Thailand' means? Many of us came here for the 'freedom' to do what we want. I have kids and certainly don't force them to wear safety helmets on their bikes. I wonder if your parents made you wear a seatbelt when you were in their car? When I was 16, I never listened to my parents.

How many farang will have their kids on the back of their pickup throwing water on the streets at the most dangerous time of year?

One thing I like about Thai people is that they have a lot more faith in the universe/Buddha/karma etc than most farang I know who want everyone going around in body armour on the right side of the road, under the speed limit etc.

Most farangs don't come from a 3,500 year-old culture, as the Thais do. I came to Thailand to get an education from an ancient culture. Despite their notion of Buddhism, the only things I've learned from Thai people, are lessons on all the maner of ways that I should NOT be, as a human being.

Thousands of people are going to die over Songkran, are you going to come on here, start a thread about each one and rip them? It's one of the most dangerous places to drive or ride in the world, Thais prefer to not hang around after an accident mostly because of mob repercussions and financial demands from the victims families so Farangs do the same thing. If you get caught you just deal with it.

Just a fact of life about living here I'm afraid and until the road rules are enforced by the police it will continue.

If I get run over during song kran you have my permission to come on here and say tough s**t ok? I won't get upset.

Hundreds will die, not thousands.

Kinda like extreme sports that many Westerners do like mountain climbing, parachuting, car racing etc. The thrill is that it forces one to be in the moment, at one with our being. This comes naturally to Thais. Who is better off - the Thais living in the now or the Westerners worrying about accidents and what the future will bring.?

• Like 2

Drunk driving is a criminal offense and killing someone whilst driving is manslaughter at least. Put the two together and they are culpable homicide. In the States or Europe you'd be looking at a 7-8 year stretch. Thailand probably 2-3years or a big payout before it got to court. Anyway I'd rather do a couple of years in a Thai prison than live in Russia for the rest of my life. The Russian Embassy will know who these people are and I am confident there will be resolution. Russian investors in Phuket or Thailand don't need the bad press.

Killing someone while driving is in now way automatically a.manslaughter offence. Have you ever driven in Thailand?

Drive 5 miles in heavy traffic and there can be 100 opportunities to hit a bike and be in the legal right. Undertaking, overtaking, weaving in and out, illegal uturns, no signals, no helmets, no lights, there is barely a legal motorcycle driver in Thailand by western standards.

Drunk driving is a criminal offense and killing someone whilst driving is manslaughter at least. Put the two together and they are culpable homicide. In the States or Europe you'd be looking at a 7-8 year stretch. Thailand probably 2-3years or a big payout before it got to court. Anyway I'd rather do a couple of years in a Thai prison than live in Russia for the rest of my life. The Russian Embassy will know who these people are and I am confident there will be resolution. Russian investors in Phuket or Thailand don't need the bad press.

Killing someone while driving is in now way automatically a.manslaughter offence. Have you ever driven in Thailand?

Drive 5 miles in heavy traffic and there can be 100 opportunities to hit a bike and be in the legal right. Undertaking, overtaking, weaving in and out, illegal uturns, no signals, no helmets, no lights, there is barely a legal motorcycle driver in Thailand by western standards.

But you are not in the West, so you have to adapt to the ways of the roads in Thailand, otherwise for those who find the types of driving here undiscerning, than I suggest they should use public transport or walk, because it`s not going to change in the foreseeable future.

Motorcycle users are a way of life in some parts of South East Asia and other types of vehicle users have to make allowances, because this is how it is.

There probably are multiple opportunities to smash into motorcyclists, but the art of being a caring and responsible driver in Thailand is having tolerance and avoiding them, or at least doing one`s best to avoid having any accidents, losing those Western attitudes and not assuming that motorcyclists are the lowest form of life on the roads and therefore those in other vehicles should have the absolute right of way.

Sorry Thai folks but what goes around comes around. When two drunk Thais kicked my motorcycle over while I was driving slowly on a main throughfare and had to go to the hospital. The police report says Alex dropped his bike, no report of the two Thais that 7 cops spent 20 minutes looking for kicking over my bike. Som Nam Na.

Normally I would be upset at the behaviour of the Russians, but in this case, kid on bike no helmit, expect to die in Thailand,, his parents should have know better.

Most farangs don't come from a 3,500 year-old culture, as the Thais do. I came to Thailand to get an education from an ancient culture. Despite their notion of Buddhism, the only things I've learned from Thai people, are lessons on all the maner of ways that I should NOT be, as a human being.

Where the heck do you get 3500 year old Thai culture? Thai culture basically started with the establishment of Sukhothai in the 12th century. Prior to that Khemer, Dvaravanti, both derivatives of Indian culture. The "ancient culture" here is Indian! In reality Euro (farrang) culture is much older than Thai but much younger than Indian.

There is no way that a Thai is going to believe they came from an Indian culture. I had a hard time convincing one girl that she wouldn't go to the moon when she died. When I told her she doesn't go to the moon when she dies as man had already been to the moon and there were no people living there, she asked me if I thought she was stupid. How do you respond to that??

• Like 2

But you are not in the West, so you have to adapt to the ways of the roads in Thailand, otherwise for those who find the types of driving here undiscerning, than I suggest they should use public transport or walk, because it`s not going to change in the foreseeable future.

Motorcycle users are a way of life in some parts of South East Asia and other types of vehicle users have to make allowances, because this is how it is.

There probably are multiple opportunities to smash into motorcyclists, but the art of being a caring and responsible driver in Thailand is having tolerance and avoiding them, or at least doing one`s best to avoid having any accidents, losing those Western attitudes and not assuming that motorcyclists are the lowest form of life on the roads and therefore those in other vehicles should have the absolute right of way.

"...But you are not in the West, so you have to adapt..."....looks like those Russians are doing good job at adapting...tongue.png

Wow there are some pretty nasty people on TV, they seem to forget a 16 yr old lad has died, they seem to hate everything about Thailand- why not go back to live where ever they came from and see what living in Europe is like these days.

It is highly likely if the Russians had been to a party they were drunk - knowing their love of alcohol.

Have some feeling for the family- they have lost their son.

You still seem to be in the honeymoon phase.

• Like 1

A 16 Y.O. wandering about at 1.A.M. No Crash Hat.If the Lad was mine id feel some resposibility.Perhaps im just Old Fashioned.RIP.

I guess you're right. A 16 YO boy traveling on a bike at 1am AND no helmet either. It must be HIS fault a drunk driver hit him.. How could it be the driver's fault?? NO HELMET man, 1am and a 16 YO boy!!! yeap, drunk driver is in the clear!! and it was also clever of the driver running!! not stopping to try and help. sure. Why help a 16 YO boy on a bike at 1am WITH NO HELMET???

but why stop at the boy's and his parent's fault? I'd go to is grandparents too. They were so irresponsible as to bring to the world the boy's parents. shame on them. and what about his great grand parent???

How do you know the car driver was drunk? .How do we know if the young boy, who was driving illegally was driving in a safe manner. The fact is we do not know, and we never will due to another fact, that is there is no

Proper unbiased police force here in Thailand. What we do know is that the car driver fled the scene of the accident, exactly the same as most Thais do.

As a parent of two Thai boys, who, if in the future are involved in such an accident, I may have to accept some of the responsibility if they do wrong. I know I will not be able to, or want to control all of their actions, but I will be responsible for bringing them up as good people.

• Like 2

Where the heck do you get 3500 year old Thai culture? Thai culture basically started with the establishment of Sukhothai in the 12th century. Prior to that Khemer, Dvaravanti, both derivatives of Indian culture. The "ancient culture" here is Indian! In reality Euro (farrang) culture is much older than Thai but much younger than Indian.
There is no way that a Thai is going to believe they came from an Indian culture. I had a hard time convincing one girl that she wouldn't go to the moon when she died. When I told her she doesn't go to the moon when she dies as man had already been to the moon and there were no people living there, she asked me if I thought she was stupid. How do you respond to that??

Almost got myself in the s*** the other day driving in Thailand when I nearly hit a dinosaur crossing the road. Eoro culture maybe older but far more developed than here.

^ So that makes it perfectly ok just to drive off does it? Who said the boy doesn't have a licence? Only gotta be 15 to have one

Not one person on this forum has yet to reply that leaving the scene was whistling.gifk. But Thai civil behavior, in this regard, has earned Thai people a global reputation for seizing the opportunity to fleece foreigners, whenever that opportunity presents itself. And, Thai people further know that the police will support their efforts to fleece any foreigner, even when the police "know" that the Thai was 100% in the wrong.

I hope you "findyourbike" someday! Cheers,coffee1.gif.pagespeed.ce.Ymlsr09gMJ.gif

So if someone hit your 16 year old boy whilst he was out getting mosquito repellent, that's ok cos you've read some book!?!? haha pathetic response.

I have had accidents where Thais were in the wrong and the BIB were most helpful and not insisting I pay at all, probably cos I was speaking Thai and most polite too. So your idea of farang wrong, farang pay isn't always the case.

Never mind son, how you get some more experience before commenting next time, oh and don't believe everything you read in a book.smile.png

I've had 25 years experience of driving here in Thailand from the very south to the very north, and I can assure you that in the event of an accident involving a Thai and a farang, irrespective if the Farang is in the wrong or not, the farang in 99% of the cases will be judged by both Thais and the police to be in the wrong.

I know of 3 accidents in the last month involving Farangs who were the innocent party, yet finished up paying, including one farang who left his car parked up at the side of the road,facing the correct direction. Which was then hit by a Thai coming from the opposite direction who lost control of his motorbike. Police verdict, Farang must pay.

Freedom is fine up to a point but nobody can have complete freedom. Adults are responsible for children and whilst you won't get them to do everything you tell them you can make a difference. It helps if you set an example by wearing one yourself otherwise you can't expect a child to do any different. I usually wear a helmet on the few occasions I'm on a bike and I wear a seatbelt as well. It's not always possible for instance in taxis.

I doubt they have faith in Buddha at all since most of them aren't really followers of Buddhist principles at all but just go to temples and give things to monks. It's more likely that they can't be bothered. They're supposed to respect life as well I believe.

Freedom is fine until you or your friends and family are killed then it's not so good. I doubt the boys parents are thinking isn't freedom a good thing.

I've had 25 years experience of driving here in Thailand from the very south to the very north, and I can assure you that in the event of an accident involving a Thai and a farang, irrespective if the Farang is in the wrong or not, the farang in 99% of the cases will be judged by both Thais and the police to be in the wrong.

I know of 3 accidents in the last month involving Farangs who were the innocent party, yet finished up paying, including one farang who left his car parked up at the side of the road,facing the correct direction. Which was then hit by a Thai coming from the opposite direction who lost control of his motorbike. Police verdict, Farang must pay.

It is possible that your friend was illegally parked on a red and white spot or out of hours.

You know of 3 accidents in the last month involving Farangs who were the innocent party, yet finished up paying. Life for you and your buddies here in Thailand, the persecuted and the oppressed, must be one form of living hell.

• Like 1

I've had 25 years experience of driving here in Thailand from the very south to the very north, and I can assure you that in the event of an accident involving a Thai and a farang, irrespective if the Farang is in the wrong or not, the farang in 99% of the cases will be judged by both Thais and the police to be in the wrong.<snip>

And I can assure you that this is not true.

• Like 1

It is possible that your friend was illegally parked on a red and white spot or out of hours.

You know of 3 accidents in the last month involving Farangs who were the innocent party, yet finished up paying. Life for you and your buddies here in Thailand, the persecuted and the oppressed, must be one form of living hell.

You must be a hard believer in ....thainess....

My car was hit by drunk motorbike rider while parked(!) legally(!) and when police asked him what happened,he said that....the car hit him!!!!...even the cap laughed...laugh.png

Not to absolve of the Russians' responsibility, but why is a 16 year old driving a motorbike, at 1am Saturday night, without wearing a helmet??

The other day I saw what must have been a 12-13 year old Thai on a motorbike RACING down a soi in Ratchada with his friends. I repeat, not Ratchadapisek road, a 3 meter wide soi...and no helmet, of course.

Parenting: a "foreign" concept in Thailand.

What a stupid thing to say - do you know any Thai parents? Would you say this to them?

Better not to start a discussion on Thai "parenting". I'll not be politically correct.

Well said. And Buddhism (what defines most of SE Asia) came from India.