Retirement Visa extension Cost? increase?

sunoco27

I searched and can not find a correct answer.

I was told the 1 year retirement Visa has increased in price.

If not then, what is the cost for a 1 year retirement visa extension renewal?

How much do I add for a single entry and how much for multiple entry?

Thank You

The retirement extensions (and any other extension) has been 1,900 baht for quite a few years.

Single re-entry permit is 1,000 baht, multiple is 3,600 baht (maybe 3,800 baht), so you have to be leaving Thailand at least 4 times in a year to make it worthwhile.

The retirement extensions (and any other extension) has been 1,900 baht for quite a few years.

Single re-entry permit is 1,000 baht, multiple is 3,600 baht (maybe 3,800 baht), so you have to be leaving Thailand at least 4 times in a year to make it worthwhile.

True, but it is a good idea to also factor in the "hassle cost" and "emotional comfort factor" of getting one every time you need one during the year. It is relatively easy to get one on departure (at least some border stations by land and at airports from what I gather). All depends!

Confirmed ฿3,800 for multi-entry.

True, but it is a good idea to also factor in the "hassle cost" and "emotional comfort factor" of getting one every time you need one during the year. It is relatively easy to get one on departure (at least some border stations by land and at airports from what I gather). All depends!

"From what I gather all depends"

Drive to Mai Sai and try to cross and get told if you do you will loose your extension and have only 30 days when you come back. I made that mistake once and never again. When I leave Chiang Mai I will have the single entry or possible multi.

I was lucky as the driver I had hired was in no hurry and he took me back to Chiang Rai and picked me up on Monday morning and I got a multi reentry in Mai Sai. Not a bad idea actually as the immigration there is not busy at all. Monday morning and I was the only one there.

"Retirement Visas " are very expensive in Thailand because they do not exist! smile.png

The cost of an extension of stay based on retirement costs 1900 Bht

Re entry permits cost 1000Bht single or 3800 multi.

Like yourself, and probably everyone else here, I had no idea of what a "retirement Visa" was. Thanks for clearing that up.

"Retirement Visas " are very expensive in Thailand because they do not exist! smile.png

Like yourself, and probably everyone else here, I had no idea of what a "retirement Visa" was. Thanks for clearing that up.

Some people do refer to the Non-Imm O-A visa as a retirement visa (even some Thai consulates and embassies), but almost everyone who talks about a retirement visa or renewing a retirement visa really is speaking of an extension-of-stay. It is sort of impressive when someone claims he's been renewing his retirement visa for 10 years or more. Not that easy to do something for decades without having a clue what it is one is doing.

Isn't this all a bit of semantics??? Instead of using 2 words (Retirement Visa), I've got to use 'an extension of stay, based on retirement'??!! And if you go to Immigration and ask for 'an extension of stay based on retirement', the officer replies, 'oh, you want a retirement visa'!!!! I do sometimes think we waste our time with nonsense, when everybody clearly knows what we're taking about, even if not being 100% 'legally' correct!!

Please, it's an 'Extension of Temporary stay, based on retirement'.

It took a while to know what you were talking about.

• Like 2

Isn't this all a bit of semantics??? Instead of using 2 words (Retirement Visa), I've got to use 'an extension of stay, based on retirement'??!! And if you go to Immigration and ask for 'an extension of stay based on retirement', the officer replies, 'oh, you want a retirement visa'!!!! I do sometimes think we waste our time with nonsense, when everybody clearly knows what we're taking about, even if not being 100% 'legally' correct!!

Instead of using 2 words (Retirement Visa), I've got to use 'an extension of stay, based on retirement'??!!

That must be a real burden and you may have set a new record for flimsy reasons for complaining (and using such a lot of words doing it!!!).

Terms misused can cause confusion when discussing such things here and more importantly the thing you are getting is not a visa at all. Visas are not issued by Immigrations and visas cannot be extended.

Calling an Non-Imm O-A visa (issued by an embassy or consulate) a retirement visa might indeed be a matter of semantics since it is a visa and its primary use is for people wishing to retire here, but an extension is not a visa

As this thread illustrates, not everyone knows what you're talking about when you mix up visas with extensions of stay and in some threads the confusion leads to misunderstandings with regard to requirements concerning money in the bank or embassy letters, for example. If you go into Immigrations where the officer can look at your passport and deduce what's needed while you babble on about retirement visas, s/he can figure out what you really mean while ignoring what you say. Since respondents in this forum cannot see your passport when you ask a question, that convenience is not available when answering questions here.

If it really exhausts you to say an "extension of stay," you could probably say an "extension," or if you're feeling especially energetic, a "retirement extension " or you could hire a service to accompany you to Immigrations to speak on your behalf. That would help you conserve your energy for even more taxing efforts like differentiating between 90 day reports and 90 day border runs and extensions of stay, the distinction between which seems to confound an alarming number of people.

Edited by Suradit69

"From what I gather all depends"

Drive to Mai Sai and try to cross and get told if you do you will loose your extension and have only 30 days when you come back. I made that mistake once and never again. When I leave Chiang Mai I will have the single entry or possible multi.

I was lucky as the driver I had hired was in no hurry and he took me back to Chiang Rai and picked me up on Monday morning and I got a multi reentry in Mai Sai. Not a bad idea actually as the immigration there is not busy at all. Monday morning and I was the only one there.

get a vip pass,if you wish to go over the border,completly painless,and only cost 100baht,plus two photo copies of passport front page,no stamp put in your passport.
  • Like 1

One other item to consider - Assist Thai Visa Services will do all this for you for a fee of 5,500 baht.

For some, it is worth it. For others, it is much too expensive. Your call.

One other item to consider - Assist Thai Visa Services will do all this for you for a fee of 5,500 baht.

M

For some, it is worth it. For others, it is much too expensive. Your call.

That is 5,500 on top of the fees charged by immigration... That being said it is well worth it!

As for re-entry permit... When I do my extension I have them add a single entry permit which is good until the extension expires (~1 year)... Then when I return from any trip I have another re-entry added... So I always have a permit ready

Edited by sfokevin

Maybe you should get your facts straight before you put your foot in your mouth again.

A retirement Visa is called a Non-immigrant O-A, and can be obtained at any Thai Embassy abroad.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

"Retirement Visas " are very expensive in Thailand because they do not exist! smile.png.pagespeed.ce.CwSpBGGvqN.png

Maybe you should get your facts straight before you put your foot in your mouth again.

A retirement Visa is called a Non-immigrant O-A, and can be obtained at any Thai Embassy abroad.

Inaccurate and misleading information !

Read the post again before putting your foot in the mouth !

For the absolute sake of accuracy an O/A visa is described as a "long stay " visa and can only be obtained from ones home country!

Go here and read all about it

http://www.mfa.go.th/main/en/services/123/15385-Non-Immigrant-Visa-%22O-A%22-(Long-Stay).html

"Retirement" Visas cannot be obtained in Thailand they do not exist !

Edited by thepool

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

"Retirement Visas " are very expensive in Thailand because they do not exist! smile.png.pagespeed.ce.CwSpBGGvqN.png

Inaccurate and misleading information !

For the absolute sake of accuracy an O/A visa is described as a "long stay " visa and can only be obtained from ones home country!

Go here and read all about it

http://www.mfa.go.th/main/en/services/123/15385-Non-Immigrant-Visa-%22O-A%22-(Long-Stay).html

"Retirement" Visas cannot be obtained in Thailand they do not exist !

You mean Bangkok is not in Thailand? You better had read your own link before put your second foot in your mouth as well.

Non-Immigrant Visa “O-A” (Long Stay)

This type of visa may be issued to applicants aged 50 years and over who wish to stay in Thailand for a period of not exceeding 1 year without the intention of working.

Holder of this type of visa is allowed to stay in Thailand for 1 year. Employment of any kind is strictly prohibited.

3. Channels to submit application

Applicant may submit their application at the Royal Thai embassy or Royal Thai Consulate-General in their home/residence country or at the Office of the Immigration Bureau in Thailand located onGovernment Center B, Chaengwattana Soi 7, Laksi, Bangkok 10210, Tel 0-2141-9889.

5.4 Foreigner who wishes to extend his or her stay shall submit a request for extension of stay at the Office of the Immigration Bureau

Edited by onthedarkside
insult removed

JesseFrank, no one can apply for, or obtain, an O-A visa while they are in Thailand. If you doubt this statement, then you should visit the Visa Forum, which is at the top of the list of forums and bring this point up with the real experts there, not the pseudo-experts here on the Chiang Mai forum.

• Like 1

JesseFrank, no one can apply for, or obtain, an O-A visa while they are in Thailand. If you doubt this statement, then you should visit the Visa Forum, which is at the top of the list of forums and bring this point up with the real experts there, not the pseudo-experts here on the Chiang Mai forum.

So who would you think would know best, the " experts " on an internet forum or the Thai government ?

My money is on the Thai government.

This quote

3. Channels to submit application

Applicant may submit their application at the Royal Thai embassy or Royal Thai Consulate-General in their home/residence country or at the Office of the Immigration Bureau in Thailand located onGovernment Center B, Chaengwattana Soi 7, Laksi, Bangkok 10210, Tel 0-2141-9889.

is taken from the Thai government website regarding applying for a Non immigrant O-A visa.

http://www.mfa.go.th/main/en/services/123/15385-Non-Immigrant-Visa-%22O-A%22-%28Long-Stay%29.html

I will stand corrected if someone can proof that the Thai government is wrong about their own visa requirements.

I can add that I first time applied for a retirement visa in 2009 at the immigration in Pattaya, and the stamp in my passport says clearly VISA CLASS : non - immigrant O, all the following years the stamp in my passport says EXTENSION of stay, so the first time I was definitely issued a VISA at the immigration in Pattaya.

JesseFrank, I stand by my statement that no one can obtain a O-A visa while resident in Thailand.

The fact that you found something to the contrary on a Thai gov't website is irrelevant. The English-language websites of the various Thai embassies and consulates are full of laughable misinformation about their own visas. In fact, that would be a good thread to start in the Visa forum; perhaps some of the visa geeks who hang out there would like to find and post examples like the one you discovered.

JesseFrank, I stand by my statement that no one can obtain a O-A visa while resident in Thailand.

The fact that you found something to the contrary on a Thai gov't website is irrelevant. The English-language websites of the various Thai embassies and consulates are full of laughable misinformation about their own visas. In fact, that would be a good thread to start in the Visa forum; perhaps some of the visa geeks who hang out there would like to find and post examples like the one you discovered.

Nancy, I don't think you are correct. OA visas did not used to be available here. I know 4 people that have had an O visa converted to an OA without leaving Thailand. I don't know when it was changed but it seems that it has.

• Like 1

Nancy, I don't think you are correct. OA visas did not used to be available here. I know 4 people that have had an O visa converted to an OA without leaving Thailand. I don't know when it was changed but it seems that it has.

ramrod, they had their 90-day O visas extended 12 months due to retirement. It's not the same as getting an O-A visa. No need for a medical check or police report.

Again, you can't get an O-A visa in Thailand. This has been resolved by the experts over on the Visa forum.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/718823-misinformation-about-visas-on-thai-govt-websites/

I still stand by my statement that you can't get an O-A visa in Thailand. You have to apply outside the country.

Normally, I don't get so pedantic about these matters and try to be kind to people, but JesseFrank just pushed me over the edge with his perfect confidence born out of complete ignorance. He really should learn how to read Thai government websites in the original language if he's going to try to draw conclusions based on them as a sole source, and even then that's not an entirely reliable way gain information.

Edited by NancyL

I entered Thailand on 9 December 2008 on a tourist visa.

attachicon.gifDocument (2).jpg

On 12 December 2008, this visa was transferred to Non immigrant O retirement, at Pattaya immigration

attachicon.gifDocument (1).jpg

Not quite sure what it is you are hoping to show.

In 2008 you applied for a visa change to a Non-Immigrant O visa. On the basis of that visa you received a 90 day permission to stay, and this permission to stay was subsequently extended for one year for the purpose of retirement.

Neither the Non-Immigrant O visa you received nor the subsequent one year extension is a Non-Immigrant OA (long stay) visa. What you have/had is an extension of stay for the purpose of retirement. A Non-Immigrant OA visa allows you to travel to Thailand and receive a one year permission to stay when you arrive, and such a visa can ONLY be applied for at a Thai consulate in your home country (or country of residence if you live outside your own country).

Both ways give you a permission to stay in Thailand for one year, but there are several differences:

• Visas and extensions are the responsibility of different government entities. Visas are issued by a Thai consulate in a foreign country and are the responsibility of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, while extensions are given by Immigration police which (I believe) falls under the purview of the Interior ministry. This division of responsibilities is one reason you should never trust information about extensions posted on the websites of Thai embassies, or information received from immigration about visas issued at the embassies.
  • Since you receive a pre-approved one year stay with a Non-Immigrant OA visa, a police record and health certificate is required. Neither is required when applying for an extension of stay in Thailand.
  • Since a Non-Immigrant OA visa is issued outside Thailand (i.e. before you travel to Thailand), the funds you need to demonstrate can be in a bank account outside Thailand. When applying for an extension the funds have to be in a bank in Thailand.
  • Non-Immigrant OA visas are normally issued as multiple entry. That means that you are free to travel in and out of Thailand as many times as you want during the (one year) validity of your visa, and you will receive a new one year permission to stay every time you enter Thailand. If you have an extension and want to travel, you have to apply for a re-entry permit. The re-entry permit will only protect your current permission to stay, so when you return to Thailand you will only get stamped in until the same date you had before you left (so no new one year permission to stay like with the Non-Immigrant OA visa).
  • Since visas and extensions are not the same, the fees are also not the same when applying for a Non-Immigrant OA visa compared to applying for an extension.

I'm sure there are more differences.

So, while you are free to believe what you wish, other members reading this thread should know that Nancy is quite correct. A Non-Immigrant O visa is not the same as a Non-Immigrant OA visa, nor is an extension of stay based on retirement the same as a Non-Immigrant OA visa. And a Non-Immigrant OA visa is NEVER issued inside Thailand.

Sophon

Edited by Sophon

So, while you are free to believe what you wish, other members reading this thread should know that Nancy is quite correct. A Non-Immigrant O visa is not the same as a Non-Immigrant OA visa, nor is an extension of stay based on retirement the same as a Non-Immigrant OA visa. And a Non-Immigrant OA visa is NEVER issued inside Thailand.

Sophon

This is what the OP asked.

what is the cost for a 1 year retirement visa extension renewal?

It is clear that a 1 year retirement visa doesn't exist, neither abroad or in Thailand, but a 90 day retirement visa exists. There are Non O visas based on marriage and Non O based on retirement, and that is what I got on 12 December 2008.

Then someone started to mention Non O-A visa, which is a long stay visa, and is wrongfully mentioned on the English version of the Thai immigration site that it is available in Thailand.

My point is that on 12 December I got a Visa that clearly said Non O - retirement.