Suvarnabhumi Airport Set To Open On Sept 28

SMS

I remember last year that an expert who had been involved with the setting up of new airports for over 30 years said that the FAA woould have to give their approval before any airport could operate commercially and that would take about 6 months to test and approve all systems, operations, air traffic control, passenger movement, security etc. I notice in the goverment announcement that neither the FAA or any other organisation was mentioned, only Thai Airways.

FAA has nothing to do with it - thailand is as far as I know not part of the united states (although people from that country tend to blur up the difference between "the world" and "the united states of america".

Correct, it's the ICAO, not the US-based FAA that has to issue a certification for the new airport.

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I live in Chinag Mai and have been told that the new airport will deal with international and the old airport will remain the domestic airport. Thanx. I will not longer have any reason to visit BKK as there is no way I would land at one and try to get to the other with all my luggage at the start of a long haul. I will find it easier to get a direct to Singapore and go home from there when I need to. Taking the taxi and tout rip offs into account it will probably be cheaper.

I live in Chinag Mai and have been told that the new airport will deal with international and the old airport will remain the domestic airport. Thanx. I will not longer have any reason to visit BKK as there is no way I would land at one and try to get to the other with all my luggage at the start of a long haul. I will find it easier to get a direct to Singapore and go home from there when I need to. Taking the taxi and tout rip offs into account it will probably be cheaper.

Hmmm ! That's a novel approach. Who "told" you that in Chiangmai ? Travel agent, govt source, hearsay ..... ? I live in CM too and find that "they" tend to say anything ..........

about time

will anyone miss the old airport? those were the days! do you remember when............................................................................

........? :D:o

Well the old airport is going to remain open to service low cost domestic flights.

That link just mentions "low-cost airlines" but doesn't make any mention of domestic or international. Being it's an international airport, I assume that they're referring to low-cost international carriers, not domestic ones. Anyone know what's the real story with the domestic airlines? Does Thai Air plan to transfer all their domestic flights to the new airport? What about Nok Air and Air Asia? If everyone transfers to the new airport, what will the old airport be used for? I'll be flying in a few days after the scheduled opening of the airport and transferring to a domestic flight, probably on Nok Air. I doubt the international flights will be operating out of the new airport at that time, but if the domestic carriers happen to transfer it could really screw up my travel plans. Any detailed information about which domestic carriers will be moving would be appreciated.

I live in Chinag Mai and have been told that the new airport will deal with international and the old airport will remain the domestic airport. Thanx.

Somebody has fed you a line here :o Imaging getting a Thai Airways transfer from domestic to international. It won't happen!!

You might find some real low budget carriers using Don Muang, but Thai have already announced their move. Don't get your things in a tangle :D

Yeah, I think Don Muang is there for the llikes of Air Asia, Nok Air and 1-2-Go so, yes, you're in a bit of an awkward situation if you're transferring straight up to Chiang Mai (for example) with one of these airlines upon arrival at Suvarnabhumi!

I believe Don Muang is being used for cargo also.

Edited by dantilley

How's this, keep Don Muang as an international airport, open the new airport for domestic flights until the new airport passes international certification? This way Taxsin and the officials won't lose face over delays and the new airport can be open "on time". Who knows we may have the biggest domestic airport in the world if the new airport doesn't meet the standards. :o:D

Airport might be finished, I wonder when the skytrain is due to be finished out that way... taxis are gona love this.

Wonder if the "Airport Bus" service will be set up in time?

Will they have a direct run to Pattaya?

Just curious.

What a mess they've gotten us into? :o No real news on tansfers, actual proof the airport will open on a certain date, Don Muang, airport tax, etc....

Let Mr. T get some shocking news on 17th June. He may fall out of his chair. :D

Don Muang stays open is fine with me. :D

Is the golf course finished yet? :o

Yes but it's also cracked all over. Clay is not recommended for golf courses.

Yea the next Thailand Open can be held there. We can invite either Tiger Woods or John Daly for the long drive competition :D

I have a friend in airportbusiness. He says that the logistics for a big airport is a reall challenge. It will take years before they can handle all upcoming problems reosonably quick. Taking over all traffic from Don Muang over a night? Forget it.

If I have to go out of the country after the new airport is opened in BKK I will try Chiang Mai the first couple of years!

And I said before, Suvarnabhumi will not be in full traffic until 2008!

Update:

Budget airline passengers will test new airport

BANGKOK: -- Airports of Thailand Plc said today that five budget airlines have agreed to participate in tests of the overall systems at Bangkok's Suvarnabhumi international airport on July 29, before its official opening about two months later, a senior official said Saturday.

Somchai Sawasdipol, director of Suvarnabhumi airport, said five low-cost airlines had agreed to join tests of the check-in system at both arrival and departure lounges. He indicated that his agency was also contacting Thai Airways International to participate in the test as well.

The government will hold a press conference on the plan to hold the test after meeting with the airport committee on June 19, he said.

Nok Air, one of five budget airlines which will participate in the test, plans to make a stopover at the new airport for its flight from Chiang Mai in the North to Hat Yai in the South, Mr. Somchai said.

Airports of Thailand also plans to conduct similar tests for international flights, including Hong Kong and Japan, in the near future so that they can be well prepared before the official opening of the new facility.

--TNA 2006-06-10

....and now we have this little gem to bring all the airlines flocking into the new airport....

"At 132 metres, the control tower will be the highest in the world, a factor which Mr. Vichet said would help attract international airlines and tourists to the new airport..."

....and now we have this little gem to bring all the airlines flocking into the new airport....

"At 132 metres, the control tower will be the highest in the world, a factor which Mr. Vichet said would help attract international airlines and tourists to the new airport..."

I would think that he would be hard pressed to name just one from either category (airline or tourist).

Question: does having a single air traffic control tower that is the highest in the world make one the hub of anything?

Will the passengers have to buy additional insurance and will they be covered for test flights into an officially unopened airport? :D This isn't just a grass strip for Piper Cubs.

Hard on the the equipment too with hour /cycle ratios. Direct operational costs will go up for budget carriers who don't have budgets for this type of maintenance. Who pays the maintenance? Wonder if the owners of the aircraft are concerned?

The caretaker government may change its name to undertaker government. I totally disagree with any operations until they get the green light from the ICAO and other civil aviation agencies.

You may send e-mails to [email protected] attention Mr. L. B. Shah, Regional Director ICAO, Asia and Pacific (APAC) Office in Bangkok.

I asked the following:

Can you confirm the opening date of the Suvarnabhumi Airport or New Bangkok International Airport? What will happen with Don Muang or Bangkok International/Domestic Airport?

These are under your scope and responsibilities, right? Ensuring a safe, secure, efficient and economical air transport system. :o

Will the airport be fully operational for commercial aircraft and international/domestic passengers and traffic?

Are the budget carrier test flights covered by insurance or is this a risk that the government would like to take in order to satisfy their political agenda?

The airport could use one more delay until after the elections. I don't see how it will hurt the country to wait 30 days more when they have waited 30 plus years for the new airport.

:D

"I have a friend in airportbusiness. He says that the logistics for a big airport is a reall challenge. "

No way! Opening a big airport is a "challange"...I had no idea.

"It will take years before they can handle all upcoming problems reosonably quick"

"Years" and "reasonably (I assume that was the word you were trying to spell) quick" are mutually exclusive, and it's rather confusing that you'd use the words and phrases together.

Evidently everyone has forgotten how many times the opening of DIA was delayed, and how long it took to troubleshoot the high-tech baggage handling system took. If you think that any airport opened when it was originally scheduled and without any problems, you are wrong.

"Years" and "reasonably (I assume that was the word you were trying to spell) quick" are mutually exclusive, and it's rather confusing that you'd use the words and phrases together.

Evidently everyone has forgotten how many times the opening of DIA was delayed, and how long it took to troubleshoot the high-tech baggage handling system took. If you think that any airport opened when it was originally scheduled and without any problems, you are wrong.

I took him to mean that it will be "years" for all the present problems to be solved and to get the airport running smoothly - only THEN will it be possible to solve any new problems quickly. No ?

And DIA ( Denver ? ) and it's baggage handling conveyor system problem - did that delay flights / traffic and compromise passenger safety ? Or just (!) inconvenience the travellers - long waits, lost luggage, damaged luggage, misdirected luggage etc ?

It has been the usual amusing exercise to watch the succession of delay announcements for the new airport opening. For those that are really interested in the "real" opening dates here are some indicators:

The Thai Air Crew have been told that they are not moving to the new airport for at least another 1.5 years.

The airport has not been certified by the relevant international bodies as safe for landing/use. This means that internatianl carriers landing here have no insurance. Until there is international certification then the airport will only be landing Thai flights.

Thailand's refusal to allow for independant interlational assessment of the site.

The above three are easy to cross check for those who are interested.

A little more difficult to check is all of the following series of events:

Barnharn

Sand used as the underlying runway base instead of the proper more stable materials (yes sand is cheaper)

A Delta tidal flow that extends to Ayhudaya

Satellite images showing sand sucked out from below the airport site

large gaps under the existing runway

Announcement that a dam wall is need to stop "flooding" (not the tidal factor)

refusal to allow runway checking

cracks appearing in and near the runway.

A Swiss company approached to stabalise the soil under the runway and to fix the holes, which they refused due to the diffculties in stabalising sand.

Bottom line, until someone admits the problem exists and it is fixed there will be no opening or Thai only flights.

I hope that they have it well lit ......would be nothing worse than a 747 sat on it :o

The Thai Air Crew have been told that they are not moving to the new airport for at least another 1.5 years.

The airport has not been certified by the relevant international bodies as safe for landing/use. This means that internatianl carriers landing here have no insurance. Until there is international certification then the airport will only be landing Thai flights.

Do you have a source for that bold statement? I only saw a Thai Airways announcement the other day, stating that they were in the process of shifting facilities to the new airport.