Suvarnabhumi Airport Set To Open On Sept 28

SMS

....and now we have this little gem to bring all the airlines flocking into the new airport....

"At 132 metres, the control tower will be the highest in the world, a factor which Mr. Vichet said would help attract international airlines and tourists to the new airport..."

I hope that they have it well lit ......would be nothing worse than a 747 sat on it :D

Except for an A380 ! :D God, rated for up to 853 passengers, imagine the queue for the loo before an early-morning landing at LHR, ... or the wait for a Chang from those delightful TG air-hostesses. :o

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you think that any airport opened when it was originally scheduled and without any problems, you are wrong.

You are correct and that is precisely why Thailand is trying so hard for a double entry into the Guiness Book of World Records for the longest delay in opening an airport as well as the greatest number of announced openings...

I just happen to have reservations to fly out of BKK on Sept 28th. I have just emailed the airline and asked them what they know- should i plan on the new airport or Don Muang, etc. This should be interesting.....

What worries me the most and that I can't seem to find in other replies is the safety at Suvarnabhumi !

All this rush and stress is NOT good for the airport safety.. remember the collapsed airport terminal as Paris Airport? I sure hope Suvarnabhumi will not face such thing... I rather have a delay of another 2 years then many people having to risk their life because of lack of safe structures.

Just back from Japan and I asked a few airport employees (immigration, King, limousine, taxi) when they will move to the new airport. None of them know exactly most of them answered end of the year and only one answered within 3 months (I asked 20 people).

Oh, and about being ready for the airbus a 380, they have delayed their first delivery with another 6 to 8 months so no worries for that for the new airport, plenty of time left to prepare.

Alex

UPDATED WITH NEW TESTING DATE AND THE UTILIZATION OF THE 2 AIRPORTS

Airlines to test new airport

Six Thai airlines will conduct test flights next month at Bangkok's new international airport, which is expected to open in late September, an official said yesterday.

Somchai Sawasdeepon, director of the new airport said, "Local airlines will launch test flights on July 29, to pave the way for the opening of the airport's commercial operations. They will be real flights, meaning passengers will have to pay for tickets."

Caretaker Transport Minister Pongsak Ruktapongpisal confirmed that September 28 was the scheduled date for commercial opening. "The first flight to land at the airport is scheduled for 3am on September 28, but there are no details about the flight or where it will fly from," he said. "There won't be any worries." av-5232.gif

- - insert stumonster's avatar here - -

Story continues here (including new information on how the new and old newports will be utilized):

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2006/06/20...ss_30006847.php

Edited by penzman

Will the guinea pig passengers be informed of this long before boarding? :o

This airport is destined to be an INTERNATIONAL airport and it will be tested with the help of Local airlines? Are they allowed to toy around with the airport until it is internationaly certified? Or are they skipping steps here?

I sometimes think kids would do better using Sim City (videogame) as an interface to manage these projects. :D

Will the guinea pig passengers be informed of this long before boarding? :o

The standard form will be utilized and signed prior to participation:

RELEASE, WAIVER AND INDEMNIFICATION

I, (Print Name)_____________________________, for good and valuable consideration of which receipt is hereby acknowledged, specifically release, remise and forever discharge Suvarnabhumi Airport, its employees, servants, agents and/or assigns from any and all liability which may arise as hereinafter outlined, and my signature on this form further constitutes my acceptance and understanding of the terms, conditions and information contained herein.

I acknowledge that I have received the Notice and Assumption of Risk, I have read, understand and accept the risks outlined. I represent that I am pretty much of sound mind, competent, do not have any physical, really really severe mental or other impairments or disabilities that may affect my safety or the safety of the group. I agree that I alone am responsible for my safety while participating in the landing and/or take-off of aircraft at an uncertified airport. I specifically acknowledge that the following persons and/or entities, including but not limited to, Suvarnabhumi Airport, its directors, administrators, employees, servants, agents and/or assigns are not responsible for my safety during my participation in the opening day landings and take-offs. I specifically Release and Discharge those parties from any and all liability, whether known or unknown, even though the liability may arise out of the negligence or carelessness on the part of the persons or entities mentioned above. I agree to accept any and all responsibility for the risks, conditions and/or hazards which may occur.

Being fully aware of the risks, conditions and/or hazards of the proposed activity as a participator, I hereby agree to Waive, Release and Discharge any and all claims, demands, actions and/or causes of action which I may have hereinafter accrue as a result of my participation in the aforementioned activities, against any person or entity whether such injury or damage was foreseeable.

I further agree to forever Hold Harmless and Indemnify all persons or entities as heretofore outlined, generally or specifically, from any and all liability for personal injury, death and/or property damage resulting from my participation in airport operations which may occur to myself, or which I may cause to any third person as a result of my participation.

I expressly acknowledge and agree that the above stated activity is extremely dangerous and may involve risk of personal injury, death and/or property damage. I further expressly agree that the foregoing Release, Waiver and Indemnification is intended to be governed by the laws of Thailand and is intended to be as broad and inclusive as is permitted by the laws of Thailand, and that if any portion of it is held invalid, it is agreed that the balance shall, notwithstanding, continue in full legal force and effect.

I have read, understand and voluntarily signed the release, waiver of liability and indemnity agreement, and further state that no oral representations, statements or inducements apart from the foregoing written agreement have been made.

Signature of Releasor________________________________

Witness_______________________________

Date _____________

Six Thai airlines will conduct test flights next month at Bangkok's new international airport, which is expected to open in late September, an official said yesterday.

Caretaker Transport Minister Pongsak Ruktapongpisal confirmed that September 28 was the scheduled date for commercial opening. "The first flight to land at the airport is scheduled for 3am on September 28, but there are no details about the flight or where it will fly from," he said. "There won't be any worries."

I cannot for one moment, imagine that Thai Airways agreed to this " stick your toe in the water to see if it's hot enough" fiasco, unless there was certain pressure brought to bear. Excluding Thai, I can't think of six airlines anyway.

We've had "opening dates" speculated on for the last year, but to make an even bolder statement such as...."The first flight to land at the airport is scheduled for 3am on September 28"

Only time will tell. :o

Govt confirms airport opening date

The caretaker government yesterday confirmed that the new Suvarnabhumi International Airport will open for commercial operations on September 28, replacing Don Muang as Bangkok’s sole international airport.

The decision was announced by Transport Minister Pongsak Raktapongpaisal yesterday after a meeting between caretaker Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra and parties involved with the new airport project.

Five domestic airlines – Thai AirAsia, Nok Air, Orient Thai’s One-Two-Go, Bangkok Airways and PB Air – will be taking part in a major test of Suvarnabhumi on July 29, when they will operate from the airport for the first time.

Airports of Thailand (AoT) has been conducting two integrated systems tests a week, said Somchai Sawasdeepon, Suvarnabhumi airport general director.

“All involved agencies confirmed with the prime minister that everything is going well and we will be ready for the opening on September 28,” said Somchai yesterday.

For airlines taking part in the test, special transport has been laid on for passengers, said Chaisak Angkasuwan, director-general of the Civil Aviation Department, adding that passengers on the day would receive special AoT certificates.

As an incentive for low-cost carriers to take part in the test, there will be no service charges or landing fees at Suvarnabhumi airport and airports such as Chiang Mai, Phuket and Hat Yai.

“I think many people will want to fly to the new airport,” Chaisak said.

AoT said it will invite domestic and international airlines to Suvarnabhumi to talk about moving operations from Don Muang after July 29, if the tests are successful.

When Suvarnabhumi officially opens on September 28, Don Muang will close to all but charter operators. Its long-term fate is yet to be decided.

Source: ThaiDay - 20 June 2006

I agree there's been tremendous pressure put this opening thing on and get the ball rollin' to a real and actual opening. This is becoming quite an embarassment the longer this takes and I'm sure the TRT government is wanting very much to remove this albatross from around its neck. If this means compromising safety and international standards... then so be it.

Face is ever so important and they lose some more of it with each and every passing day.

3 am will be a nice debut time for those within the flight path of approaching flights.

An older 747 screeching along in the dead of night with loads of people living beneath it who thought they were hi-so because their house was in the suburbs and the attraction and the glitz of living in the newly formed province, Airport City, was quite a status symbol.

These people will be in for a literal rude awakening, especially when faced with the future of this going on numerous times every hour. It's been funny to follow the papers about the jockeying of residents in the adjacent areas to the facility and how they've lobbied and campaigned against each to obtain the best (which means least) number of flights flying over a particular area. It's certainly not been equally distributed and that distribution pattern points to the richer of the rich winning out with some areas having no flights anywhere near them despite their proximity to the airfield... while other areas will be very heavily trafficked.

Edited by sriracha john

Govt confirms airport opening date

Five domestic airlines – Thai AirAsia, Nok Air, Orient Thai’s One-Two-Go, Bangkok Airways and PB Air – will be taking part in a major test of Suvarnabhumi on July 29, when they will operate from the airport for the first time.

For airlines taking part in the test, special transport has been laid on for passengers, said Chaisak Angkasuwan, director-general of the Civil Aviation Department, adding that passengers on the day would receive special AoT certificates.

Source: ThaiDay - 20 June 2006

Firstly they stated there will be six domestic airlines participating, and now it's down to five :o Any advances on this?

The thought of special transport makes me shudder, I wonder exactly what they have in mind?

Firstly they stated there will be six domestic airlines participating, and now it's down to five :o Any advances on this?

quote]

Has anyone noted which one of the "six" dropped out ? Thai Inter ! I wonder why ?

Has anyone noted which one of the "six" dropped out ? Thai Inter ! I wonder why ?

Domestic to International connections springs to mind :o Plus the fact that the airport would not be internationally certified by then. Two very good reasons!

And now...

SUVARNABHUMI

All flights must use new airport from Sept 28

Suvarnabhumi international airport will handle all regular commercial flights into Bangkok from Sept 28, caretaker Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra announced yesterday.

Mr Thaksin, who chaired a meeting of the Suvarnabhumi airport development committee yesterday, based his announcement on briefings he received on progress in the airport's construction.

Progress and system checks justified the confidence that Suvarnabhumi could take over all regular commercial operations from Don Muang airport in one go at 3am on Sept 28, he said.

He had ordered Airports of Thailand Plc (AoT) to inform all airlines flying into Bangkok of the decision.

A plan for Don Muang airport to serve low-cost airlines had been cancelled, Mr Thaksin said.

"All regular commercial flights will switch to Suvarnabhumi, while Don Muang airport will, from then on, serve only government and military flights, along with private and charter flights," he said.

Don Muang could be used to reduce the workload of Suvarnabhumi in the future if the new airport reaches its full capacity of serving 45 million passengers annually, he said.

Don Muang's air passenger volume stands at 39 million annually.

Caretaker Transport Minister Pongsak Raktapongpaisal expected Suvarnabhumi to be at full capacity in three years.

More here on The Bangkok Post

I can't believe how they're bending over backwards when there's no one left to fool but themselves. :o

The Cabinet will consider the Suvarnabhumi City Act

Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra has affirmed that the Cabinet meeting today will take the Suvarnabhumi City Act into consideration.

Pol. Lt. Gen. Thaksin stated that the Suvarnabhumi City Act will be submitted to the Office of the Council of State, following today’s Cabinet meeting. The Council of State Office will then consider the legal issues of the act.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 20 June 2006

And now...

SUVARNABHUMI

Suvarnabhumi international airport will handle all regular commercial flights into Bangkok from Sept 28, caretaker Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra announced yesterday.

Mr Thaksin, who chaired a meeting of the Suvarnabhumi airport development committee yesterday, based his announcement on briefings he received on progress in the airport's construction.

Progress and system checks justified the confidence that Suvarnabhumi could take over all regular commercial operations from Don Muang airport in one go at 3am on Sept 28, he said.

He had ordered Airports of Thailand Plc (AoT) to inform all airlines flying into Bangkok of the decision.

A plan for Don Muang airport to serve low-cost airlines had been cancelled, Mr Thaksin said.

"All regular commercial flights will switch to Suvarnabhumi, while Don Muang airport will, from then on, serve only government and military flights, along with private and charter flights," he said.

Don Muang could be used to reduce the workload of Suvarnabhumi in the future if the new airport reaches its full capacity of serving 45 million passengers annually, he said.

Caretaker Transport Minister Pongsak Raktapongpaisal expected Suvarnabhumi to be at full capacity in three years.

I can't believe how they're bending over backwards when there's no one left to fool but themselves. :o

I thougt that these guys were supposed to be a Caretaker gov, shouldn't the decisions about the future of the old airport be left the new gov? It is going be a taxi drivers dream, taking people to an airport with absolutely no form of pubiic transport!

And now...

SUVARNABHUMI

I thougt that these guys were supposed to be a Caretaker gov, shouldn't the decisions about the future of the old airport be left the new gov? It is going be a taxi drivers dream, taking people to an airport with absolutely no form of pubiic transport!

The rush as well as the increased responsibility for Airport City to have control over all flights might have something to do with the new province's governing system, where the PM is the person in direct charge... sort of like having his own little fiefdom. By quickly shuffling the maximum amount of power into the new province, it increases his own power.

a 15 % increase when it is running at maximum ??? :D:o

Thats generous really. They are both two runway airports, only so many planes can land on two runways in 24 hours no matter how big the tower is. The good news is that the runways at Suvarnabhumi are farther apart allowing for one landing every minute where Don Muang is one landing every 70 seconds.

The new airport is only marginally bigger than Don Muang, I dont think they added many gates either. I had heard that Don Muang actually had more gates than the new airport but I find that hard to believe.

The good news is that there is plenty of space to add runways in the future. If they start working on it now, I see no reason that they cant be done in time for the next Olympics to be held in Thailand.