Driving Lessons in Pattaya

chris2004

Thinking of getting car driving lessons for my tgf (yes i know). I checked previous topics but they are somewhat out of date now. Can anyone recommend a driving school in the Jomtien area, there seemed to be some on Thepprasit Road. What is the cost for lessons, test etc and do they use their car. I don't particularly want her using mine until she is "trained".

Also what is the licence position. Can they drive without a car licence, as they obviously don't get one until they have passed the test. Or is there some sort of provisional licence like we have in the UK.

Thinking of getting car driving lessons for my tgf (yes i know). I checked previous topics but they are somewhat out of date now. Can anyone recommend a driving school in the Jomtien area, there seemed to be some on Thepprasit Road. What is the cost for lessons, test etc and do they use their car. I don't particularly want her using mine until she is "trained".

Also what is the licence position. Can they drive without a car licence, as they obviously don't get one until they have passed the test. Or is there some sort of provisional licence like we have in the UK.

You don't have any time to teach her yourself...you want her to pick up all the wrong driving techniques from a Thai instructor?

• Like 1

I used a school at the Beach end of Thepprasit at the back of a little restaurant. Don't remember the cost, but didn't think it was expensive at the time. The gf used the school's car. The only license she ever had was the one she got after her test.

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa app

Sorry I have no up to date information on driving schools but I doubt they have changed much. They usually provide the vehicle for the test which is included in the lesson cost. As you will have read in the other threads one of the major issues is that a lot of the instruction is just to teach them to pass the 5 minute practical test - which in itself is only a very small subset of driving a car.

You could take her to practice at the Sports/Exhibition centre or whatever it is called on the east side of Suk the next crossroads after Makro. A lot of the schools seem to use the car park there for lessons. Also you can (or could before) drive around the back of the building so making a complete circuit without hopefully any other cars in the way.

If you find someone good please let us all know.

Four Thai ladies in my village have obtained their driving licences after receiving driving lessons, but each one of them is terrified to drive around Pattaya because of the crazy drivers and the congested traffic. Try driving down Nern Plubwaan in peak hour, with motorbikes weaving in and out, cars double parked giving inches to scrape through etc. It's not for the faint-hearted or novice driver.

• Like 2

Why don't you teach her to drive yourself? That will be 100 times better than going to a thai driving school. Passing the driving test is a joke in Thailand. If you want her to drive safely on the roads in your "expensive" car you should care about this.

Sent from my SM-P601 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• 6 months later...

Sorry I have no up to date information on driving schools but I doubt they have changed much. They usually provide the vehicle for the test which is included in the lesson cost. As you will have read in the other threads one of the major issues is that a lot of the instruction is just to teach them to pass the 5 minute practical test - which in itself is only a very small subset of driving a car.

You could take her to practice at the Sports/Exhibition centre or whatever it is called on the east side of Suk the next crossroads after Makro. A lot of the schools seem to use the car park there for lessons. Also you can (or could before) drive around the back of the building so making a complete circuit without hopefully any other cars in the way.

Just finished getting the girl her license three weeks ago, and it was a great move and the school seemed to be very good :

On Pattaya klang across from foodland

Purchased ten hours, multiple teachers to choose from, girl tried a few and then closed on one and was able to book in advance with him.

They provide cars for driving and accompany students on the test day.

The appointment can be a bit annoying, in the system still many looking for favours and she to her credit did not want to do that (nor I), so it took a few weeks of stop/start to get appt. I do not feel that the school is the issue, I think it is the ministry, but cannot confirm.

Her test day, they start with 100 students. First up is practical. A full 80 failed that.

The remaining 20 then completed the multiple choice testing. 16 of 20 failed.

The four remaining that passed both practical and written were my girl and her three school pals, all were from the same school. So a great outcome for them. Has to be noted that about 20 from the school went that day, so still a high failure rate, but the glimmer of hope was the four.

She has been driving since the first day, I have not touched the wheel since...long awaited break. I am truly impressed how well she is doing....highway skills better than central pattaya but too be expected, take time to get used to all the moving parts on these busy narrow streets.

Great outcome so highly recommend them.

Bought her additional ten hours now so after a month he can see how she is doing and jump on bad habits before they get ingrained. I spent about six months just talking her thru the process while we drove, so she had some awareness it. But I could not do the teaching, best investment I have made in some time, I am firmly in the passenger seat and loving it....will only now switch for pleasure driving...the heavy lifting is over lol.

• Like 1

Just finished getting the girl her license three weeks ago, and it was a great move and the school seemed to be very good :

Purchased ten hours, multiple teachers to choose from, girl tried a few and then closed on one and was able to book in advance with him.

The appointment can be a bit annoying, in the system still many looking for favours and she to her credit did not want to do that (nor I), so it took a few weeks of stop/start to get appt. I do not feel that the school is the issue, I think it is the ministry, but cannot confirm.

Her test day, they start with 100 students. First up is practical. A full 80 failed that.

The four remaining that passed both practical and written were my girl and her three school pals, all were from the same school. So a great outcome for them. Has to be noted that about 20 from the school went that day, so still a high failure rate, but the glimmer of hope was the four.

She has been driving since the first day, I have not touched the wheel since...long awaited break. I am truly impressed how well she is doing....highway skills better than central pattaya but too be expected, take time to get used to all the moving parts on these busy narrow streets.

Bought her additional ten hours now so after a month he can see how she is doing and jump on bad habits before they get ingrained. I spent about six months just talking her thru the process while we drove, so she had some awareness it. But I could not do the teaching, best investment I have made in some time, I am firmly in the passenger seat and loving it....will only now switch for pleasure driving...the heavy lifting is over lol.

Glad to here she is doing well thumbsup.gif

My gf also used them. One can hope from what you say that things have changed (with the DLT centre) because when she went 8 out of the 20 or so only went to have their photos taken - no tests of any description having already "paid" via the school...........

Glad to here she is doing well thumbsup.gif

My gf also used them. One can hope from what you say that things have changed (with the DLT centre) because when she went 8 out of the 20 or so only went to have their photos taken - no tests of any description having already "paid" via the school...........

Yes a friend of mine "paid" to get his tgf a licence without any sort of training/testing. Needless to say within a few months she wrote off his milliion baht car.